Telegram 101

Shittersfull

Explorer
Joined
Jul 4, 2026
Messages
357
Reaction score
0
Location
Washington
I’m not a fan of telegram. Maybe that’s just because I haven’t figured out how to use it properly? I only just found out there’s a paid subscription option for it. What I’d like to do is set up a folder for backup groups, another for vendors I’m interested in trying, one for vendors I’ve tried and liked, one for vendors to avoid, and so on. There are plenty of youtube videos about using telegram, but none of them seem to line up with the version I have. Could those videos be covering the paid version? Is the paid version worth paying for? Could someone point me toward a good tg 101 youtube? I’m not tech-savvy at all—I don’t even have a computer.
 
I can't point you to a helpful YT video.

Creating folders does not require a Premium upgrade.

Open your settings

Tap Chat Folders

Set up whichever folders you need

Put channels into those folders

Save

Voilà!

In my experience, folders make things somewhat easier to handle. The platform isn't amazing, but for me it beats Discord and similar options. When it comes to buying from vendors and middlemen, WA is the absolute worst.
 
Shittersfull said:

I’m not a fan of telegram. Maybe that’s just because I haven’t figured out how to use it properly? I only just found out there’s a paid subscription option for it. What I’d like to do is set up a folder for backup groups, another for vendors I’m interested in trying, one for vendors I’ve tried and liked, one for vendors to avoid, and so on. There are plenty of youtube videos about using telegram, but none of them seem to line up with the version I have. Could those videos be covering the paid version? Is the paid version worth paying for? Could someone point me toward a good tg 101 youtube? I’m not tech-savvy at all—I don’t even have a computer.
Is a phone what you're working from? @HereKittyKitty works only from a phone, while for things like TG, Amazon and others I can't stand them. What exactly is going wrong? Every morning I go through it without any trouble. Is the trouble in locating the groups and getting inside them? That's because invites are needed for most of them, and normally the person handing you that invite is someone already in the group.
 
Shittersfull said:

I’m not a fan of telegram. Maybe that’s just because I haven’t figured out how to use it properly? I only just found out there’s a paid subscription option for it. What I’d like to do is set up a folder for backup groups, another for vendors I’m interested in trying, one for vendors I’ve tried and liked, one for vendors to avoid, and so on. There are plenty of youtube videos about using telegram, but none of them seem to line up with the version I have. Could those videos be covering the paid version? Is the paid version worth paying for? Could someone point me toward a good tg 101 youtube? I’m not tech-savvy at all—I don’t even have a computer.
I couldn't phrase it any better. It's chaotic and visually cluttered. It's difficult to figure out if you're viewing messages from just one group or from every group at once. Posts are ordered by recency, not alphabetically or by any other logical method. On a phone rather than a computer screen, the interface gets particularly jam-packed with clutter.

Even so, with time it becomes familiar and you start to like it. Making folders is the greatest approach, and it costs nothing. Make a folder named "Favorites" or whatever else feels right to you. Place every group you genuinely value inside it. Then you could make another for private conversations (not groups). Just never look at the default "All" folder.
 
HereKittyKitty said:

I can't point you to a helpful YT video.

Creating folders does not require a Premium upgrade.

Open your settings

Tap Chat Folders

Set up whichever folders you need

Put channels into those folders

Save

Voilà!

In my experience, folders make things somewhat easier to handle. The platform isn't amazing, but for me it beats Discord and similar options. When it comes to buying from vendors and middlemen, WA is the absolute worst.
That sounds like what I'll be doing this morning....Yep, my chat folders have gotten out of hand. I've attempted to trim them down, but using folders really does make sense...
 
BNLFL said:


Are you using a phone? @HereKittyKitty only uses a phone, and I hate them for stuff like TG, Amazon and other. What's are the issues? I cruise it with no problem every morning. Are you having problems finding and getting into the groups? Because most you invites, and that usually comes from someone who is already a member of that group.

Click to expand...
Yep, mobile is my only device. I should have said that earlier. Appreciate it @BNLFL!
 
HereKittyKitty said:

I can't point you to a helpful YT video.

Creating folders does not require a Premium upgrade.

Open your settings

Tap Chat Folders

Set up whichever folders you need

Put channels into those folders

Save

Voilà!

In my experience, folders make things somewhat easier to handle. The platform isn't amazing, but for me it beats Discord and similar options. When it comes to buying from vendors and middlemen, WA is the absolute worst.
This is really useful. I'll give it a shot later today. Thanks.
 
BNLFL said:


Are you using a phone? @HereKittyKitty only uses a phone, and I hate them for stuff like TG, Amazon and other. What's are the issues? I cruise it with no problem every morning. Are you having problems finding and getting into the groups? Because most you invites, and that usually comes from someone who is already a member of that group.

Click to expand...
Correct, it only works on a phone. The main issue is sorting things into categories. That ought to improve very soon, thanks herekittykitty!

Take this situation I keep running into: at times I'll tap a group and it takes me straight into 1 particular chat inside that group. I'd rather check out another chat in the same group. So I press back, and it drops me onto my main screen showing every group I have. I repeat the same attempt again and again. From my main screen listing all my groups, I land right in 1 specific chat of that group. I gave swiping a shot, but that ended up removing the group, and now I have no idea how to recover it. I got so annoyed that I can't even remember which group it was!

The part about needing an invite to join clears things up. I had begun to suspect that's the way it works.
 
Shittersfull said:


Yes, phone only. Categorizing is the biggest one. That's should be better real soon, thank you herekittykitty!

Here's an example of a problem I have: Sometimes I open a group and a specific chat within the group is directly opened. I want to look at a different chat within the group. So I hit the back button and I go back to my main page, with lists of all my groups. I try it over and over again. I go strait from my main page with all my groups, to a specific chat within that group. I tried swipping, that just deleted the group, now I cannot figure out how to get that group back. I'm so frustrated I forgot what group it even was!

The invite only to get in, explanation is helpful. I was starting to think, that's how it works.

Click to expand...
Is that group not findable through your history? Weren't you the one who reached out to me about a group before? Send me a message and I'll share my primary ones—you're putting in real effort and aren't looking for everything handed to you. I won't be available until later, so a reply from me may take some time.
 
BNLFL said:


You can't go to history and find that group? Didn't you message me before about a group. Message me I'll tell my main ones, you actually try and don't want to be spoon fed. I won't be around till later, so it might take a while for me to reply.

Click to expand...
She's a friend of mine and she's helpful.
 
Shittersfull said:


Yes, phone only. Categorizing is the biggest one. That's should be better real soon, thank you herekittykitty!

Here's an example of a problem I have: Sometimes I open a group and a specific chat within the group is directly opened. I want to look at a different chat within the group. So I hit the back button and I go back to my main page, with lists of all my groups. I try it over and over again. I go strait from my main page with all my groups, to a specific chat within that group. I tried swipping, that just deleted the group, now I cannot figure out how to get that group back. I'm so frustrated I forgot what group it even was!

The invite only to get in, explanation is helpful. I was starting to think, that's how it works.

Click to expand...
As far as I can tell, which particular topic or chat you land in within a channel depends on the spot you tap.

On our phones, tapping the group icon over on the left side brings you into the group as a whole. If instead you tap the message itself, or tap over on the right side of the phone screen, you end up in the chat inside that group where the message was posted.
 
I still haven't given Telegram a shot — not once in my life. Sounds like yet another thing I'll need to figure out!
 
HereKittyKitty said:


The entering to a specific topic/chat in a channel is based on where we click - best I can understand.

Clicking on the group icon on the left side of the screen on our phones takes us to the group itself. Clicking on the message or on the right side of the phone screen takes us to the chat in the group where the message is posted.

Click to expand...
The same holds true for a computer.
 
HereKittyKitty said:


The entering to a specific topic/chat in a channel is based on where we click - best I can understand.

Clicking on the group icon on the left side of the screen on our phones takes us to the group itself. Clicking on the message or on the right side of the phone screen takes us to the chat in the group where the message is posted.

Click to expand...
Wow, that was my only mistake. Much appreciated. Today's word: "troglodite" — that describes me.
 
Shittersfull said:


Omg, that's all I was doing wrong. Thank you. Word of the day "troglodite", that's me.

Click to expand...
The same issue was happening to me. It took me far longer than it should have to realize that the icon was what needed clicking, rather than the message.
 
cheaperseeker said:


I was having the same problem. It took me way too long to figure out that I had to click on the icon, not the message.

Click to expand...
I'm in the same boat. Searching for topics inside TG chats drove me up the wall, until someone pointed out that the kabob menu sits in the top right corner and "topics" is just one tap away. That tip came from Gemini, of all places. These days, whenever something confuses me, my first instinct is to ask Gemini.

Along the way I also picked up the names: the 3 vertical dots go by kabob menu, and the 3 horizontal lines are known as the hamburger menu.
 
Bioexplorer said:


That is also when I learned that the 3 vertical dots are called the kabob menu and the 3 horizontal lines are called the hamburger menu.

Click to expand...
Learning about the kabob menu is a first for me, though I was already aware that a hamburger menu might be on the way. It's logical, really.
 
After creating your own folders (Groupbuys, Vendors, Supplies, Forums, Bots, Backups*, Back-burnered):

  1. Put every server into one of those folders, and take each one out of "Unread"
  2. Set every server to "mute" as the default, then turn the sound back on for Announcements (or something like that) and anything you specifically care about, such as a buy that is currently running
  3. Inside any custom folder (except the All folder, which is capped at 5 in the free version), you can "pin" essentially as many servers as you want to the top of the list ... which is the nearest thing to sorting that you will get.
On the whole, right-click does the job on a PC browser, while long-press does the job inside the apps.

*almost every server keeps one or more backup servers, frequently on the same platform (Telegram here) and/or on another one (Discord, Root, Signal, Whatsapp, etc.). Not one of them was actually designed for what the grey market needs, and every one of them is a pain.
 
Back
Top