Stopping muscle loss during weight reduction

Quagmire_Giggity

Explorer
Joined
Jun 28, 2026
Messages
31
Reaction score
0
Location
California
For the men in this group: has Reta caused any of you to drop muscle mass?

Can weight training by itself stop that from happening? What daily protein intake do you aim for? Or is this simply not a problem at all in your experience?
 
Quagmire_Giggity said:

For the men in this group: has Reta caused any of you to drop muscle mass?

Can weight training by itself stop that from happening? What daily protein intake do you aim for? Or is this simply not a problem at all in your experience?

When cutting weight, the usual recommendation is to take in 1 gram of protein for every 1 pound of the weight you're aiming for.

Since I'm aiming for 180, I usually get about 180 grams of protein daily, all while keeping myself in a deficit.
 
Take a look at this thread:




Let's talk GLP1's downfall - MUSCLE LOSS



So you've dropped a huge amount of weight. Did you realize how much muscle you've shed? Possibly the largest downside of GLP-1's is muscle mass being lost. A number of people in healthcare are suggesting early death because GLP-1's rapid weight loss goes together with rapid...

051f0e2f5b7f6ffbb4a2f10b404546ba44b6197464dfbacec1b043fb189c69a3.png



GLP1Chat.com

The search feature is your best friend!
 
Some muscle loss is basically unavoidable when you're dropping weight. All you can really do is keep it to a minimum. Even top-level bodybuilders shed muscle while cutting, and they're using massive amounts of gear plus taking in tons of protein.

To hold onto a significant amount of muscle, you'd need to cut extremely slowly — and if you're using GLPs, that becomes even tougher until you've reached your maintenance dose of the GLP.
 

Weight loss with GLP-1 medicines does not result in a disproportionate loss of muscle mass or function



Summary The steep drop in body weight seen with glucagon-like peptide-1 (GLP-1) medicines has raised worry about losing lean body mass (LBM) and skeletal muscle. Here we present four pre-clinical studies plus one proof-of-concept clinical trial aimed at exactly that. We report that in...

051f0e2f5b7f6ffbb4a2f10b404546ba44b6197464dfbacec1b043fb189c69a3.png



GLP1Chat.com

This subject keeps coming back up in other threads
 
Quagmire_Giggity said:

For the men in this group: has Reta caused any of you to drop muscle mass?

Can weight training by itself stop that from happening? What daily protein intake do you aim for? Or is this simply not a problem at all in your experience?

Progressive resistance training alone will do the job. To keep your muscle, gear isn't a requirement by any means—but getting to the gym is, and that's true even when you are using gear.
 
Builderman said:

Quagmire_Giggity said:

For the men in this group: has Reta caused any of you to drop muscle mass?

Can weight training by itself stop that from happening? What daily protein intake do you aim for? Or is this simply not a problem at all in your experience?

When cutting weight, the usual recommendation is to take in 1 gram of protein for every 1 pound of the weight you're aiming for.

Since I'm aiming for 180, I usually get about 180 grams of protein daily, all while keeping myself in a deficit.
Is it necessary to divide that across a set number of meals, or can you simply work it into the diet you already follow?
 
Habibibi said:

Quagmire_Giggity said:

For the men in this group: has Reta caused any of you to drop muscle mass?

Can weight training by itself stop that from happening? What daily protein intake do you aim for? Or is this simply not a problem at all in your experience?

Progressive resistance training alone will do the job. To keep your muscle, gear isn't a requirement by any means—but getting to the gym is, and that's true even when you are using gear.
Sorry if this comes across as a dumb question, but could someone explain what gear means?
 
Quagmire_Giggity said:

Habibibi said:

Quagmire_Giggity said:

For the men in this group: has Reta caused any of you to drop muscle mass?

Can weight training by itself stop that from happening? What daily protein intake do you aim for? Or is this simply not a problem at all in your experience?

Progressive resistance training alone will do the job. To keep your muscle, gear isn't a requirement by any means—but getting to the gym is, and that's true even when you are using gear.
Sorry if this comes across as a dumb question, but could someone explain what gear means?
Anabolic steroids
 
Quagmire_Giggity said:

For the men in this group: has Reta caused any of you to drop muscle mass?

Can weight training by itself stop that from happening? What daily protein intake do you aim for? Or is this simply not a problem at all in your experience?
It would be a mistake to treat this as unimportant — the topic really does matter. Still, like plenty of others have pointed out, using the search function gets you a long way.

My own path began with nothing but weight loss, zero training. Later on, once my weight had come down enough that my knees could handle it, I added some light cardio. After shedding enough pounds, I moved into the gym and got serious about building muscle while dropping fat.

For me, the toughest part was simply starting. What I did suited me, though. As long as you actually do it.

Protein and calories are an entirely separate challenge. Personally I find those far more difficult, but they can be managed.
 
Quagmire_Giggity said:

For the men in this group: has Reta caused any of you to drop muscle mass?

Can weight training by itself stop that from happening? What daily protein intake do you aim for? Or is this simply not a problem at all in your experience?
If you drop weight without resistance training and without meeting your protein goals, muscle loss is guaranteed. Calling it a 'non issue' is wrong.

Even so, I've managed to add muscle while on Reta — though at my age, 50s, it demanded real effort. Workouts required consistency and commitment, plus keeping protein a priority. Lifting comes first; protein supports it. Every muscle group needs attention, lower body included. Hire a trainer and explain your situation to them. I also use 'high-normal' TRT, yet I believe it's possible to preserve muscle without Test.
 
Quagmire_Giggity said:

Builderman said:

Quagmire_Giggity said:

For the men in this group: has Reta caused any of you to drop muscle mass?

Can weight training by itself stop that from happening? What daily protein intake do you aim for? Or is this simply not a problem at all in your experience?

When cutting weight, the usual recommendation is to take in 1 gram of protein for every 1 pound of the weight you're aiming for.

Since I'm aiming for 180, I usually get about 180 grams of protein daily, all while keeping myself in a deficit.
Is it necessary to divide that across a set number of meals, or can you simply work it into the diet you already follow?
My approach is intermittent fasting, which means my first meal is lunch, followed by dinner.
 
Quagmire_Giggity said:

Builderman said:

Quagmire_Giggity said:

For the men in this group: has Reta caused any of you to drop muscle mass?

Can weight training by itself stop that from happening? What daily protein intake do you aim for? Or is this simply not a problem at all in your experience?

When cutting weight, the usual recommendation is to take in 1 gram of protein for every 1 pound of the weight you're aiming for.

Since I'm aiming for 180, I usually get about 180 grams of protein daily, all while keeping myself in a deficit.
Is it necessary to divide that across a set number of meals, or can you simply work it into the diet you already follow?
Aim for 20-30 grams of protein at each meal.

If your BMI is very high, or if you spend several hours weight training daily, your body is able to digest a larger amount at once.

One key point: whatever does not get assimilated is not put away for future use. In the liver, amino acids undergo deamination and are turned into lipids or carbs. While you are trying to lose weight, that is the opposite of what you want.
 
Down 70lbs in roughly 8 months. My calorie intake was well below maintenance, yet nearly all my muscle stayed. Protein came first for me. I kept up with lifting, plus I'm on trt — for me, that or simply sufficient natural testosterone made the difference.
 
Everything that has already been mentioned... Weight training is non-negotiable, protein intake has to be high, and you still need to stay in a calorie deficit. As the pounds came off, I noticed I could push harder in my sessions, and with the fat gone it became easier to actually watch the muscles develop. That feedback loop kept me going. Best of luck - you've got this.
 
From what I've gone through personally, using Tesa+Ipa has aided my recovery when I'm in a deficit. I've noticed a slight change during workouts while cutting.
 
Just wanted to say thanks to everyone who replied. You pointed me in a good direction, and I'll dig into it further.

As for those who told me to use the search function…fair enough…I appreciate you 🙂
 
Back
Top