Sweet Tooth

aepower2016

Explorer
Joined
Mar 2, 2026
Messages
80
Reaction score
0
Location
New york
Interesting article released a few days ago about Sweet consumption.

It reinforces the belief that monitoring your caloric intake could be more effective than just eating healthy or "clean" for weight loss purposes. A healthy diet doesn't always equate to weight loss. They are not interchangeable. Many of the participants also went back to their daily sweet consumption which could mean a massive revamp of your diet may be counterproductive to your weight loss journey in the long run.

It also seems to reinforce the need for GLP's as well. The study article doesn't explicitly mention food noise but it does reinforce cravings is a real problem and cannot be easily altered with just restriction and sheer "will power". For many people that is simply not enough.

Love to hear your thoughts on the study and article!



6e5d97ff071ca9311d6f0d25907f8f11d0a96d9f4fdf7a802062b2699ad7982e.webp




Cutting sweet foods doesn’t curb cravings or improve health



Changing how much sweet-tasting food people eat may not change how much they crave or enjoy sweetness after all. In a six-month trial, researchers found that people assigned to high-, low-, or average-sweetness diets showed no meaningful differences in their preference for sweet foods, body...

www.sciencedaily.com


https://pubmed.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/41485871/
 
That's pretty astounding to me, but there it is at nih... I find it hard to believe that going back to your old sweet tooth would show no negative effects over time. In my case that would mean eating a whole lot of cookies, sweet cereals, cake from Kroger because it was on sale (like every other day), etc. I'm just glad that the tirz has curbed most all of that for me no matter what that nih study says, lol. 🙂
 
Interesting.

I'm experiencing an increase in sweets-cravings only. While I eat much less, my craving for dessert is insane now. A small piece of dark chocolate takes care of it. I also crave diet Coke like never before. I force myself to have a good lunch but to be honest if I only had a diet Coke, i'd be satisfied and skip lunch many days.
 
In 2012 I started the Specific Carbohydrate Diet in an attempt to get my ulcerative colitis under control.

A byproduct of the diet was crazy weight loss. I got down to 132lbs at 5'7", if I didn't have single digit body fat I'd be surprised.

The sweetest thing I would eat was fruit, Pink Lady apples became my dessert.

Once I reached the conclusion the diet wasn't helping the UC I quit it. The first piece of cake I ate was almost too sweet. But like the article stated, I went right back to my old habits.
 
JohnBlutarski said:


Interesting.

I'm experiencing an increase in sweets-cravings only. While I eat much less, my craving for dessert is insane now. A small piece of dark chocolate takes care of it. I also crave diet Coke like never before. I force myself to have a good lunch but to be honest if I only had a diet Coke, i'd be satisfied and skip lunch many days.

Click to expand...
I understand, but make sure you don't give into a diet coke for lunch. Eat our protien, even if your not hungery.
 
I think that’s a really interesting point. “Healthy eating” and weight loss aren’t always the same thing, and cravings can definitely make consistency difficult. The part about people returning to their usual habits afterward is especially interesting. Will be curious to see what longer-term research shows.
 
I’m really not sure what this study tells us, since they didn’t control the source of the sweet tasting foods. It would have been great to feed folks sweet foods from highly processed sources for six months and then tested their blood sugars and other metrics.

If the study is really just about changing peoples’ food preference, there appears to be a robust literature that suggests that repeated exposure to certain food stuffs is linked to increased preference for those foods. Not sure if I would place any weight on this study.
 
Grogu said:


robust literature that suggests that repeated exposure to certain food stuffs is linked to increased preference for those foods.

Click to expand...

I really enjoy this series as well as this particular video on the BIOME
 
BNLFL said:


You're watching cartoons on YT?

Click to expand...
you would be surprised at how cool some of them are, so many great subjects!

They also post corrections when necessary and are, for the most part, apolitical.
 
Strange article. They didn't take anyone off the sweets just put on low moderate and higher sweet intake.

I stopped getting sugar craving back in March. Even still the craving was tied to my period.

There is also the study from the UK where babies born pre 1953 when sugar was rationed they had a ridiculous lower level of metabolic disease. Babies born after 1953 with early exposure to sugar had much worse health. So early exposure in life matters. Exposure in utero mattered too. They say 1000 days from conception.

They also had lower rates of cancer.


https://www.science.org/content/article/britain-s-postwar-sugar-craze-confirms-harms-sweet-diets-early-life



https://www.sciencedirect.com/science/article/pii/S0002916526002625
 
BNLFL said:


You're watching cartoons on YT?

Click to expand...
Kurzgesagt is a very comprehensively researched youtube channel , more or less science education, with a pile of qualified people doing the research for each episode, it is targeted at a somewhat younger audience, is animated, and I know about it because my teenage kids were watching it. But in general the quality of the science in it is excellent and a major jump in standards from the average medical influencer videos. Their videos on obesity and GLP's were quite good.

In terms of cravings for sweet foods. When I went on a diet in 2022, without GLP's I totally excluded all high glycemic index carbs/rich/rewarding/addictive foods and this naturally removed all sweet foods but fruit ( plus 100 cal/day of 70%+ dark chocolate ) . I found that this did not totally eliminate cravings for sweet foods, but dramatically reduced them, and was enough to eliminate any binge eating episodes. It also reshaped my taste preferences somewhat so that even not very sweet fruit tasted extra nice . In my experience even occasionally eating more calorie dense or sweet foods can reduce the taste of lower calorie foods like not very sweet fruits like strawberries etc.
 
Skidude said:


you would be surprised at how cool some of them are, so many great subjects!

They also post corrections when necessary and are, for the most part, apolitical.

Click to expand...
Honestly, a fantastic way to learn! The idea of it takes me back to my beloved School House Rocks days! I'll have to check out Kurzgesagt.

I agree with others, hard to believe that study with it in such contrast to my experience. Personally, I've mainly been eating fresh bread or low-carb tortillas. I bought just a regular old loaf of ww bread and, to me, it tasted like plastic. In the way back days, I ate Mc Donald's cheeseburgers at least once a week. Loved those things. After years of being off them, I ended up getting one and felt like I eating a bowl full of salt. Same with Diet Coke, I was a 12 pack a day Diet Coke-aholic, needed to take a pill so I took a sip of my husband's all worried it'd take me back but that shit was disgusting. This year, I succumbed to the giant container of Starburst jelly beans at Costco....it was on sale for about $6! Cannot pinpoint it, but they were just not the little nuggets of joy I remembered...the sweet, the texture, the whole thing was just off.
 
lessthanhalf said:


Kurzgesagt is a very comprehensively researched youtube channel , more or less science education, with a pile of qualified people doing the research for each episode, it is targeted at a somewhat younger audience, is animated, and I know about it because my teenage kids were watching it. But in general the quality of the science in it is excellent and a major jump in standards from the average medical influencer videos. Their videos on obesity and GLP's were quite good.

In terms of cravings for sweet foods. When I went on a diet in 2022, without GLP's I totally excluded all high glycemic index carbs/rich/rewarding/addictive foods and this naturally removed all sweet foods but fruit ( plus 100 cal/day of 70%+ dark chocolate ) . I found that this did not totally eliminate cravings for sweet foods, but dramatically reduced them, and was enough to eliminate any binge eating episodes. It also reshaped my taste preferences somewhat so that even not very sweet fruit tasted extra nice . In my experience even occasionally eating more calorie dense or sweet foods can reduce the taste of lower calorie foods like not very sweet fruits like strawberries etc.

Click to expand...
I like to compare it to the "books for dummies series".

It has a good way of providing an introductory understanding of subjects that allows you to go further down the rabbit hole if desired.

Well made and researched videos, and best of all, like 10 minutes each.
 
aepower2016 said:


Interesting article released a few days ago about Sweet consumption.

It reinforces the belief that monitoring your caloric intake could be more effective than just eating healthy or "clean" for weight loss purposes. A healthy diet doesn't always equate to weight loss. They are not interchangeable. Many of the participants also went back to their daily sweet consumption which could mean a massive revamp of your diet may be counterproductive to your weight loss journey in the long run.

It also seems to reinforce the need for GLP's as well. The study article doesn't explicitly mention food noise but it does reinforce cravings is a real problem and cannot be easily altered with just restriction and sheer "will power". For many people that is simply not enough.

Love to hear your thoughts on the study and article!



6e5d97ff071ca9311d6f0d25907f8f11d0a96d9f4fdf7a802062b2699ad7982e.webp




Cutting sweet foods doesn’t curb cravings or improve health



Changing how much sweet-tasting food people eat may not change how much they crave or enjoy sweetness after all. In a six-month trial, researchers found that people assigned to high-, low-, or average-sweetness diets showed no meaningful differences in their preference for sweet foods, body...

www.sciencedaily.com


https://pubmed.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/41485871/


Click to expand...
I have not read it but, I have no desire for sweets anymore since starting my glp journey. I used to say I will have a couple scoops of ice-cream and call it good. In all actuality, Not, the whole half gallon would be gone an hour later.
 
I have a massive sweet tooth but since starting reta this has died down dramatically. I have had a craving here and there and I just have it within my calories and my weight is still dropping. I’m so much more satisfied after I have the sweet treat too. Normally I want to finish the share bar of chocolate but instead I can have a couple rows and then move on without much thought. It’s been magical to experience tbh
 
CNCCurrency said:


I have not read it but, I have no desire for sweets anymore since starting my glp journey. I used to say I will have a couple scoops of ice-cream and call it good. In all actuality, Not, the whole half gallon would be gone an hour later.

Click to expand...
The study did not include participants on GLP's or any kind of weight loss treatment to my understanding. Nonetheless, I think the study reinforced the needs for weight loss drugs especially for those who struggle with daily cravings.
 
Back
Top