So I had cancer ...

MsGizmo

Explorer
Joined
Jun 27, 2025
Messages
61
Reaction score
0
Location
Toledo, Ohio
First off, I'm fine. There, that's out of the way. Stage 2 colon cancer was the diagnosis. For this kind of cancer, the survival rate sits at 91%.

Second point: nothing about my cancer ties back to GLP1 use or any other peptide. Judging by how big the tumor was, it had been growing in a cancerous state for a minimum of 5 years, possibly longer. That predates even my awareness of ozempic/wegovy by a wide margin. If anything, it's far more plausible that the GLP1 slowed things down. And I don't want to hear anyone trying to pin this on vaccines or similar nonsense. My tumor would have begun as a precancerous polyp roughly 15-20 years back.

Routine testing my doctor ordered ended up saving my life. He wanted a colonguard test, so I went through with it. That test is deeply embarrassing: you basically shit in a box and mail it somewhere to be analyzed. If your doctor asks you to do it, just do it. A positive result led to a recommendation for a colonoscopy, which is another embarrassing procedure people should get if it's what they need. At that point (May 13th) I was told there was a tumor and that its size made cancer likely. A week later that became official. Then came a rapid series of appointments and tests, culminating in surgery on June 10th to remove the tumor plus a small piece of my colon. The pathology from what they took out got posted sometime today, and I read it a few hours ago. Now that my family and I have had a little celebration, I'm ready to discuss it here.

Next, something some people won't like because it brushes against politics, but I don't care. It's information that matters. The whole ordeal, colongaurd test through surgery, ran me about $1700 out of pocket, all because I have the cheapest of the cheap insurance from the ACA marketplace. That bargain plan covered over $200,000 in surgical costs. My single biggest bill is the CT scan, a little under $800, and the remaining costs are co-pays for various doctor visits. The colonoscopy and the surgery themselves cost me nothing at all. I want to formally apologize for past complaints about high insurance co-pays on the drug plan. Even then I FULLY accepted that the drug co-pays were high because of my own insurance choice, yet I still grumbled publicly. I take it all back. Every whisper of it. Thank god for my cheap insurance.

Whelp. That's how my month has gone. Right now I'm just nursing stitches from the 7 stab wounds a robot gave me and one large slice from where I was partially eviscerated. I expect a full recovery soon.
 
Nice job getting the testing that was advised done and having the tumor taken out. Here's to great health from here on out!

It appears Western medicine does have its uses.
 
Nice one. I was really scared I'd be in the same boat, but it turns out it's Barretts and no insane tumors. It sucks that this is happening to you, but awesome! You're on top of it 🥴🤗
 
Really happy that you came through this and that your recovery went well. I'd been wondering where you'd disappeared to recently.

My dad had almost the same thing happen. Once they took out that little piece, he never had cancer again for the rest of his life. Knowing what he went through, I started getting a colonoscopy every 5 years from age 45 onward. Once I learned about his diagnosis, any awkwardness about the procedure just vanished.

Keep celebrating!
 
Good thing it was found in the early stages. I appreciate you posting about it. Perhaps someone else will benefit from the reminder about how crucial testing is.
 
sheilarae74 said:

Thank goodness it was found in time and you'll pull through. 🙏 My late husband dealt with the same thing, and sadly he didn't do the careful checking you did.
That's exactly why I'm speaking up about this. The key thing is that folks have to actually go through with the screenings, no matter how uncomfortable they might be. Guys, get your prostate exams done. Ladies, keep up with your PAP smears and mammograms. Do the stool sample. Don't let your life end for no reason. And yes, get that inexpensive insurance you can manage, because when everything goes wrong, having some coverage beats having none at all.
 
Chili777 said:

Really happy that you came through this and that your recovery went well. I'd been wondering where you'd disappeared to recently.

My dad had almost the same thing happen. Once they took out that little piece, he never had cancer again for the rest of his life. Knowing what he went through, I started getting a colonoscopy every 5 years from age 45 onward. Once I learned about his diagnosis, any awkwardness about the procedure just vanished.

Keep celebrating!
Until I had a clear prognosis, I wasn't ready to discuss it. The doctors' remarks about the tumor's size and how quickly they scheduled surgery had me convinced it was stage 3. Learning it was only stage 2 came as a relief. Overall, I'm feeling incredibly fortunate this evening.
 
Thanks for posting this. I'll be booking a colonoscopy, a prostate exam, and bloodwork right away. I've been delaying it.
 
Wishing you well as you heal. Nothing can be certain at this stage, but at least 1 study involving colon cancer and GLP's found much higher survival among those on GLP's, and research into other cancers has shown comparable outcomes, so continuing them could be worthwhile.
 
headward said:

Thanks for posting this. I'll be booking a colonoscopy, a prostate exam, and bloodwork right away. I've been delaying it.

8126dbf3cdbfe202dda6ce59a4d1d822c8f66bd2345991ad0088b02cf0dbd169.gif
 
I'd been asking myself where you disappeared to. Good on you for using the litter box and seeing it through to the end. You can't mess around with preventive care—it truly matters. You're living evidence of that! Welcome back!💝

headward said:

Thanks for posting this. I'll be booking a colonoscopy, a prostate exam, and bloodwork right away. I've been delaying it.
Tell us how it turns out. Happy you're going.
 
I'd been wondering whether you were doing alright, so hearing you're getting better is great news.

That must have been terrifying. It's a relief it was caught at stage 2, and a relief those crappy ACA healthplans existed. I've also been vocal about the insurance my employer sponsors, since it refuses to cover glp-1s, though honestly it's decent coverage apart from that. Maybe I should quit grumbling….

I'm with you on Cologuard being a bit embarrassing, mainly since they make zero effort to hide what the box is. The UPS guy for my area is aware I'm shitting in the box, and then the staff at the UPS store are aware what's inside the box 😂😂😂. Couldn't they simply ship it in a plain box and be done with it? Still, I do one yearly or thereabouts, and I'm not so embarrassed that I skip it. I use Cologuard direct. They contact me straight through email and I bypass my pcp entirely. 🤷🏻‍♂️

Glad you're okay. Hang in there.
 
headward said:

Thanks for posting this. I'll be booking a colonoscopy, a prostate exam, and bloodwork right away. I've been delaying it.
All of those procedures are behind me now, and what a weight off my shoulders. Sure, they turned up some problems and issues — but at least none of it is cancer or polyps, and that's what matters.
 
Grogu said:

I'd been wondering whether you were doing alright, so hearing you're getting better is great news.

That must have been terrifying. It's a relief it was caught at stage 2, and a relief those crappy ACA healthplans existed. I've also been vocal about the insurance my employer sponsors, since it refuses to cover glp-1s, though honestly it's decent coverage apart from that. Maybe I should quit grumbling….

I'm with you on Cologuard being a bit embarrassing, mainly since they make zero effort to hide what the box is. The UPS guy for my area is aware I'm shitting in the box, and then the staff at the UPS store are aware what's inside the box 😂😂😂. Couldn't they simply ship it in a plain box and be done with it? Still, I do one yearly or thereabouts, and I'm not so embarrassed that I skip it. I use Cologuard direct. They contact me straight through email and I bypass my pcp entirely. 🤷🏻‍♂️

Glad you're okay. Hang in there.
Yeah, I gripe about my plan as well — the deductible is insane — but the treatment I receive is genuinely top-notch. At times we fail to appreciate how fortunate we actually are.
 
Colon cancer rates among younger individuals have risen for reasons that aren't clear. Screening is now advised to begin at 45. It's no longer something only those of us who are older need to think about. Sure, a colonoscopy isn't a pleasant experience, but it beats discovering you're already at stage 3 or 4.
 
It's great that you followed through on everything you needed to do! For the past couple of weeks I've been pushing my husband to schedule a colonoscopy—for both of us. I'll be showing him this post! Thanks for posting, and I'm really glad things worked out as well as they possibly could for you.
 
I'm relieved that you came through it fine, and every one of these suggestions is solid. The speed of your treatment was quite impressive.
 
With colon cancer being discussed so much lately, I hope it stays fresh in everyone's mind. I grew up around medicine — my father practiced as a doctor, my mother is a retired nurse, one cousin specializes in kidneys, and a sister worked as a surgery room tech — so I've always been near medical professionals, and I'm grateful it taught me that screenings and tests are the right path. Only 2 weeks ago, alongside blood work for my annuals, I mailed off my colonguard "sample". Seeing just 1 word on the results — negative — made me really happy. Still, had it shown positive, I'd have pushed my doctor nonstop for the earliest colonoscopy available!

Glad that's behind you, MsG!
 
Back
Top