State your 'specialty'

Civil engineering consultant.

My schooling involved plenty of calculus and physics. In the end, though, the whole thing comes down to two rules: water flows downhill, and waste rolls downhill.

You're welcome.
 
CranberryRocker said:

Grogu said:

My background is heavier on hands-on experience than on formal expertise. Still, the topics I know best include using GLP-1 drugs over the long term, trying out multiple GLP-1 and amylin-based options, losing a substantial amount of weight, and managing all of that after having had bariatric surgery in the past.

Peptide testing is another area where I have gone quite deep. I have put together independent testing groups, which means I have learned firsthand about the logistics, the expenses, the laboratories, the shipping, how to read results, and the occasional mess that arises when you are trying to coordinate a big crowd of peptide fans.

I also hold a PhD, and the work I have done professionally has left me at ease with research methods, statistics, survey design, and asking whether the conclusions people reach are genuinely backed by the evidence. Arguably the most valuable thing I bring from my education and training is the ability to read, grasp, and critically assess medical studies. I am certainly not a clinician or a chemist. What I am is stubborn, doubtful, and inclined to keep digging into a question well past the point where most people would have given up.

Last, I guess my “actual” specialty is roaming the peptide galaxy from my home planet of Coruscant.
Another PhD holder here — my field was Analytical Surface Chemistry, covering powders, adhesives, coatings, surface treatments, corrosion and failure mechanisms, for both industrial and biological uses… boring, I know. I also hold an MSc in Analytical Chemistry, which included all those delightful chromatographies, separations and mass spectrometry. That makes me skilled at spotting what COAs leave out and at digging into scientific papers. On top of that, I'm a gadget enthusiast for craft, DIY and home renovation, and labelling has turned into my latest fixation.

My husband is a PhD software engineer, so I've gotten good at working around assorted 'projects with bugs' that are wip by using low tech fixes.

Looking back at both my MS and PhD, the thing I feel worst about is that I never got the chance to study analytical chemistry in depth — things like HPLC or LC-MS. Whenever I requested training, I was brushed off
 
lastresort said:

CranberryRocker said:

Grogu said:

My background is heavier on hands-on experience than on formal expertise. Still, the topics I know best include using GLP-1 drugs over the long term, trying out multiple GLP-1 and amylin-based options, losing a substantial amount of weight, and managing all of that after having had bariatric surgery in the past.

Peptide testing is another area where I have gone quite deep. I have put together independent testing groups, which means I have learned firsthand about the logistics, the expenses, the laboratories, the shipping, how to read results, and the occasional mess that arises when you are trying to coordinate a big crowd of peptide fans.

I also hold a PhD, and the work I have done professionally has left me at ease with research methods, statistics, survey design, and asking whether the conclusions people reach are genuinely backed by the evidence. Arguably the most valuable thing I bring from my education and training is the ability to read, grasp, and critically assess medical studies. I am certainly not a clinician or a chemist. What I am is stubborn, doubtful, and inclined to keep digging into a question well past the point where most people would have given up.

Last, I guess my “actual” specialty is roaming the peptide galaxy from my home planet of Coruscant.
Another PhD holder here — my field was Analytical Surface Chemistry, covering powders, adhesives, coatings, surface treatments, corrosion and failure mechanisms, for both industrial and biological uses… boring, I know. I also hold an MSc in Analytical Chemistry, which included all those delightful chromatographies, separations and mass spectrometry. That makes me skilled at spotting what COAs leave out and at digging into scientific papers. On top of that, I'm a gadget enthusiast for craft, DIY and home renovation, and labelling has turned into my latest fixation.

My husband is a PhD software engineer, so I've gotten good at working around assorted 'projects with bugs' that are wip by using low tech fixes.

Looking back at both my MS and PhD, the thing I feel worst about is that I never got the chance to study analytical chemistry in depth — things like HPLC or LC-MS. Whenever I requested training, I was brushed off
What made you want to pursue it, and what led to it being discouraged?
 
Pocket said:

3D printing is how I earn my living — I run a modest print farm out of my home. If anyone has questions about 3dprinting, I'm glad to lend a hand. Beyond that, I produce my own cold process soaps, serums, and capsulated supplements. I wouldn't call myself an expert in any of those areas, but I do know what I'm doing at least.
If only we lived next door to each other!
 
It's quite reassuring to see so many bright, highly educated folks — PhDs and the like — doing gray research. Every so often I catch myself thinking I'd have to be crazy to be poking around in this area.
 
During my time in the army I was a decent parachute rigger, though getting into that m.o.s. doesn't take much. For 20 years I worked at a Walmart grocery warehouse, where I picked up some pretty solid forklift abilities. As a part-time magician, I make my wife's savings account vanish. There was a time I could set my farts on fire—I really miss the more limber younger me. Beyond those things, I'm fairly useless, apart from occasionally providing a good laugh.
 
I've been an amateur athlete my whole life, and for a short period was technically a professional one (our NGB made that possible). I've both worked alongside and been employed by pro athletes — humans and horses alike — competing as high as the 5*/Olympic level.

Those who work professionally with horses (or really any animal) end up collaborating very closely with veterinarians, whether for sudden problems or ongoing upkeep and management. Along the way you pick up how to handle plenty of tasks yourself, injections included.

On top of that, I used to be a professor in a totally different discipline, so I have the skills to do research.
 
tcpnomad said:

It's quite reassuring to see so many bright, highly educated folks — PhDs and the like — doing gray research. Every so often I catch myself thinking I'd have to be crazy to be poking around in this area.
Having a PhD doesn't mean you've got common sense 😂

lastresort said:

CranberryRocker said:

Grogu said:

My background is heavier on hands-on experience than on formal expertise. Still, the topics I know best include using GLP-1 drugs over the long term, trying out multiple GLP-1 and amylin-based options, losing a substantial amount of weight, and managing all of that after having had bariatric surgery in the past.

Peptide testing is another area where I have gone quite deep. I have put together independent testing groups, which means I have learned firsthand about the logistics, the expenses, the laboratories, the shipping, how to read results, and the occasional mess that arises when you are trying to coordinate a big crowd of peptide fans.

I also hold a PhD, and the work I have done professionally has left me at ease with research methods, statistics, survey design, and asking whether the conclusions people reach are genuinely backed by the evidence. Arguably the most valuable thing I bring from my education and training is the ability to read, grasp, and critically assess medical studies. I am certainly not a clinician or a chemist. What I am is stubborn, doubtful, and inclined to keep digging into a question well past the point where most people would have given up.

Last, I guess my “actual” specialty is roaming the peptide galaxy from my home planet of Coruscant.
Another PhD holder here — my field was Analytical Surface Chemistry, covering powders, adhesives, coatings, surface treatments, corrosion and failure mechanisms, for both industrial and biological uses… boring, I know. I also hold an MSc in Analytical Chemistry, which included all those delightful chromatographies, separations and mass spectrometry. That makes me skilled at spotting what COAs leave out and at digging into scientific papers. On top of that, I'm a gadget enthusiast for craft, DIY and home renovation, and labelling has turned into my latest fixation.

My husband is a PhD software engineer, so I've gotten good at working around assorted 'projects with bugs' that are wip by using low tech fixes.

Looking back at both my MS and PhD, the thing I feel worst about is that I never got the chance to study analytical chemistry in depth — things like HPLC or LC-MS. Whenever I requested training, I was brushed off
Learning by doing helps you grasp how something is done, but studying the material gives you the strong foundation needed to interpret what the outcomes actually signify. Nuances always exist, and someone out there will always be more specialised with a deeper grasp than yours. PM is a good example—from what I understand, he was already involved long before he finished his degree.
 
I'm on the verge of getting the platinum trophy for The Last of Us 2, and it required around 5 runs on grounded/grounded+ difficulty, so I'd say I'm an authority on that
 
Not joking, I used to be a semi pro gymnast. These days I work at a really popular gym in SoCal, and I'm also wrapping up the prerequisites I need for nursing school, so this whole area is a huge part of my daily life. Being surrounded by bodybuilders so often is something I genuinely enjoy as a sport. My goal is to go into labor and delivery nursing.
 
tcpnomad said:

lastresort said:

CranberryRocker said:

Grogu said:

My background is heavier on hands-on experience than on formal expertise. Still, the topics I know best include using GLP-1 drugs over the long term, trying out multiple GLP-1 and amylin-based options, losing a substantial amount of weight, and managing all of that after having had bariatric surgery in the past.

Peptide testing is another area where I have gone quite deep. I have put together independent testing groups, which means I have learned firsthand about the logistics, the expenses, the laboratories, the shipping, how to read results, and the occasional mess that arises when you are trying to coordinate a big crowd of peptide fans.

I also hold a PhD, and the work I have done professionally has left me at ease with research methods, statistics, survey design, and asking whether the conclusions people reach are genuinely backed by the evidence. Arguably the most valuable thing I bring from my education and training is the ability to read, grasp, and critically assess medical studies. I am certainly not a clinician or a chemist. What I am is stubborn, doubtful, and inclined to keep digging into a question well past the point where most people would have given up.

Last, I guess my “actual” specialty is roaming the peptide galaxy from my home planet of Coruscant.
Another PhD holder here — my field was Analytical Surface Chemistry, covering powders, adhesives, coatings, surface treatments, corrosion and failure mechanisms, for both industrial and biological uses… boring, I know. I also hold an MSc in Analytical Chemistry, which included all those delightful chromatographies, separations and mass spectrometry. That makes me skilled at spotting what COAs leave out and at digging into scientific papers. On top of that, I'm a gadget enthusiast for craft, DIY and home renovation, and labelling has turned into my latest fixation.

My husband is a PhD software engineer, so I've gotten good at working around assorted 'projects with bugs' that are wip by using low tech fixes.

Looking back at both my MS and PhD, the thing I feel worst about is that I never got the chance to study analytical chemistry in depth — things like HPLC or LC-MS. Whenever I requested training, I was brushed off
What made you want to pursue it, and what led to it being discouraged?
Those in academia questioned why they should invest effort in someone outside their own group. Beyond that, practical analytical abilities carry over into a wide range of chemistry disciplines.
 
This place draws quite a few fascinating folks. That's exactly what makes it such a solid forum. As for my own niche: I'm a devoted husband, and my wife and I grow together daily. Beyond that, I'm a jack of all trades — plumbing, electrical, carpentry, soap making, cooking, brewing, home distilling... I enjoy building things... I put together a horizontal bandsaw mill. I fell trees on my land and mill my own lumber.
 
HouseCat said:


THIS!!! There were a f*ck ton of book-smart but life-and-common-sense-deficient people in my doctoral program. I feel bad for their patients. And I feel bad for me that I had to spend years with them! LOL!

Click to expand...
When it came to academics, my first wife was incredibly sharp, yet her everyday judgment and street savvy were practically nonexistent. She earned several degrees while hardly needing to study, but making a PB&J was beyond her!
 
Back
Top