Tirz causing itchy rashes in a friend

Gr33dyOctopus

Explorer
Joined
Nov 9, 2025
Messages
608
Reaction score
0
Location
Federal way wa
checked out the patches earlier today. Yikes, roughly 1 inch by 1 inch each, red and a bit raised. according to her, they itch. is that a histamine reaction? what is going on here? I have never had that happen or watched anyone else go through it.

any suggestions? might moving over to reta be of any help?
 
Do they keep expanding? Does the area feel warm? A few weeks back I had raised, itchy ISRs that seem like what you're describing. In my case there was no warmth and no expansion. I rotated injection spots and the reaction didn't appear at other sites (the ISR showed up on my abdomen, while the glute had zero response).
 
Could they test another batch and see how it compares?...That way you might figure out whether tirz itself is the issue or if it's specific to that batch...
 
Right, so that's what needs clarifying — do they show up solely where the shots go in, or elsewhere too? Should they appear in other places, then the medication has to be discontinued. GLP drugs can trigger a whole range of cutaneous adverse drug reactions, or rashes of the skin variety, and a few of those may be severe or serious ( potentially affecting internal organs too ). While unlikely, it is possible — particularly when they show up shortly after an injection — that they signal anaphylaxis. Reactions that cross over between different GLP drugs are uncommon, though not out of the question, so switching to reta ought to be okay.

Should they be confined to injection sites, then it comes down to their severity or discomfort level and how long they persist. If they are irritating enough, stopping or moving to reta might be necessary. Localised ISRs are extremely frequent, at least 5%. The bac could theoretically be the culprit — simply inject the bac alone and you'll get your answer.

( After I developed a skin rash just over a year ago that was really hard to pin down and may have come from ozempic, I went through everything published online about skin rashes tied to GLP drugs and plenty of other medications. It turned out not to be that, and even the specialists struggled — they more or less had to invent a vague-sounding label for it, and that was after 3 biopsies plus blood tests. Something like an unusual rosacea or odd neurovascular rash. I still have it, no treatment, and fortunately it isn't too severe — it was just maddening not being able to get a diagnosis. )
 
Gr33dyOctopus said:

checked out the patches earlier today. Yikes, roughly 1 inch by 1 inch each, red and a bit raised. according to her, they itch. is that a histamine reaction? what is going on here? I have never had that happen or watched anyone else go through it.

any suggestions? might moving over to reta be of any help?
I'm unsure whether this would be beneficial or make things worse, but what about an oral antihistamine such as Cetirizine? Or perhaps something applied to the skin, like Hydrocortisone 1% cream.
 
What you're describing sounds like it could be urticaria — an acute reaction driven by histamine — though without seeing a picture it's hard to say for sure.

If that's the mechanism, antihistamines may bring relief; they can also ease the itching even when the reaction is a different kind.

When the reaction doesn't show up right around the time of the injection — particularly if it appears days later — a cell mediated immune response becomes a possibility.

However, if the rash has spread across the body, using antihistamines just to mask symptoms while continuing the medication is risky. 3 reasons - could be a warning of anaphylaxis, some drug reactions cause permanent skin damage, some drug reactions have internal organ inflammation as well as in the skin ( will usually feel ill or have a fever )
 
Gr33dyOctopus said:

checked out the patches earlier today. Yikes, roughly 1 inch by 1 inch each, red and a bit raised. according to her, they itch. is that a histamine reaction? what is going on here? I have never had that happen or watched anyone else go through it.

any suggestions? might moving over to reta be of any help?
The only reason I opened this was that it came from you, and I figured there'd be some kind of what's up …. Unfortunately I've got nothing to contribute ….
 
Flash-BCR said:

Could they test another batch and see how it compares?...That way you might figure out whether tirz itself is the issue or if it's specific to that batch...
that sounds worth a shot, I may give it a go!
 
DjJoshua said:

Gr33dyOctopus said:

checked out the patches earlier today. Yikes, roughly 1 inch by 1 inch each, red and a bit raised. according to her, they itch. is that a histamine reaction? what is going on here? I have never had that happen or watched anyone else go through it.

any suggestions? might moving over to reta be of any help?
I'm unsure whether this would be beneficial or make things worse, but what about an oral antihistamine such as Cetirizine? Or perhaps something applied to the skin, like Hydrocortisone 1% cream.
hey buddy! as far as I can tell, we're going to switch her over to reta next and check whether that does the trick, though the things you mentioned could work too, thanks man!!! hope things are going well on your end! what line of work are you in, by the way?
 
Gt3294a said:

Gr33dyOctopus said:

checked out the patches earlier today. Yikes, roughly 1 inch by 1 inch each, red and a bit raised. according to her, they itch. is that a histamine reaction? what is going on here? I have never had that happen or watched anyone else go through it.

any suggestions? might moving over to reta be of any help?
The only reason I opened this was that it came from you, and I figured there'd be some kind of what's up …. Unfortunately I've got nothing to contribute ….
no problems, pal!
 
lessthanhalf said:

What you're describing sounds like it could be urticaria — an acute reaction driven by histamine — though without seeing a picture it's hard to say for sure.

If that's the mechanism, antihistamines may bring relief; they can also ease the itching even when the reaction is a different kind.

When the reaction doesn't show up right around the time of the injection — particularly if it appears days later — a cell mediated immune response becomes a possibility.

However, if the rash has spread across the body, using antihistamines just to mask symptoms while continuing the medication is risky. 3 reasons - could be a warning of anaphylaxis, some drug reactions cause permanent skin damage, some drug reactions have internal organ inflammation as well as in the skin ( will usually feel ill or have a fever )
nice to have you around again. I told her to stop taking it and give reta a shot, though I have no idea how she'd manage to find that by herself.... 😁
 
Gr33dyOctopus said:

checked out the patches earlier today. Yikes, roughly 1 inch by 1 inch each, red and a bit raised. according to her, they itch. is that a histamine reaction? what is going on here? I have never had that happen or watched anyone else go through it.

any suggestions? might moving over to reta be of any help?
Should the rash begin appearing in new spots or persist beyond 3-5 days, a doctor's visit is warranted. Apart from that, there's no cause for concern—most likely tied to histamine.
 
Right when I began Tirz, I had reactions at the injection site just like that. After every pin, a large welt appeared that itched intensely for roughly 5 days. I attempted every kind of allergy remedy out there, and none of them did anything, yet stopping the medication was absolutely not something I was willing to do. The point when they stopped is fuzzy for me now, though I think it was around 1.5 years afterward. Over time they simply became milder and milder until they faded from my awareness. Even now, a little itchy patch sometimes shows up for a few hours post-injection, but that isn't the norm.
 
When the reaction stays confined to where the shots go in, there’s no danger involved—it’s simply irritating and a nuisance. One option worth testing is pushing the needle a little further down into the fat layer beneath the skin, since the bulk of immune cells sit in the skin itself and far fewer are found in the subcutaneous fat below. That said, the situation seems severe enough that moving over to reta could be a reasonable call.
 
Back
Top