Struggling to remove these vial caps

cheaperseeker said:

JoonyO said:

So anyway, I tried pulling the cap off one of my vials, and the whole assembly just fell to pieces, which left me standing there going, [[Q1]]
It seems like a few might be made that way on purpose, though the only ones I've come across like that came with some Korean beauty products. Could it be that they simply put on the wrong kind of caps?
I really don't know...but it's frustrating that this occurred. I ended up filtering it into a vial I already had.
 
cheaperseeker said:

David smith said:

I joined in 2024 (I attempted to respond to a post, but once more it got flagged
It depends on how long you've been a member and how many posts you've written. From what I can see, yours is just 18.
I attempted to express the same thing you did, and it got flagged once more. There's no pattern to it.
 
David smith said:

I joined in 2024 (I attempted to respond to a post, but once more it got flagged
Look below.

cheaperseeker said:

David smith said:

I joined in 2024 (I attempted to respond to a post, but once more it got flagged
It depends on how long you've been a member and how many posts you've written. From what I can see, yours is just 18.
Indeed

David smith said:

cheaperseeker said:

David smith said:

I joined in 2024 (I attempted to respond to a post, but once more it got flagged
It depends on how long you've been a member and how many posts you've written. From what I can see, yours is just 18.
I attempted to express the same thing you did, and it got flagged once more. There's no pattern to it.
More posts are needed from you, possibly likes too. Basically, contribute more rather than mostly lurking.
 
An R60 vial I had felt like it might snap in my hands. I took a credit card and moved it in circles beneath the cap, applying gentle upward pressure until the metal finally fatigued.

These particular ones are new to me, though I recall reading about caps marked with arrows that are designed to rip away a small piece of the crimp ring.

Since I filter and transfer all my solutions anyway, I'm not overly concerned about compromising the seal.
 
David smith said:

cheaperseeker said:

David smith said:

I joined in 2024 (I attempted to respond to a post, but once more it got flagged
It depends on how long you've been a member and how many posts you've written. From what I can see, yours is just 18.
I attempted to express the same thing you did, and it got flagged once more. There's no pattern to it.
The New Member Posting Guide lays out the actual rhyme and reason behind all of this. Calling someone a "New Member" can be a little confusing, since how long your account has existed barely matters. To move forward, you need to take part in the forum. Zippity enjoys keeping a few surprises around here, but the guidelines about what new members can do are not one of them. Everything is written out clearly. Once you reach Apprentice, the leash will be loosened.
 
David smith said:

I joined in 2024 (I attempted to respond to a post, but once more it got flagged
There isn't much activity in your post/comment history. If you contribute a few more posts and comments, you might move up a level.
333de38d35fe054e88aae5c5c76f4ea31d5d656d8f457d15bc31201eceefb7ce.gif
 
A vial opener is an option you can purchase, or what I did was use a standard bottle opener, but I made sure to be extremely cautious—if you're not, the whole cap along with the rubber stopper will come off. So just apply light leverage, or you could order a vial opener from Amazon and have it arrive the next day.
 
David smith said:

cheaperseeker said:

David smith said:

I joined in 2024 (I attempted to respond to a post, but once more it got flagged
It depends on how long you've been a member and how many posts you've written. From what I can see, yours is just 18.
I attempted to express the same thing you did, and it got flagged once more. There's no pattern to it.
Since Zippity has figured out that the vial tops won't come off for you, he likely put you right back at square 1. 🙂
 
CandyCap said:

Just to be clear — you mean the foil cap, not the entire top, right?

My go-to method is simply using my thumb to flick the foil cap off. On certain caps there's a spot designed to keep it attached, letting you snap it back down like a lid. If yours is that kind, avoid prying from that side. I've never run into trouble taking one off, not even after it's been in the freezer.

Now, if it's the whole top — stopper and everything — that's a different situation... and we should probably have a conversation.
Leave the foil in place too! Only remove the colored plastic piece
 
I expect I'll be banned for this, or at the very least mocked, but honestly, when a cap gives me trouble and I'm too lazy to stand up, I'll just bite the damn thing to get it loose. Since I'm the only person who uses the product, and I disinfect the vials with alcohol wipes as if my life hinges on it, it doesn't really concern me. The handful of occasions I've resorted to that, everything turned out okay. Just keep it between us and my Dentist.
 
A vendor based in Thailand supplied me with caps that were consistently hard to remove. My approach was to clean a pair of diagonal cutting pliers with alcohol, then after attempting to pry the cap up, I used the pliers to snip it off completely. Since switching to a number of Chinese suppliers, the caps pop off without any trouble.
 
toologic said:

A vial opener is an option you can purchase, or what I did was use a standard bottle opener, but I made sure to be extremely cautious—if you're not, the whole cap along with the rubber stopper will come off. So just apply light leverage, or you could order a vial opener from Amazon and have it arrive the next day.
Up until yesterday, I'd cracked open a huge number of these without giving any thought to the seal or stopper. Several put up a real fight before I could get them going, yet neither the seal nor the stopper ever moved.
 
ThatNextGril said:

I expect I'll be banned for this, or at the very least mocked, but honestly, when a cap gives me trouble and I'm too lazy to stand up, I'll just bite the damn thing to get it loose. Since I'm the only person who uses the product, and I disinfect the vials with alcohol wipes as if my life hinges on it, it doesn't really concern me. The handful of occasions I've resorted to that, everything turned out okay. Just keep it between us and my Dentist.
I've felt the urge...
 
Did anyone catch that episode of The Pitt where Santos is unable to remove the cap from the vyal, and then decides it must have been tampered with? Meanwhile I'm thinking, no sweetie, that genuinely happens all the time!

(Also, the forum censored me for spelling v.i.a.l. right the first time?!)
 
Back
Top