RubbaDubba1 said:
TeresaHip said:
Does anyone else deal with loose skin that feels thick? It looks terrible. According to what I found, the causes could be dropping weight too quickly (that wasn't my situation), fat stored around the organs, insufficient protein (that might apply to me), too little resistance training (a major problem in my case since I've undergone numerous surgeries during my weight loss, which kept me from working out. I'm currently recovering from surgery), and inadequate hydration (that's definitely not an issue for me).
I really dislike having to pile on more concerns to my already long list of problems. I'm hoping to return to exercising and training before long.
For those who have or had this problem, what did you do to fix it?
Nice work dropping the weight #1, and #2 I hope things go your way as you work toward the body you want or the one plastics requires. My own loss was 400lbs, and I've been through 13 operations so far (more still to come), constantly doing physical therapy, and I've already had plastics.
From what I went through: the Panniculectomy (stomach) only removes the extra skin with a hip-to-hip cut. It costs far less than a tummy tuck, though afterward it wasn't the polished result I'd hoped for. The Gynecomastia (chest) turned out okay, but on my end it only fixed the worst parts. In total they took off 15lbs, which is a lot. The problem was my physical condition, I had no muscle tone and that thick loose skin you're describing. Then I put 140lbs back on, and later dropped a lot of it with Tirz/Reta, which brought me to where I am today. I could do plastics again, but I'd want far better muscle tone first and to fix every problem area in one go, spending my money once instead of twice.
Given what you're asking, here are a couple of ways you could handle it. If your goal is simply a better quality of life through plastics, find out what insurance will cover. Document, document, document, and gather several letters of recommendation backing medical necessity, then be ready to appeal. If that goes nowhere and you're paying yourself, the Panniculectomy is a reasonable choice, just keep your expectations low about the final look. Usually, if a plastic surgeon is willing to do a Panniculectomy, they'll also offer a cheaper option for a $%^*& reduction.
If money isn't a problem and you're a bit vain (no judgment), then take the slow route. Work hard to build decent muscle tone. Recovery takes a long time, and you'll lose some muscle until you're back in the gym training. Meet with several surgeons, compare prices and their different approaches to your case. A surgeon who specializes in patients who've lost 100+ lbs is absolutely essential! In my opinion, that might even mean traveling if you have to. Go to the ones with the big scrap books, the ones at the peak of their careers rather than just starting out. Skip the free consult, because most likely they aren't the best in the business. Some people save a bit of money and time by having multiple areas done together, while others split areas up one at a time for a faster recovery, but in my opinion they tend to end up with better and happier results that way.
Personally I'd pick #2, and if I were younger with the money again, I would. Especially now that we have the GLP-1's to help us stay compliant.