Switching from Tirzepatide to Reta

Venne

Explorer
Joined
May 26, 2026
Messages
12
Reaction score
0
Location
NOLA
I'm considering making the move from Tirzepatide over to Reta.

What I'm aiming for is to stop losing more muscle, and ideally regain some of the muscle I've already lost while on Tirz.

Does anyone have advice for figuring out an equivalent Reta dose when I'm currently on 15mg (Zepbound) weekly?

Is there a chart available somewhere? A general rule of thumb, or would it be better to begin at the lowest Reta dose and work my way up again?

I'd also appreciate tips and suggestions for stacks that pair well with Reta.
 
Hate to say it, but Reta won't restore any muscle you've lost. You can achieve that without dealing with the trouble of changing over (and moving off a high triz dose takes time).

Simply lower your present triz dose so you're able to meet your protein goals and start lifting heavy things.
 
WholesomeApril said:

Hate to say it, but Reta won't restore any muscle you've lost. You can achieve that without dealing with the trouble of changing over (and moving off a high triz dose takes time).

Simply lower your present triz dose so you're able to meet your protein goals and start lifting heavy things.
Honestly, when it comes to lifting heavy things, I don't really know what I'm doing. How should someone begin? And how much protein would be the right amount to take in?
 
Reta and Tirz don’t have a dose equivalence, since their affinities for the GLP-1 and GIP receptors differ. On top of that, Reta acts as a glucagon receptor agonist while Tirz does not. That makes them genuinely non-comparable — enough so that some individuals, me included, take them together (type 2 diabetes).

Begin with low Reta doses (1 to ~2 mg) to observe which side effects show up for you. After that, keep raising the dose in 4-week increments until a steady state is reached, which lets you judge the results against your goals.

The newest meta-analysis on sarcopenia, or muscle loss, which came out a few weeks ago, advises 1.2 grams of net protein per kilogram of body weight per day. The kilogram figure you use should be your target weight, not the weight you currently have. Muscle mass and skeletal muscle mass appear on most modern scales. Let that be your guide (it will also help you work out whether your weight goal is realistic and doesn’t put your health at risk).

If tough weight-training sessions aren’t your cup of tea, there’s no need to think about them.

Each day, do a few minutes of controlled eccentric movements with weights. While at work, take breaks and use 3-4 minutes for eccentric movements, resistance band exercises, wall sits, or similar exercises.

I even did them on the subway or the bus, anywhere whenever I had some time to kill, using the bars (I come from a family of firefighters, not pole dancers ;-) and did a few wall sits instead of using a seat.
 
I'll back up what was said: the research doesn't really back the idea that moving from tirz to reta does a better job of protecting muscle.

What actually matters is resistance training of some sort, plus eating more protein. My own figure would be 1.5g/kg of body weight, though the poster above puts it at 1.2, and either one works.

Losing muscle while shedding weight isn't ideal, but in real-world terms it's basically a non-issue, unless you're already starting out with very little muscle mass. Most people who are overweight or obese are carrying extra muscle, partly because overnutrition puts them in an anabolic state and partly because hauling a heavier body demands it. So when weight comes off with GLP's, dropping some muscle along with the fat has been shown to clearly improve day-to-day physical performance, since a lighter body needs less muscle to move. During my own weight loss from 115kg down to 75 kg, it was completely obvious to me climbing a hill that each 10 kilos I shed made an enormous difference to how much effort that hill took, even though I lost some muscle along the way.
 
lessthanhalf said:

I'll back up what was said: the research doesn't really back the idea that moving from tirz to reta does a better job of protecting muscle.

What actually matters is resistance training of some sort, plus eating more protein. My own figure would be 1.5g/kg of body weight, though the poster above puts it at 1.2, and either one works.

Losing muscle while shedding weight isn't ideal, but in real-world terms it's basically a non-issue, unless you're already starting out with very little muscle mass. Most people who are overweight or obese are carrying extra muscle, partly because overnutrition puts them in an anabolic state and partly because hauling a heavier body demands it. So when weight comes off with GLP's, dropping some muscle along with the fat has been shown to clearly improve day-to-day physical performance, since a lighter body needs less muscle to move. During my own weight loss from 115kg down to 75 kg, it was completely obvious to me climbing a hill that each 10 kilos I shed made an enormous difference to how much effort that hill took, even though I lost some muscle along the way.
That comment about muscle loss came from what I saw here:

Still, I'll admit it likely doesn't matter much, since the amount of muscle lost isn't terrible.
 
eidos said:

Reta and Tirz don’t have a dose equivalence, since their affinities for the GLP-1 and GIP receptors differ. On top of that, Reta acts as a glucagon receptor agonist while Tirz does not. That makes them genuinely non-comparable — enough so that some individuals, me included, take them together (type 2 diabetes).

Begin with low Reta doses (1 to ~2 mg) to observe which side effects show up for you. After that, keep raising the dose in 4-week increments until a steady state is reached, which lets you judge the results against your goals.

The newest meta-analysis on sarcopenia, or muscle loss, which came out a few weeks ago, advises 1.2 grams of net protein per kilogram of body weight per day. The kilogram figure you use should be your target weight, not the weight you currently have. Muscle mass and skeletal muscle mass appear on most modern scales. Let that be your guide (it will also help you work out whether your weight goal is realistic and doesn’t put your health at risk).

If tough weight-training sessions aren’t your cup of tea, there’s no need to think about them.

Each day, do a few minutes of controlled eccentric movements with weights. While at work, take breaks and use 3-4 minutes for eccentric movements, resistance band exercises, wall sits, or similar exercises.

I even did them on the subway or the bus, anywhere whenever I had some time to kill, using the bars (I come from a family of firefighters, not pole dancers ;-) and did a few wall sits instead of using a seat.
Thanks, generous stranger.

Given how clueless I was about resistance training, I figured I'd get at least a bit of sarcasm or gentle ribbing.

Your response turned out to be genuinely useful, and I really do appreciate it.
 
Venne said:


I was basing that bit about muscle loss from this:

But I concede it is probably a moot point as the muscle loss is not horrific.

Click to expand...
Watching medical content in video form is something I cannot tolerate, yet even with the credentials printed on his top, this individual should not be using the medication, was never the intended patient group, and no scientific studies exist covering GLP drug use among people who are neither overweight nor diabetic. Since he plainly does not carry excess weight, taking the drug cannot be medically justified, no matter what doctorate appears on his clothing. Consequently, whatever happened in a person who ought not to be on it tells us nothing relevant to those who take the drug for obesity treatment.

GLP-related muscle loss is a genuine concern, though it mainly arises when someone begins with sarcopenia or sarcopenic obesity, which makes it a particular problem for much older individuals at high sarcopenia risk, or for those with severe chronic illness alongside obesity. The majority of obese people, even when unfit, hold more muscle than average. On top of that, GLP drugs markedly enhance muscle quality, cutting intramuscular fat and boosting its efficiency even when it shrinks somewhat. And in real terms, the weight loss by itself transforms physical functioning enormously.
 
lessthanhalf said:

I'll back up what was said: the research doesn't really back the idea that moving from tirz to reta does a better job of protecting muscle.

What actually matters is resistance training of some sort, plus eating more protein. My own figure would be 1.5g/kg of body weight, though the poster above puts it at 1.2, and either one works.

Losing muscle while shedding weight isn't ideal, but in real-world terms it's basically a non-issue, unless you're already starting out with very little muscle mass. Most people who are overweight or obese are carrying extra muscle, partly because overnutrition puts them in an anabolic state and partly because hauling a heavier body demands it. So when weight comes off with GLP's, dropping some muscle along with the fat has been shown to clearly improve day-to-day physical performance, since a lighter body needs less muscle to move. During my own weight loss from 115kg down to 75 kg, it was completely obvious to me climbing a hill that each 10 kilos I shed made an enormous difference to how much effort that hill took, even though I lost some muscle along the way.
In that paper, it was a minimum.

One more thing I consider crucial: how much protein you take in. Because Tirz and Reta slow gastric emptying, you can run into a range of issues, everything from burps that smell awful to downing too much protein in a single sitting.

What matters here is that the ceiling for most people is 30g-35g of net protein in one meal — that's the most that can be digested at once. Very heavy or very muscular people might manage a bit more. Anything past that point leaves amino acids the body can't turn into protein, and those get processed into ammonia and then urea, or turned into glucose or lipids (it depends on the amino acid), or into ketone bodies. That's usually not a desirable outcome. Liver enzymes can climb, which signals metabolic stress. In some cases it progresses to chronic kidney disease and lifelong dialysis (I saw this happen to a couple of guys at my gym in the ‘80s, though they were on testosterone too, which certainly didn't help).

lessthanhalf said:

I'll back up what was said: the research doesn't really back the idea that moving from tirz to reta does a better job of protecting muscle.

What actually matters is resistance training of some sort, plus eating more protein. My own figure would be 1.5g/kg of body weight, though the poster above puts it at 1.2, and either one works.

Losing muscle while shedding weight isn't ideal, but in real-world terms it's basically a non-issue, unless you're already starting out with very little muscle mass. Most people who are overweight or obese are carrying extra muscle, partly because overnutrition puts them in an anabolic state and partly because hauling a heavier body demands it. So when weight comes off with GLP's, dropping some muscle along with the fat has been shown to clearly improve day-to-day physical performance, since a lighter body needs less muscle to move. During my own weight loss from 115kg down to 75 kg, it was completely obvious to me climbing a hill that each 10 kilos I shed made an enormous difference to how much effort that hill took, even though I lost some muscle along the way.
The year I hit 40, I put on 40 kilograms. Some people fretted over it; others tried to load me with guilt.

My response to them: at 25, walking 40 kilometers with a 40-kilogram backpack was nothing for me. The catch is that in those days I could put the backpack down in the morning and take a break.

You're right — putting weight on and then taking it off is a real journey. Each small win matters and genuinely fuels you. At the moment, checking the projected HbA1c in my CGM app gives me a real lift. I'm actually looking forward to my next blood test.

🙂
 
lessthanhalf said:


I am allergic to watching anything medical that comes in video format, but despite the qualifications written on his shirt, he is not a suitable candidate to be using the drug, and not who it was designed for, and there is no scientific research on the use of GLP drugs in non overweight non diabetics. He is clearly not overweight so its use is not medically justifiable, regardless of the phd on his shirt. So its effects in someone who should not be taking it are not really evidence of anything that applies to people using the drug to treat obesity.

Click to expand...
You're right, and I'd go further: the details he shares are quite opaque, and I spotted multiple problems with how he reasons things out. PCSK9 is what caught my attention. After looking into it, I found nothing in the literature showing any shift in those levels — no studies on Reta even mention this protein, as far as I could tell.

What actually has been shown is LDL going down, not up. My own blood work already confirms this. Maybe the LDL rise he saw is specific to him and comes from some cause unrelated to Reta. Yet that possibility never even enters his thinking — hardly what a rigorous scientist would do.

Honestly, it reads like nothing more than hype.
 
How GLP drugs influence lipids has been studied fairly thoroughly. Whether reta behaves exactly like tirz and sema in this respect I can't confirm, though it seems highly probable, and these drugs do bring LDL down along with lowering the chances of heart attack, stroke and similar events.
 
eidos said:

lessthanhalf said:

I'll back up what was said: the research doesn't really back the idea that moving from tirz to reta does a better job of protecting muscle.

What actually matters is resistance training of some sort, plus eating more protein. My own figure would be 1.5g/kg of body weight, though the poster above puts it at 1.2, and either one works.

Losing muscle while shedding weight isn't ideal, but in real-world terms it's basically a non-issue, unless you're already starting out with very little muscle mass. Most people who are overweight or obese are carrying extra muscle, partly because overnutrition puts them in an anabolic state and partly because hauling a heavier body demands it. So when weight comes off with GLP's, dropping some muscle along with the fat has been shown to clearly improve day-to-day physical performance, since a lighter body needs less muscle to move. During my own weight loss from 115kg down to 75 kg, it was completely obvious to me climbing a hill that each 10 kilos I shed made an enormous difference to how much effort that hill took, even though I lost some muscle along the way.
In that paper, it was a minimum.

One more thing I consider crucial: how much protein you take in. Because Tirz and Reta slow gastric emptying, you can run into a range of issues, everything from burps that smell awful to downing too much protein in a single sitting.

What matters here is that the ceiling for most people is 30g-35g of net protein in one meal — that's the most that can be digested at once. Very heavy or very muscular people might manage a bit more. Anything past that point leaves amino acids the body can't turn into protein, and those get processed into ammonia and then urea, or turned into glucose or lipids (it depends on the amino acid), or into ketone bodies. That's usually not a desirable outcome. Liver enzymes can climb, which signals metabolic stress. In some cases it progresses to chronic kidney disease and lifelong dialysis (I saw this happen to a couple of guys at my gym in the ‘80s, though they were on testosterone too, which certainly didn't help).

lessthanhalf said:

I'll back up what was said: the research doesn't really back the idea that moving from tirz to reta does a better job of protecting muscle.

What actually matters is resistance training of some sort, plus eating more protein. My own figure would be 1.5g/kg of body weight, though the poster above puts it at 1.2, and either one works.

Losing muscle while shedding weight isn't ideal, but in real-world terms it's basically a non-issue, unless you're already starting out with very little muscle mass. Most people who are overweight or obese are carrying extra muscle, partly because overnutrition puts them in an anabolic state and partly because hauling a heavier body demands it. So when weight comes off with GLP's, dropping some muscle along with the fat has been shown to clearly improve day-to-day physical performance, since a lighter body needs less muscle to move. During my own weight loss from 115kg down to 75 kg, it was completely obvious to me climbing a hill that each 10 kilos I shed made an enormous difference to how much effort that hill took, even though I lost some muscle along the way.
The year I hit 40, I put on 40 kilograms. Some people fretted over it; others tried to load me with guilt.

My response to them: at 25, walking 40 kilometers with a 40-kilogram backpack was nothing for me. The catch is that in those days I could put the backpack down in the morning and take a break.

You're right — putting weight on and then taking it off is a real journey. Each small win matters and genuinely fuels you. At the moment, checking the projected HbA1c in my CGM app gives me a real lift. I'm actually looking forward to my next blood test.

🙂
How much protein someone should eat is a fascinating topic, especially for me since protein has made up 40-50% of my calories for almost 4 years now. I struggle to find much solid long-term research on very high protein consumption. Generally, in animal studies, eating less protein (while still getting enough) is tied to living longer, yet human data hints that going higher may guard against sarcopenia, curb muscle loss during weight loss, and aid weight loss by suppressing appetite. Actually reaching protein poisoning is almost unattainable; it would demand an incredibly low intake of fat or carbs. Meanwhile, low protein diets slow the worsening of renal failure.

For roughly 30 years I have dealt with obesity related proteinuria, which almost disappears when I shed weight, and thankfully there is no real sign of progressive kidney damage, but I did worry a bit about how such an extreme protein intake might affect renal function. In my own case, at least, the proteinuria got dramatically better as I went from 145kg down to 75 kg, so there is no indication of renal harm from it, even with the very high protein consumption.

Also, a very high protein intake genuinely helps keep hunger in check. Back in 2022 when I began losing weight, I thought GLP's were impossibly expensive, so I had to do it without them, and my diet was basically low calorific density, low fat, and high protein, with zero highly rewarding / high calorie / high glycemic index carb foods, to try to avoid binge eating responses to those types of food. Luckily I can now get cheap chinese GLPs that assist with hunger, but I have kept up the very high protein intake because of how it controls appetite; with a serious lifelong obesity problem, I am unwilling to give up any edge in managing it.
 
lessthanhalf said:

How GLP drugs influence lipids has been studied fairly thoroughly. Whether reta behaves exactly like tirz and sema in this respect I can't confirm, though it seems highly probable, and these drugs do bring LDL down along with lowering the chances of heart attack, stroke and similar events.

these results suggest that the GCGR agonism of retatrutide could lead to reduced circulating ANGPTL3/8 concentrations, which may then contribute to decreases in TG and LDL‐C levels.

Click to expand...
NCBI link: (https://pmc.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/articles/PMC12409240/)
 
lessthanhalf said:

eidos said:

lessthanhalf said:

I'll back up what was said: the research doesn't really back the idea that moving from tirz to reta does a better job of protecting muscle.

What actually matters is resistance training of some sort, plus eating more protein. My own figure would be 1.5g/kg of body weight, though the poster above puts it at 1.2, and either one works.

Losing muscle while shedding weight isn't ideal, but in real-world terms it's basically a non-issue, unless you're already starting out with very little muscle mass. Most people who are overweight or obese are carrying extra muscle, partly because overnutrition puts them in an anabolic state and partly because hauling a heavier body demands it. So when weight comes off with GLP's, dropping some muscle along with the fat has been shown to clearly improve day-to-day physical performance, since a lighter body needs less muscle to move. During my own weight loss from 115kg down to 75 kg, it was completely obvious to me climbing a hill that each 10 kilos I shed made an enormous difference to how much effort that hill took, even though I lost some muscle along the way.
In that paper, it was a minimum.

One more thing I consider crucial: how much protein you take in. Because Tirz and Reta slow gastric emptying, you can run into a range of issues, everything from burps that smell awful to downing too much protein in a single sitting.

What matters here is that the ceiling for most people is 30g-35g of net protein in one meal — that's the most that can be digested at once. Very heavy or very muscular people might manage a bit more. Anything past that point leaves amino acids the body can't turn into protein, and those get processed into ammonia and then urea, or turned into glucose or lipids (it depends on the amino acid), or into ketone bodies. That's usually not a desirable outcome. Liver enzymes can climb, which signals metabolic stress. In some cases it progresses to chronic kidney disease and lifelong dialysis (I saw this happen to a couple of guys at my gym in the ‘80s, though they were on testosterone too, which certainly didn't help).

lessthanhalf said:

I'll back up what was said: the research doesn't really back the idea that moving from tirz to reta does a better job of protecting muscle.

What actually matters is resistance training of some sort, plus eating more protein. My own figure would be 1.5g/kg of body weight, though the poster above puts it at 1.2, and either one works.

Losing muscle while shedding weight isn't ideal, but in real-world terms it's basically a non-issue, unless you're already starting out with very little muscle mass. Most people who are overweight or obese are carrying extra muscle, partly because overnutrition puts them in an anabolic state and partly because hauling a heavier body demands it. So when weight comes off with GLP's, dropping some muscle along with the fat has been shown to clearly improve day-to-day physical performance, since a lighter body needs less muscle to move. During my own weight loss from 115kg down to 75 kg, it was completely obvious to me climbing a hill that each 10 kilos I shed made an enormous difference to how much effort that hill took, even though I lost some muscle along the way.
The year I hit 40, I put on 40 kilograms. Some people fretted over it; others tried to load me with guilt.

My response to them: at 25, walking 40 kilometers with a 40-kilogram backpack was nothing for me. The catch is that in those days I could put the backpack down in the morning and take a break.

You're right — putting weight on and then taking it off is a real journey. Each small win matters and genuinely fuels you. At the moment, checking the projected HbA1c in my CGM app gives me a real lift. I'm actually looking forward to my next blood test.

🙂
How much protein someone should eat is a fascinating topic, especially for me since protein has made up 40-50% of my calories for almost 4 years now. I struggle to find much solid long-term research on very high protein consumption. Generally, in animal studies, eating less protein (while still getting enough) is tied to living longer, yet human data hints that going higher may guard against sarcopenia, curb muscle loss during weight loss, and aid weight loss by suppressing appetite. Actually reaching protein poisoning is almost unattainable; it would demand an incredibly low intake of fat or carbs. Meanwhile, low protein diets slow the worsening of renal failure.

For roughly 30 years I have dealt with obesity related proteinuria, which almost disappears when I shed weight, and thankfully there is no real sign of progressive kidney damage, but I did worry a bit about how such an extreme protein intake might affect renal function. In my own case, at least, the proteinuria got dramatically better as I went from 145kg down to 75 kg, so there is no indication of renal harm from it, even with the very high protein consumption.

Also, a very high protein intake genuinely helps keep hunger in check. Back in 2022 when I began losing weight, I thought GLP's were impossibly expensive, so I had to do it without them, and my diet was basically low calorific density, low fat, and high protein, with zero highly rewarding / high calorie / high glycemic index carb foods, to try to avoid binge eating responses to those types of food. Luckily I can now get cheap chinese GLPs that assist with hunger, but I have kept up the very high protein intake because of how it controls appetite; with a serious lifelong obesity problem, I am unwilling to give up any edge in managing it.

If you take 30 grams every 2 hours across a 16-hour waking window, you end up at 240 grams daily. There’s still a lot of room left.

In general, protein leaves the stomach in roughly 1 to 1.5 hours for most people, though chewing thoroughly or using liquid protein changes that. On liraglutide, my own gastric emptying took 4-6 hours. Tirz and Reta bring it closer to 3 hours for me, so I have to factor that in. Reta makes this easier, though: I seldom get more than 20 grams into one meal.

Overdoing protein leads to glucose production, which pushes my blood sugar up. It also drives more glucagon release and triggers the dawn phenomenon (blood sugar that begins climbing on its own an hour before waking; an HGH spike is probable but unproven).

A further concern for me (diabetes): branched-chain amino acids like leucine are essential since the body can’t make them, but when blood levels run too high, they worsen insulin resistance.

The catch: physicians lack the time to monitor this closely. Each person has to locate their own balance point according to their health and objectives. And however much we try to shift our metabolic set point, the body pushes back to keep homeostasis, a reminder that we can’t simply impose our will. It’s a true marathon.
 
eidos said:

lessthanhalf said:

I'll back up what was said: the research doesn't really back the idea that moving from tirz to reta does a better job of protecting muscle.

What actually matters is resistance training of some sort, plus eating more protein. My own figure would be 1.5g/kg of body weight, though the poster above puts it at 1.2, and either one works.

Losing muscle while shedding weight isn't ideal, but in real-world terms it's basically a non-issue, unless you're already starting out with very little muscle mass. Most people who are overweight or obese are carrying extra muscle, partly because overnutrition puts them in an anabolic state and partly because hauling a heavier body demands it. So when weight comes off with GLP's, dropping some muscle along with the fat has been shown to clearly improve day-to-day physical performance, since a lighter body needs less muscle to move. During my own weight loss from 115kg down to 75 kg, it was completely obvious to me climbing a hill that each 10 kilos I shed made an enormous difference to how much effort that hill took, even though I lost some muscle along the way.
In that paper, it was a minimum.

One more thing I consider crucial: how much protein you take in. Because Tirz and Reta slow gastric emptying, you can run into a range of issues, everything from burps that smell awful to downing too much protein in a single sitting.

What matters here is that the ceiling for most people is 30g-35g of net protein in one meal — that's the most that can be digested at once. Very heavy or very muscular people might manage a bit more. Anything past that point leaves amino acids the body can't turn into protein, and those get processed into ammonia and then urea, or turned into glucose or lipids (it depends on the amino acid), or into ketone bodies. That's usually not a desirable outcome. Liver enzymes can climb, which signals metabolic stress. In some cases it progresses to chronic kidney disease and lifelong dialysis (I saw this happen to a couple of guys at my gym in the ‘80s, though they were on testosterone too, which certainly didn't help).

lessthanhalf said:

I'll back up what was said: the research doesn't really back the idea that moving from tirz to reta does a better job of protecting muscle.

What actually matters is resistance training of some sort, plus eating more protein. My own figure would be 1.5g/kg of body weight, though the poster above puts it at 1.2, and either one works.

Losing muscle while shedding weight isn't ideal, but in real-world terms it's basically a non-issue, unless you're already starting out with very little muscle mass. Most people who are overweight or obese are carrying extra muscle, partly because overnutrition puts them in an anabolic state and partly because hauling a heavier body demands it. So when weight comes off with GLP's, dropping some muscle along with the fat has been shown to clearly improve day-to-day physical performance, since a lighter body needs less muscle to move. During my own weight loss from 115kg down to 75 kg, it was completely obvious to me climbing a hill that each 10 kilos I shed made an enormous difference to how much effort that hill took, even though I lost some muscle along the way.
The year I hit 40, I put on 40 kilograms. Some people fretted over it; others tried to load me with guilt.

My response to them: at 25, walking 40 kilometers with a 40-kilogram backpack was nothing for me. The catch is that in those days I could put the backpack down in the morning and take a break.

You're right — putting weight on and then taking it off is a real journey. Each small win matters and genuinely fuels you. At the moment, checking the projected HbA1c in my CGM app gives me a real lift. I'm actually looking forward to my next blood test.

🙂
Was their protein intake so extreme that it caused kidney damage?

You'd think there would be clear signals to stop before any lasting harm occurred—did they simply ignore them?
 
Venne said:

eidos said:

lessthanhalf said:

I'll back up what was said: the research doesn't really back the idea that moving from tirz to reta does a better job of protecting muscle.

What actually matters is resistance training of some sort, plus eating more protein. My own figure would be 1.5g/kg of body weight, though the poster above puts it at 1.2, and either one works.

Losing muscle while shedding weight isn't ideal, but in real-world terms it's basically a non-issue, unless you're already starting out with very little muscle mass. Most people who are overweight or obese are carrying extra muscle, partly because overnutrition puts them in an anabolic state and partly because hauling a heavier body demands it. So when weight comes off with GLP's, dropping some muscle along with the fat has been shown to clearly improve day-to-day physical performance, since a lighter body needs less muscle to move. During my own weight loss from 115kg down to 75 kg, it was completely obvious to me climbing a hill that each 10 kilos I shed made an enormous difference to how much effort that hill took, even though I lost some muscle along the way.
In that paper, it was a minimum.

One more thing I consider crucial: how much protein you take in. Because Tirz and Reta slow gastric emptying, you can run into a range of issues, everything from burps that smell awful to downing too much protein in a single sitting.

What matters here is that the ceiling for most people is 30g-35g of net protein in one meal — that's the most that can be digested at once. Very heavy or very muscular people might manage a bit more. Anything past that point leaves amino acids the body can't turn into protein, and those get processed into ammonia and then urea, or turned into glucose or lipids (it depends on the amino acid), or into ketone bodies. That's usually not a desirable outcome. Liver enzymes can climb, which signals metabolic stress. In some cases it progresses to chronic kidney disease and lifelong dialysis (I saw this happen to a couple of guys at my gym in the ‘80s, though they were on testosterone too, which certainly didn't help).

lessthanhalf said:

I'll back up what was said: the research doesn't really back the idea that moving from tirz to reta does a better job of protecting muscle.

What actually matters is resistance training of some sort, plus eating more protein. My own figure would be 1.5g/kg of body weight, though the poster above puts it at 1.2, and either one works.

Losing muscle while shedding weight isn't ideal, but in real-world terms it's basically a non-issue, unless you're already starting out with very little muscle mass. Most people who are overweight or obese are carrying extra muscle, partly because overnutrition puts them in an anabolic state and partly because hauling a heavier body demands it. So when weight comes off with GLP's, dropping some muscle along with the fat has been shown to clearly improve day-to-day physical performance, since a lighter body needs less muscle to move. During my own weight loss from 115kg down to 75 kg, it was completely obvious to me climbing a hill that each 10 kilos I shed made an enormous difference to how much effort that hill took, even though I lost some muscle along the way.
The year I hit 40, I put on 40 kilograms. Some people fretted over it; others tried to load me with guilt.

My response to them: at 25, walking 40 kilometers with a 40-kilogram backpack was nothing for me. The catch is that in those days I could put the backpack down in the morning and take a break.

You're right — putting weight on and then taking it off is a real journey. Each small win matters and genuinely fuels you. At the moment, checking the projected HbA1c in my CGM app gives me a real lift. I'm actually looking forward to my next blood test.

🙂
Was their protein intake so extreme that it caused kidney damage?

You'd think there would be clear signals to stop before any lasting harm occurred—did they simply ignore them?
There was this first guy who put in 2 years of training and wound up resembling Stallone after a swarm of bees had stung him. What he achieved impressed me: a one-armed pull-up was something he could do. That's a move I have never managed.

Then he vanished for several months. Until a short, obese, depressed man turned up at the club one day. All of us knew who he was. That was when he told us his kidneys were ruined and he was on dialysis. He had not even reached 20 years old.

About the second guy, the one I had bumped into a couple of times, an instructor filled me in as well. It was then that the instructor laid out the whole protein thing for me. I lean toward believing him, because he held a bachelor's degree in physical education from the same university where I was studying biochemistry.
 
Back
Top