Should I increase my dose or stay put?

FLglpguy

Explorer
Joined
May 28, 2026
Messages
75
Reaction score
0
Location
FL
I began taking Tirz on May 7th 2026, and by today, June 29th — which works out to 53 days — I've dropped precisely 35lbs!!!!

Starting weight: 386lbs
Current weight: 351lbs
My height is 6'2" — to put it mildly, I'm thrilled.

Food noise has been completely absent for me, and it remains that way right now. The standard schedule I've stuck to is: 2.5mg for 4 weeks, then 5mg for 4 weeks, and this coming Wednesday, July 1st, the plan is for me to step up to 7.5mg.

What I'm wondering is whether I ought to increase the dose given how strongly I've already responded at the lower amounts. Moving up simply because it's the next step doesn't appeal to me. Initially, I'm leaning toward remaining at 5mg until food noise reappears. As far as I understand, having a larger percentage of the medication circulating in my body doesn't translate into burning extra fat or providing any other benefit.

I'd appreciate hearing what you all think and any advice you might have.
 
FLglpguy said:

I began taking Tirz on May 7th 2026, and by today, June 29th — which works out to 53 days — I've dropped precisely 35lbs!!!!

Starting weight: 386lbs
Current weight: 351lbs
My height is 6'2" — to put it mildly, I'm thrilled.

Food noise has been completely absent for me, and it remains that way right now. The standard schedule I've stuck to is: 2.5mg for 4 weeks, then 5mg for 4 weeks, and this coming Wednesday, July 1st, the plan is for me to step up to 7.5mg.

What I'm wondering is whether I ought to increase the dose given how strongly I've already responded at the lower amounts. Moving up simply because it's the next step doesn't appeal to me. Initially, I'm leaning toward remaining at 5mg until food noise reappears. As far as I understand, having a larger percentage of the medication circulating in my body doesn't translate into burning extra fat or providing any other benefit.

I'd appreciate hearing what you all think and any advice you might have.
After 7 months on Tirz, my experience is that stretching out each dose level for as long as you can works best. In my case that means 10mg taken on a 5-day cycle, so spacing doses closer than the usual 7 days is another option. My advice would be to remain on 5mg for as long as possible, and once hunger returns or the food noise comes back, that's the signal to either increase the dose (not necessarily to 7,5mg — a smaller step is fine) or switch to a schedule like mine at every 5th day, or even every 6th day. There are plenty of ways to go about it.
 
I didn't increase my dose until either my appetite suppression faded or my weight loss stalled. Basically, when it comes to raising your dose, pay attention to what your body is telling you. As for the dosing schedules from the trials, ignore them—unless you're fine with paying extra when there's no real need.
 
JohannesSweden77 said:

FLglpguy said:

I began taking Tirz on May 7th 2026, and by today, June 29th — which works out to 53 days — I've dropped precisely 35lbs!!!!

Starting weight: 386lbs
Current weight: 351lbs
My height is 6'2" — to put it mildly, I'm thrilled.

Food noise has been completely absent for me, and it remains that way right now. The standard schedule I've stuck to is: 2.5mg for 4 weeks, then 5mg for 4 weeks, and this coming Wednesday, July 1st, the plan is for me to step up to 7.5mg.

What I'm wondering is whether I ought to increase the dose given how strongly I've already responded at the lower amounts. Moving up simply because it's the next step doesn't appeal to me. Initially, I'm leaning toward remaining at 5mg until food noise reappears. As far as I understand, having a larger percentage of the medication circulating in my body doesn't translate into burning extra fat or providing any other benefit.

I'd appreciate hearing what you all think and any advice you might have.
After 7 months on Tirz, my experience is that stretching out each dose level for as long as you can works best. In my case that means 10mg taken on a 5-day cycle, so spacing doses closer than the usual 7 days is another option. My advice would be to remain on 5mg for as long as possible, and once hunger returns or the food noise comes back, that's the signal to either increase the dose (not necessarily to 7,5mg — a smaller step is fine) or switch to a schedule like mine at every 5th day, or even every 6th day. There are plenty of ways to go about it.
Splitting your dose is another option. For me, it kept the 6th day hunger away. I went with every 3 1/2 days. It keeps you from climbing in dose as quickly. Everyone responds differently, but that's what worked in my case
 
Deonitis said:

I didn't increase my dose until either my appetite suppression faded or my weight loss stalled. Basically, when it comes to raising your dose, pay attention to what your body is telling you. As for the dosing schedules from the trials, ignore them—unless you're fine with paying extra when there's no real need.
I used to be completely bound to injecting once per week and bumping the dose by 2,5mg, simply because the doctor presented that as the only option available. At the moment I'm testing out a schedule of every 5th day to see how that goes. Perhaps I'll switch to taking half a dose every 3rd day. Only time will reveal what works. One thing I'm certain of: a 7-day interval doesn't suit me, since I have no desire to spend 2 days out of every week feeling terrible.
 
I stand 6'2". My starting weight was 386lbs, and I've dropped to 351lbs --- that's 53 days of Tirz.

I'm aiming for 220lbs.
 
FLglpguy said:

I stand 6'2". My starting weight was 386lbs, and I've dropped to 351lbs --- that's 53 days of Tirz.

I'm aiming for 220lbs.
For me, the deciding factor was what the scale showed.

Don't increase until the current dose stops doing its job.

There are people who reached their target while staying below 10mg the whole time.

I stayed on each step for 13 weeks before moving to 7.5, and I reached my goal while on 12.5.





d4aa5b793ed078901af83204dadf994f9ec1b26e2bf8deb3a29f94f27674ac03.webp
 
Losing weight steadily and safely is what matters. My take: remain at your current dose for a month once it quits doing its job, and if the scale stops dropping, then increase. Keeping to the smallest dose that still works, for the longest stretch possible, brings the fewest side effects and the lowest expense. According to the trials, staying on the maximum dose from the start offers very little extra benefit versus moving up to it only after progress halts.
 
At a low dose you're doing really well. Don't change anything while that keeps working. Should the food noise return, or should your weight sit flat for a number of weeks, then it's time to increase. Unfortunately, a day may arrive when even the top dose only holds your weight steady, and you'll want to delay that day for as long as you can. Early on seems to be when these drugs deliver their biggest drops, and then things slow down as your body gets used to them. Make the most of that by keeping some upward room in reserve in case it happens.
 
I've been using Tirz for more than 8 months now, and my approach is to only increase when the food noise returns and I catch myself reaching for snacks (though my snack picks are mostly fruit and raw carrots). I split my dose, and whenever I do step up, it's by 1mg weekly — meaning 0.5mg added to each of my 2 injections — usually after 6-8 weeks at the same dose. My hope is that this keeps my maintenance dose lower and less expensive (though cost matters far less these days since my freezer is full of gray 😉). I've still got roughly 10-15lbs left to lose and lots of room to adjust, but I'd also think about layering in some Reta or cagri if progress stalled at higher doses.
 
Plenty of folks have said this before me, and I'll add my own two cents: when a dose is still doing its job, sticking with it tends to work out better. The time to bump things up is once the food noise comes back, or if you're aiming to get past a plateau that has dragged on for over 4-8 weeks.
 
What everyone else has already stated is something I can only back up: there's no reason to raise your dose while it's still doing its job, and should those final 2 days ahead of the next pin become difficult, splitting your dose is an option you could try.
 
I'm still working from the same vial that I first punctured on May 7th, the day I began this whole process, which means it's right around the 60 day point now. No cloudiness at all, and I haven't noticed any side effects or food noise whatsoever.

With the 4th of July weekend coming up — ribs, all sorts of indulgent food being grilled — I wanted to make sure nothing breaks through, and I also figured the medication might have weakened slightly, so I went with a tiny increase. Instead of the 25 units (5mg) I'd been drawing, I bumped it to 6.25mg / 32 units on the insulin needle. Once this vial runs out in about 2-3 weeks, I plan to drop back to 5mg, since I expect a fresh vial to hit harder than this 60 day old one.

Appreciate the help and feedback, everyone!
 
Zelmar702 said:

the same chart someone shared earlier
Thanks for posting this flowchart — it's really helpful. From what I've seen personally, it matches up well too.

FLglpguy said:

I'm still working from the same vial that I first punctured on May 7th, the day I began this whole process, which means it's right around the 60 day point now. No cloudiness at all, and I haven't noticed any side effects or food noise whatsoever.

With the 4th of July weekend coming up — ribs, all sorts of indulgent food being grilled — I wanted to make sure nothing breaks through, and I also figured the medication might have weakened slightly, so I went with a tiny increase. Instead of the 25 units (5mg) I'd been drawing, I bumped it to 6.25mg / 32 units on the insulin needle. Once this vial runs out in about 2-3 weeks, I plan to drop back to 5mg, since I expect a fresh vial to hit harder than this 60 day old one.

Appreciate the help and feedback, everyone!
So how did things turn out on the 4th of July?
 
Frandroid said:

Zelmar702 said:

the same chart someone shared earlier
Thanks for posting this flowchart — it's really helpful. From what I've seen personally, it matches up well too.

FLglpguy said:

I'm still working from the same vial that I first punctured on May 7th, the day I began this whole process, which means it's right around the 60 day point now. No cloudiness at all, and I haven't noticed any side effects or food noise whatsoever.

With the 4th of July weekend coming up — ribs, all sorts of indulgent food being grilled — I wanted to make sure nothing breaks through, and I also figured the medication might have weakened slightly, so I went with a tiny increase. Instead of the 25 units (5mg) I'd been drawing, I bumped it to 6.25mg / 32 units on the insulin needle. Once this vial runs out in about 2-3 weeks, I plan to drop back to 5mg, since I expect a fresh vial to hit harder than this 60 day old one.

Appreciate the help and feedback, everyone!
So how did things turn out on the 4th of July?
I went completely overboard, like it was spring break in Daytona and my girlfriend was waiting back home. Beer was flowing, whiskey was poured heavily, and I ate pizza, steak, and fries. I fully committed to cheating!!!! Letting loose made me feel really good about myself. When I stepped on the scale today, it read 351lbs — the exact same number as June 29th, before all the celebrating. A bunch of relatives visited, and I had a great time alongside everyone else. I made a point of NOT being the person who holds back and lectures others on what they should or shouldn't do.
 
Back
Top