Small fridge and freezer combo usage

Whiynot20026

Explorer
Joined
May 8, 2026
Messages
264
Reaction score
0
Location
Colorado
We picked up a compact Costco refrigerator — the Danby brand. The freezer portion works well. What's problematic is that the fridge section gets completely drenched in water. I've watched several youtube clips about this problem and advice against using it. We do have hydropack containers with silica packets, but it seems like this might be risky. Simply not a suitable clinical arrangement for sterile peps. Does anyone know about this or have experience with this kind of setup over the years? Thanks. We haven't placed any Pepitides in it yet; we're in the testing phase. And so far the excessive moisture accumulation isn't impressing me.

Bill
 
I don't have firsthand experience with that specific model, but in my case, other compact fridges I've owned tended to collect a lot of moisture, and the door gasket was typically the culprit. It could be that the door is misaligned, preventing the seal from closing correctly, or the gasket itself just isn't enough to close the gap completely. When this happened to me before, I picked up some additional automotive weather stripping and applied a length of it around the door to guarantee a tight seal, which solved the issue in my situation. That said, I can't say whether this applies to your problem. YMMV.
 
Pocket said:

I don't have firsthand experience with that specific model, but in my case, other compact fridges I've owned tended to collect a lot of moisture, and the door gasket was typically the culprit. It could be that the door is misaligned, preventing the seal from closing correctly, or the gasket itself just isn't enough to close the gap completely. When this happened to me before, I picked up some additional automotive weather stripping and applied a length of it around the door to guarantee a tight seal, which solved the issue in my situation. That said, I can't say whether this applies to your problem. YMMV.
I doubt the seal is the problem. Whenever the door gets opened, humid air enters, and there’s no escape route for it. So condensation forms at the rear, around the coils. My question is whether it’s fine to use the hydropack and silica packs given how much moisture is inside the fridge. The temperature stays where it should.

Bill
 
Whiynot20026 said:

Pocket said:

I don't have firsthand experience with that specific model, but in my case, other compact fridges I've owned tended to collect a lot of moisture, and the door gasket was typically the culprit. It could be that the door is misaligned, preventing the seal from closing correctly, or the gasket itself just isn't enough to close the gap completely. When this happened to me before, I picked up some additional automotive weather stripping and applied a length of it around the door to guarantee a tight seal, which solved the issue in my situation. That said, I can't say whether this applies to your problem. YMMV.
I doubt the seal is the problem. Whenever the door gets opened, humid air enters, and there’s no escape route for it. So condensation forms at the rear, around the coils. My question is whether it’s fine to use the hydropack and silica packs given how much moisture is inside the fridge. The temperature stays where it should.

Bill
Just test it and see. Buy a few inexpensive humidity sensors from Amazon, then run a trial before you risk destroying any peptides in there.
 
Over the years I've gone through multiple mini fridges at various office jobs. Working in IT, when one kicked the bucket—and they kicked the bucket often, on a regular basis—we'd pull the fans out of them. My impression is they aren't built to last; the typical design and sales pitch targets dorms or tiny offices. I wouldn't put my stash in one, no way.
 
Back
Top