The "4mg reta glucagon" rule — where it comes from

WLBLD said:

octopusthorpe said:

WLBLD said:

octopusthorpe said:

tubby said:

Saw this crop up again today and thought a post that tackles the topic properly would be worth having. The usual claim is that reta behaves the same as tirzepatide under 4mg, or that the glucagon agonist only "kicks in" once you reach that level.

The 4mg figure is a myth kept alive by one person misreading a phase 1 trial. Participants in that trial got single reta doses and had various markers tracked afterwards. The 3mg arm was the lowest one where serum glucagon dropped meaningfully below its own baseline, and somewhere along the way that got rounded up to 4mg, because 3mg dosing never carried into the phase 2 work.





View attachment 11324

View attachment 11325

Why that reasoning does not hold up:

1: One 4mg hit lands at a peak that is roughly what a weekly 2mg routine produces (drugs accumulate over time). A weekly 4mg routine would instead swing from about 8mg total down to 4mg just before the next shot. Comparing one injection against a weekly schedule is not apples to apples.

2: Nothing says every individual will see glucagon drop at the same dose, because insulin and glucagon vary a lot between people (and baselines can run high in someone who is obese or diabetic). A person with less insulin resistance would probably hit that same result on lower reta dosing, whereas a more insulin resistant person would need a bigger dose before it shows. On top of that, the target keeps moving as treatment goes on, since insulin resistance itself changes too.

3: Serum glucagon on its own is not a standalone metric. Metabolism is governed by the ratio of insulin to glucagon. Any GLP already nudges baseline insulin up a little. So even before glucagon agonism enters the picture, the body will naturally push glucagon up in reply to a GLP. You can see exactly that in the same phase 1 trial, where glucagon rises on a very low reta dose. So reading "unchanged" glucagon at a low dose misses most of the story. The better reading is "balanced," because that is the point where the glucagon agonist is offsetting the GLP-1 RA’s tendency to raise glucagon. 4mg is merely where the glucagon agonist started to win.

Worth adding:

Worth pointing out as well that 99% of influencers have no clue what a shift in glucagon level even signifies. Lowering glucagon is not the aim with reta. A GLP-1 agonist can be read as counterfeit GLP-1, and in the same spirit the glucagon agonist in reta is "counterfeit glucagon." A lower reading for real glucagon in blood matters because it tells you the body has decided glucagon is running too high (it senses all that counterfeit glucagon) and is dialling back how much it makes. It means the body is both being "fooled" by the counterfeit glucagon and convinced that current glucagon levels are excessive.

The normal pattern is that glucagon climbs when you have gone several hours without food, then settles back after a carb-containing meal. A glucagon agonist overrides that and convinces the body the levels never come down. In practice this appears to keep metabolism elevated, and to drive other processes that overall look helpful for people with obesity and/or diabetes and that support weight loss, though I would not claim the precise biochemical reason for it is fully settled.

None of this means 4mg is a bad level or anything of the sort. It just means there is nothing magical or special about that number compared with any other.

View attachment 11326
I appreciate you laying all of this out. For 9 weeks I've been taking 1mg/week, divided into 2 doses of 0.5mg, and the results have been great. 2 weeks ago I attempted a bump to 1.4mg, but the side effects hurt my gym performance and brought on fatigue I wasn't willing to accept, so I dropped back down and feel significantly better now.

That 4mg claim kept coming up, and since reaching or tolerating such a dose seems impossible for me, I wondered whether I was losing out on the glucagon advantages.

Some background: I'm female, 5'10.5", began at 162.4lb, and after 9 weeks on reta I'm at 138.8lb. I'm about to begin tapering down for maintenance (my reason for starting reta was perimenopausal weight gain).
That's something I've been asking myself too. Perhaps all your system required was a slight push. For years you've looked after yourself and stayed in excellent condition. Then your hormones start drifting out of balance, and that was likely the culprit. So maybe your system only required a small glucagon boost, whereas people who aren't in your condition need larger amounts to cover the deficit they're struggling with. That could explain why longtime dedicated gym people (or those with only a little to lose), and similar cases, can use low doses and get results comparable to others who genuinely require far more help.

As for me, I'm already at 5mg Tirz and 3.5mg Reta, yet over the past month I've dropped only 1.8lbs. It's certainly not what I'm eating (I actually need to eat more and have no appetite). I clearly must need a lot more, since my body has to be missing a great deal, ha ha 🙂
That's a question I've had too. I keep coming across a few lifters and athletes who use reta for a "cut," along with what they report, but I haven't spotted any consistent dosing patterns in those results, and the people in the phase 3 trial—plus the data from it—aren't really my demographic. 🙂

5mg tirz and 3.5mg reta? Wowza. Were you already using a GLP before the stack you're on now?
I had the same thought, because plenty of people report amazing results while taking tiny amounts. So maybe there's no definitive answer out there.

Before February I'd never used anything like this, and I still haven't hit a 15lb drop. I'm genuinely grateful since it's the biggest loss I've managed in years, but another 40lbs remain. I've tried literally everything and never once felt hungry. I was also attending 2-3 gym classes daily (for more than a year, so it wasn't a case of whining that the weight didn't vanish in a week, lol) — kickboxing, yoga, pilates, barre, swimming, sauna, and boot camp, some of those with light weights too — plus I was weighing my food, doing intermittent fasting, and had to stay gluten free for 3 years. Phentermine was even prescribed to me, and I barely shed a few lbs.
That sounds frustrating - but your dedication is impressive!

Back in 2016 I weighed almost 300lb. I started a low carb diet (primarily as a therapeutic protocol for intractable epilepsy) and ended up losing 160lb in less than a year (

View: https://imgur.com/gallery/five-years-of-progress-ofUKKf1

). Getting into fitness happened because dropping weight made staying active much simpler. Still, diet did the heavy lifting - my exercise wasn't aimed at shedding pounds, it was about building strength for my later years. Honestly, the smartest choice I've ever made. Kept that weight off for nearly 10 years, then perimenopause arrived and added roughly 25lb. That's why I'm on reta, and it's been amazing. The only catch is I have to make myself eat enough to fuel my activity level 🤣
 
octopusthorpe said:

WLBLD said:

octopusthorpe said:

WLBLD said:

octopusthorpe said:

tubby said:

Saw this crop up again today and thought a post that tackles the topic properly would be worth having. The usual claim is that reta behaves the same as tirzepatide under 4mg, or that the glucagon agonist only "kicks in" once you reach that level.

The 4mg figure is a myth kept alive by one person misreading a phase 1 trial. Participants in that trial got single reta doses and had various markers tracked afterwards. The 3mg arm was the lowest one where serum glucagon dropped meaningfully below its own baseline, and somewhere along the way that got rounded up to 4mg, because 3mg dosing never carried into the phase 2 work.





View attachment 11324

View attachment 11325

Why that reasoning does not hold up:

1: One 4mg hit lands at a peak that is roughly what a weekly 2mg routine produces (drugs accumulate over time). A weekly 4mg routine would instead swing from about 8mg total down to 4mg just before the next shot. Comparing one injection against a weekly schedule is not apples to apples.

2: Nothing says every individual will see glucagon drop at the same dose, because insulin and glucagon vary a lot between people (and baselines can run high in someone who is obese or diabetic). A person with less insulin resistance would probably hit that same result on lower reta dosing, whereas a more insulin resistant person would need a bigger dose before it shows. On top of that, the target keeps moving as treatment goes on, since insulin resistance itself changes too.

3: Serum glucagon on its own is not a standalone metric. Metabolism is governed by the ratio of insulin to glucagon. Any GLP already nudges baseline insulin up a little. So even before glucagon agonism enters the picture, the body will naturally push glucagon up in reply to a GLP. You can see exactly that in the same phase 1 trial, where glucagon rises on a very low reta dose. So reading "unchanged" glucagon at a low dose misses most of the story. The better reading is "balanced," because that is the point where the glucagon agonist is offsetting the GLP-1 RA’s tendency to raise glucagon. 4mg is merely where the glucagon agonist started to win.

Worth adding:

Worth pointing out as well that 99% of influencers have no clue what a shift in glucagon level even signifies. Lowering glucagon is not the aim with reta. A GLP-1 agonist can be read as counterfeit GLP-1, and in the same spirit the glucagon agonist in reta is "counterfeit glucagon." A lower reading for real glucagon in blood matters because it tells you the body has decided glucagon is running too high (it senses all that counterfeit glucagon) and is dialling back how much it makes. It means the body is both being "fooled" by the counterfeit glucagon and convinced that current glucagon levels are excessive.

The normal pattern is that glucagon climbs when you have gone several hours without food, then settles back after a carb-containing meal. A glucagon agonist overrides that and convinces the body the levels never come down. In practice this appears to keep metabolism elevated, and to drive other processes that overall look helpful for people with obesity and/or diabetes and that support weight loss, though I would not claim the precise biochemical reason for it is fully settled.

None of this means 4mg is a bad level or anything of the sort. It just means there is nothing magical or special about that number compared with any other.

View attachment 11326
I appreciate you laying all of this out. For 9 weeks I've been taking 1mg/week, divided into 2 doses of 0.5mg, and the results have been great. 2 weeks ago I attempted a bump to 1.4mg, but the side effects hurt my gym performance and brought on fatigue I wasn't willing to accept, so I dropped back down and feel significantly better now.

That 4mg claim kept coming up, and since reaching or tolerating such a dose seems impossible for me, I wondered whether I was losing out on the glucagon advantages.

Some background: I'm female, 5'10.5", began at 162.4lb, and after 9 weeks on reta I'm at 138.8lb. I'm about to begin tapering down for maintenance (my reason for starting reta was perimenopausal weight gain).
That's something I've been asking myself too. Perhaps all your system required was a slight push. For years you've looked after yourself and stayed in excellent condition. Then your hormones start drifting out of balance, and that was likely the culprit. So maybe your system only required a small glucagon boost, whereas people who aren't in your condition need larger amounts to cover the deficit they're struggling with. That could explain why longtime dedicated gym people (or those with only a little to lose), and similar cases, can use low doses and get results comparable to others who genuinely require far more help.

As for me, I'm already at 5mg Tirz and 3.5mg Reta, yet over the past month I've dropped only 1.8lbs. It's certainly not what I'm eating (I actually need to eat more and have no appetite). I clearly must need a lot more, since my body has to be missing a great deal, ha ha 🙂
That's a question I've had too. I keep coming across a few lifters and athletes who use reta for a "cut," along with what they report, but I haven't spotted any consistent dosing patterns in those results, and the people in the phase 3 trial—plus the data from it—aren't really my demographic. 🙂

5mg tirz and 3.5mg reta? Wowza. Were you already using a GLP before the stack you're on now?
I had the same thought, because plenty of people report amazing results while taking tiny amounts. So maybe there's no definitive answer out there.

Before February I'd never used anything like this, and I still haven't hit a 15lb drop. I'm genuinely grateful since it's the biggest loss I've managed in years, but another 40lbs remain. I've tried literally everything and never once felt hungry. I was also attending 2-3 gym classes daily (for more than a year, so it wasn't a case of whining that the weight didn't vanish in a week, lol) — kickboxing, yoga, pilates, barre, swimming, sauna, and boot camp, some of those with light weights too — plus I was weighing my food, doing intermittent fasting, and had to stay gluten free for 3 years. Phentermine was even prescribed to me, and I barely shed a few lbs.
That sounds frustrating - but your dedication is impressive!

Back in 2016 I weighed almost 300lb. I started a low carb diet (primarily as a therapeutic protocol for intractable epilepsy) and ended up losing 160lb in less than a year (

View: https://imgur.com/gallery/five-years-of-progress-ofUKKf1

). Getting into fitness happened because dropping weight made staying active much simpler. Still, diet did the heavy lifting - my exercise wasn't aimed at shedding pounds, it was about building strength for my later years. Honestly, the smartest choice I've ever made. Kept that weight off for nearly 10 years, then perimenopause arrived and added roughly 25lb. That's why I'm on reta, and it's been amazing. The only catch is I have to make myself eat enough to fuel my activity level 🤣
Your journey really resonates with me, and seeing how happy and proud you are in your videos brought a smile to my face!! A trainer I really looked up to used to tell me that 80% of results come from the kitchen, so exercise is just the extra bonus!! I totally get what you're saying. My appetite is completely gone, and whenever I try to figure out what to eat, absolutely nothing appeals to me, ha ha 🤣
 
octopusthorpe said:

tubby said:

Saw this crop up again today and thought a post that tackles the topic properly would be worth having. The usual claim is that reta behaves the same as tirzepatide under 4mg, or that the glucagon agonist only "kicks in" once you reach that level.

The 4mg figure is a myth kept alive by one person misreading a phase 1 trial. Participants in that trial got single reta doses and had various markers tracked afterwards. The 3mg arm was the lowest one where serum glucagon dropped meaningfully below its own baseline, and somewhere along the way that got rounded up to 4mg, because 3mg dosing never carried into the phase 2 work.





View attachment 11324

View attachment 11325

Why that reasoning does not hold up:

1: One 4mg hit lands at a peak that is roughly what a weekly 2mg routine produces (drugs accumulate over time). A weekly 4mg routine would instead swing from about 8mg total down to 4mg just before the next shot. Comparing one injection against a weekly schedule is not apples to apples.

2: Nothing says every individual will see glucagon drop at the same dose, because insulin and glucagon vary a lot between people (and baselines can run high in someone who is obese or diabetic). A person with less insulin resistance would probably hit that same result on lower reta dosing, whereas a more insulin resistant person would need a bigger dose before it shows. On top of that, the target keeps moving as treatment goes on, since insulin resistance itself changes too.

3: Serum glucagon on its own is not a standalone metric. Metabolism is governed by the ratio of insulin to glucagon. Any GLP already nudges baseline insulin up a little. So even before glucagon agonism enters the picture, the body will naturally push glucagon up in reply to a GLP. You can see exactly that in the same phase 1 trial, where glucagon rises on a very low reta dose. So reading "unchanged" glucagon at a low dose misses most of the story. The better reading is "balanced," because that is the point where the glucagon agonist is offsetting the GLP-1 RA’s tendency to raise glucagon. 4mg is merely where the glucagon agonist started to win.

Worth adding:

Worth pointing out as well that 99% of influencers have no clue what a shift in glucagon level even signifies. Lowering glucagon is not the aim with reta. A GLP-1 agonist can be read as counterfeit GLP-1, and in the same spirit the glucagon agonist in reta is "counterfeit glucagon." A lower reading for real glucagon in blood matters because it tells you the body has decided glucagon is running too high (it senses all that counterfeit glucagon) and is dialling back how much it makes. It means the body is both being "fooled" by the counterfeit glucagon and convinced that current glucagon levels are excessive.

The normal pattern is that glucagon climbs when you have gone several hours without food, then settles back after a carb-containing meal. A glucagon agonist overrides that and convinces the body the levels never come down. In practice this appears to keep metabolism elevated, and to drive other processes that overall look helpful for people with obesity and/or diabetes and that support weight loss, though I would not claim the precise biochemical reason for it is fully settled.

None of this means 4mg is a bad level or anything of the sort. It just means there is nothing magical or special about that number compared with any other.

View attachment 11326
I appreciate you laying all of this out. For 9 weeks I've been taking 1mg/week, divided into 2 doses of 0.5mg, and the results have been great. 2 weeks ago I attempted a bump to 1.4mg, but the side effects hurt my gym performance and brought on fatigue I wasn't willing to accept, so I dropped back down and feel significantly better now.

That 4mg claim kept coming up, and since reaching or tolerating such a dose seems impossible for me, I wondered whether I was losing out on the glucagon advantages.

Some background: I'm female, 5'10.5", began at 162.4lb, and after 9 weeks on reta I'm at 138.8lb. I'm about to begin tapering down for maintenance (my reason for starting reta was perimenopausal weight gain).
What a small world! I don't believe our paths have crossed in person, but I know you from the low-carb scene, and I was also present at the COSCI during its inaugural year when Dave and his team held it in Vegas.

It's quite a curiosity that people like us—who generally steered clear of earlier-generation GLPs—have now become intrigued by retatrutide. For me, the whole glucagon-agonism angle simply felt like a richer subject to explore than the previous generation, though I can't quite put my finger on the exact reason. Reta appears to be pulling in the serious diet-and-nutrition tinkerer types, the ones who previously wanted nothing to do with GLPs. Looking back, that's rather strange, because most of us were perfectly willing to try unorthodox things that would send most people running. Yet even during the tirzepatide era we kept our distance, even though that was arguably the moment these drugs finally became good enough to be worth considering. Go figure!

Regarding your own experience, I have a hunch that the more insulin-sensitive a person is, the harder they'll find the early fatigue from reta (and this would hold true even at lower doses). My reasoning: if someone begins with a low fasting insulin level—which would also suggest a low baseline glucagon level—then when these medications start nudging hormones in ways that shift insulin and glucagon around, that shift will feel far more dramatic to them than it would to someone starting from a much higher fasting insulin level. When I began at 1mg, the fatigue was pretty crippling for several days before it settled into a level I could still function with. I don't have enough data to confirm or refute this, but it's an educated guess, and given your low-carb background, I assume you were metabolically healthy before starting reta.

I'll also mention that GLP-assisted weight loss has some odd characteristics—it seems to lean toward stripping more lean mass than diets typically do. That sounds alarming at first, but it appears to happen without major strength losses, provided the person stays active. I've caught myself wondering whether it might be something akin to autophagy. It would be interesting to know whether your weight loss has tracked with a substantial drop in body fat, whether your lifting strength has suffered, or what has stood out as unique for you. And I'd also be curious whether your diet has changed much from before reta to now.
 
tubby said:

octopusthorpe said:

tubby said:

Saw this crop up again today and thought a post that tackles the topic properly would be worth having. The usual claim is that reta behaves the same as tirzepatide under 4mg, or that the glucagon agonist only "kicks in" once you reach that level.

The 4mg figure is a myth kept alive by one person misreading a phase 1 trial. Participants in that trial got single reta doses and had various markers tracked afterwards. The 3mg arm was the lowest one where serum glucagon dropped meaningfully below its own baseline, and somewhere along the way that got rounded up to 4mg, because 3mg dosing never carried into the phase 2 work.





View attachment 11324

View attachment 11325

Why that reasoning does not hold up:

1: One 4mg hit lands at a peak that is roughly what a weekly 2mg routine produces (drugs accumulate over time). A weekly 4mg routine would instead swing from about 8mg total down to 4mg just before the next shot. Comparing one injection against a weekly schedule is not apples to apples.

2: Nothing says every individual will see glucagon drop at the same dose, because insulin and glucagon vary a lot between people (and baselines can run high in someone who is obese or diabetic). A person with less insulin resistance would probably hit that same result on lower reta dosing, whereas a more insulin resistant person would need a bigger dose before it shows. On top of that, the target keeps moving as treatment goes on, since insulin resistance itself changes too.

3: Serum glucagon on its own is not a standalone metric. Metabolism is governed by the ratio of insulin to glucagon. Any GLP already nudges baseline insulin up a little. So even before glucagon agonism enters the picture, the body will naturally push glucagon up in reply to a GLP. You can see exactly that in the same phase 1 trial, where glucagon rises on a very low reta dose. So reading "unchanged" glucagon at a low dose misses most of the story. The better reading is "balanced," because that is the point where the glucagon agonist is offsetting the GLP-1 RA’s tendency to raise glucagon. 4mg is merely where the glucagon agonist started to win.

Worth adding:

Worth pointing out as well that 99% of influencers have no clue what a shift in glucagon level even signifies. Lowering glucagon is not the aim with reta. A GLP-1 agonist can be read as counterfeit GLP-1, and in the same spirit the glucagon agonist in reta is "counterfeit glucagon." A lower reading for real glucagon in blood matters because it tells you the body has decided glucagon is running too high (it senses all that counterfeit glucagon) and is dialling back how much it makes. It means the body is both being "fooled" by the counterfeit glucagon and convinced that current glucagon levels are excessive.

The normal pattern is that glucagon climbs when you have gone several hours without food, then settles back after a carb-containing meal. A glucagon agonist overrides that and convinces the body the levels never come down. In practice this appears to keep metabolism elevated, and to drive other processes that overall look helpful for people with obesity and/or diabetes and that support weight loss, though I would not claim the precise biochemical reason for it is fully settled.

None of this means 4mg is a bad level or anything of the sort. It just means there is nothing magical or special about that number compared with any other.

View attachment 11326
I appreciate you laying all of this out. For 9 weeks I've been taking 1mg/week, divided into 2 doses of 0.5mg, and the results have been great. 2 weeks ago I attempted a bump to 1.4mg, but the side effects hurt my gym performance and brought on fatigue I wasn't willing to accept, so I dropped back down and feel significantly better now.

That 4mg claim kept coming up, and since reaching or tolerating such a dose seems impossible for me, I wondered whether I was losing out on the glucagon advantages.

Some background: I'm female, 5'10.5", began at 162.4lb, and after 9 weeks on reta I'm at 138.8lb. I'm about to begin tapering down for maintenance (my reason for starting reta was perimenopausal weight gain).
What a small world! I don't believe our paths have crossed in person, but I know you from the low-carb scene, and I was also present at the COSCI during its inaugural year when Dave and his team held it in Vegas.

It's quite a curiosity that people like us—who generally steered clear of earlier-generation GLPs—have now become intrigued by retatrutide. For me, the whole glucagon-agonism angle simply felt like a richer subject to explore than the previous generation, though I can't quite put my finger on the exact reason. Reta appears to be pulling in the serious diet-and-nutrition tinkerer types, the ones who previously wanted nothing to do with GLPs. Looking back, that's rather strange, because most of us were perfectly willing to try unorthodox things that would send most people running. Yet even during the tirzepatide era we kept our distance, even though that was arguably the moment these drugs finally became good enough to be worth considering. Go figure!

Regarding your own experience, I have a hunch that the more insulin-sensitive a person is, the harder they'll find the early fatigue from reta (and this would hold true even at lower doses). My reasoning: if someone begins with a low fasting insulin level—which would also suggest a low baseline glucagon level—then when these medications start nudging hormones in ways that shift insulin and glucagon around, that shift will feel far more dramatic to them than it would to someone starting from a much higher fasting insulin level. When I began at 1mg, the fatigue was pretty crippling for several days before it settled into a level I could still function with. I don't have enough data to confirm or refute this, but it's an educated guess, and given your low-carb background, I assume you were metabolically healthy before starting reta.

I'll also mention that GLP-assisted weight loss has some odd characteristics—it seems to lean toward stripping more lean mass than diets typically do. That sounds alarming at first, but it appears to happen without major strength losses, provided the person stays active. I've caught myself wondering whether it might be something akin to autophagy. It would be interesting to know whether your weight loss has tracked with a substantial drop in body fat, whether your lifting strength has suffered, or what has stood out as unique for you. And I'd also be curious whether your diet has changed much from before reta to now.
Alright, that's a good one - I've been hanging around the keto/carnivore/low-carb/LMHR world on Twitter ever since my own keto story began back in 2016, which I started for epilepsy. So my hunch is I probably know who you are, at least in the online sense. The obvious reasons keep my reta experiment away from social media - the gray market peptide stigma being the main one, and I simply don't want the hassle. 😉

On the "shunning" of GLPs in that community, I'm with you - particularly given that keto by itself took 160lb off me. Reta ended up being the first one I got curious about, largely because sharp folks in "my circle" were researching it and even running experiments (Amber being one), and since I've never been the type to back away from a health experiment, I jumped in a bit more than two months ago.

As far as lifting goes, any strength drop I've had looks the same as what I get from any other kind of caloric restriction. Consuming enough calories to fuel my training has been the real obstacle with reta, especially since I love doing marathon-or-longer hikes on weekends. Once I bumped my dose to 1.4mg/week (0.7mg 2x weekly), my lifting stamina clearly fell off - it wasn't merely that the same weights felt harder, my sessions left me physically wiped out (on top of the daily fatigue that lingered). So when my Tuesday injection came last week, I dropped back to 1mg/week and my workouts have returned to normal.

What's interesting is that my sleep has stayed solid (sleep scores in the 90s on most nights), my RHR is still low to mid 40s (which is normal for me), my HRV is still balanced, and VO2 max is unchanged. The one thing I have noticed is a higher-than-usual HR spike during both lifting and hiking - not alarming, but reaching zone 5 is far easier than it used to be.

What has been most surprising, remarkably, is that my brain used to run nonstop 24/7 - not only food noise, but everything noise. Racing thoughts, health anxiety, catastrophizing, rumination…it never really shut off. And now? That background noise has almost vanished. For the first time in years my mind feels quiet, and I can actually focus. The constant anxiety and spiraling have dropped dramatically. This was genuinely not something I expected. The weight loss is great, but for me the mental peace has been miraculous. I knew reta shut off the "food noise" but never entertained the thought that it shut off the "everything" noise. I'm tempted to keep microdosing after my cut just for that benefit alone.

And my diet has not changed at all, aside from volume. I was LCHF from 2017-2019, then switched to LCHP to support muscle growth and have been there ever since. Usually average between 20-30g carbs per day.

I'd be curious to hear your take on the widespread idea that "reta needs carbs to work". It gets repeated all over Reddit (which admittedly doesn't give the theory much weight - r/retatrutide is a hot mess) but I'd love to learn more about the science behind it.

Really great to meet you - thanks for responding!
 
deleted.user.26 said:

Responses clearly vary from person to person. I've been taking 1mg for close to 11 weeks. My starting weight was 328, and I'm down 25lbs (7.6%, which beats the trial figures for 1mg), plus my waist has shrunk by 4 inches, so in my case 1mg seems to be handling visceral fat quite effectively too. That said, I've also changed how I eat and I train 3 times per week. It all adds up.
Honestly, my results were better at the lower doses. Then again, maybe my system has simply adapted now that I'm at 5mg, and I'm beginning to plateau.

octopusthorpe said:

tubby said:

octopusthorpe said:

tubby said:

Saw this crop up again today and thought a post that tackles the topic properly would be worth having. The usual claim is that reta behaves the same as tirzepatide under 4mg, or that the glucagon agonist only "kicks in" once you reach that level.

The 4mg figure is a myth kept alive by one person misreading a phase 1 trial. Participants in that trial got single reta doses and had various markers tracked afterwards. The 3mg arm was the lowest one where serum glucagon dropped meaningfully below its own baseline, and somewhere along the way that got rounded up to 4mg, because 3mg dosing never carried into the phase 2 work.





View attachment 11324

View attachment 11325

Why that reasoning does not hold up:

1: One 4mg hit lands at a peak that is roughly what a weekly 2mg routine produces (drugs accumulate over time). A weekly 4mg routine would instead swing from about 8mg total down to 4mg just before the next shot. Comparing one injection against a weekly schedule is not apples to apples.

2: Nothing says every individual will see glucagon drop at the same dose, because insulin and glucagon vary a lot between people (and baselines can run high in someone who is obese or diabetic). A person with less insulin resistance would probably hit that same result on lower reta dosing, whereas a more insulin resistant person would need a bigger dose before it shows. On top of that, the target keeps moving as treatment goes on, since insulin resistance itself changes too.

3: Serum glucagon on its own is not a standalone metric. Metabolism is governed by the ratio of insulin to glucagon. Any GLP already nudges baseline insulin up a little. So even before glucagon agonism enters the picture, the body will naturally push glucagon up in reply to a GLP. You can see exactly that in the same phase 1 trial, where glucagon rises on a very low reta dose. So reading "unchanged" glucagon at a low dose misses most of the story. The better reading is "balanced," because that is the point where the glucagon agonist is offsetting the GLP-1 RA’s tendency to raise glucagon. 4mg is merely where the glucagon agonist started to win.

Worth adding:

Worth pointing out as well that 99% of influencers have no clue what a shift in glucagon level even signifies. Lowering glucagon is not the aim with reta. A GLP-1 agonist can be read as counterfeit GLP-1, and in the same spirit the glucagon agonist in reta is "counterfeit glucagon." A lower reading for real glucagon in blood matters because it tells you the body has decided glucagon is running too high (it senses all that counterfeit glucagon) and is dialling back how much it makes. It means the body is both being "fooled" by the counterfeit glucagon and convinced that current glucagon levels are excessive.

The normal pattern is that glucagon climbs when you have gone several hours without food, then settles back after a carb-containing meal. A glucagon agonist overrides that and convinces the body the levels never come down. In practice this appears to keep metabolism elevated, and to drive other processes that overall look helpful for people with obesity and/or diabetes and that support weight loss, though I would not claim the precise biochemical reason for it is fully settled.

None of this means 4mg is a bad level or anything of the sort. It just means there is nothing magical or special about that number compared with any other.

View attachment 11326
I appreciate you laying all of this out. For 9 weeks I've been taking 1mg/week, divided into 2 doses of 0.5mg, and the results have been great. 2 weeks ago I attempted a bump to 1.4mg, but the side effects hurt my gym performance and brought on fatigue I wasn't willing to accept, so I dropped back down and feel significantly better now.

That 4mg claim kept coming up, and since reaching or tolerating such a dose seems impossible for me, I wondered whether I was losing out on the glucagon advantages.

Some background: I'm female, 5'10.5", began at 162.4lb, and after 9 weeks on reta I'm at 138.8lb. I'm about to begin tapering down for maintenance (my reason for starting reta was perimenopausal weight gain).
What a small world! I don't believe our paths have crossed in person, but I know you from the low-carb scene, and I was also present at the COSCI during its inaugural year when Dave and his team held it in Vegas.

It's quite a curiosity that people like us—who generally steered clear of earlier-generation GLPs—have now become intrigued by retatrutide. For me, the whole glucagon-agonism angle simply felt like a richer subject to explore than the previous generation, though I can't quite put my finger on the exact reason. Reta appears to be pulling in the serious diet-and-nutrition tinkerer types, the ones who previously wanted nothing to do with GLPs. Looking back, that's rather strange, because most of us were perfectly willing to try unorthodox things that would send most people running. Yet even during the tirzepatide era we kept our distance, even though that was arguably the moment these drugs finally became good enough to be worth considering. Go figure!

Regarding your own experience, I have a hunch that the more insulin-sensitive a person is, the harder they'll find the early fatigue from reta (and this would hold true even at lower doses). My reasoning: if someone begins with a low fasting insulin level—which would also suggest a low baseline glucagon level—then when these medications start nudging hormones in ways that shift insulin and glucagon around, that shift will feel far more dramatic to them than it would to someone starting from a much higher fasting insulin level. When I began at 1mg, the fatigue was pretty crippling for several days before it settled into a level I could still function with. I don't have enough data to confirm or refute this, but it's an educated guess, and given your low-carb background, I assume you were metabolically healthy before starting reta.

I'll also mention that GLP-assisted weight loss has some odd characteristics—it seems to lean toward stripping more lean mass than diets typically do. That sounds alarming at first, but it appears to happen without major strength losses, provided the person stays active. I've caught myself wondering whether it might be something akin to autophagy. It would be interesting to know whether your weight loss has tracked with a substantial drop in body fat, whether your lifting strength has suffered, or what has stood out as unique for you. And I'd also be curious whether your diet has changed much from before reta to now.
Alright, that's a good one - I've been hanging around the keto/carnivore/low-carb/LMHR world on Twitter ever since my own keto story began back in 2016, which I started for epilepsy. So my hunch is I probably know who you are, at least in the online sense. The obvious reasons keep my reta experiment away from social media - the gray market peptide stigma being the main one, and I simply don't want the hassle. 😉

On the "shunning" of GLPs in that community, I'm with you - particularly given that keto by itself took 160lb off me. Reta ended up being the first one I got curious about, largely because sharp folks in "my circle" were researching it and even running experiments (Amber being one), and since I've never been the type to back away from a health experiment, I jumped in a bit more than two months ago.

As far as lifting goes, any strength drop I've had looks the same as what I get from any other kind of caloric restriction. Consuming enough calories to fuel my training has been the real obstacle with reta, especially since I love doing marathon-or-longer hikes on weekends. Once I bumped my dose to 1.4mg/week (0.7mg 2x weekly), my lifting stamina clearly fell off - it wasn't merely that the same weights felt harder, my sessions left me physically wiped out (on top of the daily fatigue that lingered). So when my Tuesday injection came last week, I dropped back to 1mg/week and my workouts have returned to normal.

What's interesting is that my sleep has stayed solid (sleep scores in the 90s on most nights), my RHR is still low to mid 40s (which is normal for me), my HRV is still balanced, and VO2 max is unchanged. The one thing I have noticed is a higher-than-usual HR spike during both lifting and hiking - not alarming, but reaching zone 5 is far easier than it used to be.

What has been most surprising, remarkably, is that my brain used to run nonstop 24/7 - not only food noise, but everything noise. Racing thoughts, health anxiety, catastrophizing, rumination…it never really shut off. And now? That background noise has almost vanished. For the first time in years my mind feels quiet, and I can actually focus. The constant anxiety and spiraling have dropped dramatically. This was genuinely not something I expected. The weight loss is great, but for me the mental peace has been miraculous. I knew reta shut off the "food noise" but never entertained the thought that it shut off the "everything" noise. I'm tempted to keep microdosing after my cut just for that benefit alone.

And my diet has not changed at all, aside from volume. I was LCHF from 2017-2019, then switched to LCHP to support muscle growth and have been there ever since. Usually average between 20-30g carbs per day.

I'd be curious to hear your take on the widespread idea that "reta needs carbs to work". It gets repeated all over Reddit (which admittedly doesn't give the theory much weight - r/retatrutide is a hot mess) but I'd love to learn more about the science behind it.

Really great to meet you - thanks for responding!
This has been on my mind as well. Before starting reta, I dropped weight on low carb, but after hearing about the carb thing on YouTube, I quit.
 
octopusthorpe said:

tubby said:

octopusthorpe said:

tubby said:

Saw this crop up again today and thought a post that tackles the topic properly would be worth having. The usual claim is that reta behaves the same as tirzepatide under 4mg, or that the glucagon agonist only "kicks in" once you reach that level.

The 4mg figure is a myth kept alive by one person misreading a phase 1 trial. Participants in that trial got single reta doses and had various markers tracked afterwards. The 3mg arm was the lowest one where serum glucagon dropped meaningfully below its own baseline, and somewhere along the way that got rounded up to 4mg, because 3mg dosing never carried into the phase 2 work.





View attachment 11324

View attachment 11325

Why that reasoning does not hold up:

1: One 4mg hit lands at a peak that is roughly what a weekly 2mg routine produces (drugs accumulate over time). A weekly 4mg routine would instead swing from about 8mg total down to 4mg just before the next shot. Comparing one injection against a weekly schedule is not apples to apples.

2: Nothing says every individual will see glucagon drop at the same dose, because insulin and glucagon vary a lot between people (and baselines can run high in someone who is obese or diabetic). A person with less insulin resistance would probably hit that same result on lower reta dosing, whereas a more insulin resistant person would need a bigger dose before it shows. On top of that, the target keeps moving as treatment goes on, since insulin resistance itself changes too.

3: Serum glucagon on its own is not a standalone metric. Metabolism is governed by the ratio of insulin to glucagon. Any GLP already nudges baseline insulin up a little. So even before glucagon agonism enters the picture, the body will naturally push glucagon up in reply to a GLP. You can see exactly that in the same phase 1 trial, where glucagon rises on a very low reta dose. So reading "unchanged" glucagon at a low dose misses most of the story. The better reading is "balanced," because that is the point where the glucagon agonist is offsetting the GLP-1 RA’s tendency to raise glucagon. 4mg is merely where the glucagon agonist started to win.

Worth adding:

Worth pointing out as well that 99% of influencers have no clue what a shift in glucagon level even signifies. Lowering glucagon is not the aim with reta. A GLP-1 agonist can be read as counterfeit GLP-1, and in the same spirit the glucagon agonist in reta is "counterfeit glucagon." A lower reading for real glucagon in blood matters because it tells you the body has decided glucagon is running too high (it senses all that counterfeit glucagon) and is dialling back how much it makes. It means the body is both being "fooled" by the counterfeit glucagon and convinced that current glucagon levels are excessive.

The normal pattern is that glucagon climbs when you have gone several hours without food, then settles back after a carb-containing meal. A glucagon agonist overrides that and convinces the body the levels never come down. In practice this appears to keep metabolism elevated, and to drive other processes that overall look helpful for people with obesity and/or diabetes and that support weight loss, though I would not claim the precise biochemical reason for it is fully settled.

None of this means 4mg is a bad level or anything of the sort. It just means there is nothing magical or special about that number compared with any other.

View attachment 11326
I appreciate you laying all of this out. For 9 weeks I've been taking 1mg/week, divided into 2 doses of 0.5mg, and the results have been great. 2 weeks ago I attempted a bump to 1.4mg, but the side effects hurt my gym performance and brought on fatigue I wasn't willing to accept, so I dropped back down and feel significantly better now.

That 4mg claim kept coming up, and since reaching or tolerating such a dose seems impossible for me, I wondered whether I was losing out on the glucagon advantages.

Some background: I'm female, 5'10.5", began at 162.4lb, and after 9 weeks on reta I'm at 138.8lb. I'm about to begin tapering down for maintenance (my reason for starting reta was perimenopausal weight gain).
What a small world! I don't believe our paths have crossed in person, but I know you from the low-carb scene, and I was also present at the COSCI during its inaugural year when Dave and his team held it in Vegas.

It's quite a curiosity that people like us—who generally steered clear of earlier-generation GLPs—have now become intrigued by retatrutide. For me, the whole glucagon-agonism angle simply felt like a richer subject to explore than the previous generation, though I can't quite put my finger on the exact reason. Reta appears to be pulling in the serious diet-and-nutrition tinkerer types, the ones who previously wanted nothing to do with GLPs. Looking back, that's rather strange, because most of us were perfectly willing to try unorthodox things that would send most people running. Yet even during the tirzepatide era we kept our distance, even though that was arguably the moment these drugs finally became good enough to be worth considering. Go figure!

Regarding your own experience, I have a hunch that the more insulin-sensitive a person is, the harder they'll find the early fatigue from reta (and this would hold true even at lower doses). My reasoning: if someone begins with a low fasting insulin level—which would also suggest a low baseline glucagon level—then when these medications start nudging hormones in ways that shift insulin and glucagon around, that shift will feel far more dramatic to them than it would to someone starting from a much higher fasting insulin level. When I began at 1mg, the fatigue was pretty crippling for several days before it settled into a level I could still function with. I don't have enough data to confirm or refute this, but it's an educated guess, and given your low-carb background, I assume you were metabolically healthy before starting reta.

I'll also mention that GLP-assisted weight loss has some odd characteristics—it seems to lean toward stripping more lean mass than diets typically do. That sounds alarming at first, but it appears to happen without major strength losses, provided the person stays active. I've caught myself wondering whether it might be something akin to autophagy. It would be interesting to know whether your weight loss has tracked with a substantial drop in body fat, whether your lifting strength has suffered, or what has stood out as unique for you. And I'd also be curious whether your diet has changed much from before reta to now.
Alright, that's a good one - I've been hanging around the keto/carnivore/low-carb/LMHR world on Twitter ever since my own keto story began back in 2016, which I started for epilepsy. So my hunch is I probably know who you are, at least in the online sense. The obvious reasons keep my reta experiment away from social media - the gray market peptide stigma being the main one, and I simply don't want the hassle. 😉

On the "shunning" of GLPs in that community, I'm with you - particularly given that keto by itself took 160lb off me. Reta ended up being the first one I got curious about, largely because sharp folks in "my circle" were researching it and even running experiments (Amber being one), and since I've never been the type to back away from a health experiment, I jumped in a bit more than two months ago.

As far as lifting goes, any strength drop I've had looks the same as what I get from any other kind of caloric restriction. Consuming enough calories to fuel my training has been the real obstacle with reta, especially since I love doing marathon-or-longer hikes on weekends. Once I bumped my dose to 1.4mg/week (0.7mg 2x weekly), my lifting stamina clearly fell off - it wasn't merely that the same weights felt harder, my sessions left me physically wiped out (on top of the daily fatigue that lingered). So when my Tuesday injection came last week, I dropped back to 1mg/week and my workouts have returned to normal.

What's interesting is that my sleep has stayed solid (sleep scores in the 90s on most nights), my RHR is still low to mid 40s (which is normal for me), my HRV is still balanced, and VO2 max is unchanged. The one thing I have noticed is a higher-than-usual HR spike during both lifting and hiking - not alarming, but reaching zone 5 is far easier than it used to be.

What has been most surprising, remarkably, is that my brain used to run nonstop 24/7 - not only food noise, but everything noise. Racing thoughts, health anxiety, catastrophizing, rumination…it never really shut off. And now? That background noise has almost vanished. For the first time in years my mind feels quiet, and I can actually focus. The constant anxiety and spiraling have dropped dramatically. This was genuinely not something I expected. The weight loss is great, but for me the mental peace has been miraculous. I knew reta shut off the "food noise" but never entertained the thought that it shut off the "everything" noise. I'm tempted to keep microdosing after my cut just for that benefit alone.

And my diet has not changed at all, aside from volume. I was LCHF from 2017-2019, then switched to LCHP to support muscle growth and have been there ever since. Usually average between 20-30g carbs per day.

I'd be curious to hear your take on the widespread idea that "reta needs carbs to work". It gets repeated all over Reddit (which admittedly doesn't give the theory much weight - r/retatrutide is a hot mess) but I'd love to learn more about the science behind it.

Really great to meet you - thanks for responding!
That claim about Reta requiring carbs could just come down to personal variation. I'm acquainted with someone who exercises heavily and hit a plateau, which only broke after they increased their carb intake.
 
octopusthorpe said:

tubby said:

octopusthorpe said:

tubby said:

Saw this crop up again today and thought a post that tackles the topic properly would be worth having. The usual claim is that reta behaves the same as tirzepatide under 4mg, or that the glucagon agonist only "kicks in" once you reach that level.

The 4mg figure is a myth kept alive by one person misreading a phase 1 trial. Participants in that trial got single reta doses and had various markers tracked afterwards. The 3mg arm was the lowest one where serum glucagon dropped meaningfully below its own baseline, and somewhere along the way that got rounded up to 4mg, because 3mg dosing never carried into the phase 2 work.





View attachment 11324

View attachment 11325

Why that reasoning does not hold up:

1: One 4mg hit lands at a peak that is roughly what a weekly 2mg routine produces (drugs accumulate over time). A weekly 4mg routine would instead swing from about 8mg total down to 4mg just before the next shot. Comparing one injection against a weekly schedule is not apples to apples.

2: Nothing says every individual will see glucagon drop at the same dose, because insulin and glucagon vary a lot between people (and baselines can run high in someone who is obese or diabetic). A person with less insulin resistance would probably hit that same result on lower reta dosing, whereas a more insulin resistant person would need a bigger dose before it shows. On top of that, the target keeps moving as treatment goes on, since insulin resistance itself changes too.

3: Serum glucagon on its own is not a standalone metric. Metabolism is governed by the ratio of insulin to glucagon. Any GLP already nudges baseline insulin up a little. So even before glucagon agonism enters the picture, the body will naturally push glucagon up in reply to a GLP. You can see exactly that in the same phase 1 trial, where glucagon rises on a very low reta dose. So reading "unchanged" glucagon at a low dose misses most of the story. The better reading is "balanced," because that is the point where the glucagon agonist is offsetting the GLP-1 RA’s tendency to raise glucagon. 4mg is merely where the glucagon agonist started to win.

Worth adding:

Worth pointing out as well that 99% of influencers have no clue what a shift in glucagon level even signifies. Lowering glucagon is not the aim with reta. A GLP-1 agonist can be read as counterfeit GLP-1, and in the same spirit the glucagon agonist in reta is "counterfeit glucagon." A lower reading for real glucagon in blood matters because it tells you the body has decided glucagon is running too high (it senses all that counterfeit glucagon) and is dialling back how much it makes. It means the body is both being "fooled" by the counterfeit glucagon and convinced that current glucagon levels are excessive.

The normal pattern is that glucagon climbs when you have gone several hours without food, then settles back after a carb-containing meal. A glucagon agonist overrides that and convinces the body the levels never come down. In practice this appears to keep metabolism elevated, and to drive other processes that overall look helpful for people with obesity and/or diabetes and that support weight loss, though I would not claim the precise biochemical reason for it is fully settled.

None of this means 4mg is a bad level or anything of the sort. It just means there is nothing magical or special about that number compared with any other.

View attachment 11326
I appreciate you laying all of this out. For 9 weeks I've been taking 1mg/week, divided into 2 doses of 0.5mg, and the results have been great. 2 weeks ago I attempted a bump to 1.4mg, but the side effects hurt my gym performance and brought on fatigue I wasn't willing to accept, so I dropped back down and feel significantly better now.

That 4mg claim kept coming up, and since reaching or tolerating such a dose seems impossible for me, I wondered whether I was losing out on the glucagon advantages.

Some background: I'm female, 5'10.5", began at 162.4lb, and after 9 weeks on reta I'm at 138.8lb. I'm about to begin tapering down for maintenance (my reason for starting reta was perimenopausal weight gain).
What a small world! I don't believe our paths have crossed in person, but I know you from the low-carb scene, and I was also present at the COSCI during its inaugural year when Dave and his team held it in Vegas.

It's quite a curiosity that people like us—who generally steered clear of earlier-generation GLPs—have now become intrigued by retatrutide. For me, the whole glucagon-agonism angle simply felt like a richer subject to explore than the previous generation, though I can't quite put my finger on the exact reason. Reta appears to be pulling in the serious diet-and-nutrition tinkerer types, the ones who previously wanted nothing to do with GLPs. Looking back, that's rather strange, because most of us were perfectly willing to try unorthodox things that would send most people running. Yet even during the tirzepatide era we kept our distance, even though that was arguably the moment these drugs finally became good enough to be worth considering. Go figure!

Regarding your own experience, I have a hunch that the more insulin-sensitive a person is, the harder they'll find the early fatigue from reta (and this would hold true even at lower doses). My reasoning: if someone begins with a low fasting insulin level—which would also suggest a low baseline glucagon level—then when these medications start nudging hormones in ways that shift insulin and glucagon around, that shift will feel far more dramatic to them than it would to someone starting from a much higher fasting insulin level. When I began at 1mg, the fatigue was pretty crippling for several days before it settled into a level I could still function with. I don't have enough data to confirm or refute this, but it's an educated guess, and given your low-carb background, I assume you were metabolically healthy before starting reta.

I'll also mention that GLP-assisted weight loss has some odd characteristics—it seems to lean toward stripping more lean mass than diets typically do. That sounds alarming at first, but it appears to happen without major strength losses, provided the person stays active. I've caught myself wondering whether it might be something akin to autophagy. It would be interesting to know whether your weight loss has tracked with a substantial drop in body fat, whether your lifting strength has suffered, or what has stood out as unique for you. And I'd also be curious whether your diet has changed much from before reta to now.
Alright, that's a good one - I've been hanging around the keto/carnivore/low-carb/LMHR world on Twitter ever since my own keto story began back in 2016, which I started for epilepsy. So my hunch is I probably know who you are, at least in the online sense. The obvious reasons keep my reta experiment away from social media - the gray market peptide stigma being the main one, and I simply don't want the hassle. 😉

On the "shunning" of GLPs in that community, I'm with you - particularly given that keto by itself took 160lb off me. Reta ended up being the first one I got curious about, largely because sharp folks in "my circle" were researching it and even running experiments (Amber being one), and since I've never been the type to back away from a health experiment, I jumped in a bit more than two months ago.

As far as lifting goes, any strength drop I've had looks the same as what I get from any other kind of caloric restriction. Consuming enough calories to fuel my training has been the real obstacle with reta, especially since I love doing marathon-or-longer hikes on weekends. Once I bumped my dose to 1.4mg/week (0.7mg 2x weekly), my lifting stamina clearly fell off - it wasn't merely that the same weights felt harder, my sessions left me physically wiped out (on top of the daily fatigue that lingered). So when my Tuesday injection came last week, I dropped back to 1mg/week and my workouts have returned to normal.

What's interesting is that my sleep has stayed solid (sleep scores in the 90s on most nights), my RHR is still low to mid 40s (which is normal for me), my HRV is still balanced, and VO2 max is unchanged. The one thing I have noticed is a higher-than-usual HR spike during both lifting and hiking - not alarming, but reaching zone 5 is far easier than it used to be.

What has been most surprising, remarkably, is that my brain used to run nonstop 24/7 - not only food noise, but everything noise. Racing thoughts, health anxiety, catastrophizing, rumination…it never really shut off. And now? That background noise has almost vanished. For the first time in years my mind feels quiet, and I can actually focus. The constant anxiety and spiraling have dropped dramatically. This was genuinely not something I expected. The weight loss is great, but for me the mental peace has been miraculous. I knew reta shut off the "food noise" but never entertained the thought that it shut off the "everything" noise. I'm tempted to keep microdosing after my cut just for that benefit alone.

And my diet has not changed at all, aside from volume. I was LCHF from 2017-2019, then switched to LCHP to support muscle growth and have been there ever since. Usually average between 20-30g carbs per day.

I'd be curious to hear your take on the widespread idea that "reta needs carbs to work". It gets repeated all over Reddit (which admittedly doesn't give the theory much weight - r/retatrutide is a hot mess) but I'd love to learn more about the science behind it.

Really great to meet you - thanks for responding!
It's a coincidence you brought up Amber — she showed up in my feed not long ago, and I remember thinking "damn, she must have figured something out." As I recall, she presented at COSCI during the year I attended, and part of her talk covered her struggles with weight, which struck me as odd given how many people in the zero-carb sphere treat effortless weight management as a perk.

Beyond that, I'm not really involved in that world at the moment (though I still dip into some of the content now and then). Even so, I picked up a great deal there, and it did a lot to shape how I think about metabolism and nutrition. That said, with Ben putting out more GLP content and Nick talking about his recent reta experiment, I wouldn't be shocked if someone gives a reta presentation next year. Perhaps I'll stick my head back in. We'll see!

It would be nice if they dug into it more thoroughly, in my view, since I'd guess their framework for making sense of GLP-driven weight loss is far better than the mainstream approach, which barely scratches the surface. Good analysis is harder to come by than you'd think — or at least I've had trouble finding it — so I've ended up inferring quite a lot.

I can't claim to grasp why carbs would be "necessary" on reta. My hunch is that when metabolism speeds up, some aspects of hunger (not hunger as a whole) speed up alongside it, leaving people with a stronger psychological pull toward carbs. In the same way that a hard workout can leave someone hungrier afterward, and that heightened hunger drives them toward particular foods, I can picture something similar with reta — except most of the hunger signaling is gone, so only the "carb craving" piece makes it through. Still, this is pure speculation on my part. On top of that, blood sugar drops noticeably when someone first starts reta, which might also play into carb cravings.
 
tubby said:

octopusthorpe said:

tubby said:

octopusthorpe said:

tubby said:

Saw this crop up again today and thought a post that tackles the topic properly would be worth having. The usual claim is that reta behaves the same as tirzepatide under 4mg, or that the glucagon agonist only "kicks in" once you reach that level.

The 4mg figure is a myth kept alive by one person misreading a phase 1 trial. Participants in that trial got single reta doses and had various markers tracked afterwards. The 3mg arm was the lowest one where serum glucagon dropped meaningfully below its own baseline, and somewhere along the way that got rounded up to 4mg, because 3mg dosing never carried into the phase 2 work.





View attachment 11324

View attachment 11325

Why that reasoning does not hold up:

1: One 4mg hit lands at a peak that is roughly what a weekly 2mg routine produces (drugs accumulate over time). A weekly 4mg routine would instead swing from about 8mg total down to 4mg just before the next shot. Comparing one injection against a weekly schedule is not apples to apples.

2: Nothing says every individual will see glucagon drop at the same dose, because insulin and glucagon vary a lot between people (and baselines can run high in someone who is obese or diabetic). A person with less insulin resistance would probably hit that same result on lower reta dosing, whereas a more insulin resistant person would need a bigger dose before it shows. On top of that, the target keeps moving as treatment goes on, since insulin resistance itself changes too.

3: Serum glucagon on its own is not a standalone metric. Metabolism is governed by the ratio of insulin to glucagon. Any GLP already nudges baseline insulin up a little. So even before glucagon agonism enters the picture, the body will naturally push glucagon up in reply to a GLP. You can see exactly that in the same phase 1 trial, where glucagon rises on a very low reta dose. So reading "unchanged" glucagon at a low dose misses most of the story. The better reading is "balanced," because that is the point where the glucagon agonist is offsetting the GLP-1 RA’s tendency to raise glucagon. 4mg is merely where the glucagon agonist started to win.

Worth adding:

Worth pointing out as well that 99% of influencers have no clue what a shift in glucagon level even signifies. Lowering glucagon is not the aim with reta. A GLP-1 agonist can be read as counterfeit GLP-1, and in the same spirit the glucagon agonist in reta is "counterfeit glucagon." A lower reading for real glucagon in blood matters because it tells you the body has decided glucagon is running too high (it senses all that counterfeit glucagon) and is dialling back how much it makes. It means the body is both being "fooled" by the counterfeit glucagon and convinced that current glucagon levels are excessive.

The normal pattern is that glucagon climbs when you have gone several hours without food, then settles back after a carb-containing meal. A glucagon agonist overrides that and convinces the body the levels never come down. In practice this appears to keep metabolism elevated, and to drive other processes that overall look helpful for people with obesity and/or diabetes and that support weight loss, though I would not claim the precise biochemical reason for it is fully settled.

None of this means 4mg is a bad level or anything of the sort. It just means there is nothing magical or special about that number compared with any other.

View attachment 11326
I appreciate you laying all of this out. For 9 weeks I've been taking 1mg/week, divided into 2 doses of 0.5mg, and the results have been great. 2 weeks ago I attempted a bump to 1.4mg, but the side effects hurt my gym performance and brought on fatigue I wasn't willing to accept, so I dropped back down and feel significantly better now.

That 4mg claim kept coming up, and since reaching or tolerating such a dose seems impossible for me, I wondered whether I was losing out on the glucagon advantages.

Some background: I'm female, 5'10.5", began at 162.4lb, and after 9 weeks on reta I'm at 138.8lb. I'm about to begin tapering down for maintenance (my reason for starting reta was perimenopausal weight gain).
What a small world! I don't believe our paths have crossed in person, but I know you from the low-carb scene, and I was also present at the COSCI during its inaugural year when Dave and his team held it in Vegas.

It's quite a curiosity that people like us—who generally steered clear of earlier-generation GLPs—have now become intrigued by retatrutide. For me, the whole glucagon-agonism angle simply felt like a richer subject to explore than the previous generation, though I can't quite put my finger on the exact reason. Reta appears to be pulling in the serious diet-and-nutrition tinkerer types, the ones who previously wanted nothing to do with GLPs. Looking back, that's rather strange, because most of us were perfectly willing to try unorthodox things that would send most people running. Yet even during the tirzepatide era we kept our distance, even though that was arguably the moment these drugs finally became good enough to be worth considering. Go figure!

Regarding your own experience, I have a hunch that the more insulin-sensitive a person is, the harder they'll find the early fatigue from reta (and this would hold true even at lower doses). My reasoning: if someone begins with a low fasting insulin level—which would also suggest a low baseline glucagon level—then when these medications start nudging hormones in ways that shift insulin and glucagon around, that shift will feel far more dramatic to them than it would to someone starting from a much higher fasting insulin level. When I began at 1mg, the fatigue was pretty crippling for several days before it settled into a level I could still function with. I don't have enough data to confirm or refute this, but it's an educated guess, and given your low-carb background, I assume you were metabolically healthy before starting reta.

I'll also mention that GLP-assisted weight loss has some odd characteristics—it seems to lean toward stripping more lean mass than diets typically do. That sounds alarming at first, but it appears to happen without major strength losses, provided the person stays active. I've caught myself wondering whether it might be something akin to autophagy. It would be interesting to know whether your weight loss has tracked with a substantial drop in body fat, whether your lifting strength has suffered, or what has stood out as unique for you. And I'd also be curious whether your diet has changed much from before reta to now.
Alright, that's a good one - I've been hanging around the keto/carnivore/low-carb/LMHR world on Twitter ever since my own keto story began back in 2016, which I started for epilepsy. So my hunch is I probably know who you are, at least in the online sense. The obvious reasons keep my reta experiment away from social media - the gray market peptide stigma being the main one, and I simply don't want the hassle. 😉

On the "shunning" of GLPs in that community, I'm with you - particularly given that keto by itself took 160lb off me. Reta ended up being the first one I got curious about, largely because sharp folks in "my circle" were researching it and even running experiments (Amber being one), and since I've never been the type to back away from a health experiment, I jumped in a bit more than two months ago.

As far as lifting goes, any strength drop I've had looks the same as what I get from any other kind of caloric restriction. Consuming enough calories to fuel my training has been the real obstacle with reta, especially since I love doing marathon-or-longer hikes on weekends. Once I bumped my dose to 1.4mg/week (0.7mg 2x weekly), my lifting stamina clearly fell off - it wasn't merely that the same weights felt harder, my sessions left me physically wiped out (on top of the daily fatigue that lingered). So when my Tuesday injection came last week, I dropped back to 1mg/week and my workouts have returned to normal.

What's interesting is that my sleep has stayed solid (sleep scores in the 90s on most nights), my RHR is still low to mid 40s (which is normal for me), my HRV is still balanced, and VO2 max is unchanged. The one thing I have noticed is a higher-than-usual HR spike during both lifting and hiking - not alarming, but reaching zone 5 is far easier than it used to be.

What has been most surprising, remarkably, is that my brain used to run nonstop 24/7 - not only food noise, but everything noise. Racing thoughts, health anxiety, catastrophizing, rumination…it never really shut off. And now? That background noise has almost vanished. For the first time in years my mind feels quiet, and I can actually focus. The constant anxiety and spiraling have dropped dramatically. This was genuinely not something I expected. The weight loss is great, but for me the mental peace has been miraculous. I knew reta shut off the "food noise" but never entertained the thought that it shut off the "everything" noise. I'm tempted to keep microdosing after my cut just for that benefit alone.

And my diet has not changed at all, aside from volume. I was LCHF from 2017-2019, then switched to LCHP to support muscle growth and have been there ever since. Usually average between 20-30g carbs per day.

I'd be curious to hear your take on the widespread idea that "reta needs carbs to work". It gets repeated all over Reddit (which admittedly doesn't give the theory much weight - r/retatrutide is a hot mess) but I'd love to learn more about the science behind it.

Really great to meet you - thanks for responding!
It's a coincidence you brought up Amber — she showed up in my feed not long ago, and I remember thinking "damn, she must have figured something out." As I recall, she presented at COSCI during the year I attended, and part of her talk covered her struggles with weight, which struck me as odd given how many people in the zero-carb sphere treat effortless weight management as a perk.

Beyond that, I'm not really involved in that world at the moment (though I still dip into some of the content now and then). Even so, I picked up a great deal there, and it did a lot to shape how I think about metabolism and nutrition. That said, with Ben putting out more GLP content and Nick talking about his recent reta experiment, I wouldn't be shocked if someone gives a reta presentation next year. Perhaps I'll stick my head back in. We'll see!

It would be nice if they dug into it more thoroughly, in my view, since I'd guess their framework for making sense of GLP-driven weight loss is far better than the mainstream approach, which barely scratches the surface. Good analysis is harder to come by than you'd think — or at least I've had trouble finding it — so I've ended up inferring quite a lot.

I can't claim to grasp why carbs would be "necessary" on reta. My hunch is that when metabolism speeds up, some aspects of hunger (not hunger as a whole) speed up alongside it, leaving people with a stronger psychological pull toward carbs. In the same way that a hard workout can leave someone hungrier afterward, and that heightened hunger drives them toward particular foods, I can picture something similar with reta — except most of the hunger signaling is gone, so only the "carb craving" piece makes it through. Still, this is pure speculation on my part. On top of that, blood sugar drops noticeably when someone first starts reta, which might also play into carb cravings.
Are you talking about Ben Bikman? I haven't caught his latest discussions on GLPs (probably because I wasn't keeping up with him), so I'll need to check those out. And yeah, Nick is a real piece of work - like a hamster on speed 🤣 Watching him do podcasts with Dave is hilarious since their vibes are complete opposites.

Your take on the carb theory makes sense to me - after nearly a decade of low carb eating, my cravings were already naturally blunted before reta, and nothing shifted after starting it. Since blood sugar has never been an issue for me (mine sits around 80-90 mg/dl), I did worry reta might push it down further than I'd like, but that hasn't happened either. I keep a ketone meter at home that also checks BG, so I test every now and then. The one change I've seen is needing way more electrolytes than my usual low-carb amount.

It'll be fascinating to watch how these discussions develop in the metabolic world as GLPs, particularly reta, gain more mainstream attention. So far, tirz and reta appear to avoid the stigma that sema deals with.
 
octopusthorpe said:

tubby said:

octopusthorpe said:

tubby said:

octopusthorpe said:

tubby said:

Saw this crop up again today and thought a post that tackles the topic properly would be worth having. The usual claim is that reta behaves the same as tirzepatide under 4mg, or that the glucagon agonist only "kicks in" once you reach that level.

The 4mg figure is a myth kept alive by one person misreading a phase 1 trial. Participants in that trial got single reta doses and had various markers tracked afterwards. The 3mg arm was the lowest one where serum glucagon dropped meaningfully below its own baseline, and somewhere along the way that got rounded up to 4mg, because 3mg dosing never carried into the phase 2 work.





View attachment 11324

View attachment 11325

Why that reasoning does not hold up:

1: One 4mg hit lands at a peak that is roughly what a weekly 2mg routine produces (drugs accumulate over time). A weekly 4mg routine would instead swing from about 8mg total down to 4mg just before the next shot. Comparing one injection against a weekly schedule is not apples to apples.

2: Nothing says every individual will see glucagon drop at the same dose, because insulin and glucagon vary a lot between people (and baselines can run high in someone who is obese or diabetic). A person with less insulin resistance would probably hit that same result on lower reta dosing, whereas a more insulin resistant person would need a bigger dose before it shows. On top of that, the target keeps moving as treatment goes on, since insulin resistance itself changes too.

3: Serum glucagon on its own is not a standalone metric. Metabolism is governed by the ratio of insulin to glucagon. Any GLP already nudges baseline insulin up a little. So even before glucagon agonism enters the picture, the body will naturally push glucagon up in reply to a GLP. You can see exactly that in the same phase 1 trial, where glucagon rises on a very low reta dose. So reading "unchanged" glucagon at a low dose misses most of the story. The better reading is "balanced," because that is the point where the glucagon agonist is offsetting the GLP-1 RA’s tendency to raise glucagon. 4mg is merely where the glucagon agonist started to win.

Worth adding:

Worth pointing out as well that 99% of influencers have no clue what a shift in glucagon level even signifies. Lowering glucagon is not the aim with reta. A GLP-1 agonist can be read as counterfeit GLP-1, and in the same spirit the glucagon agonist in reta is "counterfeit glucagon." A lower reading for real glucagon in blood matters because it tells you the body has decided glucagon is running too high (it senses all that counterfeit glucagon) and is dialling back how much it makes. It means the body is both being "fooled" by the counterfeit glucagon and convinced that current glucagon levels are excessive.

The normal pattern is that glucagon climbs when you have gone several hours without food, then settles back after a carb-containing meal. A glucagon agonist overrides that and convinces the body the levels never come down. In practice this appears to keep metabolism elevated, and to drive other processes that overall look helpful for people with obesity and/or diabetes and that support weight loss, though I would not claim the precise biochemical reason for it is fully settled.

None of this means 4mg is a bad level or anything of the sort. It just means there is nothing magical or special about that number compared with any other.

View attachment 11326
I appreciate you laying all of this out. For 9 weeks I've been taking 1mg/week, divided into 2 doses of 0.5mg, and the results have been great. 2 weeks ago I attempted a bump to 1.4mg, but the side effects hurt my gym performance and brought on fatigue I wasn't willing to accept, so I dropped back down and feel significantly better now.

That 4mg claim kept coming up, and since reaching or tolerating such a dose seems impossible for me, I wondered whether I was losing out on the glucagon advantages.

Some background: I'm female, 5'10.5", began at 162.4lb, and after 9 weeks on reta I'm at 138.8lb. I'm about to begin tapering down for maintenance (my reason for starting reta was perimenopausal weight gain).
What a small world! I don't believe our paths have crossed in person, but I know you from the low-carb scene, and I was also present at the COSCI during its inaugural year when Dave and his team held it in Vegas.

It's quite a curiosity that people like us—who generally steered clear of earlier-generation GLPs—have now become intrigued by retatrutide. For me, the whole glucagon-agonism angle simply felt like a richer subject to explore than the previous generation, though I can't quite put my finger on the exact reason. Reta appears to be pulling in the serious diet-and-nutrition tinkerer types, the ones who previously wanted nothing to do with GLPs. Looking back, that's rather strange, because most of us were perfectly willing to try unorthodox things that would send most people running. Yet even during the tirzepatide era we kept our distance, even though that was arguably the moment these drugs finally became good enough to be worth considering. Go figure!

Regarding your own experience, I have a hunch that the more insulin-sensitive a person is, the harder they'll find the early fatigue from reta (and this would hold true even at lower doses). My reasoning: if someone begins with a low fasting insulin level—which would also suggest a low baseline glucagon level—then when these medications start nudging hormones in ways that shift insulin and glucagon around, that shift will feel far more dramatic to them than it would to someone starting from a much higher fasting insulin level. When I began at 1mg, the fatigue was pretty crippling for several days before it settled into a level I could still function with. I don't have enough data to confirm or refute this, but it's an educated guess, and given your low-carb background, I assume you were metabolically healthy before starting reta.

I'll also mention that GLP-assisted weight loss has some odd characteristics—it seems to lean toward stripping more lean mass than diets typically do. That sounds alarming at first, but it appears to happen without major strength losses, provided the person stays active. I've caught myself wondering whether it might be something akin to autophagy. It would be interesting to know whether your weight loss has tracked with a substantial drop in body fat, whether your lifting strength has suffered, or what has stood out as unique for you. And I'd also be curious whether your diet has changed much from before reta to now.
Alright, that's a good one - I've been hanging around the keto/carnivore/low-carb/LMHR world on Twitter ever since my own keto story began back in 2016, which I started for epilepsy. So my hunch is I probably know who you are, at least in the online sense. The obvious reasons keep my reta experiment away from social media - the gray market peptide stigma being the main one, and I simply don't want the hassle. 😉

On the "shunning" of GLPs in that community, I'm with you - particularly given that keto by itself took 160lb off me. Reta ended up being the first one I got curious about, largely because sharp folks in "my circle" were researching it and even running experiments (Amber being one), and since I've never been the type to back away from a health experiment, I jumped in a bit more than two months ago.

As far as lifting goes, any strength drop I've had looks the same as what I get from any other kind of caloric restriction. Consuming enough calories to fuel my training has been the real obstacle with reta, especially since I love doing marathon-or-longer hikes on weekends. Once I bumped my dose to 1.4mg/week (0.7mg 2x weekly), my lifting stamina clearly fell off - it wasn't merely that the same weights felt harder, my sessions left me physically wiped out (on top of the daily fatigue that lingered). So when my Tuesday injection came last week, I dropped back to 1mg/week and my workouts have returned to normal.

What's interesting is that my sleep has stayed solid (sleep scores in the 90s on most nights), my RHR is still low to mid 40s (which is normal for me), my HRV is still balanced, and VO2 max is unchanged. The one thing I have noticed is a higher-than-usual HR spike during both lifting and hiking - not alarming, but reaching zone 5 is far easier than it used to be.

What has been most surprising, remarkably, is that my brain used to run nonstop 24/7 - not only food noise, but everything noise. Racing thoughts, health anxiety, catastrophizing, rumination…it never really shut off. And now? That background noise has almost vanished. For the first time in years my mind feels quiet, and I can actually focus. The constant anxiety and spiraling have dropped dramatically. This was genuinely not something I expected. The weight loss is great, but for me the mental peace has been miraculous. I knew reta shut off the "food noise" but never entertained the thought that it shut off the "everything" noise. I'm tempted to keep microdosing after my cut just for that benefit alone.

And my diet has not changed at all, aside from volume. I was LCHF from 2017-2019, then switched to LCHP to support muscle growth and have been there ever since. Usually average between 20-30g carbs per day.

I'd be curious to hear your take on the widespread idea that "reta needs carbs to work". It gets repeated all over Reddit (which admittedly doesn't give the theory much weight - r/retatrutide is a hot mess) but I'd love to learn more about the science behind it.

Really great to meet you - thanks for responding!
It's a coincidence you brought up Amber — she showed up in my feed not long ago, and I remember thinking "damn, she must have figured something out." As I recall, she presented at COSCI during the year I attended, and part of her talk covered her struggles with weight, which struck me as odd given how many people in the zero-carb sphere treat effortless weight management as a perk.

Beyond that, I'm not really involved in that world at the moment (though I still dip into some of the content now and then). Even so, I picked up a great deal there, and it did a lot to shape how I think about metabolism and nutrition. That said, with Ben putting out more GLP content and Nick talking about his recent reta experiment, I wouldn't be shocked if someone gives a reta presentation next year. Perhaps I'll stick my head back in. We'll see!

It would be nice if they dug into it more thoroughly, in my view, since I'd guess their framework for making sense of GLP-driven weight loss is far better than the mainstream approach, which barely scratches the surface. Good analysis is harder to come by than you'd think — or at least I've had trouble finding it — so I've ended up inferring quite a lot.

I can't claim to grasp why carbs would be "necessary" on reta. My hunch is that when metabolism speeds up, some aspects of hunger (not hunger as a whole) speed up alongside it, leaving people with a stronger psychological pull toward carbs. In the same way that a hard workout can leave someone hungrier afterward, and that heightened hunger drives them toward particular foods, I can picture something similar with reta — except most of the hunger signaling is gone, so only the "carb craving" piece makes it through. Still, this is pure speculation on my part. On top of that, blood sugar drops noticeably when someone first starts reta, which might also play into carb cravings.
Are you talking about Ben Bikman? I haven't caught his latest discussions on GLPs (probably because I wasn't keeping up with him), so I'll need to check those out. And yeah, Nick is a real piece of work - like a hamster on speed 🤣 Watching him do podcasts with Dave is hilarious since their vibes are complete opposites.

Your take on the carb theory makes sense to me - after nearly a decade of low carb eating, my cravings were already naturally blunted before reta, and nothing shifted after starting it. Since blood sugar has never been an issue for me (mine sits around 80-90 mg/dl), I did worry reta might push it down further than I'd like, but that hasn't happened either. I keep a ketone meter at home that also checks BG, so I test every now and then. The one change I've seen is needing way more electrolytes than my usual low-carb amount.

It'll be fascinating to watch how these discussions develop in the metabolic world as GLPs, particularly reta, gain more mainstream attention. So far, tirz and reta appear to avoid the stigma that sema deals with.
Yeah, his more recent YouTube uploads on this topic are worth watching. Compared to most researchers who speak publicly in this area, I'd say he grasps the hormone side better, so his take brings something useful. At first he framed these drugs mainly as something to support someone in switching to low-carb eating (hardly surprising given where he's coming from) and as a short-term tool to carry someone across that transition. Sure, that's a legitimate use case, but it wasn't the most compelling angle. Lately though, he's shifted toward asking what's actually going on in the bodies of people using GLPs, and he put out a video not long ago explaining why framing things as "GLPs raise insulin" misses the point. Since that happens to line up with how I see it, I'm obviously going to give him credit for it. My sense is he's gone from a gut-level doubt about these compounds to genuine interest, and I'm curious where he'll take it next.

My own early blood glucose response matched that, and because I use a CGM I could actually track it. During month 1, sitting somewhere in the 50-70 mg/dL band between meals and overnight was pretty typical for me, roughly 20 to 30 mg/dL beneath where I'd been before starting. After that, it settled more into 65 to 80 mg/dL between meals and overnight. Fasted morning readings stayed above 100mg/dL in both periods. Early on, getting into ketosis while eating a mixed diet was much simpler. These days ketosis seems neither easier nor harder to reach than it was before GLPs, even though I weigh less now, which strikes me as odd. Usually when my weight falls, staying in ketosis gets simpler, and I figure that's because fasting insulin drops along with weight. Take one instance: back when low-carb eating (before GLPs) had brought me to a BMI of 27, I ran a test where I added modest potato portions at dinner to see how far I could push things and still be back in ketosis by morning. To my surprise, even at 150g of carbs (with plenty of fat included, naturally) I'd still wake up back in ketosis! That's a world away from when my BMI sits in the low 30s, where merely overshooting on protein (on a beef-heavy but very low-carb plan) could knock me out of ketosis. So in short, during the first month or two on reta, ketosis arrived easily at a BMI (low 30s) where that wouldn't normally happen. Now, at roughly BMI 29, reta doesn't appear to be pushing me toward ketosis the way it did at first. Given that, the glucose readings I saw fit together nicely: steady 50-60 mg/dL would point to a metabolism running heavily on fat/ketones, whereas where I am now suggests my metabolism leans more on glucose.

It'd be worth encouraging Amber to drop by here (maybe under a pseudonym), because with her background I bet she'd have genuinely interesting insights into the mechanisms underneath all this. A lot of people in this space are stuck in a "calories" frame of mind (which makes sense if someone hasn't really dug into the low-carb side of things), but unfortunately that also means a large share of the discussion here does little to illuminate the real mechanisms, balances, and tipping points that shape outcomes.
 
tubby said:

octopusthorpe said:

tubby said:

octopusthorpe said:

tubby said:

octopusthorpe said:

tubby said:

Saw this crop up again today and thought a post that tackles the topic properly would be worth having. The usual claim is that reta behaves the same as tirzepatide under 4mg, or that the glucagon agonist only "kicks in" once you reach that level.

The 4mg figure is a myth kept alive by one person misreading a phase 1 trial. Participants in that trial got single reta doses and had various markers tracked afterwards. The 3mg arm was the lowest one where serum glucagon dropped meaningfully below its own baseline, and somewhere along the way that got rounded up to 4mg, because 3mg dosing never carried into the phase 2 work.





View attachment 11324

View attachment 11325

Why that reasoning does not hold up:

1: One 4mg hit lands at a peak that is roughly what a weekly 2mg routine produces (drugs accumulate over time). A weekly 4mg routine would instead swing from about 8mg total down to 4mg just before the next shot. Comparing one injection against a weekly schedule is not apples to apples.

2: Nothing says every individual will see glucagon drop at the same dose, because insulin and glucagon vary a lot between people (and baselines can run high in someone who is obese or diabetic). A person with less insulin resistance would probably hit that same result on lower reta dosing, whereas a more insulin resistant person would need a bigger dose before it shows. On top of that, the target keeps moving as treatment goes on, since insulin resistance itself changes too.

3: Serum glucagon on its own is not a standalone metric. Metabolism is governed by the ratio of insulin to glucagon. Any GLP already nudges baseline insulin up a little. So even before glucagon agonism enters the picture, the body will naturally push glucagon up in reply to a GLP. You can see exactly that in the same phase 1 trial, where glucagon rises on a very low reta dose. So reading "unchanged" glucagon at a low dose misses most of the story. The better reading is "balanced," because that is the point where the glucagon agonist is offsetting the GLP-1 RA’s tendency to raise glucagon. 4mg is merely where the glucagon agonist started to win.

Worth adding:

Worth pointing out as well that 99% of influencers have no clue what a shift in glucagon level even signifies. Lowering glucagon is not the aim with reta. A GLP-1 agonist can be read as counterfeit GLP-1, and in the same spirit the glucagon agonist in reta is "counterfeit glucagon." A lower reading for real glucagon in blood matters because it tells you the body has decided glucagon is running too high (it senses all that counterfeit glucagon) and is dialling back how much it makes. It means the body is both being "fooled" by the counterfeit glucagon and convinced that current glucagon levels are excessive.

The normal pattern is that glucagon climbs when you have gone several hours without food, then settles back after a carb-containing meal. A glucagon agonist overrides that and convinces the body the levels never come down. In practice this appears to keep metabolism elevated, and to drive other processes that overall look helpful for people with obesity and/or diabetes and that support weight loss, though I would not claim the precise biochemical reason for it is fully settled.

None of this means 4mg is a bad level or anything of the sort. It just means there is nothing magical or special about that number compared with any other.

View attachment 11326
I appreciate you laying all of this out. For 9 weeks I've been taking 1mg/week, divided into 2 doses of 0.5mg, and the results have been great. 2 weeks ago I attempted a bump to 1.4mg, but the side effects hurt my gym performance and brought on fatigue I wasn't willing to accept, so I dropped back down and feel significantly better now.

That 4mg claim kept coming up, and since reaching or tolerating such a dose seems impossible for me, I wondered whether I was losing out on the glucagon advantages.

Some background: I'm female, 5'10.5", began at 162.4lb, and after 9 weeks on reta I'm at 138.8lb. I'm about to begin tapering down for maintenance (my reason for starting reta was perimenopausal weight gain).
What a small world! I don't believe our paths have crossed in person, but I know you from the low-carb scene, and I was also present at the COSCI during its inaugural year when Dave and his team held it in Vegas.

It's quite a curiosity that people like us—who generally steered clear of earlier-generation GLPs—have now become intrigued by retatrutide. For me, the whole glucagon-agonism angle simply felt like a richer subject to explore than the previous generation, though I can't quite put my finger on the exact reason. Reta appears to be pulling in the serious diet-and-nutrition tinkerer types, the ones who previously wanted nothing to do with GLPs. Looking back, that's rather strange, because most of us were perfectly willing to try unorthodox things that would send most people running. Yet even during the tirzepatide era we kept our distance, even though that was arguably the moment these drugs finally became good enough to be worth considering. Go figure!

Regarding your own experience, I have a hunch that the more insulin-sensitive a person is, the harder they'll find the early fatigue from reta (and this would hold true even at lower doses). My reasoning: if someone begins with a low fasting insulin level—which would also suggest a low baseline glucagon level—then when these medications start nudging hormones in ways that shift insulin and glucagon around, that shift will feel far more dramatic to them than it would to someone starting from a much higher fasting insulin level. When I began at 1mg, the fatigue was pretty crippling for several days before it settled into a level I could still function with. I don't have enough data to confirm or refute this, but it's an educated guess, and given your low-carb background, I assume you were metabolically healthy before starting reta.

I'll also mention that GLP-assisted weight loss has some odd characteristics—it seems to lean toward stripping more lean mass than diets typically do. That sounds alarming at first, but it appears to happen without major strength losses, provided the person stays active. I've caught myself wondering whether it might be something akin to autophagy. It would be interesting to know whether your weight loss has tracked with a substantial drop in body fat, whether your lifting strength has suffered, or what has stood out as unique for you. And I'd also be curious whether your diet has changed much from before reta to now.
Alright, that's a good one - I've been hanging around the keto/carnivore/low-carb/LMHR world on Twitter ever since my own keto story began back in 2016, which I started for epilepsy. So my hunch is I probably know who you are, at least in the online sense. The obvious reasons keep my reta experiment away from social media - the gray market peptide stigma being the main one, and I simply don't want the hassle. 😉

On the "shunning" of GLPs in that community, I'm with you - particularly given that keto by itself took 160lb off me. Reta ended up being the first one I got curious about, largely because sharp folks in "my circle" were researching it and even running experiments (Amber being one), and since I've never been the type to back away from a health experiment, I jumped in a bit more than two months ago.

As far as lifting goes, any strength drop I've had looks the same as what I get from any other kind of caloric restriction. Consuming enough calories to fuel my training has been the real obstacle with reta, especially since I love doing marathon-or-longer hikes on weekends. Once I bumped my dose to 1.4mg/week (0.7mg 2x weekly), my lifting stamina clearly fell off - it wasn't merely that the same weights felt harder, my sessions left me physically wiped out (on top of the daily fatigue that lingered). So when my Tuesday injection came last week, I dropped back to 1mg/week and my workouts have returned to normal.

What's interesting is that my sleep has stayed solid (sleep scores in the 90s on most nights), my RHR is still low to mid 40s (which is normal for me), my HRV is still balanced, and VO2 max is unchanged. The one thing I have noticed is a higher-than-usual HR spike during both lifting and hiking - not alarming, but reaching zone 5 is far easier than it used to be.

What has been most surprising, remarkably, is that my brain used to run nonstop 24/7 - not only food noise, but everything noise. Racing thoughts, health anxiety, catastrophizing, rumination…it never really shut off. And now? That background noise has almost vanished. For the first time in years my mind feels quiet, and I can actually focus. The constant anxiety and spiraling have dropped dramatically. This was genuinely not something I expected. The weight loss is great, but for me the mental peace has been miraculous. I knew reta shut off the "food noise" but never entertained the thought that it shut off the "everything" noise. I'm tempted to keep microdosing after my cut just for that benefit alone.

And my diet has not changed at all, aside from volume. I was LCHF from 2017-2019, then switched to LCHP to support muscle growth and have been there ever since. Usually average between 20-30g carbs per day.

I'd be curious to hear your take on the widespread idea that "reta needs carbs to work". It gets repeated all over Reddit (which admittedly doesn't give the theory much weight - r/retatrutide is a hot mess) but I'd love to learn more about the science behind it.

Really great to meet you - thanks for responding!
It's a coincidence you brought up Amber — she showed up in my feed not long ago, and I remember thinking "damn, she must have figured something out." As I recall, she presented at COSCI during the year I attended, and part of her talk covered her struggles with weight, which struck me as odd given how many people in the zero-carb sphere treat effortless weight management as a perk.

Beyond that, I'm not really involved in that world at the moment (though I still dip into some of the content now and then). Even so, I picked up a great deal there, and it did a lot to shape how I think about metabolism and nutrition. That said, with Ben putting out more GLP content and Nick talking about his recent reta experiment, I wouldn't be shocked if someone gives a reta presentation next year. Perhaps I'll stick my head back in. We'll see!

It would be nice if they dug into it more thoroughly, in my view, since I'd guess their framework for making sense of GLP-driven weight loss is far better than the mainstream approach, which barely scratches the surface. Good analysis is harder to come by than you'd think — or at least I've had trouble finding it — so I've ended up inferring quite a lot.

I can't claim to grasp why carbs would be "necessary" on reta. My hunch is that when metabolism speeds up, some aspects of hunger (not hunger as a whole) speed up alongside it, leaving people with a stronger psychological pull toward carbs. In the same way that a hard workout can leave someone hungrier afterward, and that heightened hunger drives them toward particular foods, I can picture something similar with reta — except most of the hunger signaling is gone, so only the "carb craving" piece makes it through. Still, this is pure speculation on my part. On top of that, blood sugar drops noticeably when someone first starts reta, which might also play into carb cravings.
Are you talking about Ben Bikman? I haven't caught his latest discussions on GLPs (probably because I wasn't keeping up with him), so I'll need to check those out. And yeah, Nick is a real piece of work - like a hamster on speed 🤣 Watching him do podcasts with Dave is hilarious since their vibes are complete opposites.

Your take on the carb theory makes sense to me - after nearly a decade of low carb eating, my cravings were already naturally blunted before reta, and nothing shifted after starting it. Since blood sugar has never been an issue for me (mine sits around 80-90 mg/dl), I did worry reta might push it down further than I'd like, but that hasn't happened either. I keep a ketone meter at home that also checks BG, so I test every now and then. The one change I've seen is needing way more electrolytes than my usual low-carb amount.

It'll be fascinating to watch how these discussions develop in the metabolic world as GLPs, particularly reta, gain more mainstream attention. So far, tirz and reta appear to avoid the stigma that sema deals with.
Yeah, his more recent YouTube uploads on this topic are worth watching. Compared to most researchers who speak publicly in this area, I'd say he grasps the hormone side better, so his take brings something useful. At first he framed these drugs mainly as something to support someone in switching to low-carb eating (hardly surprising given where he's coming from) and as a short-term tool to carry someone across that transition. Sure, that's a legitimate use case, but it wasn't the most compelling angle. Lately though, he's shifted toward asking what's actually going on in the bodies of people using GLPs, and he put out a video not long ago explaining why framing things as "GLPs raise insulin" misses the point. Since that happens to line up with how I see it, I'm obviously going to give him credit for it. My sense is he's gone from a gut-level doubt about these compounds to genuine interest, and I'm curious where he'll take it next.

My own early blood glucose response matched that, and because I use a CGM I could actually track it. During month 1, sitting somewhere in the 50-70 mg/dL band between meals and overnight was pretty typical for me, roughly 20 to 30 mg/dL beneath where I'd been before starting. After that, it settled more into 65 to 80 mg/dL between meals and overnight. Fasted morning readings stayed above 100mg/dL in both periods. Early on, getting into ketosis while eating a mixed diet was much simpler. These days ketosis seems neither easier nor harder to reach than it was before GLPs, even though I weigh less now, which strikes me as odd. Usually when my weight falls, staying in ketosis gets simpler, and I figure that's because fasting insulin drops along with weight. Take one instance: back when low-carb eating (before GLPs) had brought me to a BMI of 27, I ran a test where I added modest potato portions at dinner to see how far I could push things and still be back in ketosis by morning. To my surprise, even at 150g of carbs (with plenty of fat included, naturally) I'd still wake up back in ketosis! That's a world away from when my BMI sits in the low 30s, where merely overshooting on protein (on a beef-heavy but very low-carb plan) could knock me out of ketosis. So in short, during the first month or two on reta, ketosis arrived easily at a BMI (low 30s) where that wouldn't normally happen. Now, at roughly BMI 29, reta doesn't appear to be pushing me toward ketosis the way it did at first. Given that, the glucose readings I saw fit together nicely: steady 50-60 mg/dL would point to a metabolism running heavily on fat/ketones, whereas where I am now suggests my metabolism leans more on glucose.

It'd be worth encouraging Amber to drop by here (maybe under a pseudonym), because with her background I bet she'd have genuinely interesting insights into the mechanisms underneath all this. A lot of people in this space are stuck in a "calories" frame of mind (which makes sense if someone hasn't really dug into the low-carb side of things), but unfortunately that also means a large share of the discussion here does little to illuminate the real mechanisms, balances, and tipping points that shape outcomes.
Amber and I know each other offline, so I could send her a message about this. She has attempted to talk about reta and metabolic effects on Reddit, but given the nature of Reddit, the replies were exactly what you'd expect and did nothing to move the discussion forward.

What you've noticed about ketosis is intriguing. Since I've followed LCHP for multiple years, my ketones typically sit around 0.3-0.5 mmol (unlike when doing LCHF, where I'd reach 3.0, though that made sense while I was actively shedding a lot of bodyfat). During my first 3 weeks on reta, my ketones climbed to 1.2 mmol, but they've since returned to my usual LCHP baseline. That said, I'm currently at 15.4% BF and 19.9% BMI with 113lb lean mass, so there's not much fat left to burn. That's why I'm moving toward a microdosing titration plan for the OCD relief I've gotten.

Still, I'm with you that Amber would add a lot to this conversation. She's the most grounded and analytical person I know, and her mind can be pretty intimidating at times 🙂
 
octopusthorpe said:

tubby said:

octopusthorpe said:

tubby said:

octopusthorpe said:

tubby said:

octopusthorpe said:

tubby said:

Saw this crop up again today and thought a post that tackles the topic properly would be worth having. The usual claim is that reta behaves the same as tirzepatide under 4mg, or that the glucagon agonist only "kicks in" once you reach that level.

The 4mg figure is a myth kept alive by one person misreading a phase 1 trial. Participants in that trial got single reta doses and had various markers tracked afterwards. The 3mg arm was the lowest one where serum glucagon dropped meaningfully below its own baseline, and somewhere along the way that got rounded up to 4mg, because 3mg dosing never carried into the phase 2 work.





View attachment 11324

View attachment 11325

Why that reasoning does not hold up:

1: One 4mg hit lands at a peak that is roughly what a weekly 2mg routine produces (drugs accumulate over time). A weekly 4mg routine would instead swing from about 8mg total down to 4mg just before the next shot. Comparing one injection against a weekly schedule is not apples to apples.

2: Nothing says every individual will see glucagon drop at the same dose, because insulin and glucagon vary a lot between people (and baselines can run high in someone who is obese or diabetic). A person with less insulin resistance would probably hit that same result on lower reta dosing, whereas a more insulin resistant person would need a bigger dose before it shows. On top of that, the target keeps moving as treatment goes on, since insulin resistance itself changes too.

3: Serum glucagon on its own is not a standalone metric. Metabolism is governed by the ratio of insulin to glucagon. Any GLP already nudges baseline insulin up a little. So even before glucagon agonism enters the picture, the body will naturally push glucagon up in reply to a GLP. You can see exactly that in the same phase 1 trial, where glucagon rises on a very low reta dose. So reading "unchanged" glucagon at a low dose misses most of the story. The better reading is "balanced," because that is the point where the glucagon agonist is offsetting the GLP-1 RA’s tendency to raise glucagon. 4mg is merely where the glucagon agonist started to win.

Worth adding:

Worth pointing out as well that 99% of influencers have no clue what a shift in glucagon level even signifies. Lowering glucagon is not the aim with reta. A GLP-1 agonist can be read as counterfeit GLP-1, and in the same spirit the glucagon agonist in reta is "counterfeit glucagon." A lower reading for real glucagon in blood matters because it tells you the body has decided glucagon is running too high (it senses all that counterfeit glucagon) and is dialling back how much it makes. It means the body is both being "fooled" by the counterfeit glucagon and convinced that current glucagon levels are excessive.

The normal pattern is that glucagon climbs when you have gone several hours without food, then settles back after a carb-containing meal. A glucagon agonist overrides that and convinces the body the levels never come down. In practice this appears to keep metabolism elevated, and to drive other processes that overall look helpful for people with obesity and/or diabetes and that support weight loss, though I would not claim the precise biochemical reason for it is fully settled.

None of this means 4mg is a bad level or anything of the sort. It just means there is nothing magical or special about that number compared with any other.

View attachment 11326
I appreciate you laying all of this out. For 9 weeks I've been taking 1mg/week, divided into 2 doses of 0.5mg, and the results have been great. 2 weeks ago I attempted a bump to 1.4mg, but the side effects hurt my gym performance and brought on fatigue I wasn't willing to accept, so I dropped back down and feel significantly better now.

That 4mg claim kept coming up, and since reaching or tolerating such a dose seems impossible for me, I wondered whether I was losing out on the glucagon advantages.

Some background: I'm female, 5'10.5", began at 162.4lb, and after 9 weeks on reta I'm at 138.8lb. I'm about to begin tapering down for maintenance (my reason for starting reta was perimenopausal weight gain).
What a small world! I don't believe our paths have crossed in person, but I know you from the low-carb scene, and I was also present at the COSCI during its inaugural year when Dave and his team held it in Vegas.

It's quite a curiosity that people like us—who generally steered clear of earlier-generation GLPs—have now become intrigued by retatrutide. For me, the whole glucagon-agonism angle simply felt like a richer subject to explore than the previous generation, though I can't quite put my finger on the exact reason. Reta appears to be pulling in the serious diet-and-nutrition tinkerer types, the ones who previously wanted nothing to do with GLPs. Looking back, that's rather strange, because most of us were perfectly willing to try unorthodox things that would send most people running. Yet even during the tirzepatide era we kept our distance, even though that was arguably the moment these drugs finally became good enough to be worth considering. Go figure!

Regarding your own experience, I have a hunch that the more insulin-sensitive a person is, the harder they'll find the early fatigue from reta (and this would hold true even at lower doses). My reasoning: if someone begins with a low fasting insulin level—which would also suggest a low baseline glucagon level—then when these medications start nudging hormones in ways that shift insulin and glucagon around, that shift will feel far more dramatic to them than it would to someone starting from a much higher fasting insulin level. When I began at 1mg, the fatigue was pretty crippling for several days before it settled into a level I could still function with. I don't have enough data to confirm or refute this, but it's an educated guess, and given your low-carb background, I assume you were metabolically healthy before starting reta.

I'll also mention that GLP-assisted weight loss has some odd characteristics—it seems to lean toward stripping more lean mass than diets typically do. That sounds alarming at first, but it appears to happen without major strength losses, provided the person stays active. I've caught myself wondering whether it might be something akin to autophagy. It would be interesting to know whether your weight loss has tracked with a substantial drop in body fat, whether your lifting strength has suffered, or what has stood out as unique for you. And I'd also be curious whether your diet has changed much from before reta to now.
Alright, that's a good one - I've been hanging around the keto/carnivore/low-carb/LMHR world on Twitter ever since my own keto story began back in 2016, which I started for epilepsy. So my hunch is I probably know who you are, at least in the online sense. The obvious reasons keep my reta experiment away from social media - the gray market peptide stigma being the main one, and I simply don't want the hassle. 😉

On the "shunning" of GLPs in that community, I'm with you - particularly given that keto by itself took 160lb off me. Reta ended up being the first one I got curious about, largely because sharp folks in "my circle" were researching it and even running experiments (Amber being one), and since I've never been the type to back away from a health experiment, I jumped in a bit more than two months ago.

As far as lifting goes, any strength drop I've had looks the same as what I get from any other kind of caloric restriction. Consuming enough calories to fuel my training has been the real obstacle with reta, especially since I love doing marathon-or-longer hikes on weekends. Once I bumped my dose to 1.4mg/week (0.7mg 2x weekly), my lifting stamina clearly fell off - it wasn't merely that the same weights felt harder, my sessions left me physically wiped out (on top of the daily fatigue that lingered). So when my Tuesday injection came last week, I dropped back to 1mg/week and my workouts have returned to normal.

What's interesting is that my sleep has stayed solid (sleep scores in the 90s on most nights), my RHR is still low to mid 40s (which is normal for me), my HRV is still balanced, and VO2 max is unchanged. The one thing I have noticed is a higher-than-usual HR spike during both lifting and hiking - not alarming, but reaching zone 5 is far easier than it used to be.

What has been most surprising, remarkably, is that my brain used to run nonstop 24/7 - not only food noise, but everything noise. Racing thoughts, health anxiety, catastrophizing, rumination…it never really shut off. And now? That background noise has almost vanished. For the first time in years my mind feels quiet, and I can actually focus. The constant anxiety and spiraling have dropped dramatically. This was genuinely not something I expected. The weight loss is great, but for me the mental peace has been miraculous. I knew reta shut off the "food noise" but never entertained the thought that it shut off the "everything" noise. I'm tempted to keep microdosing after my cut just for that benefit alone.

And my diet has not changed at all, aside from volume. I was LCHF from 2017-2019, then switched to LCHP to support muscle growth and have been there ever since. Usually average between 20-30g carbs per day.

I'd be curious to hear your take on the widespread idea that "reta needs carbs to work". It gets repeated all over Reddit (which admittedly doesn't give the theory much weight - r/retatrutide is a hot mess) but I'd love to learn more about the science behind it.

Really great to meet you - thanks for responding!
It's a coincidence you brought up Amber — she showed up in my feed not long ago, and I remember thinking "damn, she must have figured something out." As I recall, she presented at COSCI during the year I attended, and part of her talk covered her struggles with weight, which struck me as odd given how many people in the zero-carb sphere treat effortless weight management as a perk.

Beyond that, I'm not really involved in that world at the moment (though I still dip into some of the content now and then). Even so, I picked up a great deal there, and it did a lot to shape how I think about metabolism and nutrition. That said, with Ben putting out more GLP content and Nick talking about his recent reta experiment, I wouldn't be shocked if someone gives a reta presentation next year. Perhaps I'll stick my head back in. We'll see!

It would be nice if they dug into it more thoroughly, in my view, since I'd guess their framework for making sense of GLP-driven weight loss is far better than the mainstream approach, which barely scratches the surface. Good analysis is harder to come by than you'd think — or at least I've had trouble finding it — so I've ended up inferring quite a lot.

I can't claim to grasp why carbs would be "necessary" on reta. My hunch is that when metabolism speeds up, some aspects of hunger (not hunger as a whole) speed up alongside it, leaving people with a stronger psychological pull toward carbs. In the same way that a hard workout can leave someone hungrier afterward, and that heightened hunger drives them toward particular foods, I can picture something similar with reta — except most of the hunger signaling is gone, so only the "carb craving" piece makes it through. Still, this is pure speculation on my part. On top of that, blood sugar drops noticeably when someone first starts reta, which might also play into carb cravings.
Are you talking about Ben Bikman? I haven't caught his latest discussions on GLPs (probably because I wasn't keeping up with him), so I'll need to check those out. And yeah, Nick is a real piece of work - like a hamster on speed 🤣 Watching him do podcasts with Dave is hilarious since their vibes are complete opposites.

Your take on the carb theory makes sense to me - after nearly a decade of low carb eating, my cravings were already naturally blunted before reta, and nothing shifted after starting it. Since blood sugar has never been an issue for me (mine sits around 80-90 mg/dl), I did worry reta might push it down further than I'd like, but that hasn't happened either. I keep a ketone meter at home that also checks BG, so I test every now and then. The one change I've seen is needing way more electrolytes than my usual low-carb amount.

It'll be fascinating to watch how these discussions develop in the metabolic world as GLPs, particularly reta, gain more mainstream attention. So far, tirz and reta appear to avoid the stigma that sema deals with.
Yeah, his more recent YouTube uploads on this topic are worth watching. Compared to most researchers who speak publicly in this area, I'd say he grasps the hormone side better, so his take brings something useful. At first he framed these drugs mainly as something to support someone in switching to low-carb eating (hardly surprising given where he's coming from) and as a short-term tool to carry someone across that transition. Sure, that's a legitimate use case, but it wasn't the most compelling angle. Lately though, he's shifted toward asking what's actually going on in the bodies of people using GLPs, and he put out a video not long ago explaining why framing things as "GLPs raise insulin" misses the point. Since that happens to line up with how I see it, I'm obviously going to give him credit for it. My sense is he's gone from a gut-level doubt about these compounds to genuine interest, and I'm curious where he'll take it next.

My own early blood glucose response matched that, and because I use a CGM I could actually track it. During month 1, sitting somewhere in the 50-70 mg/dL band between meals and overnight was pretty typical for me, roughly 20 to 30 mg/dL beneath where I'd been before starting. After that, it settled more into 65 to 80 mg/dL between meals and overnight. Fasted morning readings stayed above 100mg/dL in both periods. Early on, getting into ketosis while eating a mixed diet was much simpler. These days ketosis seems neither easier nor harder to reach than it was before GLPs, even though I weigh less now, which strikes me as odd. Usually when my weight falls, staying in ketosis gets simpler, and I figure that's because fasting insulin drops along with weight. Take one instance: back when low-carb eating (before GLPs) had brought me to a BMI of 27, I ran a test where I added modest potato portions at dinner to see how far I could push things and still be back in ketosis by morning. To my surprise, even at 150g of carbs (with plenty of fat included, naturally) I'd still wake up back in ketosis! That's a world away from when my BMI sits in the low 30s, where merely overshooting on protein (on a beef-heavy but very low-carb plan) could knock me out of ketosis. So in short, during the first month or two on reta, ketosis arrived easily at a BMI (low 30s) where that wouldn't normally happen. Now, at roughly BMI 29, reta doesn't appear to be pushing me toward ketosis the way it did at first. Given that, the glucose readings I saw fit together nicely: steady 50-60 mg/dL would point to a metabolism running heavily on fat/ketones, whereas where I am now suggests my metabolism leans more on glucose.

It'd be worth encouraging Amber to drop by here (maybe under a pseudonym), because with her background I bet she'd have genuinely interesting insights into the mechanisms underneath all this. A lot of people in this space are stuck in a "calories" frame of mind (which makes sense if someone hasn't really dug into the low-carb side of things), but unfortunately that also means a large share of the discussion here does little to illuminate the real mechanisms, balances, and tipping points that shape outcomes.
Amber and I know each other offline, so I could send her a message about this. She has attempted to talk about reta and metabolic effects on Reddit, but given the nature of Reddit, the replies were exactly what you'd expect and did nothing to move the discussion forward.

What you've noticed about ketosis is intriguing. Since I've followed LCHP for multiple years, my ketones typically sit around 0.3-0.5 mmol (unlike when doing LCHF, where I'd reach 3.0, though that made sense while I was actively shedding a lot of bodyfat). During my first 3 weeks on reta, my ketones climbed to 1.2 mmol, but they've since returned to my usual LCHP baseline. That said, I'm currently at 15.4% BF and 19.9% BMI with 113lb lean mass, so there's not much fat left to burn. That's why I'm moving toward a microdosing titration plan for the OCD relief I've gotten.

Still, I'm with you that Amber would add a lot to this conversation. She's the most grounded and analytical person I know, and her mind can be pretty intimidating at times 🙂
Over on Reddit, a handful of subreddits can occasionally host real discussion, though I'd say locating them isn't easy. I rarely check in anymore, but /r/saturatedfat was one I enjoyed back in the day. Originally it centered on Brad Marshall's (fire in a bottle) ideas, beginning with what got nicknamed the croissant diet (at bottom a stearic acid maximization approach, though far more subtlety was involved than that label suggests). My sense is that angle has mostly been dropped (even so, the research behind it and the thinking that grew out of it were genuinely fascinating). More recently, HCLPLF has gotten a lot of attention there, yet the actual draw is that the crowd has mostly experimented across many "fringe" dietary camps, so rather than a single-diet echo chamber full of zealots, you get a wide spread of perspectives exchanged with a fair amount of respect. There's some irony, too, in a community that began by maximizing saturated fat drifting toward a preference for high-carb eating. That irony fades somewhat once you look past the surface and recognize that going high-carb is likely the surest route to keeping PUFA fat stores low (while keeping saturated fat stores high) in the body.

Good to hear your ketone and reta experience lined up with mine. I'm curious what will happen once my BMI is back at 27 on reta, and whether ketosis will throw any surprises at me then. My hunch is that at lower BMIs, reta could actually make entering ketosis more difficult: the idea being that you're essentially making your body handle a bigger glucagon load (even if that glucagon is fake), and the only way to manage it would be more insulin, which in principle ought to make ketosis "harder." If that held up, reta would end up less effective than tirz past some BMI threshold (a tipping point, so to speak), since the glucagon agonist would then be working against you. But the fact that reta produces notably greater average weight loss than tirz (at matched dosing) seems to contradict my hunch.... unless it turns out that few people ever get light enough to hit that tipping point, or that other metabolic forces take over and cancel my hunch out (quite possible).
 
tubby said:

octopusthorpe said:

tubby said:

octopusthorpe said:

tubby said:

octopusthorpe said:

tubby said:

octopusthorpe said:

tubby said:

Saw this crop up again today and thought a post that tackles the topic properly would be worth having. The usual claim is that reta behaves the same as tirzepatide under 4mg, or that the glucagon agonist only "kicks in" once you reach that level.

The 4mg figure is a myth kept alive by one person misreading a phase 1 trial. Participants in that trial got single reta doses and had various markers tracked afterwards. The 3mg arm was the lowest one where serum glucagon dropped meaningfully below its own baseline, and somewhere along the way that got rounded up to 4mg, because 3mg dosing never carried into the phase 2 work.





View attachment 11324

View attachment 11325

Why that reasoning does not hold up:

1: One 4mg hit lands at a peak that is roughly what a weekly 2mg routine produces (drugs accumulate over time). A weekly 4mg routine would instead swing from about 8mg total down to 4mg just before the next shot. Comparing one injection against a weekly schedule is not apples to apples.

2: Nothing says every individual will see glucagon drop at the same dose, because insulin and glucagon vary a lot between people (and baselines can run high in someone who is obese or diabetic). A person with less insulin resistance would probably hit that same result on lower reta dosing, whereas a more insulin resistant person would need a bigger dose before it shows. On top of that, the target keeps moving as treatment goes on, since insulin resistance itself changes too.

3: Serum glucagon on its own is not a standalone metric. Metabolism is governed by the ratio of insulin to glucagon. Any GLP already nudges baseline insulin up a little. So even before glucagon agonism enters the picture, the body will naturally push glucagon up in reply to a GLP. You can see exactly that in the same phase 1 trial, where glucagon rises on a very low reta dose. So reading "unchanged" glucagon at a low dose misses most of the story. The better reading is "balanced," because that is the point where the glucagon agonist is offsetting the GLP-1 RA’s tendency to raise glucagon. 4mg is merely where the glucagon agonist started to win.

Worth adding:

Worth pointing out as well that 99% of influencers have no clue what a shift in glucagon level even signifies. Lowering glucagon is not the aim with reta. A GLP-1 agonist can be read as counterfeit GLP-1, and in the same spirit the glucagon agonist in reta is "counterfeit glucagon." A lower reading for real glucagon in blood matters because it tells you the body has decided glucagon is running too high (it senses all that counterfeit glucagon) and is dialling back how much it makes. It means the body is both being "fooled" by the counterfeit glucagon and convinced that current glucagon levels are excessive.

The normal pattern is that glucagon climbs when you have gone several hours without food, then settles back after a carb-containing meal. A glucagon agonist overrides that and convinces the body the levels never come down. In practice this appears to keep metabolism elevated, and to drive other processes that overall look helpful for people with obesity and/or diabetes and that support weight loss, though I would not claim the precise biochemical reason for it is fully settled.

None of this means 4mg is a bad level or anything of the sort. It just means there is nothing magical or special about that number compared with any other.

View attachment 11326
I appreciate you laying all of this out. For 9 weeks I've been taking 1mg/week, divided into 2 doses of 0.5mg, and the results have been great. 2 weeks ago I attempted a bump to 1.4mg, but the side effects hurt my gym performance and brought on fatigue I wasn't willing to accept, so I dropped back down and feel significantly better now.

That 4mg claim kept coming up, and since reaching or tolerating such a dose seems impossible for me, I wondered whether I was losing out on the glucagon advantages.

Some background: I'm female, 5'10.5", began at 162.4lb, and after 9 weeks on reta I'm at 138.8lb. I'm about to begin tapering down for maintenance (my reason for starting reta was perimenopausal weight gain).
What a small world! I don't believe our paths have crossed in person, but I know you from the low-carb scene, and I was also present at the COSCI during its inaugural year when Dave and his team held it in Vegas.

It's quite a curiosity that people like us—who generally steered clear of earlier-generation GLPs—have now become intrigued by retatrutide. For me, the whole glucagon-agonism angle simply felt like a richer subject to explore than the previous generation, though I can't quite put my finger on the exact reason. Reta appears to be pulling in the serious diet-and-nutrition tinkerer types, the ones who previously wanted nothing to do with GLPs. Looking back, that's rather strange, because most of us were perfectly willing to try unorthodox things that would send most people running. Yet even during the tirzepatide era we kept our distance, even though that was arguably the moment these drugs finally became good enough to be worth considering. Go figure!

Regarding your own experience, I have a hunch that the more insulin-sensitive a person is, the harder they'll find the early fatigue from reta (and this would hold true even at lower doses). My reasoning: if someone begins with a low fasting insulin level—which would also suggest a low baseline glucagon level—then when these medications start nudging hormones in ways that shift insulin and glucagon around, that shift will feel far more dramatic to them than it would to someone starting from a much higher fasting insulin level. When I began at 1mg, the fatigue was pretty crippling for several days before it settled into a level I could still function with. I don't have enough data to confirm or refute this, but it's an educated guess, and given your low-carb background, I assume you were metabolically healthy before starting reta.

I'll also mention that GLP-assisted weight loss has some odd characteristics—it seems to lean toward stripping more lean mass than diets typically do. That sounds alarming at first, but it appears to happen without major strength losses, provided the person stays active. I've caught myself wondering whether it might be something akin to autophagy. It would be interesting to know whether your weight loss has tracked with a substantial drop in body fat, whether your lifting strength has suffered, or what has stood out as unique for you. And I'd also be curious whether your diet has changed much from before reta to now.
Alright, that's a good one - I've been hanging around the keto/carnivore/low-carb/LMHR world on Twitter ever since my own keto story began back in 2016, which I started for epilepsy. So my hunch is I probably know who you are, at least in the online sense. The obvious reasons keep my reta experiment away from social media - the gray market peptide stigma being the main one, and I simply don't want the hassle. 😉

On the "shunning" of GLPs in that community, I'm with you - particularly given that keto by itself took 160lb off me. Reta ended up being the first one I got curious about, largely because sharp folks in "my circle" were researching it and even running experiments (Amber being one), and since I've never been the type to back away from a health experiment, I jumped in a bit more than two months ago.

As far as lifting goes, any strength drop I've had looks the same as what I get from any other kind of caloric restriction. Consuming enough calories to fuel my training has been the real obstacle with reta, especially since I love doing marathon-or-longer hikes on weekends. Once I bumped my dose to 1.4mg/week (0.7mg 2x weekly), my lifting stamina clearly fell off - it wasn't merely that the same weights felt harder, my sessions left me physically wiped out (on top of the daily fatigue that lingered). So when my Tuesday injection came last week, I dropped back to 1mg/week and my workouts have returned to normal.

What's interesting is that my sleep has stayed solid (sleep scores in the 90s on most nights), my RHR is still low to mid 40s (which is normal for me), my HRV is still balanced, and VO2 max is unchanged. The one thing I have noticed is a higher-than-usual HR spike during both lifting and hiking - not alarming, but reaching zone 5 is far easier than it used to be.

What has been most surprising, remarkably, is that my brain used to run nonstop 24/7 - not only food noise, but everything noise. Racing thoughts, health anxiety, catastrophizing, rumination…it never really shut off. And now? That background noise has almost vanished. For the first time in years my mind feels quiet, and I can actually focus. The constant anxiety and spiraling have dropped dramatically. This was genuinely not something I expected. The weight loss is great, but for me the mental peace has been miraculous. I knew reta shut off the "food noise" but never entertained the thought that it shut off the "everything" noise. I'm tempted to keep microdosing after my cut just for that benefit alone.

And my diet has not changed at all, aside from volume. I was LCHF from 2017-2019, then switched to LCHP to support muscle growth and have been there ever since. Usually average between 20-30g carbs per day.

I'd be curious to hear your take on the widespread idea that "reta needs carbs to work". It gets repeated all over Reddit (which admittedly doesn't give the theory much weight - r/retatrutide is a hot mess) but I'd love to learn more about the science behind it.

Really great to meet you - thanks for responding!
It's a coincidence you brought up Amber — she showed up in my feed not long ago, and I remember thinking "damn, she must have figured something out." As I recall, she presented at COSCI during the year I attended, and part of her talk covered her struggles with weight, which struck me as odd given how many people in the zero-carb sphere treat effortless weight management as a perk.

Beyond that, I'm not really involved in that world at the moment (though I still dip into some of the content now and then). Even so, I picked up a great deal there, and it did a lot to shape how I think about metabolism and nutrition. That said, with Ben putting out more GLP content and Nick talking about his recent reta experiment, I wouldn't be shocked if someone gives a reta presentation next year. Perhaps I'll stick my head back in. We'll see!

It would be nice if they dug into it more thoroughly, in my view, since I'd guess their framework for making sense of GLP-driven weight loss is far better than the mainstream approach, which barely scratches the surface. Good analysis is harder to come by than you'd think — or at least I've had trouble finding it — so I've ended up inferring quite a lot.

I can't claim to grasp why carbs would be "necessary" on reta. My hunch is that when metabolism speeds up, some aspects of hunger (not hunger as a whole) speed up alongside it, leaving people with a stronger psychological pull toward carbs. In the same way that a hard workout can leave someone hungrier afterward, and that heightened hunger drives them toward particular foods, I can picture something similar with reta — except most of the hunger signaling is gone, so only the "carb craving" piece makes it through. Still, this is pure speculation on my part. On top of that, blood sugar drops noticeably when someone first starts reta, which might also play into carb cravings.
Are you talking about Ben Bikman? I haven't caught his latest discussions on GLPs (probably because I wasn't keeping up with him), so I'll need to check those out. And yeah, Nick is a real piece of work - like a hamster on speed 🤣 Watching him do podcasts with Dave is hilarious since their vibes are complete opposites.

Your take on the carb theory makes sense to me - after nearly a decade of low carb eating, my cravings were already naturally blunted before reta, and nothing shifted after starting it. Since blood sugar has never been an issue for me (mine sits around 80-90 mg/dl), I did worry reta might push it down further than I'd like, but that hasn't happened either. I keep a ketone meter at home that also checks BG, so I test every now and then. The one change I've seen is needing way more electrolytes than my usual low-carb amount.

It'll be fascinating to watch how these discussions develop in the metabolic world as GLPs, particularly reta, gain more mainstream attention. So far, tirz and reta appear to avoid the stigma that sema deals with.
Yeah, his more recent YouTube uploads on this topic are worth watching. Compared to most researchers who speak publicly in this area, I'd say he grasps the hormone side better, so his take brings something useful. At first he framed these drugs mainly as something to support someone in switching to low-carb eating (hardly surprising given where he's coming from) and as a short-term tool to carry someone across that transition. Sure, that's a legitimate use case, but it wasn't the most compelling angle. Lately though, he's shifted toward asking what's actually going on in the bodies of people using GLPs, and he put out a video not long ago explaining why framing things as "GLPs raise insulin" misses the point. Since that happens to line up with how I see it, I'm obviously going to give him credit for it. My sense is he's gone from a gut-level doubt about these compounds to genuine interest, and I'm curious where he'll take it next.

My own early blood glucose response matched that, and because I use a CGM I could actually track it. During month 1, sitting somewhere in the 50-70 mg/dL band between meals and overnight was pretty typical for me, roughly 20 to 30 mg/dL beneath where I'd been before starting. After that, it settled more into 65 to 80 mg/dL between meals and overnight. Fasted morning readings stayed above 100mg/dL in both periods. Early on, getting into ketosis while eating a mixed diet was much simpler. These days ketosis seems neither easier nor harder to reach than it was before GLPs, even though I weigh less now, which strikes me as odd. Usually when my weight falls, staying in ketosis gets simpler, and I figure that's because fasting insulin drops along with weight. Take one instance: back when low-carb eating (before GLPs) had brought me to a BMI of 27, I ran a test where I added modest potato portions at dinner to see how far I could push things and still be back in ketosis by morning. To my surprise, even at 150g of carbs (with plenty of fat included, naturally) I'd still wake up back in ketosis! That's a world away from when my BMI sits in the low 30s, where merely overshooting on protein (on a beef-heavy but very low-carb plan) could knock me out of ketosis. So in short, during the first month or two on reta, ketosis arrived easily at a BMI (low 30s) where that wouldn't normally happen. Now, at roughly BMI 29, reta doesn't appear to be pushing me toward ketosis the way it did at first. Given that, the glucose readings I saw fit together nicely: steady 50-60 mg/dL would point to a metabolism running heavily on fat/ketones, whereas where I am now suggests my metabolism leans more on glucose.

It'd be worth encouraging Amber to drop by here (maybe under a pseudonym), because with her background I bet she'd have genuinely interesting insights into the mechanisms underneath all this. A lot of people in this space are stuck in a "calories" frame of mind (which makes sense if someone hasn't really dug into the low-carb side of things), but unfortunately that also means a large share of the discussion here does little to illuminate the real mechanisms, balances, and tipping points that shape outcomes.
Amber and I know each other offline, so I could send her a message about this. She has attempted to talk about reta and metabolic effects on Reddit, but given the nature of Reddit, the replies were exactly what you'd expect and did nothing to move the discussion forward.

What you've noticed about ketosis is intriguing. Since I've followed LCHP for multiple years, my ketones typically sit around 0.3-0.5 mmol (unlike when doing LCHF, where I'd reach 3.0, though that made sense while I was actively shedding a lot of bodyfat). During my first 3 weeks on reta, my ketones climbed to 1.2 mmol, but they've since returned to my usual LCHP baseline. That said, I'm currently at 15.4% BF and 19.9% BMI with 113lb lean mass, so there's not much fat left to burn. That's why I'm moving toward a microdosing titration plan for the OCD relief I've gotten.

Still, I'm with you that Amber would add a lot to this conversation. She's the most grounded and analytical person I know, and her mind can be pretty intimidating at times 🙂
Over on Reddit, a handful of subreddits can occasionally host real discussion, though I'd say locating them isn't easy. I rarely check in anymore, but /r/saturatedfat was one I enjoyed back in the day. Originally it centered on Brad Marshall's (fire in a bottle) ideas, beginning with what got nicknamed the croissant diet (at bottom a stearic acid maximization approach, though far more subtlety was involved than that label suggests). My sense is that angle has mostly been dropped (even so, the research behind it and the thinking that grew out of it were genuinely fascinating). More recently, HCLPLF has gotten a lot of attention there, yet the actual draw is that the crowd has mostly experimented across many "fringe" dietary camps, so rather than a single-diet echo chamber full of zealots, you get a wide spread of perspectives exchanged with a fair amount of respect. There's some irony, too, in a community that began by maximizing saturated fat drifting toward a preference for high-carb eating. That irony fades somewhat once you look past the surface and recognize that going high-carb is likely the surest route to keeping PUFA fat stores low (while keeping saturated fat stores high) in the body.

Good to hear your ketone and reta experience lined up with mine. I'm curious what will happen once my BMI is back at 27 on reta, and whether ketosis will throw any surprises at me then. My hunch is that at lower BMIs, reta could actually make entering ketosis more difficult: the idea being that you're essentially making your body handle a bigger glucagon load (even if that glucagon is fake), and the only way to manage it would be more insulin, which in principle ought to make ketosis "harder." If that held up, reta would end up less effective than tirz past some BMI threshold (a tipping point, so to speak), since the glucagon agonist would then be working against you. But the fact that reta produces notably greater average weight loss than tirz (at matched dosing) seems to contradict my hunch.... unless it turns out that few people ever get light enough to hit that tipping point, or that other metabolic forces take over and cancel my hunch out (quite possible).
Yeah, I'm familiar with Brad. One of my closest friends really enjoys his diet trials — he even went through the croissant diet, plus a few approaches focused on heavy cream that @exfatloss has talked about (I'm not really on board with him; he comes off as quite keto-jaded), and those newer low vitamin A ideas. When it comes to experimenting with food, my friend takes way more risks than I do. 😆
 
octopusthorpe said:

tubby said:

octopusthorpe said:

tubby said:

octopusthorpe said:

tubby said:

octopusthorpe said:

tubby said:

octopusthorpe said:

tubby said:

Saw this crop up again today and thought a post that tackles the topic properly would be worth having. The usual claim is that reta behaves the same as tirzepatide under 4mg, or that the glucagon agonist only "kicks in" once you reach that level.

The 4mg figure is a myth kept alive by one person misreading a phase 1 trial. Participants in that trial got single reta doses and had various markers tracked afterwards. The 3mg arm was the lowest one where serum glucagon dropped meaningfully below its own baseline, and somewhere along the way that got rounded up to 4mg, because 3mg dosing never carried into the phase 2 work.





View attachment 11324

View attachment 11325

Why that reasoning does not hold up:

1: One 4mg hit lands at a peak that is roughly what a weekly 2mg routine produces (drugs accumulate over time). A weekly 4mg routine would instead swing from about 8mg total down to 4mg just before the next shot. Comparing one injection against a weekly schedule is not apples to apples.

2: Nothing says every individual will see glucagon drop at the same dose, because insulin and glucagon vary a lot between people (and baselines can run high in someone who is obese or diabetic). A person with less insulin resistance would probably hit that same result on lower reta dosing, whereas a more insulin resistant person would need a bigger dose before it shows. On top of that, the target keeps moving as treatment goes on, since insulin resistance itself changes too.

3: Serum glucagon on its own is not a standalone metric. Metabolism is governed by the ratio of insulin to glucagon. Any GLP already nudges baseline insulin up a little. So even before glucagon agonism enters the picture, the body will naturally push glucagon up in reply to a GLP. You can see exactly that in the same phase 1 trial, where glucagon rises on a very low reta dose. So reading "unchanged" glucagon at a low dose misses most of the story. The better reading is "balanced," because that is the point where the glucagon agonist is offsetting the GLP-1 RA’s tendency to raise glucagon. 4mg is merely where the glucagon agonist started to win.

Worth adding:

Worth pointing out as well that 99% of influencers have no clue what a shift in glucagon level even signifies. Lowering glucagon is not the aim with reta. A GLP-1 agonist can be read as counterfeit GLP-1, and in the same spirit the glucagon agonist in reta is "counterfeit glucagon." A lower reading for real glucagon in blood matters because it tells you the body has decided glucagon is running too high (it senses all that counterfeit glucagon) and is dialling back how much it makes. It means the body is both being "fooled" by the counterfeit glucagon and convinced that current glucagon levels are excessive.

The normal pattern is that glucagon climbs when you have gone several hours without food, then settles back after a carb-containing meal. A glucagon agonist overrides that and convinces the body the levels never come down. In practice this appears to keep metabolism elevated, and to drive other processes that overall look helpful for people with obesity and/or diabetes and that support weight loss, though I would not claim the precise biochemical reason for it is fully settled.

None of this means 4mg is a bad level or anything of the sort. It just means there is nothing magical or special about that number compared with any other.

View attachment 11326
I appreciate you laying all of this out. For 9 weeks I've been taking 1mg/week, divided into 2 doses of 0.5mg, and the results have been great. 2 weeks ago I attempted a bump to 1.4mg, but the side effects hurt my gym performance and brought on fatigue I wasn't willing to accept, so I dropped back down and feel significantly better now.

That 4mg claim kept coming up, and since reaching or tolerating such a dose seems impossible for me, I wondered whether I was losing out on the glucagon advantages.

Some background: I'm female, 5'10.5", began at 162.4lb, and after 9 weeks on reta I'm at 138.8lb. I'm about to begin tapering down for maintenance (my reason for starting reta was perimenopausal weight gain).
What a small world! I don't believe our paths have crossed in person, but I know you from the low-carb scene, and I was also present at the COSCI during its inaugural year when Dave and his team held it in Vegas.

It's quite a curiosity that people like us—who generally steered clear of earlier-generation GLPs—have now become intrigued by retatrutide. For me, the whole glucagon-agonism angle simply felt like a richer subject to explore than the previous generation, though I can't quite put my finger on the exact reason. Reta appears to be pulling in the serious diet-and-nutrition tinkerer types, the ones who previously wanted nothing to do with GLPs. Looking back, that's rather strange, because most of us were perfectly willing to try unorthodox things that would send most people running. Yet even during the tirzepatide era we kept our distance, even though that was arguably the moment these drugs finally became good enough to be worth considering. Go figure!

Regarding your own experience, I have a hunch that the more insulin-sensitive a person is, the harder they'll find the early fatigue from reta (and this would hold true even at lower doses). My reasoning: if someone begins with a low fasting insulin level—which would also suggest a low baseline glucagon level—then when these medications start nudging hormones in ways that shift insulin and glucagon around, that shift will feel far more dramatic to them than it would to someone starting from a much higher fasting insulin level. When I began at 1mg, the fatigue was pretty crippling for several days before it settled into a level I could still function with. I don't have enough data to confirm or refute this, but it's an educated guess, and given your low-carb background, I assume you were metabolically healthy before starting reta.

I'll also mention that GLP-assisted weight loss has some odd characteristics—it seems to lean toward stripping more lean mass than diets typically do. That sounds alarming at first, but it appears to happen without major strength losses, provided the person stays active. I've caught myself wondering whether it might be something akin to autophagy. It would be interesting to know whether your weight loss has tracked with a substantial drop in body fat, whether your lifting strength has suffered, or what has stood out as unique for you. And I'd also be curious whether your diet has changed much from before reta to now.
Alright, that's a good one - I've been hanging around the keto/carnivore/low-carb/LMHR world on Twitter ever since my own keto story began back in 2016, which I started for epilepsy. So my hunch is I probably know who you are, at least in the online sense. The obvious reasons keep my reta experiment away from social media - the gray market peptide stigma being the main one, and I simply don't want the hassle. 😉

On the "shunning" of GLPs in that community, I'm with you - particularly given that keto by itself took 160lb off me. Reta ended up being the first one I got curious about, largely because sharp folks in "my circle" were researching it and even running experiments (Amber being one), and since I've never been the type to back away from a health experiment, I jumped in a bit more than two months ago.

As far as lifting goes, any strength drop I've had looks the same as what I get from any other kind of caloric restriction. Consuming enough calories to fuel my training has been the real obstacle with reta, especially since I love doing marathon-or-longer hikes on weekends. Once I bumped my dose to 1.4mg/week (0.7mg 2x weekly), my lifting stamina clearly fell off - it wasn't merely that the same weights felt harder, my sessions left me physically wiped out (on top of the daily fatigue that lingered). So when my Tuesday injection came last week, I dropped back to 1mg/week and my workouts have returned to normal.

What's interesting is that my sleep has stayed solid (sleep scores in the 90s on most nights), my RHR is still low to mid 40s (which is normal for me), my HRV is still balanced, and VO2 max is unchanged. The one thing I have noticed is a higher-than-usual HR spike during both lifting and hiking - not alarming, but reaching zone 5 is far easier than it used to be.

What has been most surprising, remarkably, is that my brain used to run nonstop 24/7 - not only food noise, but everything noise. Racing thoughts, health anxiety, catastrophizing, rumination…it never really shut off. And now? That background noise has almost vanished. For the first time in years my mind feels quiet, and I can actually focus. The constant anxiety and spiraling have dropped dramatically. This was genuinely not something I expected. The weight loss is great, but for me the mental peace has been miraculous. I knew reta shut off the "food noise" but never entertained the thought that it shut off the "everything" noise. I'm tempted to keep microdosing after my cut just for that benefit alone.

And my diet has not changed at all, aside from volume. I was LCHF from 2017-2019, then switched to LCHP to support muscle growth and have been there ever since. Usually average between 20-30g carbs per day.

I'd be curious to hear your take on the widespread idea that "reta needs carbs to work". It gets repeated all over Reddit (which admittedly doesn't give the theory much weight - r/retatrutide is a hot mess) but I'd love to learn more about the science behind it.

Really great to meet you - thanks for responding!
It's a coincidence you brought up Amber — she showed up in my feed not long ago, and I remember thinking "damn, she must have figured something out." As I recall, she presented at COSCI during the year I attended, and part of her talk covered her struggles with weight, which struck me as odd given how many people in the zero-carb sphere treat effortless weight management as a perk.

Beyond that, I'm not really involved in that world at the moment (though I still dip into some of the content now and then). Even so, I picked up a great deal there, and it did a lot to shape how I think about metabolism and nutrition. That said, with Ben putting out more GLP content and Nick talking about his recent reta experiment, I wouldn't be shocked if someone gives a reta presentation next year. Perhaps I'll stick my head back in. We'll see!

It would be nice if they dug into it more thoroughly, in my view, since I'd guess their framework for making sense of GLP-driven weight loss is far better than the mainstream approach, which barely scratches the surface. Good analysis is harder to come by than you'd think — or at least I've had trouble finding it — so I've ended up inferring quite a lot.

I can't claim to grasp why carbs would be "necessary" on reta. My hunch is that when metabolism speeds up, some aspects of hunger (not hunger as a whole) speed up alongside it, leaving people with a stronger psychological pull toward carbs. In the same way that a hard workout can leave someone hungrier afterward, and that heightened hunger drives them toward particular foods, I can picture something similar with reta — except most of the hunger signaling is gone, so only the "carb craving" piece makes it through. Still, this is pure speculation on my part. On top of that, blood sugar drops noticeably when someone first starts reta, which might also play into carb cravings.
Are you talking about Ben Bikman? I haven't caught his latest discussions on GLPs (probably because I wasn't keeping up with him), so I'll need to check those out. And yeah, Nick is a real piece of work - like a hamster on speed 🤣 Watching him do podcasts with Dave is hilarious since their vibes are complete opposites.

Your take on the carb theory makes sense to me - after nearly a decade of low carb eating, my cravings were already naturally blunted before reta, and nothing shifted after starting it. Since blood sugar has never been an issue for me (mine sits around 80-90 mg/dl), I did worry reta might push it down further than I'd like, but that hasn't happened either. I keep a ketone meter at home that also checks BG, so I test every now and then. The one change I've seen is needing way more electrolytes than my usual low-carb amount.

It'll be fascinating to watch how these discussions develop in the metabolic world as GLPs, particularly reta, gain more mainstream attention. So far, tirz and reta appear to avoid the stigma that sema deals with.
Yeah, his more recent YouTube uploads on this topic are worth watching. Compared to most researchers who speak publicly in this area, I'd say he grasps the hormone side better, so his take brings something useful. At first he framed these drugs mainly as something to support someone in switching to low-carb eating (hardly surprising given where he's coming from) and as a short-term tool to carry someone across that transition. Sure, that's a legitimate use case, but it wasn't the most compelling angle. Lately though, he's shifted toward asking what's actually going on in the bodies of people using GLPs, and he put out a video not long ago explaining why framing things as "GLPs raise insulin" misses the point. Since that happens to line up with how I see it, I'm obviously going to give him credit for it. My sense is he's gone from a gut-level doubt about these compounds to genuine interest, and I'm curious where he'll take it next.

My own early blood glucose response matched that, and because I use a CGM I could actually track it. During month 1, sitting somewhere in the 50-70 mg/dL band between meals and overnight was pretty typical for me, roughly 20 to 30 mg/dL beneath where I'd been before starting. After that, it settled more into 65 to 80 mg/dL between meals and overnight. Fasted morning readings stayed above 100mg/dL in both periods. Early on, getting into ketosis while eating a mixed diet was much simpler. These days ketosis seems neither easier nor harder to reach than it was before GLPs, even though I weigh less now, which strikes me as odd. Usually when my weight falls, staying in ketosis gets simpler, and I figure that's because fasting insulin drops along with weight. Take one instance: back when low-carb eating (before GLPs) had brought me to a BMI of 27, I ran a test where I added modest potato portions at dinner to see how far I could push things and still be back in ketosis by morning. To my surprise, even at 150g of carbs (with plenty of fat included, naturally) I'd still wake up back in ketosis! That's a world away from when my BMI sits in the low 30s, where merely overshooting on protein (on a beef-heavy but very low-carb plan) could knock me out of ketosis. So in short, during the first month or two on reta, ketosis arrived easily at a BMI (low 30s) where that wouldn't normally happen. Now, at roughly BMI 29, reta doesn't appear to be pushing me toward ketosis the way it did at first. Given that, the glucose readings I saw fit together nicely: steady 50-60 mg/dL would point to a metabolism running heavily on fat/ketones, whereas where I am now suggests my metabolism leans more on glucose.

It'd be worth encouraging Amber to drop by here (maybe under a pseudonym), because with her background I bet she'd have genuinely interesting insights into the mechanisms underneath all this. A lot of people in this space are stuck in a "calories" frame of mind (which makes sense if someone hasn't really dug into the low-carb side of things), but unfortunately that also means a large share of the discussion here does little to illuminate the real mechanisms, balances, and tipping points that shape outcomes.
Amber and I know each other offline, so I could send her a message about this. She has attempted to talk about reta and metabolic effects on Reddit, but given the nature of Reddit, the replies were exactly what you'd expect and did nothing to move the discussion forward.

What you've noticed about ketosis is intriguing. Since I've followed LCHP for multiple years, my ketones typically sit around 0.3-0.5 mmol (unlike when doing LCHF, where I'd reach 3.0, though that made sense while I was actively shedding a lot of bodyfat). During my first 3 weeks on reta, my ketones climbed to 1.2 mmol, but they've since returned to my usual LCHP baseline. That said, I'm currently at 15.4% BF and 19.9% BMI with 113lb lean mass, so there's not much fat left to burn. That's why I'm moving toward a microdosing titration plan for the OCD relief I've gotten.

Still, I'm with you that Amber would add a lot to this conversation. She's the most grounded and analytical person I know, and her mind can be pretty intimidating at times 🙂
Over on Reddit, a handful of subreddits can occasionally host real discussion, though I'd say locating them isn't easy. I rarely check in anymore, but /r/saturatedfat was one I enjoyed back in the day. Originally it centered on Brad Marshall's (fire in a bottle) ideas, beginning with what got nicknamed the croissant diet (at bottom a stearic acid maximization approach, though far more subtlety was involved than that label suggests). My sense is that angle has mostly been dropped (even so, the research behind it and the thinking that grew out of it were genuinely fascinating). More recently, HCLPLF has gotten a lot of attention there, yet the actual draw is that the crowd has mostly experimented across many "fringe" dietary camps, so rather than a single-diet echo chamber full of zealots, you get a wide spread of perspectives exchanged with a fair amount of respect. There's some irony, too, in a community that began by maximizing saturated fat drifting toward a preference for high-carb eating. That irony fades somewhat once you look past the surface and recognize that going high-carb is likely the surest route to keeping PUFA fat stores low (while keeping saturated fat stores high) in the body.

Good to hear your ketone and reta experience lined up with mine. I'm curious what will happen once my BMI is back at 27 on reta, and whether ketosis will throw any surprises at me then. My hunch is that at lower BMIs, reta could actually make entering ketosis more difficult: the idea being that you're essentially making your body handle a bigger glucagon load (even if that glucagon is fake), and the only way to manage it would be more insulin, which in principle ought to make ketosis "harder." If that held up, reta would end up less effective than tirz past some BMI threshold (a tipping point, so to speak), since the glucagon agonist would then be working against you. But the fact that reta produces notably greater average weight loss than tirz (at matched dosing) seems to contradict my hunch.... unless it turns out that few people ever get light enough to hit that tipping point, or that other metabolic forces take over and cancel my hunch out (quite possible).
Yeah, I'm familiar with Brad. One of my closest friends really enjoys his diet trials — he even went through the croissant diet, plus a few approaches focused on heavy cream that @exfatloss has talked about (I'm not really on board with him; he comes off as quite keto-jaded), and those newer low vitamin A ideas. When it comes to experimenting with food, my friend takes way more risks than I do. 😆
If exfatloss isn't on your radar, you're really missing something. Whether I end up agreeing with his big-picture takes is roughly a coin flip at 50:50, but the way he lays out his own experiments is so thorough that reading him is genuinely enjoyable—and he pretty much embodies the willingness to test an "extreme" diet without hesitation.

I have to admit, Brad is someone I'd almost prefer stayed away from reta, just because it could stop him from dreaming up and justifying brand-new diet ideas. That said, if he ever did try it, he'd likely bring some fascinating perspectives along with him.
 
tubby said:

octopusthorpe said:

tubby said:

octopusthorpe said:

tubby said:

octopusthorpe said:

tubby said:

octopusthorpe said:

tubby said:

octopusthorpe said:

tubby said:

Saw this crop up again today and thought a post that tackles the topic properly would be worth having. The usual claim is that reta behaves the same as tirzepatide under 4mg, or that the glucagon agonist only "kicks in" once you reach that level.

The 4mg figure is a myth kept alive by one person misreading a phase 1 trial. Participants in that trial got single reta doses and had various markers tracked afterwards. The 3mg arm was the lowest one where serum glucagon dropped meaningfully below its own baseline, and somewhere along the way that got rounded up to 4mg, because 3mg dosing never carried into the phase 2 work.





View attachment 11324

View attachment 11325

Why that reasoning does not hold up:

1: One 4mg hit lands at a peak that is roughly what a weekly 2mg routine produces (drugs accumulate over time). A weekly 4mg routine would instead swing from about 8mg total down to 4mg just before the next shot. Comparing one injection against a weekly schedule is not apples to apples.

2: Nothing says every individual will see glucagon drop at the same dose, because insulin and glucagon vary a lot between people (and baselines can run high in someone who is obese or diabetic). A person with less insulin resistance would probably hit that same result on lower reta dosing, whereas a more insulin resistant person would need a bigger dose before it shows. On top of that, the target keeps moving as treatment goes on, since insulin resistance itself changes too.

3: Serum glucagon on its own is not a standalone metric. Metabolism is governed by the ratio of insulin to glucagon. Any GLP already nudges baseline insulin up a little. So even before glucagon agonism enters the picture, the body will naturally push glucagon up in reply to a GLP. You can see exactly that in the same phase 1 trial, where glucagon rises on a very low reta dose. So reading "unchanged" glucagon at a low dose misses most of the story. The better reading is "balanced," because that is the point where the glucagon agonist is offsetting the GLP-1 RA’s tendency to raise glucagon. 4mg is merely where the glucagon agonist started to win.

Worth adding:

Worth pointing out as well that 99% of influencers have no clue what a shift in glucagon level even signifies. Lowering glucagon is not the aim with reta. A GLP-1 agonist can be read as counterfeit GLP-1, and in the same spirit the glucagon agonist in reta is "counterfeit glucagon." A lower reading for real glucagon in blood matters because it tells you the body has decided glucagon is running too high (it senses all that counterfeit glucagon) and is dialling back how much it makes. It means the body is both being "fooled" by the counterfeit glucagon and convinced that current glucagon levels are excessive.

The normal pattern is that glucagon climbs when you have gone several hours without food, then settles back after a carb-containing meal. A glucagon agonist overrides that and convinces the body the levels never come down. In practice this appears to keep metabolism elevated, and to drive other processes that overall look helpful for people with obesity and/or diabetes and that support weight loss, though I would not claim the precise biochemical reason for it is fully settled.

None of this means 4mg is a bad level or anything of the sort. It just means there is nothing magical or special about that number compared with any other.

View attachment 11326
I appreciate you laying all of this out. For 9 weeks I've been taking 1mg/week, divided into 2 doses of 0.5mg, and the results have been great. 2 weeks ago I attempted a bump to 1.4mg, but the side effects hurt my gym performance and brought on fatigue I wasn't willing to accept, so I dropped back down and feel significantly better now.

That 4mg claim kept coming up, and since reaching or tolerating such a dose seems impossible for me, I wondered whether I was losing out on the glucagon advantages.

Some background: I'm female, 5'10.5", began at 162.4lb, and after 9 weeks on reta I'm at 138.8lb. I'm about to begin tapering down for maintenance (my reason for starting reta was perimenopausal weight gain).
What a small world! I don't believe our paths have crossed in person, but I know you from the low-carb scene, and I was also present at the COSCI during its inaugural year when Dave and his team held it in Vegas.

It's quite a curiosity that people like us—who generally steered clear of earlier-generation GLPs—have now become intrigued by retatrutide. For me, the whole glucagon-agonism angle simply felt like a richer subject to explore than the previous generation, though I can't quite put my finger on the exact reason. Reta appears to be pulling in the serious diet-and-nutrition tinkerer types, the ones who previously wanted nothing to do with GLPs. Looking back, that's rather strange, because most of us were perfectly willing to try unorthodox things that would send most people running. Yet even during the tirzepatide era we kept our distance, even though that was arguably the moment these drugs finally became good enough to be worth considering. Go figure!

Regarding your own experience, I have a hunch that the more insulin-sensitive a person is, the harder they'll find the early fatigue from reta (and this would hold true even at lower doses). My reasoning: if someone begins with a low fasting insulin level—which would also suggest a low baseline glucagon level—then when these medications start nudging hormones in ways that shift insulin and glucagon around, that shift will feel far more dramatic to them than it would to someone starting from a much higher fasting insulin level. When I began at 1mg, the fatigue was pretty crippling for several days before it settled into a level I could still function with. I don't have enough data to confirm or refute this, but it's an educated guess, and given your low-carb background, I assume you were metabolically healthy before starting reta.

I'll also mention that GLP-assisted weight loss has some odd characteristics—it seems to lean toward stripping more lean mass than diets typically do. That sounds alarming at first, but it appears to happen without major strength losses, provided the person stays active. I've caught myself wondering whether it might be something akin to autophagy. It would be interesting to know whether your weight loss has tracked with a substantial drop in body fat, whether your lifting strength has suffered, or what has stood out as unique for you. And I'd also be curious whether your diet has changed much from before reta to now.
Alright, that's a good one - I've been hanging around the keto/carnivore/low-carb/LMHR world on Twitter ever since my own keto story began back in 2016, which I started for epilepsy. So my hunch is I probably know who you are, at least in the online sense. The obvious reasons keep my reta experiment away from social media - the gray market peptide stigma being the main one, and I simply don't want the hassle. 😉

On the "shunning" of GLPs in that community, I'm with you - particularly given that keto by itself took 160lb off me. Reta ended up being the first one I got curious about, largely because sharp folks in "my circle" were researching it and even running experiments (Amber being one), and since I've never been the type to back away from a health experiment, I jumped in a bit more than two months ago.

As far as lifting goes, any strength drop I've had looks the same as what I get from any other kind of caloric restriction. Consuming enough calories to fuel my training has been the real obstacle with reta, especially since I love doing marathon-or-longer hikes on weekends. Once I bumped my dose to 1.4mg/week (0.7mg 2x weekly), my lifting stamina clearly fell off - it wasn't merely that the same weights felt harder, my sessions left me physically wiped out (on top of the daily fatigue that lingered). So when my Tuesday injection came last week, I dropped back to 1mg/week and my workouts have returned to normal.

What's interesting is that my sleep has stayed solid (sleep scores in the 90s on most nights), my RHR is still low to mid 40s (which is normal for me), my HRV is still balanced, and VO2 max is unchanged. The one thing I have noticed is a higher-than-usual HR spike during both lifting and hiking - not alarming, but reaching zone 5 is far easier than it used to be.

What has been most surprising, remarkably, is that my brain used to run nonstop 24/7 - not only food noise, but everything noise. Racing thoughts, health anxiety, catastrophizing, rumination…it never really shut off. And now? That background noise has almost vanished. For the first time in years my mind feels quiet, and I can actually focus. The constant anxiety and spiraling have dropped dramatically. This was genuinely not something I expected. The weight loss is great, but for me the mental peace has been miraculous. I knew reta shut off the "food noise" but never entertained the thought that it shut off the "everything" noise. I'm tempted to keep microdosing after my cut just for that benefit alone.

And my diet has not changed at all, aside from volume. I was LCHF from 2017-2019, then switched to LCHP to support muscle growth and have been there ever since. Usually average between 20-30g carbs per day.

I'd be curious to hear your take on the widespread idea that "reta needs carbs to work". It gets repeated all over Reddit (which admittedly doesn't give the theory much weight - r/retatrutide is a hot mess) but I'd love to learn more about the science behind it.

Really great to meet you - thanks for responding!
It's a coincidence you brought up Amber — she showed up in my feed not long ago, and I remember thinking "damn, she must have figured something out." As I recall, she presented at COSCI during the year I attended, and part of her talk covered her struggles with weight, which struck me as odd given how many people in the zero-carb sphere treat effortless weight management as a perk.

Beyond that, I'm not really involved in that world at the moment (though I still dip into some of the content now and then). Even so, I picked up a great deal there, and it did a lot to shape how I think about metabolism and nutrition. That said, with Ben putting out more GLP content and Nick talking about his recent reta experiment, I wouldn't be shocked if someone gives a reta presentation next year. Perhaps I'll stick my head back in. We'll see!

It would be nice if they dug into it more thoroughly, in my view, since I'd guess their framework for making sense of GLP-driven weight loss is far better than the mainstream approach, which barely scratches the surface. Good analysis is harder to come by than you'd think — or at least I've had trouble finding it — so I've ended up inferring quite a lot.

I can't claim to grasp why carbs would be "necessary" on reta. My hunch is that when metabolism speeds up, some aspects of hunger (not hunger as a whole) speed up alongside it, leaving people with a stronger psychological pull toward carbs. In the same way that a hard workout can leave someone hungrier afterward, and that heightened hunger drives them toward particular foods, I can picture something similar with reta — except most of the hunger signaling is gone, so only the "carb craving" piece makes it through. Still, this is pure speculation on my part. On top of that, blood sugar drops noticeably when someone first starts reta, which might also play into carb cravings.
Are you talking about Ben Bikman? I haven't caught his latest discussions on GLPs (probably because I wasn't keeping up with him), so I'll need to check those out. And yeah, Nick is a real piece of work - like a hamster on speed 🤣 Watching him do podcasts with Dave is hilarious since their vibes are complete opposites.

Your take on the carb theory makes sense to me - after nearly a decade of low carb eating, my cravings were already naturally blunted before reta, and nothing shifted after starting it. Since blood sugar has never been an issue for me (mine sits around 80-90 mg/dl), I did worry reta might push it down further than I'd like, but that hasn't happened either. I keep a ketone meter at home that also checks BG, so I test every now and then. The one change I've seen is needing way more electrolytes than my usual low-carb amount.

It'll be fascinating to watch how these discussions develop in the metabolic world as GLPs, particularly reta, gain more mainstream attention. So far, tirz and reta appear to avoid the stigma that sema deals with.
Yeah, his more recent YouTube uploads on this topic are worth watching. Compared to most researchers who speak publicly in this area, I'd say he grasps the hormone side better, so his take brings something useful. At first he framed these drugs mainly as something to support someone in switching to low-carb eating (hardly surprising given where he's coming from) and as a short-term tool to carry someone across that transition. Sure, that's a legitimate use case, but it wasn't the most compelling angle. Lately though, he's shifted toward asking what's actually going on in the bodies of people using GLPs, and he put out a video not long ago explaining why framing things as "GLPs raise insulin" misses the point. Since that happens to line up with how I see it, I'm obviously going to give him credit for it. My sense is he's gone from a gut-level doubt about these compounds to genuine interest, and I'm curious where he'll take it next.

My own early blood glucose response matched that, and because I use a CGM I could actually track it. During month 1, sitting somewhere in the 50-70 mg/dL band between meals and overnight was pretty typical for me, roughly 20 to 30 mg/dL beneath where I'd been before starting. After that, it settled more into 65 to 80 mg/dL between meals and overnight. Fasted morning readings stayed above 100mg/dL in both periods. Early on, getting into ketosis while eating a mixed diet was much simpler. These days ketosis seems neither easier nor harder to reach than it was before GLPs, even though I weigh less now, which strikes me as odd. Usually when my weight falls, staying in ketosis gets simpler, and I figure that's because fasting insulin drops along with weight. Take one instance: back when low-carb eating (before GLPs) had brought me to a BMI of 27, I ran a test where I added modest potato portions at dinner to see how far I could push things and still be back in ketosis by morning. To my surprise, even at 150g of carbs (with plenty of fat included, naturally) I'd still wake up back in ketosis! That's a world away from when my BMI sits in the low 30s, where merely overshooting on protein (on a beef-heavy but very low-carb plan) could knock me out of ketosis. So in short, during the first month or two on reta, ketosis arrived easily at a BMI (low 30s) where that wouldn't normally happen. Now, at roughly BMI 29, reta doesn't appear to be pushing me toward ketosis the way it did at first. Given that, the glucose readings I saw fit together nicely: steady 50-60 mg/dL would point to a metabolism running heavily on fat/ketones, whereas where I am now suggests my metabolism leans more on glucose.

It'd be worth encouraging Amber to drop by here (maybe under a pseudonym), because with her background I bet she'd have genuinely interesting insights into the mechanisms underneath all this. A lot of people in this space are stuck in a "calories" frame of mind (which makes sense if someone hasn't really dug into the low-carb side of things), but unfortunately that also means a large share of the discussion here does little to illuminate the real mechanisms, balances, and tipping points that shape outcomes.
Amber and I know each other offline, so I could send her a message about this. She has attempted to talk about reta and metabolic effects on Reddit, but given the nature of Reddit, the replies were exactly what you'd expect and did nothing to move the discussion forward.

What you've noticed about ketosis is intriguing. Since I've followed LCHP for multiple years, my ketones typically sit around 0.3-0.5 mmol (unlike when doing LCHF, where I'd reach 3.0, though that made sense while I was actively shedding a lot of bodyfat). During my first 3 weeks on reta, my ketones climbed to 1.2 mmol, but they've since returned to my usual LCHP baseline. That said, I'm currently at 15.4% BF and 19.9% BMI with 113lb lean mass, so there's not much fat left to burn. That's why I'm moving toward a microdosing titration plan for the OCD relief I've gotten.

Still, I'm with you that Amber would add a lot to this conversation. She's the most grounded and analytical person I know, and her mind can be pretty intimidating at times 🙂
Over on Reddit, a handful of subreddits can occasionally host real discussion, though I'd say locating them isn't easy. I rarely check in anymore, but /r/saturatedfat was one I enjoyed back in the day. Originally it centered on Brad Marshall's (fire in a bottle) ideas, beginning with what got nicknamed the croissant diet (at bottom a stearic acid maximization approach, though far more subtlety was involved than that label suggests). My sense is that angle has mostly been dropped (even so, the research behind it and the thinking that grew out of it were genuinely fascinating). More recently, HCLPLF has gotten a lot of attention there, yet the actual draw is that the crowd has mostly experimented across many "fringe" dietary camps, so rather than a single-diet echo chamber full of zealots, you get a wide spread of perspectives exchanged with a fair amount of respect. There's some irony, too, in a community that began by maximizing saturated fat drifting toward a preference for high-carb eating. That irony fades somewhat once you look past the surface and recognize that going high-carb is likely the surest route to keeping PUFA fat stores low (while keeping saturated fat stores high) in the body.

Good to hear your ketone and reta experience lined up with mine. I'm curious what will happen once my BMI is back at 27 on reta, and whether ketosis will throw any surprises at me then. My hunch is that at lower BMIs, reta could actually make entering ketosis more difficult: the idea being that you're essentially making your body handle a bigger glucagon load (even if that glucagon is fake), and the only way to manage it would be more insulin, which in principle ought to make ketosis "harder." If that held up, reta would end up less effective than tirz past some BMI threshold (a tipping point, so to speak), since the glucagon agonist would then be working against you. But the fact that reta produces notably greater average weight loss than tirz (at matched dosing) seems to contradict my hunch.... unless it turns out that few people ever get light enough to hit that tipping point, or that other metabolic forces take over and cancel my hunch out (quite possible).
Yeah, I'm familiar with Brad. One of my closest friends really enjoys his diet trials — he even went through the croissant diet, plus a few approaches focused on heavy cream that @exfatloss has talked about (I'm not really on board with him; he comes off as quite keto-jaded), and those newer low vitamin A ideas. When it comes to experimenting with food, my friend takes way more risks than I do. 😆
If exfatloss isn't on your radar, you're really missing something. Whether I end up agreeing with his big-picture takes is roughly a coin flip at 50:50, but the way he lays out his own experiments is so thorough that reading him is genuinely enjoyable—and he pretty much embodies the willingness to test an "extreme" diet without hesitation.

I have to admit, Brad is someone I'd almost prefer stayed away from reta, just because it could stop him from dreaming up and justifying brand-new diet ideas. That said, if he ever did try it, he'd likely bring some fascinating perspectives along with him.

To be fair, back when I first started keto, exfatloss and I had a bit of a falling-out over keto, and he ended up just attacking me personally, so I'm naturally biased. On top of that, the way he frames things so negatively — anything he doesn't agree with gets called a "-tard" — stops me from looking for what's worthwhile in his work. Still, I'm with you: I'd like to see what Brad turns up in a reta experiment. He's a good egg.
 
octopusthorpe said:

tubby said:

octopusthorpe said:

tubby said:

octopusthorpe said:

tubby said:

octopusthorpe said:

tubby said:

octopusthorpe said:

tubby said:

octopusthorpe said:

tubby said:

Saw this crop up again today and thought a post that tackles the topic properly would be worth having. The usual claim is that reta behaves the same as tirzepatide under 4mg, or that the glucagon agonist only "kicks in" once you reach that level.

The 4mg figure is a myth kept alive by one person misreading a phase 1 trial. Participants in that trial got single reta doses and had various markers tracked afterwards. The 3mg arm was the lowest one where serum glucagon dropped meaningfully below its own baseline, and somewhere along the way that got rounded up to 4mg, because 3mg dosing never carried into the phase 2 work.





View attachment 11324

View attachment 11325

Why that reasoning does not hold up:

1: One 4mg hit lands at a peak that is roughly what a weekly 2mg routine produces (drugs accumulate over time). A weekly 4mg routine would instead swing from about 8mg total down to 4mg just before the next shot. Comparing one injection against a weekly schedule is not apples to apples.

2: Nothing says every individual will see glucagon drop at the same dose, because insulin and glucagon vary a lot between people (and baselines can run high in someone who is obese or diabetic). A person with less insulin resistance would probably hit that same result on lower reta dosing, whereas a more insulin resistant person would need a bigger dose before it shows. On top of that, the target keeps moving as treatment goes on, since insulin resistance itself changes too.

3: Serum glucagon on its own is not a standalone metric. Metabolism is governed by the ratio of insulin to glucagon. Any GLP already nudges baseline insulin up a little. So even before glucagon agonism enters the picture, the body will naturally push glucagon up in reply to a GLP. You can see exactly that in the same phase 1 trial, where glucagon rises on a very low reta dose. So reading "unchanged" glucagon at a low dose misses most of the story. The better reading is "balanced," because that is the point where the glucagon agonist is offsetting the GLP-1 RA’s tendency to raise glucagon. 4mg is merely where the glucagon agonist started to win.

Worth adding:

Worth pointing out as well that 99% of influencers have no clue what a shift in glucagon level even signifies. Lowering glucagon is not the aim with reta. A GLP-1 agonist can be read as counterfeit GLP-1, and in the same spirit the glucagon agonist in reta is "counterfeit glucagon." A lower reading for real glucagon in blood matters because it tells you the body has decided glucagon is running too high (it senses all that counterfeit glucagon) and is dialling back how much it makes. It means the body is both being "fooled" by the counterfeit glucagon and convinced that current glucagon levels are excessive.

The normal pattern is that glucagon climbs when you have gone several hours without food, then settles back after a carb-containing meal. A glucagon agonist overrides that and convinces the body the levels never come down. In practice this appears to keep metabolism elevated, and to drive other processes that overall look helpful for people with obesity and/or diabetes and that support weight loss, though I would not claim the precise biochemical reason for it is fully settled.

None of this means 4mg is a bad level or anything of the sort. It just means there is nothing magical or special about that number compared with any other.

View attachment 11326
I appreciate you laying all of this out. For 9 weeks I've been taking 1mg/week, divided into 2 doses of 0.5mg, and the results have been great. 2 weeks ago I attempted a bump to 1.4mg, but the side effects hurt my gym performance and brought on fatigue I wasn't willing to accept, so I dropped back down and feel significantly better now.

That 4mg claim kept coming up, and since reaching or tolerating such a dose seems impossible for me, I wondered whether I was losing out on the glucagon advantages.

Some background: I'm female, 5'10.5", began at 162.4lb, and after 9 weeks on reta I'm at 138.8lb. I'm about to begin tapering down for maintenance (my reason for starting reta was perimenopausal weight gain).
What a small world! I don't believe our paths have crossed in person, but I know you from the low-carb scene, and I was also present at the COSCI during its inaugural year when Dave and his team held it in Vegas.

It's quite a curiosity that people like us—who generally steered clear of earlier-generation GLPs—have now become intrigued by retatrutide. For me, the whole glucagon-agonism angle simply felt like a richer subject to explore than the previous generation, though I can't quite put my finger on the exact reason. Reta appears to be pulling in the serious diet-and-nutrition tinkerer types, the ones who previously wanted nothing to do with GLPs. Looking back, that's rather strange, because most of us were perfectly willing to try unorthodox things that would send most people running. Yet even during the tirzepatide era we kept our distance, even though that was arguably the moment these drugs finally became good enough to be worth considering. Go figure!

Regarding your own experience, I have a hunch that the more insulin-sensitive a person is, the harder they'll find the early fatigue from reta (and this would hold true even at lower doses). My reasoning: if someone begins with a low fasting insulin level—which would also suggest a low baseline glucagon level—then when these medications start nudging hormones in ways that shift insulin and glucagon around, that shift will feel far more dramatic to them than it would to someone starting from a much higher fasting insulin level. When I began at 1mg, the fatigue was pretty crippling for several days before it settled into a level I could still function with. I don't have enough data to confirm or refute this, but it's an educated guess, and given your low-carb background, I assume you were metabolically healthy before starting reta.

I'll also mention that GLP-assisted weight loss has some odd characteristics—it seems to lean toward stripping more lean mass than diets typically do. That sounds alarming at first, but it appears to happen without major strength losses, provided the person stays active. I've caught myself wondering whether it might be something akin to autophagy. It would be interesting to know whether your weight loss has tracked with a substantial drop in body fat, whether your lifting strength has suffered, or what has stood out as unique for you. And I'd also be curious whether your diet has changed much from before reta to now.
Alright, that's a good one - I've been hanging around the keto/carnivore/low-carb/LMHR world on Twitter ever since my own keto story began back in 2016, which I started for epilepsy. So my hunch is I probably know who you are, at least in the online sense. The obvious reasons keep my reta experiment away from social media - the gray market peptide stigma being the main one, and I simply don't want the hassle. 😉

On the "shunning" of GLPs in that community, I'm with you - particularly given that keto by itself took 160lb off me. Reta ended up being the first one I got curious about, largely because sharp folks in "my circle" were researching it and even running experiments (Amber being one), and since I've never been the type to back away from a health experiment, I jumped in a bit more than two months ago.

As far as lifting goes, any strength drop I've had looks the same as what I get from any other kind of caloric restriction. Consuming enough calories to fuel my training has been the real obstacle with reta, especially since I love doing marathon-or-longer hikes on weekends. Once I bumped my dose to 1.4mg/week (0.7mg 2x weekly), my lifting stamina clearly fell off - it wasn't merely that the same weights felt harder, my sessions left me physically wiped out (on top of the daily fatigue that lingered). So when my Tuesday injection came last week, I dropped back to 1mg/week and my workouts have returned to normal.

What's interesting is that my sleep has stayed solid (sleep scores in the 90s on most nights), my RHR is still low to mid 40s (which is normal for me), my HRV is still balanced, and VO2 max is unchanged. The one thing I have noticed is a higher-than-usual HR spike during both lifting and hiking - not alarming, but reaching zone 5 is far easier than it used to be.

What has been most surprising, remarkably, is that my brain used to run nonstop 24/7 - not only food noise, but everything noise. Racing thoughts, health anxiety, catastrophizing, rumination…it never really shut off. And now? That background noise has almost vanished. For the first time in years my mind feels quiet, and I can actually focus. The constant anxiety and spiraling have dropped dramatically. This was genuinely not something I expected. The weight loss is great, but for me the mental peace has been miraculous. I knew reta shut off the "food noise" but never entertained the thought that it shut off the "everything" noise. I'm tempted to keep microdosing after my cut just for that benefit alone.

And my diet has not changed at all, aside from volume. I was LCHF from 2017-2019, then switched to LCHP to support muscle growth and have been there ever since. Usually average between 20-30g carbs per day.

I'd be curious to hear your take on the widespread idea that "reta needs carbs to work". It gets repeated all over Reddit (which admittedly doesn't give the theory much weight - r/retatrutide is a hot mess) but I'd love to learn more about the science behind it.

Really great to meet you - thanks for responding!
It's a coincidence you brought up Amber — she showed up in my feed not long ago, and I remember thinking "damn, she must have figured something out." As I recall, she presented at COSCI during the year I attended, and part of her talk covered her struggles with weight, which struck me as odd given how many people in the zero-carb sphere treat effortless weight management as a perk.

Beyond that, I'm not really involved in that world at the moment (though I still dip into some of the content now and then). Even so, I picked up a great deal there, and it did a lot to shape how I think about metabolism and nutrition. That said, with Ben putting out more GLP content and Nick talking about his recent reta experiment, I wouldn't be shocked if someone gives a reta presentation next year. Perhaps I'll stick my head back in. We'll see!

It would be nice if they dug into it more thoroughly, in my view, since I'd guess their framework for making sense of GLP-driven weight loss is far better than the mainstream approach, which barely scratches the surface. Good analysis is harder to come by than you'd think — or at least I've had trouble finding it — so I've ended up inferring quite a lot.

I can't claim to grasp why carbs would be "necessary" on reta. My hunch is that when metabolism speeds up, some aspects of hunger (not hunger as a whole) speed up alongside it, leaving people with a stronger psychological pull toward carbs. In the same way that a hard workout can leave someone hungrier afterward, and that heightened hunger drives them toward particular foods, I can picture something similar with reta — except most of the hunger signaling is gone, so only the "carb craving" piece makes it through. Still, this is pure speculation on my part. On top of that, blood sugar drops noticeably when someone first starts reta, which might also play into carb cravings.
Are you talking about Ben Bikman? I haven't caught his latest discussions on GLPs (probably because I wasn't keeping up with him), so I'll need to check those out. And yeah, Nick is a real piece of work - like a hamster on speed 🤣 Watching him do podcasts with Dave is hilarious since their vibes are complete opposites.

Your take on the carb theory makes sense to me - after nearly a decade of low carb eating, my cravings were already naturally blunted before reta, and nothing shifted after starting it. Since blood sugar has never been an issue for me (mine sits around 80-90 mg/dl), I did worry reta might push it down further than I'd like, but that hasn't happened either. I keep a ketone meter at home that also checks BG, so I test every now and then. The one change I've seen is needing way more electrolytes than my usual low-carb amount.

It'll be fascinating to watch how these discussions develop in the metabolic world as GLPs, particularly reta, gain more mainstream attention. So far, tirz and reta appear to avoid the stigma that sema deals with.
Yeah, his more recent YouTube uploads on this topic are worth watching. Compared to most researchers who speak publicly in this area, I'd say he grasps the hormone side better, so his take brings something useful. At first he framed these drugs mainly as something to support someone in switching to low-carb eating (hardly surprising given where he's coming from) and as a short-term tool to carry someone across that transition. Sure, that's a legitimate use case, but it wasn't the most compelling angle. Lately though, he's shifted toward asking what's actually going on in the bodies of people using GLPs, and he put out a video not long ago explaining why framing things as "GLPs raise insulin" misses the point. Since that happens to line up with how I see it, I'm obviously going to give him credit for it. My sense is he's gone from a gut-level doubt about these compounds to genuine interest, and I'm curious where he'll take it next.

My own early blood glucose response matched that, and because I use a CGM I could actually track it. During month 1, sitting somewhere in the 50-70 mg/dL band between meals and overnight was pretty typical for me, roughly 20 to 30 mg/dL beneath where I'd been before starting. After that, it settled more into 65 to 80 mg/dL between meals and overnight. Fasted morning readings stayed above 100mg/dL in both periods. Early on, getting into ketosis while eating a mixed diet was much simpler. These days ketosis seems neither easier nor harder to reach than it was before GLPs, even though I weigh less now, which strikes me as odd. Usually when my weight falls, staying in ketosis gets simpler, and I figure that's because fasting insulin drops along with weight. Take one instance: back when low-carb eating (before GLPs) had brought me to a BMI of 27, I ran a test where I added modest potato portions at dinner to see how far I could push things and still be back in ketosis by morning. To my surprise, even at 150g of carbs (with plenty of fat included, naturally) I'd still wake up back in ketosis! That's a world away from when my BMI sits in the low 30s, where merely overshooting on protein (on a beef-heavy but very low-carb plan) could knock me out of ketosis. So in short, during the first month or two on reta, ketosis arrived easily at a BMI (low 30s) where that wouldn't normally happen. Now, at roughly BMI 29, reta doesn't appear to be pushing me toward ketosis the way it did at first. Given that, the glucose readings I saw fit together nicely: steady 50-60 mg/dL would point to a metabolism running heavily on fat/ketones, whereas where I am now suggests my metabolism leans more on glucose.

It'd be worth encouraging Amber to drop by here (maybe under a pseudonym), because with her background I bet she'd have genuinely interesting insights into the mechanisms underneath all this. A lot of people in this space are stuck in a "calories" frame of mind (which makes sense if someone hasn't really dug into the low-carb side of things), but unfortunately that also means a large share of the discussion here does little to illuminate the real mechanisms, balances, and tipping points that shape outcomes.
Amber and I know each other offline, so I could send her a message about this. She has attempted to talk about reta and metabolic effects on Reddit, but given the nature of Reddit, the replies were exactly what you'd expect and did nothing to move the discussion forward.

What you've noticed about ketosis is intriguing. Since I've followed LCHP for multiple years, my ketones typically sit around 0.3-0.5 mmol (unlike when doing LCHF, where I'd reach 3.0, though that made sense while I was actively shedding a lot of bodyfat). During my first 3 weeks on reta, my ketones climbed to 1.2 mmol, but they've since returned to my usual LCHP baseline. That said, I'm currently at 15.4% BF and 19.9% BMI with 113lb lean mass, so there's not much fat left to burn. That's why I'm moving toward a microdosing titration plan for the OCD relief I've gotten.

Still, I'm with you that Amber would add a lot to this conversation. She's the most grounded and analytical person I know, and her mind can be pretty intimidating at times 🙂
Over on Reddit, a handful of subreddits can occasionally host real discussion, though I'd say locating them isn't easy. I rarely check in anymore, but /r/saturatedfat was one I enjoyed back in the day. Originally it centered on Brad Marshall's (fire in a bottle) ideas, beginning with what got nicknamed the croissant diet (at bottom a stearic acid maximization approach, though far more subtlety was involved than that label suggests). My sense is that angle has mostly been dropped (even so, the research behind it and the thinking that grew out of it were genuinely fascinating). More recently, HCLPLF has gotten a lot of attention there, yet the actual draw is that the crowd has mostly experimented across many "fringe" dietary camps, so rather than a single-diet echo chamber full of zealots, you get a wide spread of perspectives exchanged with a fair amount of respect. There's some irony, too, in a community that began by maximizing saturated fat drifting toward a preference for high-carb eating. That irony fades somewhat once you look past the surface and recognize that going high-carb is likely the surest route to keeping PUFA fat stores low (while keeping saturated fat stores high) in the body.

Good to hear your ketone and reta experience lined up with mine. I'm curious what will happen once my BMI is back at 27 on reta, and whether ketosis will throw any surprises at me then. My hunch is that at lower BMIs, reta could actually make entering ketosis more difficult: the idea being that you're essentially making your body handle a bigger glucagon load (even if that glucagon is fake), and the only way to manage it would be more insulin, which in principle ought to make ketosis "harder." If that held up, reta would end up less effective than tirz past some BMI threshold (a tipping point, so to speak), since the glucagon agonist would then be working against you. But the fact that reta produces notably greater average weight loss than tirz (at matched dosing) seems to contradict my hunch.... unless it turns out that few people ever get light enough to hit that tipping point, or that other metabolic forces take over and cancel my hunch out (quite possible).
Yeah, I'm familiar with Brad. One of my closest friends really enjoys his diet trials — he even went through the croissant diet, plus a few approaches focused on heavy cream that @exfatloss has talked about (I'm not really on board with him; he comes off as quite keto-jaded), and those newer low vitamin A ideas. When it comes to experimenting with food, my friend takes way more risks than I do. 😆
If exfatloss isn't on your radar, you're really missing something. Whether I end up agreeing with his big-picture takes is roughly a coin flip at 50:50, but the way he lays out his own experiments is so thorough that reading him is genuinely enjoyable—and he pretty much embodies the willingness to test an "extreme" diet without hesitation.

I have to admit, Brad is someone I'd almost prefer stayed away from reta, just because it could stop him from dreaming up and justifying brand-new diet ideas. That said, if he ever did try it, he'd likely bring some fascinating perspectives along with him.

To be fair, back when I first started keto, exfatloss and I had a bit of a falling-out over keto, and he ended up just attacking me personally, so I'm naturally biased. On top of that, the way he frames things so negatively — anything he doesn't agree with gets called a "-tard" — stops me from looking for what's worthwhile in his work. Still, I'm with you: I'd like to see what Brad turns up in a reta experiment. He's a good egg.
When it comes to ex, he calls himself a ketard too, and I'd say that's fair — he can come off a bit abrasive in that regard. What I really appreciate is that he turned his heavy cream diet into a pyramid-shaped graphic. Honestly, my fondness for him mostly comes down to this: he's the only person I know who was bold enough to build a diet where almost everything is heavy cream, consumed constantly, with no cap, and then show it works as an extremely effective way to drop weight — he sheds roughly 100 pounds doing it. That's a Norwitz-tier stunt, and it's a solid keto "convincer" for anyone skeptical about the mechanism behind it!

That said, I hope over time more people from that community will drift in, since it would be interesting to see what kinds of conversations end up happening.
 
tubby said:

deleted.user.26 said:

tubby said:

deleted.user.26 said:

Responses clearly vary from person to person. I've been taking 1mg for close to 11 weeks. My starting weight was 328, and I'm down 25lbs (7.6%, which beats the trial figures for 1mg), plus my waist has shrunk by 4 inches, so in my case 1mg seems to be handling visceral fat quite effectively too. That said, I've also changed how I eat and I train 3 times per week. It all adds up.
Absolutely, there's a lot of individual variation. What you're looking at is a waterfall plot: every line is 1 participant's outcome from a phase 2 trial, grouped by dose, and arranged from smallest to largest so the distribution and the typical response become visible.

View attachment 11327
That's worth noting. The shift from 1mg to the other doses is clear. For the majority, 4-12 shows hardly any variation; the charts look nearly identical.
To get a sense of how the averages diverge, I'd suggest revisiting the graph included in the original post. Waterfall plots make those average differences much tougher to pick out.
Averages exist precisely to flatten out the noise so that underlying trends become visible. Those trends do show up, though they get less pronounced past the 4mg mark. Still, comparing 1mg with 4mg reveals a clear distinction.
 
Honestly, a good chunk of what you wrote here leans far more on actual science than the typical GLP1Chat folklore. Nice job 😉

The section I enjoyed most, without question, was this one:

unchanged glucagon levels at low dose may actually reflect balancing effects rather than absence of glucagon agonism

That is a genuinely nuanced observation.

A common reflex is to think:

“the lab number didn’t move” = “the drug isn’t doing anything”

Yet endocrine networks operate through feedback. It’s entirely possible for a receptor agonist to be driving real biologic activity even when the endogenous hormone being measured reads as “normal,” simply because the body adjusts to compensate.

That’s sound physiological logic.
 
Jfrick11 said:

Honestly, a good chunk of what you wrote here leans far more on actual science than the typical GLP1Chat folklore. Nice job 😉

The section I enjoyed most, without question, was this one:

unchanged glucagon levels at low dose may actually reflect balancing effects rather than absence of glucagon agonism

That is a genuinely nuanced observation.

A common reflex is to think:

“the lab number didn’t move” = “the drug isn’t doing anything”

Yet endocrine networks operate through feedback. It’s entirely possible for a receptor agonist to be driving real biologic activity even when the endogenous hormone being measured reads as “normal,” simply because the body adjusts to compensate.

That’s sound physiological logic.
It's somewhat amusing to observe what I take to be my original post rendered into (I'd guess) Spanish and then converted back into English. Honestly, I'm a bit taken aback that the translation managed to preserve the idea intact and didn't alter the sense in the process.
 
Nice write-up, and I get the messy debate, but I think some of these points matter because the whole "same dose as mine" thing at the end is exactly how this plays out in real life.

On the 4 mg myth:

The specific 4 mg figure traces back to a somewhat lazy reading of the phase 1 work by Coskun et al. (2022), and that extrapolated dose is tied to weekly accumulation and doesn't carry much pharmacokinetic weight. So far, agreed. But then the claim that the glucagon component "is active" at 0.5 or 1 mg weekly doesn't hold up against the actual data either. The fact that the trial shows net serum glucose effect is basically nil or only modest at low doses—and yes, that's explained by the usual factors (GLP/glucagon balance, individual sensitivity, etc.)—means the differential component is only marginally affected in that range.

Point 3 (insulin/glucagon balance):

This is where the most recent argument lives, and it's the part I think is the strongest in the post. It's true that serum glucose gets detected because a GLP-1 RA raises basal insulin and the body compensates for glucose. Very few people grasp that. However, this is also a double-edged sword for your argument: if low-dose glucagon agonism doesn't offset the natural GLP induction, then in practice the clean effect on energy expenditure, hepatic lipolysis, and fatty acid preservation (where reta supposedly shines vs tirze) is going to be small. The "equilibration" still holds at the real metabolic output terminals, so "nothing is too much of a problem."

About “falsified glucose”:

The analogy is fine for explaining, but it does add something. Glucagon receptor agonism at the hepatic level is where its different effects come back: an increase in energy levels, an improvement in the hepatic lipid profile, and the famous lean mass preservation seen in the DEXA curves. These effects are dose-dependent in the form based on Jastreboff's phase 2 data. If you look at the graph and see you've misadjusted, the difference between 4 mg and 8-12 mg in weight per 48 weeks isn't linear, but it's trivial: -17.8% vs -24%. That's 6-7 points that can't be explained by more GLP alone.

What you have to say about the experience:

Personally, I never went past 2.5 mg per week and the results were spectacular, even more so than he hoped to get from the shot. Body composition, room, energy—all in line with what is promised. As if in practical terms it's enough to acquire that no falta llegar a 4 mg for very good results, and much less in someone starting from a moderate weight and with a decent response to the compound. The idea that "for 4 mg deduction is more likely" is clearly false if it is believed to pass into the heart of real people.

Where I do think caution is needed is in selling the opposite idea—that dose doesn't matter or that the glucagon component burns equally across the whole range. The data suggested that you scale, and the interesting question isn't "is 4 mg magic?" (it isn't), but rather "what is the minimum effective dose for each profile?" And it's probably more likely that people will take care of it, even if it's all people with less insulin resistance, it's just like that in point 2.

In summary: taking 4 mg does not contain magic or the minimum obligatorio, in order to minimize the importance of the dose-response in the different component of the drug.
 
deleted.user.26 said:

Responses clearly vary from person to person. I've been taking 1mg for close to 11 weeks. My starting weight was 328, and I'm down 25lbs (7.6%, which beats the trial figures for 1mg), plus my waist has shrunk by 4 inches, so in my case 1mg seems to be handling visceral fat quite effectively too. That said, I've also changed how I eat and I train 3 times per week. It all adds up.
Yeah, back when I weighed more and these meds weren't around yet, even small tweaks to what I ate plus moving more produced massive changes. It's refreshing that you're not rushing the process. My guess is Reta is doing very little for you right now and most of it comes down to your own work, nice job. Down the road it'll get harder, and that's the point where a higher dose becomes necessary, or maybe it won't. I reached a solid spot (dropped 100lbs and held it for 8 years) prior to GLP1s existing, but once I stalled out and gained 40lbs back, I figured there was no reason to make it harder on myself. Glad I went that route, since besides helping me lose weight, it wiped out the osteoarthritis in my hips and knees completely. I haven't needed an Ibuprophen since not long after I started, which makes staying active far easier.
 
Back
Top