Tirz or mental toughness? I can't tell!

Sacajaweeda

Explorer
Joined
Jul 5, 2026
Messages
10
Reaction score
0
Location
Michigan
Before this, I've dropped a lot of weight with no help at all. Earlier this year I even did a daily 20-24 hour fast and shed about 30 pounds over 3 months.

I quit nicotine 3.5 months ago. Since then, keeping cravings in check has been genuinely rough.

Tirz entered the picture 6 weeks ago. I ran 3mg for 3 weeks, and I'm now in week 3 at 6mg. The weight is coming off again, but I'm definitely still hungry and food is still on my mind. Is this simply the right dose? Is it not working yet and it's placebo? Or am I just being mentally tough and pushing through the cravings? It's really hard to tell. Before starting tirz, I figured I'd physically notice a real difference. Maybe I was wrong? Just wondering what you all think. Thanks!
 
For certain individuals, the quieting of food noise and the drop in appetite show up right away. With others, nothing happens until the dose goes higher. The starting doses exist to let your body adjust to the medication, and ideally to keep side effects from hitting you all at once.
 
honestly, the way things are going is totally okay with me. i suppose i just thought the early phase would feel different. most likely i'll stay at 6 until the weight loss stalls, then bump the dose up.

spanky2026 said:

For certain individuals, the quieting of food noise and the drop in appetite show up right away. With others, nothing happens until the dose goes higher. The starting doses exist to let your body adjust to the medication, and ideally to keep side effects from hitting you all at once.
 
Sacajaweeda said:

honestly, the way things are going is totally okay with me. i suppose i just thought the early phase would feel different. most likely i'll stay at 6 until the weight loss stalls, then bump the dose up.

spanky2026 said:

For certain individuals, the quieting of food noise and the drop in appetite show up right away. With others, nothing happens until the dose goes higher. The starting doses exist to let your body adjust to the medication, and ideally to keep side effects from hitting you all at once.
Your brain might be tangling the nicotine habit with the mental food noise, making it tough to tell them apart. A lot of people swap nicotine for food or sweets to get that same dopamine rush, so you could be dealing with two struggles at once. Higher doses seem to help some people with addiction, though you might want to look that up separately. Best of luck — once you settle into a routine you can stick with, it'll gradually feel more normal. Be patient with yourself and cut yourself some slack; if this were quick and easy, everyone would have solved it long ago and nobody would be dealing with weight problems.
 
CranberryRocker said:

Sacajaweeda said:

honestly, the way things are going is totally okay with me. i suppose i just thought the early phase would feel different. most likely i'll stay at 6 until the weight loss stalls, then bump the dose up.

spanky2026 said:

For certain individuals, the quieting of food noise and the drop in appetite show up right away. With others, nothing happens until the dose goes higher. The starting doses exist to let your body adjust to the medication, and ideally to keep side effects from hitting you all at once.
Your brain might be tangling the nicotine habit with the mental food noise, making it tough to tell them apart. A lot of people swap nicotine for food or sweets to get that same dopamine rush, so you could be dealing with two struggles at once. Higher doses seem to help some people with addiction, though you might want to look that up separately. Best of luck — once you settle into a routine you can stick with, it'll gradually feel more normal. Be patient with yourself and cut yourself some slack; if this were quick and easy, everyone would have solved it long ago and nobody would be dealing with weight problems.
thanks for the encouragement! after quitting nicotine, my sweet cravings were absolutely brutal — at least until tirz came along, i suppose. now that i really reflect on it, i still get those cravings occasionally, but i don't feel compelled to give in.
 
Sacajaweeda said:

Before this, I've dropped a lot of weight with no help at all. Earlier this year I even did a daily 20-24 hour fast and shed about 30 pounds over 3 months.

I quit nicotine 3.5 months ago. Since then, keeping cravings in check has been genuinely rough.

Tirz entered the picture 6 weeks ago. I ran 3mg for 3 weeks, and I'm now in week 3 at 6mg. The weight is coming off again, but I'm definitely still hungry and food is still on my mind. Is this simply the right dose? Is it not working yet and it's placebo? Or am I just being mentally tough and pushing through the cravings? It's really hard to tell. Before starting tirz, I figured I'd physically notice a real difference. Maybe I was wrong? Just wondering what you all think. Thanks!
Two separate factors are at play in your situation.

One: because you had already dropped some pounds on your own, it makes sense that food noise starts sneaking back in. The general pattern is that the more weight comes off, the louder that noise gets. If you're unsure whether tirz is having any effect, try pausing it for 2 or 3 weeks and observe the outcome! My own trajectory was roughly the same as yours. I dropped weight through intermittent fasting until it became genuinely difficult, then switched to sema and afterward tirz. When I attempted to quit, wow, did I get a harsh reality check.

Two: you gave up nicotine. That's a major factor. I don't think I would have made that change so early. Only alter 1 variable at a time, and do it SLOWLY, so you can tell what is driving your cravings and how to tweak the doses.

This isn't a sprint to the end, it's a process. Even a steady 5lbs per month is perfectly acceptable. Keep in mind the aim is reaching your goal weight and remaining there permanently. If it takes an extra month or 2, who cares. So long as the weight keeps coming off, you'll arrive.

One more thing: 6mg is a sub clinical dose. If you are losing, or intend to lose, 20%+ of your starting bodyweight, you'll have to go higher. These drugs are safe, so when weight stalls, don't hesitate to move up to 10mg and then 15mg if needed.

Good luck!
 
Take a look at page 22 in the Tirzepatide study

It seems like people who had already shed pounds before beginning reached a fairly high total weight loss %

Now put that next to the trial that had no lead in, which landed at 17-21%

Over 72 weeks of treatment, patients taking tirzepatide (Mounjaro, Zepbound) lose an average of 15% to 21% of their starting body weight. This translates to about 34 to 48 pounds for someone weighing 230 pounds. Results vary by dosage, with higher weekly doses producing greater reductions

Click to expand...

Weight Reduction Following Intensive Lifestyle Intervention in Adults with Obesity or Overweight (Study 3)Overview of Study 3Study 3 (NCT04657016) was an 84-week trial with a 12-week intensive lifestyle intervention lead-in period (Week -12 toWeek 0), followed by a 72-week randomized treatment period of ZEPBOUND versus placebo (Week 0 to Week 72) with astandard lifestyle intervention. Only patients who lost ≥5% body weight during the 12-week intensive lifestyle lead-inperiod entered the 72-week randomized treatment period.

Click to expand...


https://pi.lilly.com/us/zepbound-uspi.pdf






3ac568a907e4efed52198c6002d9222ccdcf297b4fd6d4b80c61c6b3a9153329.webp
 
Devilseye said:

Sacajaweeda said:

Before this, I've dropped a lot of weight with no help at all. Earlier this year I even did a daily 20-24 hour fast and shed about 30 pounds over 3 months.

I quit nicotine 3.5 months ago. Since then, keeping cravings in check has been genuinely rough.

Tirz entered the picture 6 weeks ago. I ran 3mg for 3 weeks, and I'm now in week 3 at 6mg. The weight is coming off again, but I'm definitely still hungry and food is still on my mind. Is this simply the right dose? Is it not working yet and it's placebo? Or am I just being mentally tough and pushing through the cravings? It's really hard to tell. Before starting tirz, I figured I'd physically notice a real difference. Maybe I was wrong? Just wondering what you all think. Thanks!
Two separate factors are at play in your situation.

One: because you had already dropped some pounds on your own, it makes sense that food noise starts sneaking back in. The general pattern is that the more weight comes off, the louder that noise gets. If you're unsure whether tirz is having any effect, try pausing it for 2 or 3 weeks and observe the outcome! My own trajectory was roughly the same as yours. I dropped weight through intermittent fasting until it became genuinely difficult, then switched to sema and afterward tirz. When I attempted to quit, wow, did I get a harsh reality check.

Two: you gave up nicotine. That's a major factor. I don't think I would have made that change so early. Only alter 1 variable at a time, and do it SLOWLY, so you can tell what is driving your cravings and how to tweak the doses.

This isn't a sprint to the end, it's a process. Even a steady 5lbs per month is perfectly acceptable. Keep in mind the aim is reaching your goal weight and remaining there permanently. If it takes an extra month or 2, who cares. So long as the weight keeps coming off, you'll arrive.

One more thing: 6mg is a sub clinical dose. If you are losing, or intend to lose, 20%+ of your starting bodyweight, you'll have to go higher. These drugs are safe, so when weight stalls, don't hesitate to move up to 10mg and then 15mg if needed.

Good luck!
When you say clinical dose of tirz, what number are you thinking of? In my case, 1mg does it. Maybe even less would work — 1mg is simply where I land.
 
AngieHolmes said:

Devilseye said:

Sacajaweeda said:

Before this, I've dropped a lot of weight with no help at all. Earlier this year I even did a daily 20-24 hour fast and shed about 30 pounds over 3 months.

I quit nicotine 3.5 months ago. Since then, keeping cravings in check has been genuinely rough.

Tirz entered the picture 6 weeks ago. I ran 3mg for 3 weeks, and I'm now in week 3 at 6mg. The weight is coming off again, but I'm definitely still hungry and food is still on my mind. Is this simply the right dose? Is it not working yet and it's placebo? Or am I just being mentally tough and pushing through the cravings? It's really hard to tell. Before starting tirz, I figured I'd physically notice a real difference. Maybe I was wrong? Just wondering what you all think. Thanks!
Two separate factors are at play in your situation.

One: because you had already dropped some pounds on your own, it makes sense that food noise starts sneaking back in. The general pattern is that the more weight comes off, the louder that noise gets. If you're unsure whether tirz is having any effect, try pausing it for 2 or 3 weeks and observe the outcome! My own trajectory was roughly the same as yours. I dropped weight through intermittent fasting until it became genuinely difficult, then switched to sema and afterward tirz. When I attempted to quit, wow, did I get a harsh reality check.

Two: you gave up nicotine. That's a major factor. I don't think I would have made that change so early. Only alter 1 variable at a time, and do it SLOWLY, so you can tell what is driving your cravings and how to tweak the doses.

This isn't a sprint to the end, it's a process. Even a steady 5lbs per month is perfectly acceptable. Keep in mind the aim is reaching your goal weight and remaining there permanently. If it takes an extra month or 2, who cares. So long as the weight keeps coming off, you'll arrive.

One more thing: 6mg is a sub clinical dose. If you are losing, or intend to lose, 20%+ of your starting bodyweight, you'll have to go higher. These drugs are safe, so when weight stalls, don't hesitate to move up to 10mg and then 15mg if needed.

Good luck!
When you say clinical dose of tirz, what number are you thinking of? In my case, 1mg does it. Maybe even less would work — 1mg is simply where I land.
The amount of weight loss percentage you need to keep off is what determines everything. Only at 10mg-15mg were the 20% weight loss averages reached.
 
AngieHolmes said:

Devilseye said:

Sacajaweeda said:

Before this, I've dropped a lot of weight with no help at all. Earlier this year I even did a daily 20-24 hour fast and shed about 30 pounds over 3 months.

I quit nicotine 3.5 months ago. Since then, keeping cravings in check has been genuinely rough.

Tirz entered the picture 6 weeks ago. I ran 3mg for 3 weeks, and I'm now in week 3 at 6mg. The weight is coming off again, but I'm definitely still hungry and food is still on my mind. Is this simply the right dose? Is it not working yet and it's placebo? Or am I just being mentally tough and pushing through the cravings? It's really hard to tell. Before starting tirz, I figured I'd physically notice a real difference. Maybe I was wrong? Just wondering what you all think. Thanks!
Two separate factors are at play in your situation.

One: because you had already dropped some pounds on your own, it makes sense that food noise starts sneaking back in. The general pattern is that the more weight comes off, the louder that noise gets. If you're unsure whether tirz is having any effect, try pausing it for 2 or 3 weeks and observe the outcome! My own trajectory was roughly the same as yours. I dropped weight through intermittent fasting until it became genuinely difficult, then switched to sema and afterward tirz. When I attempted to quit, wow, did I get a harsh reality check.

Two: you gave up nicotine. That's a major factor. I don't think I would have made that change so early. Only alter 1 variable at a time, and do it SLOWLY, so you can tell what is driving your cravings and how to tweak the doses.

This isn't a sprint to the end, it's a process. Even a steady 5lbs per month is perfectly acceptable. Keep in mind the aim is reaching your goal weight and remaining there permanently. If it takes an extra month or 2, who cares. So long as the weight keeps coming off, you'll arrive.

One more thing: 6mg is a sub clinical dose. If you are losing, or intend to lose, 20%+ of your starting bodyweight, you'll have to go higher. These drugs are safe, so when weight stalls, don't hesitate to move up to 10mg and then 15mg if needed.

Good luck!
When you say clinical dose of tirz, what number are you thinking of? In my case, 1mg does it. Maybe even less would work — 1mg is simply where I land.

Technically, the clinical range runs from 2.5mg through 15mg. Your own effective dose is a different matter, though — it might begin as low as 1mg. Honestly, that's great for you!
 
AlexGarden said:

AngieHolmes said:

Devilseye said:

Sacajaweeda said:

Before this, I've dropped a lot of weight with no help at all. Earlier this year I even did a daily 20-24 hour fast and shed about 30 pounds over 3 months.

I quit nicotine 3.5 months ago. Since then, keeping cravings in check has been genuinely rough.

Tirz entered the picture 6 weeks ago. I ran 3mg for 3 weeks, and I'm now in week 3 at 6mg. The weight is coming off again, but I'm definitely still hungry and food is still on my mind. Is this simply the right dose? Is it not working yet and it's placebo? Or am I just being mentally tough and pushing through the cravings? It's really hard to tell. Before starting tirz, I figured I'd physically notice a real difference. Maybe I was wrong? Just wondering what you all think. Thanks!
Two separate factors are at play in your situation.

One: because you had already dropped some pounds on your own, it makes sense that food noise starts sneaking back in. The general pattern is that the more weight comes off, the louder that noise gets. If you're unsure whether tirz is having any effect, try pausing it for 2 or 3 weeks and observe the outcome! My own trajectory was roughly the same as yours. I dropped weight through intermittent fasting until it became genuinely difficult, then switched to sema and afterward tirz. When I attempted to quit, wow, did I get a harsh reality check.

Two: you gave up nicotine. That's a major factor. I don't think I would have made that change so early. Only alter 1 variable at a time, and do it SLOWLY, so you can tell what is driving your cravings and how to tweak the doses.

This isn't a sprint to the end, it's a process. Even a steady 5lbs per month is perfectly acceptable. Keep in mind the aim is reaching your goal weight and remaining there permanently. If it takes an extra month or 2, who cares. So long as the weight keeps coming off, you'll arrive.

One more thing: 6mg is a sub clinical dose. If you are losing, or intend to lose, 20%+ of your starting bodyweight, you'll have to go higher. These drugs are safe, so when weight stalls, don't hesitate to move up to 10mg and then 15mg if needed.

Good luck!
When you say clinical dose of tirz, what number are you thinking of? In my case, 1mg does it. Maybe even less would work — 1mg is simply where I land.

Technically, the clinical range runs from 2.5mg through 15mg. Your own effective dose is a different matter, though — it might begin as low as 1mg. Honestly, that's great for you!
I thought the same thing, which is why calling 6mg "subclinical" caught me off guard. And I've come across accounts of individuals achieving their desired outcomes below 1mg.
 
Devilseye said:

AngieHolmes said:

Devilseye said:

Sacajaweeda said:

Before this, I've dropped a lot of weight with no help at all. Earlier this year I even did a daily 20-24 hour fast and shed about 30 pounds over 3 months.

I quit nicotine 3.5 months ago. Since then, keeping cravings in check has been genuinely rough.

Tirz entered the picture 6 weeks ago. I ran 3mg for 3 weeks, and I'm now in week 3 at 6mg. The weight is coming off again, but I'm definitely still hungry and food is still on my mind. Is this simply the right dose? Is it not working yet and it's placebo? Or am I just being mentally tough and pushing through the cravings? It's really hard to tell. Before starting tirz, I figured I'd physically notice a real difference. Maybe I was wrong? Just wondering what you all think. Thanks!
Two separate factors are at play in your situation.

One: because you had already dropped some pounds on your own, it makes sense that food noise starts sneaking back in. The general pattern is that the more weight comes off, the louder that noise gets. If you're unsure whether tirz is having any effect, try pausing it for 2 or 3 weeks and observe the outcome! My own trajectory was roughly the same as yours. I dropped weight through intermittent fasting until it became genuinely difficult, then switched to sema and afterward tirz. When I attempted to quit, wow, did I get a harsh reality check.

Two: you gave up nicotine. That's a major factor. I don't think I would have made that change so early. Only alter 1 variable at a time, and do it SLOWLY, so you can tell what is driving your cravings and how to tweak the doses.

This isn't a sprint to the end, it's a process. Even a steady 5lbs per month is perfectly acceptable. Keep in mind the aim is reaching your goal weight and remaining there permanently. If it takes an extra month or 2, who cares. So long as the weight keeps coming off, you'll arrive.

One more thing: 6mg is a sub clinical dose. If you are losing, or intend to lose, 20%+ of your starting bodyweight, you'll have to go higher. These drugs are safe, so when weight stalls, don't hesitate to move up to 10mg and then 15mg if needed.

Good luck!
When you say clinical dose of tirz, what number are you thinking of? In my case, 1mg does it. Maybe even less would work — 1mg is simply where I land.
The amount of weight loss percentage you need to keep off is what determines everything. Only at 10mg-15mg were the 20% weight loss averages reached.
The trials showed that, yes—but there's far more data available to us now than just those trials.

People vary. Take my own case: I dropped 22% over 7 months, capping out at 3mg GLP1 (1mg tirz, and 2mg retail right now).
 
AngieHolmes said:

AlexGarden said:

AngieHolmes said:

Devilseye said:

Sacajaweeda said:

Before this, I've dropped a lot of weight with no help at all. Earlier this year I even did a daily 20-24 hour fast and shed about 30 pounds over 3 months.

I quit nicotine 3.5 months ago. Since then, keeping cravings in check has been genuinely rough.

Tirz entered the picture 6 weeks ago. I ran 3mg for 3 weeks, and I'm now in week 3 at 6mg. The weight is coming off again, but I'm definitely still hungry and food is still on my mind. Is this simply the right dose? Is it not working yet and it's placebo? Or am I just being mentally tough and pushing through the cravings? It's really hard to tell. Before starting tirz, I figured I'd physically notice a real difference. Maybe I was wrong? Just wondering what you all think. Thanks!
Two separate factors are at play in your situation.

One: because you had already dropped some pounds on your own, it makes sense that food noise starts sneaking back in. The general pattern is that the more weight comes off, the louder that noise gets. If you're unsure whether tirz is having any effect, try pausing it for 2 or 3 weeks and observe the outcome! My own trajectory was roughly the same as yours. I dropped weight through intermittent fasting until it became genuinely difficult, then switched to sema and afterward tirz. When I attempted to quit, wow, did I get a harsh reality check.

Two: you gave up nicotine. That's a major factor. I don't think I would have made that change so early. Only alter 1 variable at a time, and do it SLOWLY, so you can tell what is driving your cravings and how to tweak the doses.

This isn't a sprint to the end, it's a process. Even a steady 5lbs per month is perfectly acceptable. Keep in mind the aim is reaching your goal weight and remaining there permanently. If it takes an extra month or 2, who cares. So long as the weight keeps coming off, you'll arrive.

One more thing: 6mg is a sub clinical dose. If you are losing, or intend to lose, 20%+ of your starting bodyweight, you'll have to go higher. These drugs are safe, so when weight stalls, don't hesitate to move up to 10mg and then 15mg if needed.

Good luck!
When you say clinical dose of tirz, what number are you thinking of? In my case, 1mg does it. Maybe even less would work — 1mg is simply where I land.

Technically, the clinical range runs from 2.5mg through 15mg. Your own effective dose is a different matter, though — it might begin as low as 1mg. Honestly, that's great for you!
I thought the same thing, which is why calling 6mg "subclinical" caught me off guard. And I've come across accounts of individuals achieving their desired outcomes below 1mg.
Sure, trials tend to aim for the biggest effect and prove safety at bigger doses. I just wish they'd looked at smaller doses as well — all that tirz thrown away... and why? For side effects?
 
Sacajaweeda said:

Before this, I've dropped a lot of weight with no help at all. Earlier this year I even did a daily 20-24 hour fast and shed about 30 pounds over 3 months.

I quit nicotine 3.5 months ago. Since then, keeping cravings in check has been genuinely rough.

Tirz entered the picture 6 weeks ago. I ran 3mg for 3 weeks, and I'm now in week 3 at 6mg. The weight is coming off again, but I'm definitely still hungry and food is still on my mind. Is this simply the right dose? Is it not working yet and it's placebo? Or am I just being mentally tough and pushing through the cravings? It's really hard to tell. Before starting tirz, I figured I'd physically notice a real difference. Maybe I was wrong? Just wondering what you all think. Thanks!
If someone dropped "a lot of weight before without any assistance" yet still has weight left to lose, the likeliest explanation is that a good chunk of it came back at some point.

My own path: I went from 145 kg down to 75 kg with no glp's, held that for a year, then added GLPs and landed at 64kg 2 years later. Comparing maintenance without GLP drugs to maintenance with them is like night versus day, even when it takes combinations or high doses of tirz15mg /reta6mg/cagri 0.5mg. Across my life I have probably hit normal or near normal BMI's 6 or so times, yet never stayed there for long until now.

From what I have read in the grim long term data covering 50 years of diet and exercise weight loss studies, my conclusion is that they deliver short term but have truly dreadful long term success rates. That is why I do not buy deliberate calorie restriction through cognitive constraint or willpower as something sustainable. Sooner or later it almost always collapses.

Conversely, barring the unlucky 5-10% who respond poorly to GLP drugs, long term maintenance is essentially a solved problem as long as you remain on them. To my mind that is the single most important thing about them, and before GLP's there was nothing except surgery with any meaningful success rate for this issue. Shedding the weight, though not always simple, is something most obese people have managed at some point; holding it off is the far harder, far longer grind.

Since 6mg of tirz is not doing much for you, you are likely not a super responder, though you probably will not get piles of side effects either. Do you notice fullness after eating less food than you used to? That was the first GLP effect I noticed. My read on this: if you are deliberately and consciously capping eating to hit a certain number of calories per day, that process itself tends not to hold up long term. Slowly adjusting the medication dose until your calorie intake is low enough for reasonable weight loss, while hunger stays tolerable and you are not forcing yourself to skip food while hungry, is far more sustainable long term. Eating healthier foods and extra protein is still wise, but I find trimming food choices a little rather than quantities easier to live with, and therefore more sustainable. And for long term weight loss, tolerability matters enormously; the harder the whole thing is, the less likely you are to keep at it for years and years, which is what solving the problem actually requires.

I would not raise doses to speed up weight loss, only to make the process more comfortable.

The fact that these drugs are actually good for you is amazing. It is pretty hard to think of other drugs where this applies to such a high percentage of the population, basically anyone who is obese and to a slightly lesser extent overweight., is almost certainly going to be healthier in the long term taking glp drugs than not taking them, and not just from the weight loss. ( this is not yet proven in healthy younger populations, but is very likely ) And in general maximum doses are better than lower doses at preventing long term health issues like diabetes or heart disease. Higher doses might even help better than lower doses with kicking the nicotine habit.
 
lessthanhalf said:

Sacajaweeda said:

Before this, I've dropped a lot of weight with no help at all. Earlier this year I even did a daily 20-24 hour fast and shed about 30 pounds over 3 months.

I quit nicotine 3.5 months ago. Since then, keeping cravings in check has been genuinely rough.

Tirz entered the picture 6 weeks ago. I ran 3mg for 3 weeks, and I'm now in week 3 at 6mg. The weight is coming off again, but I'm definitely still hungry and food is still on my mind. Is this simply the right dose? Is it not working yet and it's placebo? Or am I just being mentally tough and pushing through the cravings? It's really hard to tell. Before starting tirz, I figured I'd physically notice a real difference. Maybe I was wrong? Just wondering what you all think. Thanks!
If someone dropped "a lot of weight before without any assistance" yet still has weight left to lose, the likeliest explanation is that a good chunk of it came back at some point.

My own path: I went from 145 kg down to 75 kg with no glp's, held that for a year, then added GLPs and landed at 64kg 2 years later. Comparing maintenance without GLP drugs to maintenance with them is like night versus day, even when it takes combinations or high doses of tirz15mg /reta6mg/cagri 0.5mg. Across my life I have probably hit normal or near normal BMI's 6 or so times, yet never stayed there for long until now.

From what I have read in the grim long term data covering 50 years of diet and exercise weight loss studies, my conclusion is that they deliver short term but have truly dreadful long term success rates. That is why I do not buy deliberate calorie restriction through cognitive constraint or willpower as something sustainable. Sooner or later it almost always collapses.

Conversely, barring the unlucky 5-10% who respond poorly to GLP drugs, long term maintenance is essentially a solved problem as long as you remain on them. To my mind that is the single most important thing about them, and before GLP's there was nothing except surgery with any meaningful success rate for this issue. Shedding the weight, though not always simple, is something most obese people have managed at some point; holding it off is the far harder, far longer grind.

Since 6mg of tirz is not doing much for you, you are likely not a super responder, though you probably will not get piles of side effects either. Do you notice fullness after eating less food than you used to? That was the first GLP effect I noticed. My read on this: if you are deliberately and consciously capping eating to hit a certain number of calories per day, that process itself tends not to hold up long term. Slowly adjusting the medication dose until your calorie intake is low enough for reasonable weight loss, while hunger stays tolerable and you are not forcing yourself to skip food while hungry, is far more sustainable long term. Eating healthier foods and extra protein is still wise, but I find trimming food choices a little rather than quantities easier to live with, and therefore more sustainable. And for long term weight loss, tolerability matters enormously; the harder the whole thing is, the less likely you are to keep at it for years and years, which is what solving the problem actually requires.

I would not raise doses to speed up weight loss, only to make the process more comfortable.

The fact that these drugs are actually good for you is amazing. It is pretty hard to think of other drugs where this applies to such a high percentage of the population, basically anyone who is obese and to a slightly lesser extent overweight., is almost certainly going to be healthier in the long term taking glp drugs than not taking them, and not just from the weight loss. ( this is not yet proven in healthy younger populations, but is very likely ) And in general maximum doses are better than lower doses at preventing long term health issues like diabetes or heart disease. Higher doses might even help better than lower doses with kicking the nicotine habit.
That's a really useful perspective. After meals I notice more satiety, so at 6mg it's clearly doing something. I'm not afraid to increase the dose — I just want to stay at 6 for a minimum of 4 weeks first. Long-term GLP use doesn't worry me either; if it keeps me at the weight I'm aiming for, I'm completely on board with it!
 
AngieHolmes said:

Devilseye said:

AngieHolmes said:

Devilseye said:

Sacajaweeda said:

Before this, I've dropped a lot of weight with no help at all. Earlier this year I even did a daily 20-24 hour fast and shed about 30 pounds over 3 months.

I quit nicotine 3.5 months ago. Since then, keeping cravings in check has been genuinely rough.

Tirz entered the picture 6 weeks ago. I ran 3mg for 3 weeks, and I'm now in week 3 at 6mg. The weight is coming off again, but I'm definitely still hungry and food is still on my mind. Is this simply the right dose? Is it not working yet and it's placebo? Or am I just being mentally tough and pushing through the cravings? It's really hard to tell. Before starting tirz, I figured I'd physically notice a real difference. Maybe I was wrong? Just wondering what you all think. Thanks!
Two separate factors are at play in your situation.

One: because you had already dropped some pounds on your own, it makes sense that food noise starts sneaking back in. The general pattern is that the more weight comes off, the louder that noise gets. If you're unsure whether tirz is having any effect, try pausing it for 2 or 3 weeks and observe the outcome! My own trajectory was roughly the same as yours. I dropped weight through intermittent fasting until it became genuinely difficult, then switched to sema and afterward tirz. When I attempted to quit, wow, did I get a harsh reality check.

Two: you gave up nicotine. That's a major factor. I don't think I would have made that change so early. Only alter 1 variable at a time, and do it SLOWLY, so you can tell what is driving your cravings and how to tweak the doses.

This isn't a sprint to the end, it's a process. Even a steady 5lbs per month is perfectly acceptable. Keep in mind the aim is reaching your goal weight and remaining there permanently. If it takes an extra month or 2, who cares. So long as the weight keeps coming off, you'll arrive.

One more thing: 6mg is a sub clinical dose. If you are losing, or intend to lose, 20%+ of your starting bodyweight, you'll have to go higher. These drugs are safe, so when weight stalls, don't hesitate to move up to 10mg and then 15mg if needed.

Good luck!
When you say clinical dose of tirz, what number are you thinking of? In my case, 1mg does it. Maybe even less would work — 1mg is simply where I land.
The amount of weight loss percentage you need to keep off is what determines everything. Only at 10mg-15mg were the 20% weight loss averages reached.
The trials showed that, yes—but there's far more data available to us now than just those trials.

People vary. Take my own case: I dropped 22% over 7 months, capping out at 3mg GLP1 (1mg tirz, and 2mg retail right now).
that's incredible! well done
 
Back
Top