Stopping GLP-1s Without Regaining Everything? (Plus a Mixing Ratio Question)

NarrowSparrow

Explorer
Joined
Aug 12, 2026
Messages
16
Reaction score
0
Location
TX USA
So Reta is giving me that injection site reaction that shows up later. It isn't the bac water causing it — it happens with every shot, even when I dial the dose down a bit. I don't think it's a true allergy; it's more like my immune system reacting, and I figure I'm in the group that develops antibodies.

Would adding more bac water help? And what's the usual amount of bac water people start with — is there a chart somewhere? I normally go with 1mL, which makes my 40mg vials pretty concentrated…

I still have 2 more 40mg vials sitting here that I intend to use. I keep going back and forth on trying tirz, but I've never used tirz at all…and since I've already been on reta, I'm concerned it won't work as well.

Another path is to stop everything and drop the last 20 on my own — though from what I've read, a lot of people put the weight back on after they come off GLPs. Is that because they don't keep up the lifestyle changes?

Is there any chance I can someday be GLP-free and not weigh a gazillion pounds? 😭
 
Other people will probably add their thoughts, and there’s a chance I’m overlooking something, but my suggestion is to add more diluent. The concentration is quite high. I’d also run it through a filter to rule out any contamination, foreign matter included.
 
NarrowSparrow said:


Okay so I’m getting the delayed injection site reaction with Reta. It’s not the bac water. It’s every injection even with slightly lower dosing. It’s not an allergic reaction per se, it’s an immune response - I guess I’m one of those people who make antibodies. I’m wondering if diluting with more bac water would be helpful. How much bac water is generally right to use in the first place? Is there a table somewhere? I typically use 1mL so the concentration is pretty high with my 40mg vials…

And I have 2 more 40mg vials I plan to use. I’m debating switching to tirz but I’ve never had tirz before…I worry about efficacy since I’ve been on reta now.

The other option is to quit everything and lose

NarrowSparrow said:


Okay so I’m getting the delayed injection site reaction with Reta. It’s not the bac water. It’s every injection even with slightly lower dosing. It’s not an allergic reaction per se, it’s an immune response - I guess I’m one of those people who make antibodies. I’m wondering if diluting with more bac water would be helpful. How much bac water is generally right to use in the first place? Is there a table somewhere? I typically use 1mL so the concentration is pretty high with my 40mg vials…

And I have 2 more 40mg vials I plan to use. I’m debating switching to tirz but I’ve never had tirz before…I worry about efficacy since I’ve been on reta now.

The other option is to quit everything and lose the last 20 naturally - but I’ve read most people regain once stopping GLPs. Is this due to not sustaining lifestyle changes?

Do I have any hope of being GLP-free someday while also not being a gazillion pounds? 😭

Click to expand...

40mg with even 2ml is way too much in my opinion. Take 10mg of the reconstituted 40 and put it into a new sterile empty vial. Add another 2ml and then start with 2mg of Reta. There are peptide dosing protocols and calculators out there. My point being is that you might start at 2mg then work your way up. Rule of thumb is start low then increase gradually. Best of luck!

Click to expand...
 
Injection site reactions that stay local happen in 5-15% of people using any GLP drug. The cause is an immune response — antibodies are involved, or if the reaction is delayed, cell-mediated immunity is more likely. Fortunately, research has shown that antibodies against GLP drugs are very common, yet they almost never prevent the drugs from working.

Not much can be done about these reactions. As long as there is no full-body allergic response (which would be a reason to worry and stop), the only real considerations are how uncomfortable, itchy, or irritating the reaction is and whether you are willing to tolerate it or would rather quit. I doubt that the peptide concentration in the injection changes much, but diluting it is worth a try if you want to see whether it helps.

Whether to remain on GLP drugs to hold onto the weight loss depends partly on how severe the overweight/obesity problem is or was — the more severe it is, the more important continuing becomes. Being older or having other obesity-related health issues also matters. So does whether the problem has been lifelong or long term rather than recent. If it has always been an issue, the odds of regaining the weight after stopping the drug are really very high over the longer term. From my perspective, GLP drugs are amazing because they support weight loss maintenance; nothing besides surgery is that effective long term. Losing weight through diet and exercise is hard, but keeping it off for years is nearly impossible without GLP drugs.

If the reactions are bothersome enough that you want to stop the reta, switching to tirz is always an option. Cross reactions between one GLP and another are supposed to be rare, so you would simply face the same 5-15% chance of getting the reaction from tirz. Alternatively, you could stop and track your weight, then restart the reta — or preferably tirz — if the weight begins creeping back up.
 
lessthanhalf said:

Injection site reactions that stay local happen in 5-15% of people using any GLP drug. The cause is an immune response — antibodies are involved, or if the reaction is delayed, cell-mediated immunity is more likely. Fortunately, research has shown that antibodies against GLP drugs are very common, yet they almost never prevent the drugs from working.

Not much can be done about these reactions. As long as there is no full-body allergic response (which would be a reason to worry and stop), the only real considerations are how uncomfortable, itchy, or irritating the reaction is and whether you are willing to tolerate it or would rather quit. I doubt that the peptide concentration in the injection changes much, but diluting it is worth a try if you want to see whether it helps.

Whether to remain on GLP drugs to hold onto the weight loss depends partly on how severe the overweight/obesity problem is or was — the more severe it is, the more important continuing becomes. Being older or having other obesity-related health issues also matters. So does whether the problem has been lifelong or long term rather than recent. If it has always been an issue, the odds of regaining the weight after stopping the drug are really very high over the longer term. From my perspective, GLP drugs are amazing because they support weight loss maintenance; nothing besides surgery is that effective long term. Losing weight through diet and exercise is hard, but keeping it off for years is nearly impossible without GLP drugs.

If the reactions are bothersome enough that you want to stop the reta, switching to tirz is always an option. Cross reactions between one GLP and another are supposed to be rare, so you would simply face the same 5-15% chance of getting the reaction from tirz. Alternatively, you could stop and track your weight, then restart the reta — or preferably tirz — if the weight begins creeping back up.
That's a fantastic reply!
 
NarrowSparrow said:


Okay so I’m getting the delayed injection site reaction with Reta. It’s not the bac water. It’s every injection even with slightly lower dosing. It’s not an allergic reaction per se, it’s an immune response - I guess I’m one of those people who make antibodies. I’m wondering if diluting with more bac water would be helpful. How much bac water is generally right to use in the first place? Is there a table somewhere? I typically use 1mL so the concentration is pretty high with my 40mg vials…

And I have 2 more 40mg vials I plan to use. I’m debating switching to tirz but I’ve never had tirz before…I worry about efficacy since I’ve been on reta now.

The other option is to quit everything and lose the last 20 naturally - but I’ve read most people regain once stopping GLPs. Is this due to not sustaining lifestyle changes?

Do I have any hope of being GLP-free someday while also not being a gazillion pounds? 😭

Click to expand...
What amount are you injecting? My response depends on knowing that.
 
My bad — the vial is 40mg, but my actual dose isn’t 40mg. I’m on 8mg. I was wondering if using a larger amount of bacteriostatic water might reduce the injection site reactions I keep getting. As for reconstituting it, I have no idea what volume to use — the supplier didn’t include any directions. 😬
 
If I had 40 mg of Reta on hand, my approach would be to add 3 ml of bacteriostatic water and then administer the shot at a very slow pace. Doing it that way keeps the injection site from getting too concentrated.
 
My guess is you've been on reta for some time now? Have you gone through reta from various vials or batches without any reaction? Could you test another batch to check whether the reaction still happens?...

I'd want to confirm it's genuinely a 'reta' issue, rather than simply a problem with that one vial...GL
 
NarrowSparrow said:


Do I have any hope of being GLP-free someday while also not being a gazillion pounds? 😭

Click to expand...
Some of the gym-focused folks around here run GLPs as part of bulk/cut cycles. Their situation usually isn't the same as someone dealing with ordinary weight problems.

As for everyone else, staying on some form of GLP medication is likely a lifelong thing. Since you're new, my advice is to dig up older threads where people describe stopping GLPs and then starting again. I really don't want to repeat what they went through.
 
NarrowSparrow said:

My bad — the vial is 40mg, but my actual dose isn’t 40mg. I’m on 8mg. I was wondering if using a larger amount of bacteriostatic water might reduce the injection site reactions I keep getting. As for reconstituting it, I have no idea what volume to use — the supplier didn’t include any directions. 😬
With an 8mg dose, your 20-unit injection doesn't have enough BAC in it. A 2ml BAC at 40-unit shots would be far better. Smaller shots are my preference, though there's a limit to how small you should go.
 
Flash-BCR said:

My guess is you've been on reta for some time now? Have you gone through reta from various vials or batches without any reaction? Could you test another batch to check whether the reaction still happens?...

I'd want to confirm it's genuinely a 'reta' issue, rather than simply a problem with that one vial...GL
That makes sense. Once I'm able to discuss it here — I'm still too new to the forum — I'll give other batches a shot.
 
So Reta is giving me that injection site reaction that shows up later. It isn't the bac water causing it — it happens with every shot, even when I dial the dose down a bit. I don't think it's a true allergy; it's more like my immune system reacting, and I figure I'm in the group that develops antibodies.

Would adding more bac water help? And what's the usual amount of bac water people start with — is there a chart somewhere? I normally go with 1mL, which makes my 40mg vials pretty concentrated…

I still have 2 more 40mg vials sitting here that I intend to use. I keep going back and forth on trying tirz, but I've never used tirz at all…and since I've already been on reta, I'm concerned it won't work as well.

Another path is to stop everything and drop the last 20 on my own — though from what I've read, a lot of people put the weight back on after they come off GLPs. Is that because they don't keep up the lifestyle changes?

Is there any chance I can someday be GLP-free and not weigh a gazillion pounds? 😭
Out of pure curiosity: what would occur if someone injected only bacteriostatic water?
 
Enyola said:

So Reta is giving me that injection site reaction that shows up later. It isn't the bac water causing it — it happens with every shot, even when I dial the dose down a bit. I don't think it's a true allergy; it's more like my immune system reacting, and I figure I'm in the group that develops antibodies.

Would adding more bac water help? And what's the usual amount of bac water people start with — is there a chart somewhere? I normally go with 1mL, which makes my 40mg vials pretty concentrated…

I still have 2 more 40mg vials sitting here that I intend to use. I keep going back and forth on trying tirz, but I've never used tirz at all…and since I've already been on reta, I'm concerned it won't work as well.

Another path is to stop everything and drop the last 20 on my own — though from what I've read, a lot of people put the weight back on after they come off GLPs. Is that because they don't keep up the lifestyle changes?

Is there any chance I can someday be GLP-free and not weigh a gazillion pounds? 😭
Out of pure curiosity: what would occur if someone injected only bacteriostatic water?
Not a single thing happened. Zero response — not even from the water my supplier provides. Still, I moved over to Hospira anyway, just to be safe.
 
NarrowSparrow said:

My bad — the vial is 40mg, but my actual dose isn’t 40mg. I’m on 8mg. I was wondering if using a larger amount of bacteriostatic water might reduce the injection site reactions I keep getting. As for reconstituting it, I have no idea what volume to use — the supplier didn’t include any directions. 😬
Was das Anmischen von Reta betrifft, geben viele Hersteller 1 ml bakteriostatisches Wasser pro 5 mg Pulver als optimalen Richtwert an. Direkt aus dem Kühlschrank sollte man die Lösung jedoch nie zubereiten; empfohlen werden 37 °C. Ich lebe in Thailand, wo die Umgebungstemperatur regelmäßig über 30 °C liegt – deshalb hole ich das Produkt selbst aus dem Kühlschrank und lasse es eine Stunde im Schatten stehen, bevor ich es anmische. Aus diesem Grund ist es sinnvoll, beim Anmischen eine größere Menge bakteriostatisches Wasser zu verwenden.
 
Back
Top