thoughts on pairing a GLP-1 with metformin?

Cluni0n

Explorer
Joined
Apr 26, 2026
Messages
20
Reaction score
0
Location
France
Hey all, I’m in the middle of figuring out with my doctor which option makes the most sense for me. My weight is quite high (224lbs, 5'4F) and my HOMA score is elevated (7.9), yet my fasting glucose, A1C, cholesterol, no fatty liver and the rest of my labs all come back normal (one upside of carrying a lot of muscle, I guess). I’ve been looking into using both treatments together, and from what I’ve seen the outcomes look promising: muscle loss is reduced, a lower metformin dose brings fewer side effects, ozempic can be kept at low doses, and it hits several hormonal pathways at once. That really caught my attention, so I’m curious whether anyone here has gone this route — if you’re willing to describe how it went, I’d really appreciate it, thanks!
 
Cluni0n said:

Hey all, I’m in the middle of figuring out with my doctor which option makes the most sense for me. My weight is quite high (224lbs, 5'4F) and my HOMA score is elevated (7.9), yet my fasting glucose, A1C, cholesterol, no fatty liver and the rest of my labs all come back normal (one upside of carrying a lot of muscle, I guess). I’ve been looking into using both treatments together, and from what I’ve seen the outcomes look promising: muscle loss is reduced, a lower metformin dose brings fewer side effects, ozempic can be kept at low doses, and it hits several hormonal pathways at once. That really caught my attention, so I’m curious whether anyone here has gone this route — if you’re willing to describe how it went, I’d really appreciate it, thanks!
Just so anyone who comes across this knows what we're talking about.... HOMA IR is a formula that gives you a rough estimate of insulin resistance, using fasting insulin along with fasting glucose. That means a person's glucose and A1C can still read as normal even when insulin resistance is already quite substantial, particularly in cases where muscle mass is higher or the body is otherwise managing to compensate metabolically.

So.....a HOMA of 7.9 is clearly a meaningful level of insulin resistance, regardless of glucose and A1C still looking normal on paper. On its own, that can definitely make losing weight more difficult, since insulin that stays elevated over time tends to encourage fat storage and interferes with the body's ability to tap into stored energy efficiently.

So yes, it makes sense to me that your doctor isn't brushing this off even though the rest of your labs are fine.

And I do see a rationale for combining treatments in certain cases, since Metformin and GLP1s act through separate pathways. Metformin mainly targets insulin sensitivity and cuts down glucose output from the liver, whereas GLP1s address appetite control, feeling full, how fast the stomach empties, insulin signaling, and so on.

As for calling it "aggressive," I think that hinges on how you define it. When someone has both notable insulin resistance and obesity, a lot of providers do lean aggressive, because fixing the metabolic problem early tends to make weight loss and long-term health outcomes far more achievable. In these highly insulin resistant situations, it's tough to address one without the other.

The key is finding the right balance among:

• effectiveness

• sustainability

• side effects (this is a big one)

• muscle preservation

• adherence long term

Because losing weight quickly without sufficient protein or resistance training can sometimes mean more muscle is lost, and for some people, ramping medications up aggressively just isn't tolerable from a GI perspective.

But overall, I think you're asking really smart questions and looking at the metabolic side of this.... not just the scale..... which is honestly the right mindset 😊

Hopefully if you dive, the side effects are tolerable so you can help to lower that resistance!
 
Metformin for longevity for years has been my routine, which kept prediabetes far away. Some years back I added Semaglutide for weight, ran it a while with great results, then moved to Tirzepatide which worked even better. These days I am holding at maintenance weight and stacking 1.25 mg Tirzepatide with 1.25 mg Retatrutide, while staying on the Metformin the entire time, of course. (Plus a couple of gym sessions each week.)

Two recent weeks of CGM data came back with a glowing read. Glucose control was called tight, stable, and metabolically efficient, with low variability, rapid post‑prandial clearance, and no evidence of pathological lows. That pattern pointed to excellent insulin sensitivity and high metabolic flexibility. Mornings held a fasting window steadily around 72–85 mg/dL, which the report labelled an elite fasting range: stable, low, and without drift. My glucose variability is extremely low. Where most people, healthy ones included, swing 40–60 mg/dL after a meal, I often swing <20 mg/dL. Nighttime readings came back impressively flat.

FWIW, my CGM numbers come out ahead of my GF, who is also at goal weight, runs larger doses of Tirzepatide and Retatrutide, and is younger — but isn’t on Metformin. I know N=2 doesn’t count statistically, but it is the data I have.

Worth remembering that Metformin is an AMPK activator, so across years it does improve your mitochondria. Those improvements I count as part of why my body handles glucose well.
 
Researcher6076 said:

Metformin for longevity for years has been my routine, which kept prediabetes far away. Some years back I added Semaglutide for weight, ran it a while with great results, then moved to Tirzepatide which worked even better. These days I am holding at maintenance weight and stacking 1.25 mg Tirzepatide with 1.25 mg Retatrutide, while staying on the Metformin the entire time, of course. (Plus a couple of gym sessions each week.)

Two recent weeks of CGM data came back with a glowing read. Glucose control was called tight, stable, and metabolically efficient, with low variability, rapid post‑prandial clearance, and no evidence of pathological lows. That pattern pointed to excellent insulin sensitivity and high metabolic flexibility. Mornings held a fasting window steadily around 72–85 mg/dL, which the report labelled an elite fasting range: stable, low, and without drift. My glucose variability is extremely low. Where most people, healthy ones included, swing 40–60 mg/dL after a meal, I often swing <20 mg/dL. Nighttime readings came back impressively flat.

FWIW, my CGM numbers come out ahead of my GF, who is also at goal weight, runs larger doses of Tirzepatide and Retatrutide, and is younger — but isn’t on Metformin. I know N=2 doesn’t count statistically, but it is the data I have.

Worth remembering that Metformin is an AMPK activator, so across years it does improve your mitochondria. Those improvements I count as part of why my body handles glucose well.

How much Metformin do you take?
 
catscratchfever43 said:

Researcher6076 said:

Metformin for longevity for years has been my routine, which kept prediabetes far away. Some years back I added Semaglutide for weight, ran it a while with great results, then moved to Tirzepatide which worked even better. These days I am holding at maintenance weight and stacking 1.25 mg Tirzepatide with 1.25 mg Retatrutide, while staying on the Metformin the entire time, of course. (Plus a couple of gym sessions each week.)

Two recent weeks of CGM data came back with a glowing read. Glucose control was called tight, stable, and metabolically efficient, with low variability, rapid post‑prandial clearance, and no evidence of pathological lows. That pattern pointed to excellent insulin sensitivity and high metabolic flexibility. Mornings held a fasting window steadily around 72–85 mg/dL, which the report labelled an elite fasting range: stable, low, and without drift. My glucose variability is extremely low. Where most people, healthy ones included, swing 40–60 mg/dL after a meal, I often swing <20 mg/dL. Nighttime readings came back impressively flat.

FWIW, my CGM numbers come out ahead of my GF, who is also at goal weight, runs larger doses of Tirzepatide and Retatrutide, and is younger — but isn’t on Metformin. I know N=2 doesn’t count statistically, but it is the data I have.

Worth remembering that Metformin is an AMPK activator, so across years it does improve your mitochondria. Those improvements I count as part of why my body handles glucose well.

How much Metformin do you take?
500 mg / day
 
Back
Top