Stopping GLP-1 Drugs Triggers Weight Regain 4x Faster Than Ending Exercise

cygnus said:

It comes down to basic thermodynamics. The number of calories exercise can actually burn is limited, so as a tool for shedding pounds it falls far short of the calorie shortfalls that GLPs excel at producing. There is no fresh information in this, only sensationalized headlines designed to frighten people.
Back when I was dropping a lb every day, this is what I stumbled on. Nothing but fasting. No exercise at all. 21 days straight with no food. That was 10/23. Since that point, I've been figuring out that everything I was taught regarding diet and exercise is completely wrong. The only person who decides what I turn into is me. Nobody else has a say in what I put in my mouth or what my body puts out.

YMMV
 
JoonyO said:

cygnus said:

It comes down to basic thermodynamics. The number of calories exercise can actually burn is limited, so as a tool for shedding pounds it falls far short of the calorie shortfalls that GLPs excel at producing. There is no fresh information in this, only sensationalized headlines designed to frighten people.
Back when I was dropping a lb every day, this is what I stumbled on. Nothing but fasting. No exercise at all. 21 days straight with no food. That was 10/23. Since that point, I've been figuring out that everything I was taught regarding diet and exercise is completely wrong. The only person who decides what I turn into is me. Nobody else has a say in what I put in my mouth or what my body puts out.

YMMV
Couldn't agree more — 1000%. Still, there's a major difference worth pointing out. Both my spouse and I take GLP1s, but we don't handle it the same way. The number on the scale has dropped by the same amount for each of us, yet I step on a body comp scale every day to track fat % lost against lean/muscle % gained.

Bottom line: I train every day, and I'm seeing close to 8% fat mass loss alongside roughly 7% lean/muscle gain. For her, the loss has been even across both.

The delta on the scale looks identical for the two of us, but the body comp outcome is a completely different story!
 
jw717us said:


Agreed 1000% It is however a big distinction. My spouse and I are both on GLP1s but our approach is different. We've lost the same amount of weight but I'm using a body comp scale daily to monitor fat % loss vs lean/muscle gain %.

At the end of the day I'm working out daily and I'm seeing almost 8% fat mass loss and 7ish% lean/muscle gain. She has lost both evenly.

We both show the same delta on weight but end result is huge in body comp!

Click to expand...
Nobody is saying exercise is pointless. It brings plenty of advantages! The point is simply that plenty of folks refuse to acknowledge how they eat, believing that once they begin going to the gym, that alone will cancel out poor eating habits. It won't.
 
tubby said:


I don't think anyone is suggesting you shouldn't work out. There are huge benefits that come from it! Just that there are a lot of people in denial in regards to their diets who think that if they start hitting the gym that will make up for a bad diet. It won't.

Click to expand...
Absolutely. That goes double if they pick up a 500 calorie smoothie right as they leave the gym!
 
swimmer said:

When my insurance first cut me off ozempic I gained 20 pounds in 2 months.
Were there any shifts in how you ate or how much you moved? If you spend a stretch of time taking in more calories than your maintenance level, gaining weight is the obvious outcome.
 
Honestly, this isn't really any different from yo-yo dieting. Over the course of her life, I've watched my mom drop a lot of weight and put it all back on several times. For certain people, I believe the pull of unhealthy food is just too powerful, and it doesn't matter whether the weight came off through dieting and sheer willpower, or through a semi-forced diet with help from a GLP-1 — either the willpower runs out after dieting for so long, or the training wheels that a GLP-1 provides are taken away, and everything unravels.

I'm beginning to question whether appetite and satiety have a major genetic basis. A few people are simply genetically lucky, with very little appetite and satiety that kicks in quickly. And perhaps GLP-1 peptides are simply the great equalizer.
 
Adham said:

swimmer said:

When my insurance first cut me off ozempic I gained 20 pounds in 2 months.
Were there any shifts in how you ate or how much you moved? If you spend a stretch of time taking in more calories than your maintenance level, gaining weight is the obvious outcome.

Yes, what I ate shifted. That full/off signal for food stopped working once more. My workout routine didn't change at all: I swim over 6 miles weekly, plus 1 or 2 hikes per week with a 1000 foot climb. Add in some cycling and lifting now and then. You've got it right — my calorie intake went way up.
 
dogmom said:

Does the length of time someone takes it play a role, I wonder? By now I've used glp1s for close to 3 years. There have been stretches of 4 weeks or longer where I took none at all, yet my weight and eating habits haven't changed. That said, had I quit at the 6-month mark, I suspect all the weight would have come back and then extra on top.

What I'm aiming for is to build stronger habits across the board, so that during any pause from the medication I won't go off the rails. There could be something to your idea about how long someone stays on the meds. It's possible that you've picked up healthier routines along the way.
 
Everyone I come across who reports regaining the weight plus extra shares one common problem: relentless hunger that shows up after they starved themselves down to their target weight.

As for me, I've been tapering my doses on purpose so that I actually feel hunger. Going all day without real hunger, or having a hard time hitting my macros, isn't something I want.
 
swimmer said:

Adham said:

swimmer said:

When my insurance first cut me off ozempic I gained 20 pounds in 2 months.
Were there any shifts in how you ate or how much you moved? If you spend a stretch of time taking in more calories than your maintenance level, gaining weight is the obvious outcome.

Yes, what I ate shifted. That full/off signal for food stopped working once more. My workout routine didn't change at all: I swim over 6 miles weekly, plus 1 or 2 hikes per week with a 1000 foot climb. Add in some cycling and lifting now and then. You've got it right — my calorie intake went way up.
If I quit taking them, that would describe me exactly. I've made my peace with the fact that, for me, hunger is something I can tolerate, and I don't always need to feel "full" while eating or immediately afterward — plus I've stayed active and genuinely enjoy the gym. The real issue is entirely the food noise. Even today, I'll feel real hunger and recognize that I should eat, yet it's been incredibly liberating not to have to act on it right away. I can wrap up whatever I'm doing, occasionally even get pulled into something else, and only then recall that I still need to eat. The decades when thoughts about food occupied the number one spot in my head every single day are finished — and honestly I'm a bit angry that these drugs and grey market purchases weren't around back then! — and I refuse to return to that misery. I'm on tirz because it handled the food noise better than sema, though if by the time I reach maintenance, or even further down the line, there's an API that specifically targets food noise, I'd likely switch to it. Then again, tirz is tirzing and I have 4 years' worth sitting in my freezer, so maybe I'll just stay on it until the end.
 
Why is it treated as a problem to stay on something for life when it lowers the chances of heart attacks, strokes, dementia and more? Compare that with vitamins and supplements, which people swallow hoping for just a sliver of what a glp1 delivers.
 
swimmer said:

Why is it treated as a problem to stay on something for life when it lowers the chances of heart attacks, strokes, dementia and more? Compare that with vitamins and supplements, which people swallow hoping for just a sliver of what a glp1 delivers.
And then there's the whole matter of food noise. My wife now sees something she calls “How normal people relate to food”, and it has really opened her eyes. That background noise was always something she fought against, and even when she succeeded, the fight never let up. When you stack the easing of THAT mental burden on top of every other possible upside? For a person in her situation, I honestly can't think of a single reason not to stay on at least a minimum dose!
 
What’s more, few studies were at low risk of bias.

Click to expand...

Click to expand...

This matters a great deal. Feed bias in, and what comes out is a biased conclusion.

Another thing that matters: in what manner did patients stop? In every FDA study I've looked at, the dose gets yanked from therapeutic straight down to zero. (Keep in mind, therapeutic is not the same thing as the max dosage.)

Picture someone on an SSRI whose doctor dropped them from a therapeutic dose to zero — the world would call that malpractice on the doctor's part.

It's possible, just POSSIBLY possible, that some people are able to stop and others are not, exactly the way it works with SSRIs. That isn't some brand new idea.

There's a vested interest on the companies' side in pushing the weight gain narrative. Why would they even bother trying to taper patients off?

Bias in data is something we have to watch for. At least this one comes right out and admits it.

Edit:

For the record, we need to advocate for ourselves, and if that means you need the med, then please take care of yourself!

My beef is the bias data producing headlines.
 
Things like this ought to make it illegal for insurers to drop people's coverage. On top of that, we had already paid upfront for our coverage contracts, and then they go and alter them partway through the year.
 
Before starting Reta, I worried that I would need to stay on it permanently to hold onto the weight I lost. Back then I was eating carnivore style, one meal a day, and the scale kept climbing anyway. A health coach helped me see the problem: even with clean food and a deep calorie deficit, I had dieted my thyroid into the ground, and my body kept pushing its baseline metabolism lower in response. Switching to 3 meals a day that included carbs (1800 calories) turned things around. The weight didn't fall off dramatically, but at last the trend pointed the right way.

That brings me to my point. If you take something like Reta, the root reason you put on weight in the first place still has to be dealt with. Low thyroid, low testosterone, eating at McDonald's every day, inflammatory foods, and so on. Getting off the GLP1s means tackling that first.

Still, even though I believe I am now handling the original cause of my weight gain, I am seriously thinking about staying on Reta for life at a maintenance dose once I reach my target weight. The additional benefits that Reta and other peptides offer beyond weight loss are too good to pass up.

Our modern world is nowhere near pristine, and that creates a range of health problems, since pollution in the environment and the food supply is hard to dodge. So my thinking has shifted: lifelong peptide stacks and TRT may be reasonable adaptations for modern living. A lot of the illnesses people usually die from are metabolic in origin and come from things such as chronic inflammation. Cancer, heart disease, diabetes, Alzheimer's (type 3 diabetes), and others.

When you weigh the price of a bit of TRT and peptides (alongside a clean diet and exercise) against doctor visits, drugs, and hospital stays, this new "lifestyle" looks far cheaper over the long haul. I am not out of the woods yet, but compared with 6 months ago I am doing much better.
 
For the rest of my life, I'll be taking these in some form or another. The weight loss has been incredible, but the mental benefits are even greater.

There's a lot of truth to the idea that the pounds return quickly once the meds stop. This week I was on holiday and skipped a dose, and even in that brief window I noticed I could eat considerably more, and I felt the mental urge to do exactly that.
 
Knowing this is the best possible advantage, because information is power. If you plan it properly, you could even build more muscle, or you could adjust your exercise routine to offset the weight gain.
 
Chucky said:

Everyone I come across who reports regaining the weight plus extra shares one common problem: relentless hunger that shows up after they starved themselves down to their target weight.

As for me, I've been tapering my doses on purpose so that I actually feel hunger. Going all day without real hunger, or having a hard time hitting my macros, isn't something I want.

That's precisely my experience. I wind up heavier than my starting weight. For me, this is a lifelong commitment — I'll always be on some kind of GLP.
 
Back
Top