Sticking Niimbot Labels on 3mL Pen Cartridges: Adhesive Falls Short

PatchyFog

Explorer
Joined
Feb 17, 2025
Messages
16
Reaction score
0
Location
California
I realize this is a pretty narrow question, but I moved my research subjects over from vials to pens since pens are simply far more pleasant to work with, and now I have to supply them with a steady stream of medication cartridges that need labeling. What's going wrong: with the usual Niimbot 12x40 labels, if I place them lengthwise along the pen cartridge, the curve runs along the label's length rather than across its width (the way it does on a vial), and the glue isn't strong enough to resist that long pull.

My workaround so far has been to stick a bit of Scotch tape at both ends, but it looks terrible, and even that tape tends to lift unless I run it the whole way around the cart. I also gave "spiraling" the label along the perpendicular axis a shot; it looks awful and only holds slightly better (not much of an improvement).

Carts that are inserted straight into a pen don't have this issue, because the cart holder mostly keeps the label pressed down, but these pen carts arrive on their own and have to travel a fair distance before reaching the research subject's pen.

Any suggestions?

(Also, has anyone been printing 3 ml pen cart cases? I haven't checked yet, but it would be handy to have something that holds about 4 carts without pens for short-term fridge storage.)
 
PatchyFog said:

I realize this is a pretty narrow question, but I moved my research subjects over from vials to pens since pens are simply far more pleasant to work with, and now I have to supply them with a steady stream of medication cartridges that need labeling. What's going wrong: with the usual Niimbot 12x40 labels, if I place them lengthwise along the pen cartridge, the curve runs along the label's length rather than across its width (the way it does on a vial), and the glue isn't strong enough to resist that long pull.

My workaround so far has been to stick a bit of Scotch tape at both ends, but it looks terrible, and even that tape tends to lift unless I run it the whole way around the cart. I also gave "spiraling" the label along the perpendicular axis a shot; it looks awful and only holds slightly better (not much of an improvement).

Carts that are inserted straight into a pen don't have this issue, because the cart holder mostly keeps the label pressed down, but these pen carts arrive on their own and have to travel a fair distance before reaching the research subject's pen.

Any suggestions?

(Also, has anyone been printing 3 ml pen cart cases? I haven't checked yet, but it would be handy to have something that holds about 4 carts without pens for short-term fridge storage.)
For pen cartridge labeling, give 30×15mm-355pcs White a shot
 
Rezwalker said:

PatchyFog said:

I realize this is a pretty narrow question, but I moved my research subjects over from vials to pens since pens are simply far more pleasant to work with, and now I have to supply them with a steady stream of medication cartridges that need labeling. What's going wrong: with the usual Niimbot 12x40 labels, if I place them lengthwise along the pen cartridge, the curve runs along the label's length rather than across its width (the way it does on a vial), and the glue isn't strong enough to resist that long pull.

My workaround so far has been to stick a bit of Scotch tape at both ends, but it looks terrible, and even that tape tends to lift unless I run it the whole way around the cart. I also gave "spiraling" the label along the perpendicular axis a shot; it looks awful and only holds slightly better (not much of an improvement).

Carts that are inserted straight into a pen don't have this issue, because the cart holder mostly keeps the label pressed down, but these pen carts arrive on their own and have to travel a fair distance before reaching the research subject's pen.

Any suggestions?

(Also, has anyone been printing 3 ml pen cart cases? I haven't checked yet, but it would be handy to have something that holds about 4 carts without pens for short-term fridge storage.)
For pen cartridge labeling, give 30×15mm-355pcs White a shot
One thing worth mentioning: a 3 ml pen cart measures roughly 37mm around, meaning that sticker would cover nearly the full circumference, distributing the stress while still leaving a window to check the fluid level. That said, I don't own an m2/m3 Niimbot (my collection is just a b1 & D11 & D110 -- much like pens, they're addictive to purchase!). I may need to pick one up regardless....
 
PatchyFog said:

I realize this is a pretty narrow question, but I moved my research subjects over from vials to pens since pens are simply far more pleasant to work with, and now I have to supply them with a steady stream of medication cartridges that need labeling. What's going wrong: with the usual Niimbot 12x40 labels, if I place them lengthwise along the pen cartridge, the curve runs along the label's length rather than across its width (the way it does on a vial), and the glue isn't strong enough to resist that long pull.

My workaround so far has been to stick a bit of Scotch tape at both ends, but it looks terrible, and even that tape tends to lift unless I run it the whole way around the cart. I also gave "spiraling" the label along the perpendicular axis a shot; it looks awful and only holds slightly better (not much of an improvement).

Carts that are inserted straight into a pen don't have this issue, because the cart holder mostly keeps the label pressed down, but these pen carts arrive on their own and have to travel a fair distance before reaching the research subject's pen.

Any suggestions?

(Also, has anyone been printing 3 ml pen cart cases? I haven't checked yet, but it would be handy to have something that holds about 4 carts without pens for short-term fridge storage.)
Labels aren't something I can assist with, though I did pick up a cartridge case from etsy that's decently priced and does the job.


https://www.etsy.com/listing/1880934005/cartridge-holder-box-for-injector-pen
 
Back
Top