That Unwanted Oops Notification

CandyCap said:

pnewb said:

CandyCap said:

pnewb said:

Was the link soliciting happening in some other place, or do the 2 questions brought up in this thread’s opening post count as soliciting?

In the brief period I’ve spent here, I believe I’ve gone through quite a lot, yet I still have no idea what either of those terms means. Asking for an explanation of what something is looks like a reasonable move, quite different from requesting access or direction toward those things.
The issue is this: because you aren't aware of what your original post was inquiring about, you don't actually know what you're asking about. We can't talk about those things with you, so you'll have to wait for your No Source Discussion to be lifted. Once that happens, you'll understand what they mean.
I'm not the person who started this thread. And asking about those 2 things isn't something I'm doing now, nor have I ever done it.

I realize this is sensitive territory, and I'm not attempting to play rules lawyer. My reason for asking Zippity was mainly to confirm I wasn't jumping in to back someone who had acted badly where I couldn't see it, and was now untruthfully saying they were innocent.

In this thread, what I observe is a person who seems to be making a genuine effort to grasp the system and operate inside it. Yet they're receiving punishment (or at minimum, a scolding) for lacking knowledge about things they had no way of knowing. Operating in that kind of setting is hard.

At this size, moderating is tough. I understand that. Lots of people here display tremendous patience when the same questions come up over and over, seemingly forever, and I'm truly thankful for the info being shared, and for the real willingness shown to help newcomers join not only this community, but all that it stands for. I'm really grateful.

Expecting people to follow rules that haven't been spelled out strikes me as unfair, and it seems like there might be a chance here to make things clearer for new members. Being forced to figure out the rules backwards by repeatedly running into a "you can't post that" notice is clunky, and it doesn't appear consistent with all the other things this group does to teach, inform, and keep people safe and growing.

That's the whole point I'm attempting to make.
What you are failing to grasp is that a solid knuckle rap can come our way as well.
I’m not tracking what you mean at all, and guessing could make me misrepresent you, so I’d prefer you spell it out. Can you say more?
 
Just stick to the rules. Otherwise. I heard the mods stick people in the Chokey.

0939d4cf9601754fe4aa3fb190a4a58e8e403522e9aa6e37c697f10ae143a302.webp
 
Rdg1970 said:

ZippityDooDah said:

Rdg1970 said:

Vriende said:

When you're just getting started, these guides are simple to overlook -- a lot of information is covered right here -




New Member Posting Guide



On this page you'll find details about new member posting policies and limitations.

View attachment 11367


GLP1Chat.com




Forum Rules



All members are required by the forum to follow these rules.

View attachment 11367


GLP1Chat.com
I went through all of it, and I don’t think I broke any rules
Seems that's not the case.

Rdg1970 said:

Gr33dyOctopus said:

Rdg1970 said:

Vriende said:

When you're just getting started, these guides are simple to overlook -- a lot of information is covered right here -




New Member Posting Guide



On this page you'll find details about new member posting policies and limitations.

View attachment 11367


GLP1Chat.com




Forum Rules



All members are required by the forum to follow these rules.

View attachment 11367


GLP1Chat.com
I went through all of it, and I don’t think I broke any rules
If no rules were being broken, you wouldn't be getting flagged in this community.
That answer really helps. Could you point out which rules my 2 questions violated? I’d appreciate the clarification.
Requesting links, which breaks rule 1F of the Forum Rules.
I requested definitions for John and Joes along with data mining, and I don't see any request for links
Every piece of content that the moderation bot reviews is visible to me, and your requests for a Discord link came through more than once.

As for John and Joe, I have no clue who they are. The spam mitigation and replacement wording around data mining sites exists because some sites are known for — or have a track record of — collecting data from the members and visitors who use them, which is why mentioning or linking to those sites is not allowed here.
 
pnewb said:

Was the link soliciting happening in some other place, or do the 2 questions brought up in this thread’s opening post count as soliciting?

In the brief period I’ve spent here, I believe I’ve gone through quite a lot, yet I still have no idea what either of those terms means. Asking for an explanation of what something is looks like a reasonable move, quite different from requesting access or direction toward those things.
If a person submits a type of content that the moderation bot checks, an "Oops" popup appears, letting them know something is wrong with what they wrote, and the post is blocked from going through. That's the reason the problematic material never shows up publicly. Even so, I'm able to view the whole thing in the logs.
 
5byfive said:

Let's face it — those filters are pretty bad. You might be writing a post about something completely fine, and the spam filter still catches you. So you start hunting for which word set it off, and instead you get the prohibited content warning. Without changing a thing, you press enter once more, and the spam filter triggers again. Then you send the very same message a third time, and suddenly it posts.

Sure, it weeds out the faint-hearted, but what a pain. Back when I was new, whenever I was sure nothing in my message broke any rule, I'd hit submit 2 or 3 times, and quite often it would finally go through. You're not crazy. Just stick with it, and you'll reach the next level.
The bots handling content moderation and spam mitigation are far from flawless. Even so, they take on a huge share of the workload — work that would otherwise call for 20+ moderators on staff — and they stop the overwhelming majority of junk and spam posts from flooding the feed that regular members and visitors see. On top of that, they help uphold the No Source Discussion rules for new members.

If I'm being honest, I'd rather live in a world where none of this was needed. But situations arise every day that make it obvious this is a necessary evil.
 
On a fresh platform, the smoothest approach is simply to roll with things...When you hit a stop sign, the smart move is to halt rather than shove forward...Plenty of material and knowledge exists here to shift toward instead, so there's no reason for beginner frustration threads...YMMV
 
ZippityDooDah said:

5byfive said:

Let's face it — those filters are pretty bad. You might be writing a post about something completely fine, and the spam filter still catches you. So you start hunting for which word set it off, and instead you get the prohibited content warning. Without changing a thing, you press enter once more, and the spam filter triggers again. Then you send the very same message a third time, and suddenly it posts.

Sure, it weeds out the faint-hearted, but what a pain. Back when I was new, whenever I was sure nothing in my message broke any rule, I'd hit submit 2 or 3 times, and quite often it would finally go through. You're not crazy. Just stick with it, and you'll reach the next level.
The bots handling content moderation and spam mitigation are far from flawless. Even so, they take on a huge share of the workload — work that would otherwise call for 20+ moderators on staff — and they stop the overwhelming majority of junk and spam posts from flooding the feed that regular members and visitors see. On top of that, they help uphold the No Source Discussion rules for new members.

If I'm being honest, I'd rather live in a world where none of this was needed. But situations arise every day that make it obvious this is a necessary evil.
The reason this isn't Reddit comes down to the filters plus the effort you put in, and I'm grateful for it. You've created a solid community, which proves you're getting plenty right. Thanks.
 
BNLFL said:

Rdg1970 said:

ZippityDooDah said:

Rdg1970 said:

Vriende said:

When you're just getting started, these guides are simple to overlook -- a lot of information is covered right here -




New Member Posting Guide



On this page you'll find details about new member posting policies and limitations.

View attachment 11367


GLP1Chat.com




Forum Rules



All members are required by the forum to follow these rules.

View attachment 11367


GLP1Chat.com
I went through all of it, and I don’t think I broke any rules
Seems that's not the case.

Rdg1970 said:

Gr33dyOctopus said:

Rdg1970 said:

Vriende said:

When you're just getting started, these guides are simple to overlook -- a lot of information is covered right here -




New Member Posting Guide



On this page you'll find details about new member posting policies and limitations.

View attachment 11367


GLP1Chat.com




Forum Rules



All members are required by the forum to follow these rules.

View attachment 11367


GLP1Chat.com
I went through all of it, and I don’t think I broke any rules
If no rules were being broken, you wouldn't be getting flagged in this community.
That answer really helps. Could you point out which rules my 2 questions violated? I’d appreciate the clarification.
Requesting links, which breaks rule 1F of the Forum Rules.
I requested definitions for John and Joes along with data mining, and I don't see any request for links
I honestly didn't read your post closely. My inbox is flooded with people asking me to share GB links with members—they're looking for freebies instead of putting in the effort. That's probably because I've talked about everything I purchase through GB.
Thanks so much for sharing your purchases. Because of that, I got curious and tracked them down. It's not complicated. You just head into vendor discords/tgs, ask questions, and take it from there. I'm not sure. At this point I can't really recall how I came across everything.
 
pnewb said:

There's a sort of catch-22 at play: certain subjects are off-limits for discussion, yet they're never spelled out clearly. So you can't readily find them on your own, and you can't just come out and ask either.

On top of that, some automatic swaps get applied to posts (the scammers at…, some lady and her ai ghost writer, data mining…) which sit in an odd gray zone. Talking about them is sort of possible, but figuring out precisely what people mean is hard until you piece it together from context or run into someone who does some s1lly t3xt repl@cing to dodge the auto replacements. That person is usually honoring the spirit of the rules while disregarding the letter of them.

You (and I!) are also new enough that even more topics are closed off to us than to longer-standing members. That part is somewhat simpler to work out, and it might be one of the reasons you're getting flagged.

Honestly, I haven't managed to work out either of the things you asked about in the original post, but at least I can offer some sympathy, and maybe what I've written above helps you see it as the system being a bit confusing rather than something wrong with you specifically.
There's a peculiar Easter egg thing going on with this forum — words get swapped out in inventive ways, and Zippity covered some of the reasons why above.

For me, searching eats up far more time than actually posting does, and I've discovered that nearly every question already has an answer somewhere.

Maybe that makes me a masochist, but honestly I enjoy it — it's like working through a puzzle, hunting down those terms until the answer turns up. Everything you need is right there.

My purchases come from a vendor that hardly gets a mention these days -- using the whole setup is a puzzle in its own right. Still, cracking it was enjoyable.
 
I have to agree with this. These days, only 2 forums get regular visits from me — this one and another with a somewhat different focus. Spam, AI, and similar content have made plenty of platforms and forums unreadable at this point. The people here are also a solid bunch (we won’t get into the Smitter AI or not side thread). Nicely done.
 
Vriende said:

pnewb said:

There's a sort of catch-22 at play: certain subjects are off-limits for discussion, yet they're never spelled out clearly. So you can't readily find them on your own, and you can't just come out and ask either.

On top of that, some automatic swaps get applied to posts (the scammers at…, some lady and her ai ghost writer, data mining…) which sit in an odd gray zone. Talking about them is sort of possible, but figuring out precisely what people mean is hard until you piece it together from context or run into someone who does some s1lly t3xt repl@cing to dodge the auto replacements. That person is usually honoring the spirit of the rules while disregarding the letter of them.

You (and I!) are also new enough that even more topics are closed off to us than to longer-standing members. That part is somewhat simpler to work out, and it might be one of the reasons you're getting flagged.

Honestly, I haven't managed to work out either of the things you asked about in the original post, but at least I can offer some sympathy, and maybe what I've written above helps you see it as the system being a bit confusing rather than something wrong with you specifically.
There's a peculiar Easter egg thing going on with this forum — words get swapped out in inventive ways, and Zippity covered some of the reasons why above.

For me, searching eats up far more time than actually posting does, and I've discovered that nearly every question already has an answer somewhere.

Maybe that makes me a masochist, but honestly I enjoy it — it's like working through a puzzle, hunting down those terms until the answer turns up. Everything you need is right there.

My purchases come from a vendor that hardly gets a mention these days -- using the whole setup is a puzzle in its own right. Still, cracking it was enjoyable.
Maybe a glutton for punishment…or possibly somewhat neuro-spicy. Count me in the same group. Before I ever posted anything here, I believe I spent 2 months reading. The amount of solid material was so large that there was no need for me to declare my lack of knowledge in public—I could simply consume a lot.

And my sense is that with enough time and some inventive searching, most items can be uncovered, though all items are not always among them. I remained completely unaware of who the woman with the AI ghost writer was until another forum revealed it. As it happens, knowing her name or having gone through what she (or the LLM) published leaves me no better off…so for the time being I am fine with not knowing some of the remaining things either.
 
headward said:

BNLFL said:

Rdg1970 said:

ZippityDooDah said:

Rdg1970 said:

Vriende said:

When you're just getting started, these guides are simple to overlook -- a lot of information is covered right here -




New Member Posting Guide



On this page you'll find details about new member posting policies and limitations.

View attachment 11367


GLP1Chat.com




Forum Rules



All members are required by the forum to follow these rules.

View attachment 11367


GLP1Chat.com
I went through all of it, and I don’t think I broke any rules
Seems that's not the case.

Rdg1970 said:

Gr33dyOctopus said:

Rdg1970 said:

Vriende said:

When you're just getting started, these guides are simple to overlook -- a lot of information is covered right here -




New Member Posting Guide



On this page you'll find details about new member posting policies and limitations.

View attachment 11367


GLP1Chat.com




Forum Rules



All members are required by the forum to follow these rules.

View attachment 11367


GLP1Chat.com
I went through all of it, and I don’t think I broke any rules
If no rules were being broken, you wouldn't be getting flagged in this community.
That answer really helps. Could you point out which rules my 2 questions violated? I’d appreciate the clarification.
Requesting links, which breaks rule 1F of the Forum Rules.
I requested definitions for John and Joes along with data mining, and I don't see any request for links
I honestly didn't read your post closely. My inbox is flooded with people asking me to share GB links with members—they're looking for freebies instead of putting in the effort. That's probably because I've talked about everything I purchase through GB.
Thanks so much for sharing your purchases. Because of that, I got curious and tracked them down. It's not complicated. You just head into vendor discords/tgs, ask questions, and take it from there. I'm not sure. At this point I can't really recall how I came across everything.
As you're aware, I steer clear of links. It's not a difficult thing to do, yet my inbox keeps filling up with newcomers asking for freebies and GB invitations. A handful of us—yourself included among the veteran crowd—do pass some along. Being "accepted," I suppose, feels like a stroke of luck. What wears on me is the endless stream of newbs expecting to be spoon feed. This image gets plenty of use from me as a quiet nod to exactly that.





f4fc03a41ef10be26975859386df7a61d9ee4d4fe4f4de45aaf668b81317dd8c.gif
 
headward said:

BNLFL said:

Rdg1970 said:

ZippityDooDah said:

Rdg1970 said:

Vriende said:

When you're just getting started, these guides are simple to overlook -- a lot of information is covered right here -




New Member Posting Guide



On this page you'll find details about new member posting policies and limitations.

View attachment 11367


GLP1Chat.com




Forum Rules



All members are required by the forum to follow these rules.

View attachment 11367


GLP1Chat.com
I went through all of it, and I don’t think I broke any rules
Seems that's not the case.

Rdg1970 said:

Gr33dyOctopus said:

Rdg1970 said:

Vriende said:

When you're just getting started, these guides are simple to overlook -- a lot of information is covered right here -




New Member Posting Guide



On this page you'll find details about new member posting policies and limitations.

View attachment 11367


GLP1Chat.com




Forum Rules



All members are required by the forum to follow these rules.

View attachment 11367


GLP1Chat.com
I went through all of it, and I don’t think I broke any rules
If no rules were being broken, you wouldn't be getting flagged in this community.
That answer really helps. Could you point out which rules my 2 questions violated? I’d appreciate the clarification.
Requesting links, which breaks rule 1F of the Forum Rules.
I requested definitions for John and Joes along with data mining, and I don't see any request for links
I honestly didn't read your post closely. My inbox is flooded with people asking me to share GB links with members—they're looking for freebies instead of putting in the effort. That's probably because I've talked about everything I purchase through GB.
Thanks so much for sharing your purchases. Because of that, I got curious and tracked them down. It's not complicated. You just head into vendor discords/tgs, ask questions, and take it from there. I'm not sure. At this point I can't really recall how I came across everything.
So my personal saying turned into: what sort of existence do you even have if Telegram (TG) isn't where you spend your time, haha. Still, I was caught off guard by how willing folks on TG are to lend a hand. For instance, whenever you spot a person bringing up a GB group on TG, chances are they'll send an invite your way provided you DM them politely.
 
Calm Logic said:

headward said:

BNLFL said:

Rdg1970 said:

ZippityDooDah said:

Rdg1970 said:

Vriende said:

When you're just getting started, these guides are simple to overlook -- a lot of information is covered right here -




New Member Posting Guide



On this page you'll find details about new member posting policies and limitations.

View attachment 11367


GLP1Chat.com




Forum Rules



All members are required by the forum to follow these rules.

View attachment 11367


GLP1Chat.com
I went through all of it, and I don’t think I broke any rules
Seems that's not the case.

Rdg1970 said:

Gr33dyOctopus said:

Rdg1970 said:

Vriende said:

When you're just getting started, these guides are simple to overlook -- a lot of information is covered right here -




New Member Posting Guide



On this page you'll find details about new member posting policies and limitations.

View attachment 11367


GLP1Chat.com




Forum Rules



All members are required by the forum to follow these rules.

View attachment 11367


GLP1Chat.com
I went through all of it, and I don’t think I broke any rules
If no rules were being broken, you wouldn't be getting flagged in this community.
That answer really helps. Could you point out which rules my 2 questions violated? I’d appreciate the clarification.
Requesting links, which breaks rule 1F of the Forum Rules.
I requested definitions for John and Joes along with data mining, and I don't see any request for links
I honestly didn't read your post closely. My inbox is flooded with people asking me to share GB links with members—they're looking for freebies instead of putting in the effort. That's probably because I've talked about everything I purchase through GB.
Thanks so much for sharing your purchases. Because of that, I got curious and tracked them down. It's not complicated. You just head into vendor discords/tgs, ask questions, and take it from there. I'm not sure. At this point I can't really recall how I came across everything.
So my personal saying turned into: what sort of existence do you even have if Telegram (TG) isn't where you spend your time, haha. Still, I was caught off guard by how willing folks on TG are to lend a hand. For instance, whenever you spot a person bringing up a GB group on TG, chances are they'll send an invite your way provided you DM them politely.
I haven't visited for 2 days, though I've left it open and plan to drop in shortly.
 
ZippityDooDah said:

Rdg1970 said:

Vriende said:

When you're just getting started, these guides are simple to overlook -- a lot of information is covered right here -




New Member Posting Guide



On this page you'll find details about new member posting policies and limitations.

View attachment 11367


GLP1Chat.com




Forum Rules



All members are required by the forum to follow these rules.

View attachment 11367


GLP1Chat.com
I went through all of it, and I don’t think I broke any rules
Seems that's not the case.

Rdg1970 said:

Gr33dyOctopus said:

Rdg1970 said:

Vriende said:

When you're just getting started, these guides are simple to overlook -- a lot of information is covered right here -




New Member Posting Guide



On this page you'll find details about new member posting policies and limitations.

View attachment 11367


GLP1Chat.com




Forum Rules



All members are required by the forum to follow these rules.

View attachment 11367


GLP1Chat.com
I went through all of it, and I don’t think I broke any rules
If no rules were being broken, you wouldn't be getting flagged in this community.
That answer really helps. Could you point out which rules my 2 questions violated? I’d appreciate the clarification.
Requesting links, which breaks rule 1F of the Forum Rules.
My Space? Seriously, Zippity — hand over your My Space account. 😆
 
Back
Top