Sudden Tirz intolerance — did anyone else hit this?

If you haven't gone back to the doctor yet, another check-up seems like a reasonable move. I'm not familiar with how the Italian healthcare system operates, but I'd hope that basic medical care is simpler to get than it is in the US.

My best guess would be that this is simply an unpleasant virus, along with some fatigue or other symptoms lingering after the infection — that kind of thing is quite common, and usually it clears up before too long.

That said, 3 weeks of not feeling well is more than enough reason to be seen again. In all likelihood you won't come away with a helpful answer or anything that truly solves the issue, but ruling out treatable conditions such as iron deficiency, anaemia and diabetes and so on is probably worthwhile. Given how nonspecific the symptoms are, chances are there's no particular diagnosis waiting to be found — though that doesn't make getting checked out a bad plan.

Whether the tirz played any role is genuinely difficult to determine at this point. It's sounding more and more like it didn't, but certainty is hard here. It probably makes sense to hold off on restarting tirz until you've been evaluated and perhaps until you're feeling somewhat better — a calorie deficit isn't likely to do much for tiredness.
 
Yep — the morning after my very first shot, I was throwing up when I got up, then spent roughly 30 minutes dry heaving. It was so severe that my stomach area ached for the whole rest of that day.

These days it's somewhat easier to handle — actually much easier — though it's still not enjoyable, and the worst stretch is the 1 or 2 days right after injecting. I'm 5 injections in and I'm still unsure whether I can keep going much longer. Also, I'm at 1.5mg; 2.5 was completely beyond what I could handle.
 
rkbleddyn said:

Yep — the morning after my very first shot, I was throwing up when I got up, then spent roughly 30 minutes dry heaving. It was so severe that my stomach area ached for the whole rest of that day.

These days it's somewhat easier to handle — actually much easier — though it's still not enjoyable, and the worst stretch is the 1 or 2 days right after injecting. I'm 5 injections in and I'm still unsure whether I can keep going much longer. Also, I'm at 1.5mg; 2.5 was completely beyond what I could handle.
There isn't much background for this post. If you're highly sensitive to the medication, and it does sound like you are when it comes to nausea / vomiting type side effects, then no rule dictates how far the dose must be lowered, and since the side effects are worse during the first 3 days, that points toward trying smaller doses twice a week. I would drop as low as 0.5mg twice a week and check whether that's tolerable. If even that doesn't work for you, then perhaps this drug simply won't suit you ( I assume tirz based on the dose ), and after several weeks of that going fine, then raise it very gradually to 0.75mg twice a week. Usually the nausea and vomiting do ease slowly with time, but when the side effects are that unpleasant you have to lower the dose, and I would recommend splitting it into twice a week, and once all of that is fine, increase extremely slowly at 0.5mg per 4 weeks, or roughly 5 x slower than standard. Also search for glp plotter so you can view how various doses and timings appear on a graph , it makes things easier to grasp, and recheck your dilution and dosing calculations in case the dose is bigger than you believe it is.
 
lessthanhalf said:

If you haven't gone back to the doctor yet, another check-up seems like a reasonable move. I'm not familiar with how the Italian healthcare system operates, but I'd hope that basic medical care is simpler to get than it is in the US.

My best guess would be that this is simply an unpleasant virus, along with some fatigue or other symptoms lingering after the infection — that kind of thing is quite common, and usually it clears up before too long.

That said, 3 weeks of not feeling well is more than enough reason to be seen again. In all likelihood you won't come away with a helpful answer or anything that truly solves the issue, but ruling out treatable conditions such as iron deficiency, anaemia and diabetes and so on is probably worthwhile. Given how nonspecific the symptoms are, chances are there's no particular diagnosis waiting to be found — though that doesn't make getting checked out a bad plan.

Whether the tirz played any role is genuinely difficult to determine at this point. It's sounding more and more like it didn't, but certainty is hard here. It probably makes sense to hold off on restarting tirz until you've been evaluated and perhaps until you're feeling somewhat better — a calorie deficit isn't likely to do much for tiredness.
My doctor said almost the same thing to me — he suggested I hold off for another month, then get my blood tests done again.

Things are getting better little by little, and I'm beginning to feel somewhat stronger once more. By now I'm also leaning more and more toward the idea that the tirz wasn't the cause.

From what my doctor and I discussed, the more probable explanation is that it was simply a rough mix of severe tiredness from job-related stress, a virus, the flu, and likely undereating as well.

I really appreciate it — hearing your perspective and what you've been through makes this a lot clearer for me.
 
rkbleddyn said:

Yep — the morning after my very first shot, I was throwing up when I got up, then spent roughly 30 minutes dry heaving. It was so severe that my stomach area ached for the whole rest of that day.

These days it's somewhat easier to handle — actually much easier — though it's still not enjoyable, and the worst stretch is the 1 or 2 days right after injecting. I'm 5 injections in and I'm still unsure whether I can keep going much longer. Also, I'm at 1.5mg; 2.5 was completely beyond what I could handle.
Do what @lessthanhalf suggested. I ran into the same tirz tolerance problems you're dealing with, and 7 months later, I'm still only on 2.75 mg.

I went back to 1 mg weekly and moved up very gradually. At the start, 2.5 mg was completely intolerable for me.

Before you quit, give lower doses a chance, since the payoff makes it worthwhile. 🫶
 
Back
Top