Stopping GLP-1 Drugs Triggers Weight Regain 4x Faster Than Ending Exercise

trojanpeptide

Explorer
Joined
Nov 9, 2025
Messages
76
Reaction score
0
Location
saskatoon, canada
trojanpeptide said:

Another study confirming the obvious...

Stopping weight loss drugs linked to weight regain and reversal of heart health markers​#-stopping-weight-loss-drugs-linked-to-weight-regain-and-reversal-of-heart-health-markersAverage regain is 0.4kg/month and all weight lost likely to be regained in under 2 years

Weight regain faster after stopping weight loss drugs than after dietary weight loss programmes
If that holds up, it supports the position of people who insist they'll never come off them.

Others find that prospect deeply unappealing.
 
Does the length of time someone takes it play a role, I wonder? By now I've used glp1s for close to 3 years. There have been stretches of 4 weeks or longer where I took none at all, yet my weight and eating habits haven't changed. That said, had I quit at the 6-month mark, I suspect all the weight would have come back and then extra on top.
 
When my insurance first cut me off ozempic I gained 20 pounds in 2 months.
 
100% certain I'd re-fatten fast coming off the meds — even by the end of a week I can feel myself struggling far more to make good choices.
 
You ought to take a look at what my LDL cholesterol does when I pause statins for a month 😒
 
"Weight regain faster after stopping weight loss drugs than after dietary weight loss programmes."

That doesn't shock me, and it isn't proof that glps don't work.

When someone loses weight by changing what they eat and moving more, they're building routines and overhauling their whole lifestyle. So it follows that easing up on those habits leads to a slower bounce-back, whereas quitting glps without any other changes makes the return of weight much sharper.

Unless I'm missing something. The piece never dug into the specifics of who took part.

What I'd really like to know is how things turn out for folks who pair glps with diet and exercise, then keep up those habits once they stop the peptides.
 
It comes down to basic thermodynamics. The number of calories exercise can actually burn is limited, so as a tool for shedding pounds it falls far short of the calorie shortfalls that GLPs excel at producing. There is no fresh information in this, only sensationalized headlines designed to frighten people.
 
Twowheelr2 said:

Any diet you stop produces the same numbers. Weight watchers, keto, carnivore, paleo. Return to how you used to eat and move, and the scale returns to where it was.
I'm curious about what the real numbers look like for regaining weight after something like WW, for instance. Years back, my sister went on WW and dropped roughly a 150lbs over 2 years, but then a death in our family happened and she put 175lbs back on in close to a year — alarmingly quick.

These days my sister takes a glp1, and from her highest weight she's down 220+ and is only about 5lbs from no longer being obese, which has never happened for her before. Like me, she'll likely stay on a glp1 for life. Obesity has run through our entire family.
 
Mr.Tired said:

"Weight regain faster after stopping weight loss drugs than after dietary weight loss programmes."

That doesn't shock me, and it isn't proof that glps don't work.

When someone loses weight by changing what they eat and moving more, they're building routines and overhauling their whole lifestyle. So it follows that easing up on those habits leads to a slower bounce-back, whereas quitting glps without any other changes makes the return of weight much sharper.

Unless I'm missing something. The piece never dug into the specifics of who took part.

What I'd really like to know is how things turn out for folks who pair glps with diet and exercise, then keep up those habits once they stop the peptides.
There's a study I remember reading about roughly 20 years back — I can't locate it now — that looked at the tiny fraction of people who managed to keep weight off long term. From what I recall, the takeaway was that those few individuals rebuilt their entire existence around staying at that weight. They were completely single-minded, and everything else took a back seat. Their job didn't matter. Their family didn't matter. Nothing did. If a dinner with relatives meant exceeding the calorie limit — no. If a family gathering got in the way of exercising — no. If a job came with hours that clashed with the weight-maintenance lifestyle — no.

Living that way isn't something I think I'd be capable of, even if I wanted to. And I don't want to.
 
I posed a question to ChaptGPT: if I reached my goal weight while taking 4 mg per week, what maintenance dose would be required? The answer it gave me was 8 mg. 🙄
 
A common saying is: a bad diet can't be outrun.

What that means is that working out by itself won't help you drop meaningful pounds. Your eating habits are what need fixing!

It stands to reason the opposite would also be true, so going back to how you used to eat would cause weight to come back far more quickly than going back to sitting around all day.
 
tubby said:

A common saying is: a bad diet can't be outrun.

What that means is that working out by itself won't help you drop meaningful pounds. Your eating habits are what need fixing!

It stands to reason the opposite would also be true, so going back to how you used to eat would cause weight to come back far more quickly than going back to sitting around all day.
That phrase is new to me. A different saying I've come across is "You can't outrun your fork" haha
 
TBH, staying on them for life wouldn't bother me. Still, obviously the ideal scenario is not needing them at all.
 
The media sure seems to enjoy running this kind of story. To me, it fits right into the way our culture is fixated on — even obsessed with — shaming people for being fat, treating obesity as though it were a choice of lifestyle rather than a disease that affects some people.... And as though glp-1 medications were some kind of "cheating".

As far as I can remember, neither Lilly nor NN ever claimed these drugs would cure obesity. 🤷🏻‍♂️
 
trojanpeptide said:

Another study confirming the obvious...

Stopping weight loss drugs linked to weight regain and reversal of heart health markers​#-stopping-weight-loss-drugs-linked-to-weight-regain-and-reversal-of-heart-health-markersAverage regain is 0.4kg/month and all weight lost likely to be regained in under 2 years

Weight regain faster after stopping weight loss drugs than after dietary weight loss programmes

My take is that this applies to every kind of weight loss, since the medication isn't the real issue. What's really going on is that we're surrounded by excess, where grabbing something quick costs less and is easier to get than it was in the days when eating was simply about staying alive. A friend of mine had bypass surgery and didn't alter anything in her routine that would make her outcome stick, and my sister did the same. The way people think is that food equals a treat and shows up at every event. It's frightening that without a lifestyle change backed by science, whatever you lose won't last. The drugs or the operations give the body some help, and we have to supply the self-control. That self-control is the piece we have to bring if we want to keep the win going long term. I'm not perfect and I haven't fully figured out my own connection to food. Untangling this takes time and goes hand in hand with being honest about it. You'll also run into addiction swapping, most often alcohol or nicotine. (My sister and my friend both lean on those a lot) and I'll admit the same for myself. my vape is pretty much a pacifier for grown-ups. That's down to me not having nailed down self-control or gotten my mind under control yet. (Which I'm trying to do) but yeah. The gains will slip away and the results will shrink, though not because of the medication. Big Pharma and healthcare would rather we stay heavy and sick. And they can go eat a bag of eggplants. Because there's no way I'll ever be the heavy friend. I'm happy on this side of things where I'm lean. Being lean gives girls (like me) the same kind of advantage men get from being muscular. Maybe even more so for muscles, since they show dedication, self-control, and self-control.
 
Back
Top