Sizes changing faster the lighter I get

HereInTX

Explorer
Joined
May 20, 2025
Messages
8
Reaction score
0
Location
Austin, TX
So a good chunk of weight has come off over the last year (good news), and I've completely lost track of what size I am in any shop (bad news). I'm stuck in that awkward L/XL/1X middle ground where you have to check the real measurements of every single garment just to have a chance of it fitting. The odd part is that at a bigger size I could lose 30 lbs before anything got loose enough to swap out. Now two inches seem to have gone from my waist and I'm already needing a smaller size.

The “Paper Towel” Analogy puts it well: "When you are heavy, you are big around. And when you are big around, that fat is spread over a MUCH larger area - just like that outside towel sheet. The closer you get to the lean you, the more each lost pound of fat shows, because it is spread over a smaller area."

Is anyone else seeing the same thing? There's a cute Christmas dress I've spotted, but I've no clue what size I'll be wearing by then.
 
Vinted has turned into my new best friend — the good stuff there is cheap enough that a poor fit doesn't bother me much. Judy Blues in there for $8-10, which is wild. A Lands End jacket for $5, in what I'm GUESSING will be my winter size (??). Beyond that site, the local thrift shops for the same reason.

If you've reached goal, that's a different conversation, but when your size is shifting every couple of months, options like that win, IMHO of course.
 
spanky2026 said:

Vinted has turned into my new best friend — the good stuff there is cheap enough that a poor fit doesn't bother me much. Judy Blues in there for $8-10, which is wild. A Lands End jacket for $5, in what I'm GUESSING will be my winter size (??). Beyond that site, the local thrift shops for the same reason.

If you've reached goal, that's a different conversation, but when your size is shifting every couple of months, options like that win, IMHO of course.
Poshmark is where I've been, but Vinted is next on the list. The thrift shops round here are priced absurdly. So far my approach has been to live in leggings and t-shirts, and to pick up "outside clothes" a size or two smaller and simply wait for them to fit. Fitting into one of those right away is always a nice surprise.
 
Not for a second saying you shouldn't treat yourself, since now and then you should. Christmas is a loooong way off though.

How much more you intend to lose by then probably matters, along with the sort of dress you have your eye on.

I picked up a couple of brand new pairs of pants and shirts last April and donated the lot last week. That side of this "journey" costs a great deal more than the peptides I take to get there.
 
Back
Top