Short trip, no flights: how should I handle Reta doses?

Gigibear

Explorer
Joined
Feb 17, 2026
Messages
8
Reaction score
0
Location
ENC
Hey everyone — traveling with medication is nothing new for me since I'm diabetic, but Reta is a recent addition and I keep second-guessing that warning about not shaking it after reconstitution because it breaks down. My trip lasts 10 days and I'll need 2 injections while away. Bringing the whole vial isn't something I want to do. What would you do: load 2 syringes ahead of time, get a pen instead, or go another route? I've got insulin coolers plus a frio pack, and once I arrive it'll stay in the fridge — but am I stressing too much about prefilled syringes getting jostled while riding in my purse or car?
 
The nurse who injects me (botox etc) also does a lot with peptides, and for a short term situation like this she always suggests prefilling, but inside a syringe, which is pretty airtight, degrading from shaking is unlikely.
 
domin8brix said:

The nurse who injects me (botox etc) also does a lot with peptides, and for a short term situation like this she always suggests prefilling, but inside a syringe, which is pretty airtight, degrading from shaking is unlikely.

Thank you
 
Glad to help! To me, the main concern is keeping the plungers from being pushed down and ensuring they remain cold until you're ready to use them.
 
Yep. Watch out. Pressure shifts could force your Reta out. Could you take a small vial, put the dose in it, and carry a few syringes?

Bill
 
Gigibear said:

Hey everyone — traveling with medication is nothing new for me since I'm diabetic, but Reta is a recent addition and I keep second-guessing that warning about not shaking it after reconstitution because it breaks down. My trip lasts 10 days and I'll need 2 injections while away. Bringing the whole vial isn't something I want to do. What would you do: load 2 syringes ahead of time, get a pen instead, or go another route? I've got insulin coolers plus a frio pack, and once I arrive it'll stay in the fridge — but am I stressing too much about prefilled syringes getting jostled while riding in my purse or car?

Many discussions here back up how sturdy GLP1 peptides actually are, and Janoshik has verified this. Based on everything I've come across, the slight jostling during a car journey won't harm your Reta's effectiveness. That said, keeping peptides sitting in a syringe beyond the moment you draw them up and inject is something to be cautious about.
 
Whiynot20026 said:

Yep. Watch out. Pressure shifts could force your Reta out. Could you take a small vial, put the dose in it, and carry a few syringes?

Bill
To me that looks like one more step plus a whole additional container, and if stability is my concern, that struck me as a bad idea.
 
on2jinm said:

Gigibear said:

Hey everyone — traveling with medication is nothing new for me since I'm diabetic, but Reta is a recent addition and I keep second-guessing that warning about not shaking it after reconstitution because it breaks down. My trip lasts 10 days and I'll need 2 injections while away. Bringing the whole vial isn't something I want to do. What would you do: load 2 syringes ahead of time, get a pen instead, or go another route? I've got insulin coolers plus a frio pack, and once I arrive it'll stay in the fridge — but am I stressing too much about prefilled syringes getting jostled while riding in my purse or car?

Many discussions here back up how sturdy GLP1 peptides actually are, and Janoshik has verified this. Based on everything I've come across, the slight jostling during a car journey won't harm your Reta's effectiveness. That said, keeping peptides sitting in a syringe beyond the moment you draw them up and inject is something to be cautious about.
There’s always a big fight over how many weeks a vial or pen stays good, so I’ll skip exact numbers. My vial will be far, far beyond that 1 week mark, so hauling the whole thing along feels pointless.
 
SeaGypsy said:

A pen would be my pick. It's simpler to bring along when traveling, though that's just my personal take.
I'm mulling over the same thing, though being diabetic means I've got syringes everywhere and don't mind using them haha. I'll check around
 
Gigibear said:

Whiynot20026 said:

Yep. Watch out. Pressure shifts could force your Reta out. Could you take a small vial, put the dose in it, and carry a few syringes?

Bill
To me that looks like one more step plus a whole additional container, and if stability is my concern, that struck me as a bad idea.
It won't break down that easily. Cheap little vials are available. Move a handful of doses into one, then throw it away once you're done. Plenty of folks I know handle it that way. Still, everyone has their own preference.
 
I saw that Amazon carries travel cases designed for small vials that keep them cool. Is anyone here using one, or can you point me to a really good option?

Bill
 
Like other people have mentioned, Peter Magic from Janoshik has stated that the issue with shaking isn't a major concern
 
I have a few additional questions related to what was discussed in this thread. My partner and I are heading to Europe for 2.5 weeks, and I don't want to skip my Reta for that entire stretch. My plan was to prepare 2 syringes, because right now I'm only on 6mg/wk, and I just mixed a 60mg vial that I'd prefer not to keep out of the fridge for so long. Shaking doesn't bother me as much, but I'm wondering about how stable the Reta will be after being kept in a toothbrush holder without refrigeration for 2+ weeks. Would that still be fine?
 
Last week, I had 2 prefilled syringes with me on a trip. My reason was that I didn't want to take a chance on my freshly reconstituted cartridges being exposed to temperature swings and ruining everything. Here's what I did: I got a piece of cardboard (an index card, card stock, or something similar works too) and used NIIMBOT labels to stick the syringes onto it. Since I was carrying 2 different peptides, I went with the labels; had they been the same peptide, plain tape on the cardboard would have been enough. Each syringe was taped to the card at the needle cap and right below the top of the plunger. The card's overhang kept both ends of the syringes protected. I put the card into my 4allfamily nomad along with an ice pack, and everything was ready.
 
jjplantgeek said:

I have a few additional questions related to what was discussed in this thread. My partner and I are heading to Europe for 2.5 weeks, and I don't want to skip my Reta for that entire stretch. My plan was to prepare 2 syringes, because right now I'm only on 6mg/wk, and I just mixed a 60mg vial that I'd prefer not to keep out of the fridge for so long. Shaking doesn't bother me as much, but I'm wondering about how stable the Reta will be after being kept in a toothbrush holder without refrigeration for 2+ weeks. Would that still be fine?
When I’m away for something like 2.5 weeks in Europe, I’ll prepare a 3ml vial containing my required dose with a little surplus in case some is lost, and I bring that many insulin syringes, plus 1 additional. Everything is packed in an insulated canister along with an ice pack. Whenever possible I store it in a fridge, or I use ice to maintain a cool temperature, though I don’t worry if it ends up at room temperature. I do steer clear of situations such as leaving it in a hot car, and similar things.

My bigger concern is bacteria multiplying rather than the GLP-1 breaking down. Therefore, anything I bring gets filtered into the 3ml vial. I always plan my travel supply ahead and draw the 3ml travel vial at the time of reconstitution, instead of taking from a vial that has already been punctured.
 
Whiynot20026 said:

I saw that Amazon carries travel cases designed for small vials that keep them cool. Is anyone here using one, or can you point me to a really good option?

Bill
I'll be in the same situation in a few weeks. Could you share that link?
 
BNLFL said:

Whiynot20026 said:

I saw that Amazon carries travel cases designed for small vials that keep them cool. Is anyone here using one, or can you point me to a really good option?

Bill
I'll be in the same situation in a few weeks. Could you share that link?
As far as I can figure, this is the top option to purchase. That said, several members have mentioned using a coffee mug or water bottle with a lid that seals tightly. Stick the vials inside a baggy, then place ice cubes in another baggy to keep things cool. That’s what I’ll be doing. Works for me. Link below.


https://a.co/d/0gEYxQlE


Bill
 
I'm constantly on the move. A handful of pens come along with me. They go into a small travel case — it even included an ice pack and a TSA-Precheck card.

So far, nothing has gone wrong.
 
Whiynot20026 said:

I saw that Amazon carries travel cases designed for small vials that keep them cool. Is anyone here using one, or can you point me to a really good option?

Bill
I rely on this for carrying prefilled syringes when I travel, though small vials would also fit inside. What I appreciate is that it displays the temperature, it doesn't trigger any problems with scanners, and it's compact — which matters because I only take a carry on whenever I go somewhere.

www.amazon.com/dp/B0D2W4YRQ5
 
Back
Top