Struggling to remove these vial caps

David smith

Explorer
Joined
Dec 7, 2024
Messages
14
Reaction score
0
Location
US
I have vials that spent 4 months in my freezer. With other brands, removing the tops is usually pretty simple, but these absolutely refuse to move. I attempted using my shirt and also a towel. Does anyone have advice for getting the tops off?
 
Just to be clear — you mean the foil cap, not the entire top, right?

My go-to method is simply using my thumb to flick the foil cap off. On certain caps there's a spot designed to keep it attached, letting you snap it back down like a lid. If yours is that kind, avoid prying from that side. I've never run into trouble taking one off, not even after it's been in the freezer.

Now, if it's the whole top — stopper and everything — that's a different situation... and we should probably have a conversation.
 
There are vendors that carry a little device known as a Vial Opener. With it, the caps come off quickly and without mess.
 
Back when I first started, I picked up a bottle opener, but on what was probably vial #3 I wasn't cautious enough and almost yanked off the crimp along with the rubber stopper. After that, the opener went back to the bar, and these days I just rely on my thumb—they ought to pop off without much effort.

Could it be that your batch of crimps or caps is faulty?
 
I checked out that vile opener tool. What I want isn't to pull off the entire silver top — only the seal. Mine feels like it's practically glued in place. No matter what I do, it won't move.
 
David smith said:

I checked out that vile opener tool. What I want isn't to pull off the entire silver top — only the seal. Mine feels like it's practically glued in place. No matter what I do, it won't move.
I've encountered ones similar to that from Uther. Typically, I can grip the vial in my hand and place a thumb beneath the cap on each opposing side, then rock it side to side a few times to free the cap from the crimp without messing up the crimp or stopper.
 
A bottle opener is only supposed to flick off the protective cover; I brought up that it can remove the entire top if you're not cautious (which is what happened in my case). Have you tried a basic metal one? It ought to press down on the middle of the whole cap while splitting the thin stamped section that sits between the cap and the protective cover.

It sure seems like the caps you have are faulty. If it were me, I'd either raise the issue with whoever supplied them, or, if getting the top off the normal way is completely impossible, pick up sterile vials, 1.5" needles, and filters. Tear the entire top away, reconstitute, then run it through a filter into a fresh vial.





0ae50c8a15e027b2a77dc3584eab15efbf7bf27ae4be7a058c0a7b36c0295ed7.webp
 
David smith said:

I checked out that vile opener tool. What I want isn't to pull off the entire silver top — only the seal. Mine feels like it's practically glued in place. No matter what I do, it won't move.

For both the crimp and the seal, the vial opener does the job. As shown in the picture above, a standard can opener ought to work too. Should neither be available, an option is to force a butter knife or a similar object into the gap and lever it apart.
 
It might help to share a photo so others can see which cap style you have. Usually they're flip-off, though tear-off versions exist as well. Supposedly, a few come with small arrows showing which way to remove them (I've never received any like that myself, so I haven't actually seen them.)
 
Dos-Dox said:

It might help to share a photo so others can see which cap style you have. Usually they're flip-off, though tear-off versions exist as well. Supposedly, a few come with small arrows showing which way to remove them (I've never received any like that myself, so I haven't actually seen them.)
That's helpful to hear.
 
"Share a picture so it's clear which cap style you're dealing with. Flip off caps are the usual kind, but tear off versions exist as well. Supposedly a few come with small arrows showing which way to remove them (I've never received any like that, so I haven't laid eyes on them myself.)"

At first I wanted to name the brand, but it looks like this site has changed once more and I can't mention it and still get my post published.

(also confused why 'no soarce discussion' appears beside my name. I never configured that. strange) Heck, now the post is being flagged as spam. WTH
 
I've got a batch of 10mg Tirz with yellow caps, and getting them off is a nightmare. Even with the tool, sometimes the foil won't lift at all, so I end up grabbing needle nose pliers. Other times the foil lifts but doesn't tear, so it rips down the side. My guess is that some of these are just made very cheaply.
 
David smith said:

"Share a picture so it's clear which cap style you're dealing with. Flip off caps are the usual kind, but tear off versions exist as well. Supposedly a few come with small arrows showing which way to remove them (I've never received any like that, so I haven't laid eyes on them myself.)"

At first I wanted to name the brand, but it looks like this site has changed once more and I can't mention it and still get my post published.

(also confused why 'no soarce discussion' appears beside my name. I never configured that. strange) Heck, now the post is being flagged as spam. WTH
The reason is that you're new. Before you can access sources, they expect you to have put in a certain amount of time here reading and learning.

Also, if you're trying to answer a particular post, use the reply button.
 
So anyway, I tried pulling the cap off one of my vials, and the whole assembly just fell to pieces, which left me standing there going, [[Q1]]
 
David smith said:

I joined in 2024 (I attempted to respond to a post, but once more it got flagged
It depends on how long you've been a member and how many posts you've written. From what I can see, yours is just 18.
 
JoonyO said:

So anyway, I tried pulling the cap off one of my vials, and the whole assembly just fell to pieces, which left me standing there going, [[Q1]]
It seems like a few might be made that way on purpose, though the only ones I've come across like that came with some Korean beauty products. Could it be that they simply put on the wrong kind of caps?
 
Back
Top