Starting dose and week 1 results?

WLBLD

Explorer
Joined
Jan 30, 2026
Messages
329
Reaction score
0
Location
GA
What was your weight loss like during week 1 when you began? Did you begin at the recommended 2.5, or did you go with something lower?

Did that end up being the most you lost, or not?

For me, week 1 just happened, and I started at 1mg since Im sensitive, just to be safe. I think Ive dropped close to 2lbs (tomorrow makes a week), but I also got TOM and came down with the flu along with the rest of my household.

One thing I did notice: my usual body aches and foot pain when I wake up improved a lot (like 80% better) even while I was sick. Really hoping that sticks around!

Naturally everyones different, but Im just trying to get a sense of what everyones experience has looked like 🙂
 
I can't remember the precise figure, but roughly 5 lbs came off during week one. Motivation-wise that was a boost, yet as a measurement it means little. No two journeys look alike. Back then I was at my heaviest and my eating habits were poor. At the same time I overhauled my diet, began logging what I ate, and added exercise. To me the medication is one more tool, while the real effort to better my overall health is mine. I built my exercise routine up gradually so I wouldn't burn out and quit.

My starting dose was 2.5mg weekly, and I held at 2.5 for a number of months while weight kept coming off steadily. Over the past several months I've raised the dosage because progress stalled, though it's still a fairly low dose. The medicine worked well for me; others have different experiences. So many factors are involved. The great news is my clothes fit better and I feel better each month. A lower BF% would still be nice, but I could be content where I am today. Over the long term I've dropped 55 lbs across about 14 months. That averages just under 1lb per week. Some weeks brought a gain, some were flat, but the overall trend went down.

Make the changes and be patient with yourself.
 
Congrats on getting going! For a lot of folks, tirzepatide ends up being a really effective medication.

As for me, I couldn't tell you the number from week one, and I wasn't tracking things closely. That said, plenty of people say they drop a fair bit in that first week, likely from water, inflammation, or whatever else...

My own start was at the recommended 2.5mg, and I moved up fairly fast. Same caveat about poor records, but I'd guess I increased about every 8 weeks. The side effects I had were mild (constipation mostly), which made moving up feel manageable.

These days, I'd say the usual advice is to go up when hunger or food noise comes back, or when your loss plateaus, provided you're handling the medication okay.

Congrats again on starting and making it through week one, and I hope you feel better!
 
I dropped 5 pounds during week 1. I doubt much of that was actual fat — I think it came from the placebo effect plus a 2.2mg tirz dose that abruptly put an end to my overeating. Because I'd been overeating before (with the water retention that follows from too much food, too many carbs, and too much salt), those 5 pounds were largely water weight that simply came off.
 
The number on the scale during week 1 of this whole journey is irrelevant.

For me, week 1 brought a 6lb drop. Over the 29 days I was on Tirz before making the switch to Reta, I was down 10lb altogether. Then across the 45 days since starting Reta, I've lost 19lb. That adds up to 29lb over 73 days.

That 3lb jump near the start of Feb is almost certainly temporary water retention tied to beginning TRT.





1843a89c822df700749371397ad59e923b7690e28d2bf7ff47d6ec9fe50ee049.webp
 
woundcarping said:

The number on the scale during week 1 of this whole journey is irrelevant.

For me, week 1 brought a 6lb drop. Over the 29 days I was on Tirz before making the switch to Reta, I was down 10lb altogether. Then across the 45 days since starting Reta, I've lost 19lb. That adds up to 29lb over 73 days.

That 3lb jump near the start of Feb is almost certainly temporary water retention tied to beginning TRT.





View attachment 11126
On each of the two, did your experience feel any different? And did you keep your eating pattern identical across both?
 
WLBLD said:

woundcarping said:

The number on the scale during week 1 of this whole journey is irrelevant.

For me, week 1 brought a 6lb drop. Over the 29 days I was on Tirz before making the switch to Reta, I was down 10lb altogether. Then across the 45 days since starting Reta, I've lost 19lb. That adds up to 29lb over 73 days.

That 3lb jump near the start of Feb is almost certainly temporary water retention tied to beginning TRT.





View attachment 11126
On each of the two, did your experience feel any different? And did you keep your eating pattern identical across both?

On both, my eating is unrestricted, though with Reta I make certain to include carbs.

As for how they feel… Tirz had a stronger slowing effect on the lower GI tract, and that was something I liked. One week prior to changing over to Reta I began working out, and 9 days after the switch I started TRT… there are too many variables for any real comparison.
 
woundcarping said:

WLBLD said:

woundcarping said:

The number on the scale during week 1 of this whole journey is irrelevant.

For me, week 1 brought a 6lb drop. Over the 29 days I was on Tirz before making the switch to Reta, I was down 10lb altogether. Then across the 45 days since starting Reta, I've lost 19lb. That adds up to 29lb over 73 days.

That 3lb jump near the start of Feb is almost certainly temporary water retention tied to beginning TRT.





View attachment 11126
On each of the two, did your experience feel any different? And did you keep your eating pattern identical across both?

On both, my eating is unrestricted, though with Reta I make certain to include carbs.

As for how they feel… Tirz had a stronger slowing effect on the lower GI tract, and that was something I liked. One week prior to changing over to Reta I began working out, and 9 days after the switch I started TRT… there are too many variables for any real comparison.
Which milligram dosage are you taking?
 
WLBLD said:

woundcarping said:

WLBLD said:

woundcarping said:

The number on the scale during week 1 of this whole journey is irrelevant.

For me, week 1 brought a 6lb drop. Over the 29 days I was on Tirz before making the switch to Reta, I was down 10lb altogether. Then across the 45 days since starting Reta, I've lost 19lb. That adds up to 29lb over 73 days.

That 3lb jump near the start of Feb is almost certainly temporary water retention tied to beginning TRT.





View attachment 11126
On each of the two, did your experience feel any different? And did you keep your eating pattern identical across both?

On both, my eating is unrestricted, though with Reta I make certain to include carbs.

As for how they feel… Tirz had a stronger slowing effect on the lower GI tract, and that was something I liked. One week prior to changing over to Reta I began working out, and 9 days after the switch I started TRT… there are too many variables for any real comparison.
Which milligram dosage are you taking?

What exactly is that referring to?
 
Hey --- that's awesome. You've started down the path toward dropping some weight!

During my own 1st week at 2.5 mg, watching changes begin was genuinely exciting, but my approach was to stay steady and not step on the scale again until 2 or 3 weeks had passed at that same level. Looking back, I can't recall it ever feeling like some huge drop of several pounds; still, a few pounds weekly compounds fast. My time at 2.5mg lasted only 1 month, after which I went to 5mg for another month, and so on --- the main reason being fear that my compounding pharmacy supply would be cut off, so I wanted to squeeze in maximum progress before that could happen. That was a pretty dumb move. A better plan would have been to remain at a given dosage until the hunger noise returned, and only then titrate up. Bottom line: a little over 50# came off across 7 months, and that's roughly where things stand for me now. No real diet changes happened on my end, other than reacting to a lack of appetite by simply not eating ... I also should have paid attention to the warnings about muscle loss and been more vigilant with regular exercise to preserve it.
 
woundcarping said:

WLBLD said:

woundcarping said:

WLBLD said:

woundcarping said:

The number on the scale during week 1 of this whole journey is irrelevant.

For me, week 1 brought a 6lb drop. Over the 29 days I was on Tirz before making the switch to Reta, I was down 10lb altogether. Then across the 45 days since starting Reta, I've lost 19lb. That adds up to 29lb over 73 days.

That 3lb jump near the start of Feb is almost certainly temporary water retention tied to beginning TRT.





View attachment 11126
On each of the two, did your experience feel any different? And did you keep your eating pattern identical across both?

On both, my eating is unrestricted, though with Reta I make certain to include carbs.

As for how they feel… Tirz had a stronger slowing effect on the lower GI tract, and that was something I liked. One week prior to changing over to Reta I began working out, and 9 days after the switch I started TRT… there are too many variables for any real comparison.
Which milligram dosage are you taking?

What exactly is that referring to?
You said you began with Tirz and later moved to Reta. What was the dosage in mg for each 🙂
 
WLBLD said:

woundcarping said:

WLBLD said:

woundcarping said:

WLBLD said:

woundcarping said:

The number on the scale during week 1 of this whole journey is irrelevant.

For me, week 1 brought a 6lb drop. Over the 29 days I was on Tirz before making the switch to Reta, I was down 10lb altogether. Then across the 45 days since starting Reta, I've lost 19lb. That adds up to 29lb over 73 days.

That 3lb jump near the start of Feb is almost certainly temporary water retention tied to beginning TRT.





View attachment 11126
On each of the two, did your experience feel any different? And did you keep your eating pattern identical across both?

On both, my eating is unrestricted, though with Reta I make certain to include carbs.

As for how they feel… Tirz had a stronger slowing effect on the lower GI tract, and that was something I liked. One week prior to changing over to Reta I began working out, and 9 days after the switch I started TRT… there are too many variables for any real comparison.
Which milligram dosage are you taking?

What exactly is that referring to?
You said you began with Tirz and later moved to Reta. What was the dosage in mg for each 🙂
Tirz was dosed at 2.5mg twice a week for me. These days I'm on Reta at 4-5mg twice weekly, and there's a chance I'll reintroduce some Tirz.
 
WLBLD said:

What was your weight loss like during week 1 when you began? Did you begin at the recommended 2.5, or did you go with something lower?

Did that end up being the most you lost, or not?

For me, week 1 just happened, and I started at 1mg since Im sensitive, just to be safe. I think Ive dropped close to 2lbs (tomorrow makes a week), but I also got TOM and came down with the flu along with the rest of my household.

One thing I did notice: my usual body aches and foot pain when I wake up improved a lot (like 80% better) even while I was sick. Really hoping that sticks around!

Naturally everyones different, but Im just trying to get a sense of what everyones experience has looked like 🙂
I went with a 3mg starting dose. The reason was simple: with a 60mg vial and 3ml water, the numbers work out easily. After month 1 I moved to 6, and right now I'm on 7.5.

During my first "week" I dropped 6 lbs. For me, shots and weigh-ins are spaced 6 days apart. After that it was about 3 lbs each week. There were 1 or 2 stalls. They seem to show up any time I have a few Premier protein shakes mixed with milk. My guess is something with dairy. I'm lactose intolerant.

I put "week" in quotes because, after reading here, I decided to inject every 6 days.

Weight loss hasn't been the only upside. I used to be on 3 BP meds. Because my BP got too low and I had dizzy spells when standing, I had to stop 2 of them. My knees and ankles hurt less. On the other hand, my skin is sensitive; it almost feels like my hair follicles are extra sensitive?

I would really like to see a Dr about the BP meds, but I'm offshore for months at a time, and there are no Dr's out here.
 
Back
Top