Tirz and other medicine

Purpletree

Explorer
Joined
Jul 5, 2026
Messages
38
Reaction score
0
Location
Romania
Hi, this week I came down with the most severe UTI I have ever had, and the pain is comparable only to what I felt after a c-section, so of course I’m taking antibiotics. Once I began the antibiotics and painkillers, on top of dealing with the worst headaches I’ve ever experienced (I chalked that up to not having an appetite lol), it hit me that tirz and the treatment I was given might be linked.

Has anyone else experienced side effects with regular medicine that were brought on by tirz?

Thaaanks!
 
I'm going to assume a doctor has already been involved in this?? Even if that happened earlier today, if things have gotten any worse since that visit, it might be worth getting another look. Bladder infections tend to be fairly low-risk, but kidney infections are a completely different story, and when someone has systemic signs like a headache along with pain, my mind goes straight to kidney involvement rather than the bladder, which would call for hospital care with IV antibiotics instead of pills, or at the very least a specialist's input on that question.

Should you have a thermometer available, take your temperature; an elevated reading adds further weight to the argument that a proper evaluation is needed, and I don't believe that putting it off and waiting to see whether it improves is a wise approach. Fever isn't a typical feature of a bladder infection. Of course, a few lines in a post can't tell me how unwell you are overall, but really any fever, or any indication of being generally unwell such as that headache, combined with abdominal pain and urinary symptoms, is reason enough to be seen in the ER, and an exam is needed to confirm the diagnosis is right and that something else potentially serious isn't behind the gut pain.

Tirzepatide does carry uncommon serious side effects, though I can't recall any that would produce the picture you're describing, and I'm working with very little information here, so mention to whichever doctor you see that you're on it, just to be safe.
 
Under half is correct on all points.

Research indicates that tirz can reduce the effectiveness of certain oral medications, particularly when the prescription is new (meaning it hasn't reached steady levels in the body yet).
 
Purpletree said:

Hi, this week I came down with the most severe UTI I have ever had, and the pain is comparable only to what I felt after a c-section, so of course I’m taking antibiotics. Once I began the antibiotics and painkillers, on top of dealing with the worst headaches I’ve ever experienced (I chalked that up to not having an appetite lol), it hit me that tirz and the treatment I was given might be linked.

Has anyone else experienced side effects with regular medicine that were brought on by tirz?

Thaaanks!

Regarding what you asked: for the most part, tirzepatide doesn't have many interactions that rule out other drugs. The big ones to watch would be insulin, sulfonylureas, oral contraceptives, and any medication where delayed gastric emptying could create timing problems (warfarin, for example).

On the specific problem you're dealing with, you haven't said much about how long you've been on tirzepatide. Headaches can happen with tirzepatide, but the intensity you're describing doesn't match what I'd typically expect, and they usually show up when someone first starts or increases the dose.

That said, 100% of what @lessthanhalf said applies here: you need a proper assessment, and you absolutely should tell your healthcare provider you're taking tirzepatide. I make a point of telling every medical professional I see that I'm on tirzepatide, even when I don't think it's relevant to whatever they're treating me for.
 
A UTI generally begins in the urethra or the bladder. When it goes untreated—or when treatment fails—bacteria are able to multiply and move upward along the ureters until they reach the kidneys. If the case is severe, the infection may get into the bloodstream, which can lead to sepsis.

A common pattern of worsening may be:

  1. Bladder infection (cystitis): a burning sensation or pain during urination, needing to urinate often or urgently, voiding only small amounts, pressure in the lower abdomen, and urine that is cloudy, strongly odorous, or bloody.
  2. Kidney infection (pyelonephritis): fever, chills, pain in the back or side beneath the ribs, nausea or vomiting, and a feeling of being distinctly unwell. Urinary symptoms might or might not still be obvious.
  3. Bloodstream infection (sepsis): confusion, severe weakness, fast breathing or a rapid heartbeat, dizziness or fainting, clammy skin, or passing very little urine. This is an emergency.
 
lessthanhalf said:

I'm going to assume a doctor has already been involved in this?? Even if that happened earlier today, if things have gotten any worse since that visit, it might be worth getting another look. Bladder infections tend to be fairly low-risk, but kidney infections are a completely different story, and when someone has systemic signs like a headache along with pain, my mind goes straight to kidney involvement rather than the bladder, which would call for hospital care with IV antibiotics instead of pills, or at the very least a specialist's input on that question.

Should you have a thermometer available, take your temperature; an elevated reading adds further weight to the argument that a proper evaluation is needed, and I don't believe that putting it off and waiting to see whether it improves is a wise approach. Fever isn't a typical feature of a bladder infection. Of course, a few lines in a post can't tell me how unwell you are overall, but really any fever, or any indication of being generally unwell such as that headache, combined with abdominal pain and urinary symptoms, is reason enough to be seen in the ER, and an exam is needed to confirm the diagnosis is right and that something else potentially serious isn't behind the gut pain.

Tirzepatide does carry uncommon serious side effects, though I can't recall any that would produce the picture you're describing, and I'm working with very little information here, so mention to whichever doctor you see that you're on it, just to be safe.
I did go to the ER — just realized I left that part out of my first post, haha.
 
Zelmar702 said:

A UTI generally begins in the urethra or the bladder. When it goes untreated—or when treatment fails—bacteria are able to multiply and move upward along the ureters until they reach the kidneys. If the case is severe, the infection may get into the bloodstream, which can lead to sepsis.

A common pattern of worsening may be:

  1. Bladder infection (cystitis): a burning sensation or pain during urination, needing to urinate often or urgently, voiding only small amounts, pressure in the lower abdomen, and urine that is cloudy, strongly odorous, or bloody.
  2. Kidney infection (pyelonephritis): fever, chills, pain in the back or side beneath the ribs, nausea or vomiting, and a feeling of being distinctly unwell. Urinary symptoms might or might not still be obvious.
  3. Bloodstream infection (sepsis): confusion, severe weakness, fast breathing or a rapid heartbeat, dizziness or fainting, clammy skin, or passing very little urine. This is an emergency.
By the time things progressed to stage 2, I was sobbing and ended up at the ER lol those are absolutely brutal…that happened on thursday, so now I'm on day3 of antibiotics
 
Purpletree said:

lessthanhalf said:

I'm going to assume a doctor has already been involved in this?? Even if that happened earlier today, if things have gotten any worse since that visit, it might be worth getting another look. Bladder infections tend to be fairly low-risk, but kidney infections are a completely different story, and when someone has systemic signs like a headache along with pain, my mind goes straight to kidney involvement rather than the bladder, which would call for hospital care with IV antibiotics instead of pills, or at the very least a specialist's input on that question.

Should you have a thermometer available, take your temperature; an elevated reading adds further weight to the argument that a proper evaluation is needed, and I don't believe that putting it off and waiting to see whether it improves is a wise approach. Fever isn't a typical feature of a bladder infection. Of course, a few lines in a post can't tell me how unwell you are overall, but really any fever, or any indication of being generally unwell such as that headache, combined with abdominal pain and urinary symptoms, is reason enough to be seen in the ER, and an exam is needed to confirm the diagnosis is right and that something else potentially serious isn't behind the gut pain.

Tirzepatide does carry uncommon serious side effects, though I can't recall any that would produce the picture you're describing, and I'm working with very little information here, so mention to whichever doctor you see that you're on it, just to be safe.
I did go to the ER — just realized I left that part out of my first post, haha.

That's a relief! Your message left me unsure whether you'd simply decided on your own what was wrong and started taking antibiotics, or whether a doctor had actually evaluated you. Wishing you a speedy recovery!
 
I'm not sure how smoothly hospital care and regular doctors outside the hospital coordinate in the US. Still, if an ER made the diagnosis of a kidney infection and judged it not severe enough for admission, then for an illness like that, which can turn serious fast (stage 3 in the post above), they'd normally set up some kind of follow-up plan for what to do if it didn't keep improving. Around here that would typically mean a letter and instructions to see your local doctor daily until things improved, or if they didn't, he/she could send you back to the ER.

Perhaps that already happened, or you were given different instructions, but it really sounded like they simply handed you antibiotics with no clear follow-up plan. I'm sure you'll be fine, but if things aren't improving, particularly with ongoing fever, feeling generally unwell and pain, and you weren't given a clear plan, returning to the ER is quite reasonable. Usually the fever, the feeling really unwell and the pain should start improving within 24 to 48 hours after starting the antibiotics. And keeping up your fluid intake is a good idea, you'll need extra when ill, and it will help flush the bugs out of the urinary system.
 
lessthanhalf said:

I'm not sure how smoothly hospital care and regular doctors outside the hospital coordinate in the US. Still, if an ER made the diagnosis of a kidney infection and judged it not severe enough for admission, then for an illness like that, which can turn serious fast (stage 3 in the post above), they'd normally set up some kind of follow-up plan for what to do if it didn't keep improving. Around here that would typically mean a letter and instructions to see your local doctor daily until things improved, or if they didn't, he/she could send you back to the ER.

Perhaps that already happened, or you were given different instructions, but it really sounded like they simply handed you antibiotics with no clear follow-up plan. I'm sure you'll be fine, but if things aren't improving, particularly with ongoing fever, feeling generally unwell and pain, and you weren't given a clear plan, returning to the ER is quite reasonable. Usually the fever, the feeling really unwell and the pain should start improving within 24 to 48 hours after starting the antibiotics. And keeping up your fluid intake is a good idea, you'll need extra when ill, and it will help flush the bugs out of the urinary system.
I really appreciate the concern! Where I live, healthcare doesn’t cost anything, and I’m not in the US, so staying overnight is something they avoid unless it’s truly unavoidable. I got to the hospital and left again under my own power—I even spent a few hours waiting for my turn, lol. Luckily things never progressed to a fever; at triage I believe I was 37.2. I’d feel bad occupying a bed that someone else needs more than I do. Usually, if my body reacts well to the antibiotics, that should be the end of it, though they told me to return to the ER if anything changes. I’m even working today, haha! My stomach is definitely unhappy, but I figure that’s from the antibiotics plus the appetite I normally lack thanks to tirz. Even so, I keep eating because taking antibiotics with nothing in your stomach is no joke—but every bite is miserable, lmao 😂 This whole thing taught me something: I used to brush off UTIs, and I won’t do that anymore, lol
 
I'm not sure how this ties to tirz.. but here's my story: a UTI I didn't even know about gave me sepsis. At first they told me it was the flu and sent me home. 3 hours later I came back, my husband basically carrying me until a wheelchair was brought. The second Dr actually listened and took it seriously. I wound up spending 2 weeks in the hospital. So please don't take chances! Get checked again.
 
TeresaHip said:

I'm not sure how this ties to tirz.. but here's my story: a UTI I didn't even know about gave me sepsis. At first they told me it was the flu and sent me home. 3 hours later I came back, my husband basically carrying me until a wheelchair was brought. The second Dr actually listened and took it seriously. I wound up spending 2 weeks in the hospital. So please don't take chances! Get checked again.
Good thing you came through it safely! I visited the ER 4 days ago, so I imagine I’ll be back to normal eventually. Each day I’ve felt a bit stronger. Once the antibiotics are done, I’ll get checked for the UTI again.
 
Grogu said:

Purpletree said:

Hi, this week I came down with the most severe UTI I have ever had, and the pain is comparable only to what I felt after a c-section, so of course I’m taking antibiotics. Once I began the antibiotics and painkillers, on top of dealing with the worst headaches I’ve ever experienced (I chalked that up to not having an appetite lol), it hit me that tirz and the treatment I was given might be linked.

Has anyone else experienced side effects with regular medicine that were brought on by tirz?

Thaaanks!

Regarding what you asked: for the most part, tirzepatide doesn't have many interactions that rule out other drugs. The big ones to watch would be insulin, sulfonylureas, oral contraceptives, and any medication where delayed gastric emptying could create timing problems (warfarin, for example).

On the specific problem you're dealing with, you haven't said much about how long you've been on tirzepatide. Headaches can happen with tirzepatide, but the intensity you're describing doesn't match what I'd typically expect, and they usually show up when someone first starts or increases the dose.

That said, 100% of what @lessthanhalf said applies here: you need a proper assessment, and you absolutely should tell your healthcare provider you're taking tirzepatide. I make a point of telling every medical professional I see that I'm on tirzepatide, even when I don't think it's relevant to whatever they're treating me for.

Thyroid meds belong on that list too! 🤍 They're famously temperamental — usually you need to leave roughly 1 hour and 4 hour windows between taking them and having food or drink.

When gastric emptying slows down, the effect can cut both ways: either the levo lingers in stomach acid and works less well, (which is the more common outcome) or it ends up getting more time for absorption? I don't really believe that 2nd scenario, but my fellow thyroid patients ought to know about it and be ready to contact their endo if thyroid symptoms start showing up!
 
Foggy-Hollow said:

Grogu said:

Purpletree said:

Hi, this week I came down with the most severe UTI I have ever had, and the pain is comparable only to what I felt after a c-section, so of course I’m taking antibiotics. Once I began the antibiotics and painkillers, on top of dealing with the worst headaches I’ve ever experienced (I chalked that up to not having an appetite lol), it hit me that tirz and the treatment I was given might be linked.

Has anyone else experienced side effects with regular medicine that were brought on by tirz?

Thaaanks!

Regarding what you asked: for the most part, tirzepatide doesn't have many interactions that rule out other drugs. The big ones to watch would be insulin, sulfonylureas, oral contraceptives, and any medication where delayed gastric emptying could create timing problems (warfarin, for example).

On the specific problem you're dealing with, you haven't said much about how long you've been on tirzepatide. Headaches can happen with tirzepatide, but the intensity you're describing doesn't match what I'd typically expect, and they usually show up when someone first starts or increases the dose.

That said, 100% of what @lessthanhalf said applies here: you need a proper assessment, and you absolutely should tell your healthcare provider you're taking tirzepatide. I make a point of telling every medical professional I see that I'm on tirzepatide, even when I don't think it's relevant to whatever they're treating me for.

Thyroid meds belong on that list too! 🤍 They're famously temperamental — usually you need to leave roughly 1 hour and 4 hour windows between taking them and having food or drink.

When gastric emptying slows down, the effect can cut both ways: either the levo lingers in stomach acid and works less well, (which is the more common outcome) or it ends up getting more time for absorption? I don't really believe that 2nd scenario, but my fellow thyroid patients ought to know about it and be ready to contact their endo if thyroid symptoms start showing up!

Absolutely, 100% — levothyroxine is one I left out, and it really deserved a direct callout. That’s exactly why people need to tell each of their healthcare providers that they’re using glp-1s.
 
Back
Top