So queasy and struggling to eat now

jperiod

Explorer
Joined
Mar 30, 2026
Messages
36
Reaction score
0
Location
southwest
On 8/28 I went up from 3 mg to 3.4 mg (divided into 1.7 mg doses, taken twice weekly). I felt fine, and the weight began coming off quicker (1 pound weekly rather than the 0-0.5 lb I'd seen for months while slowly raising my dose).

Following my 1.7 dose on 9/12, the weight loss clearly sped up, with a pound gone in just a few days. Then my next 1.7 dose came on 9/16, and since then I've felt noticeably fuller sooner and queasy most of the time. Getting in enough protein/food has become really difficult. I took 1.7 as usual on 9/19 as well.

Since 9/17 I've dropped 2 more pounds, so it's not that I'm necessarily losing too fast, but I'm thinking I should step down so I can actually get enough food in. I'm just not sure what the best fix is. Or should I stay at this dose a while longer and see whether it gets better?

Today would normally be a dosing day for me. At 3 mg I wasn't really losing anything, so it surprises me that 3.4 is such a dramatic shift. And it's odd that the queasiness needed a couple weeks to build up. Would dropping just 0.2 mg, down to 3.2, really make a meaningful difference in my ability to eat? Should I hold off on today's dose and restart at 1.6 on Saturday? Just take 1.6 today? Push through with 1.7? Ugh, I'd really like to keep losing at the 2 lb rate, but it isn't sustainable if I keep feeling like this.
 
Chungus said:

I'd stick with your current amount. As time goes on, it will improve. It doesn't seem to be affecting you all that badly.
Exactly?....During my first week on a low dose of tirz, I vomited...but once I got to the middle of the week, things improved a lot, and other than a few spells of stronger side effects whenever I move my dose up, it's been fairly easy going...
 
Those strange figures such as 3.4, 3.2 and reducing by .2mg don't make sense to me. Is a reconstitution formula what you're using to work this out?
 
BNLFL said:

Those strange figures such as 3.4, 3.2 and reducing by .2mg don't make sense to me. Is a reconstitution formula what you're using to work this out?
Since I use a pen, I'm able to measure out the units exactly. Back in August I was on 3 units, which meant 1.5 mg injected two times per week. Then on 8/28 I moved up to 1.7 twice weekly, but problems showed up following my 9/16 dose. At 1.5 I wasn't dropping any weight, yet at 1.7 I'm unable to eat enough. So I'm trying to figure out my next step - should I go back down, hold out longer, or something else?
 
jperiod said:

Since I use a pen, I'm able to measure out the units exactly. Back in August I was on 3 units, which meant 1.5 mg injected two times per week. Then on 8/28 I moved up to 1.7 twice weekly, but problems showed up following my 9/16 dose. At 1.5 I wasn't dropping any weight, yet at 1.7 I'm unable to eat enough. So I'm trying to figure out my next step - should I go back down, hold out longer, or something else?
Hold on — a whole 1mg jump? Our titration steps were 2mg each, all the way up to 10mg, and my wife sits at 12mg. I dealt with the very same thing until I got to 6mg; I barely ate anything, though I did get my protein in. By the time I reached 10mg I was at my goal and eating normally, just a lot less. Probably my stomach shrank. I can also measure precisely with my .5 and .3ml syringes, but for the larger doses I need a 1ml.

Did you mix it yourself, and what amount of BAC are you using? How large are your Reta vials?
 
BNLFL said:

Hold on — a whole 1mg jump? Our titration steps were 2mg each, all the way up to 10mg, and my wife sits at 12mg. I dealt with the very same thing until I got to 6mg; I barely ate anything, though I did get my protein in. By the time I reached 10mg I was at my goal and eating normally, just a lot less. Probably my stomach shrank. I can also measure precisely with my .5 and .3ml syringes, but for the larger doses I need a 1ml.

Did you mix it yourself, and what amount of BAC are you using? How large are your Reta vials?
1 ml BAC to 10 mg of reta. Right now I've got 30 mg vials (4 of us are pinning, so that's why). Only during this past week have I been unable to get enough protein in. How would going up by 1 mg do any good?? I don't get it.
 
Just to give some perspective on how effective doses can vary: my husband worked his way up gradually to 3 mg and has dropped 27 lbs since 5/9. My son has stayed at 0.8 mg and is down 41 lbs. My mom began a month after the rest of us and has only just increased to 2 mg, and she's losing 1 lb/week. I'm on the highest dose, 3.4 mg, going up .4-.6mg every 4 weeks, yet I've had the slowest loss of everyone. That said, I'm in perimenopause, so my dr figures that's probably a factor.
 
Well, every one of E Lilly's trials increased the dose by 2mg each 4 weeks. I'm not a doctor — I'm just going off what happened to me personally, plus the many, many hours I spent reading and researching before I began on the first of January, and I kept reading after that too. If it's working for you, that's great. I have no idea about the pre menopause side of things. All of this is only my opinion.
 
BNLFL said:

Those strange figures such as 3.4, 3.2 and reducing by .2mg don't make sense to me. Is a reconstitution formula what you're using to work this out?
Truthfully, going up in tiny steps so you can watch how your system responds is the much wiser approach. When the increases are small, your body has an easier time getting used to them. As for big pharma, they've basically never offered the best guidance on how often to dose anything. Probably deliberately.
 
Redz said:

Truthfully, going up in tiny steps so you can watch how your system responds is the much wiser approach. When the increases are small, your body has an easier time getting used to them. As for big pharma, they've basically never offered the best guidance on how often to dose anything. Probably deliberately.
Well, that means I'm not smart then. As I already mentioned, this is just my opinion, drawn from what my wives and I have gone through ourselves.
 
jperiod said:


I increased from 3 mg to 3.4 mg on 8/28 (split in 1.7 mg doses twice a week). I felt normal and weight started dropping faster (1 pound a week instead of the 0-0.5 lb for months as I slowly increased my dose).

After my 1.7 dose on 9/12, weight started going noticeably faster, loosing a pound in a few days. My next dose of 1.7 was on 9/16 and I've noticeably felt more full faster and nauseous most of the time since then. I'm having a really hard time getting enough protein/food. I dosed 1.7 as usual on 9/19 too.

I've lost 2 more pounds since 9/17 so I'm not necessarily dropping too fast but I'm thinking I need to go down so I can get enough food in, but not sure the best way to correct. Or should I hang out at this dose longer to see if it improves?

Today would usually be my dosing day. I wasn't really losing anything on 3 mg, so I'm surprised 3.4 is such a wild change. And it's weird the nauseousness took a couple weeks to build. Could just dropping 0.2 mg to 3.2 actually make a real difference in being able to eat? Should I skip the dose today and start again at 1.6 on Saturday? Just do 1.6 today? Trudge through with 1.7? Ugh, I really would like to lose at the 2 lb rate, but it's not sustainable if I continue to feel like this.

Click to expand...
It's possible that what you're experiencing is the result of the larger dose of the glucagon agonist — the thinking being that it really begins to make itself felt at around 4mg. When side effects hit and how hard varies from person to person. Like I said, they tend to be short-lived and fade away within a few weeks. Should they get too rough, there's nothing embarrassing about stepping down a bit and letting them pass before trying to move up again. I'm still recovering from my own jump from 4 to 6mg, and after a week back at 4 I'm now at 5mg.

On top of all that, perimenopause brings a completely different set of complications into play, ones that tend to be poorly documented and poorly understood — at least among men. If I had to deal with what the women in my life go through, I doubt I'd make it a week. 😳😆
 
here are a few paths you could take:

1 - remain at 1.7 and attempt to put up with the discomfort for one more week, then reassess

2 - insert another day between your split doses and check whether that extra 24 hours improves things (you are your own research subject. There is no rule saying split dosing has to fit within 7 days)

3 - return to the dose you were on before
 
Back
Top