Severe bloating while on Tirz

iwillloseweight

Explorer
Joined
May 23, 2026
Messages
26
Reaction score
0
Location
New York, NY
I switched from Reta to Tirz because Reta gave me no effects and I put on weight, and Tirz has worked really well. The pounds are coming off, but the bloating is intense. I used to instinctively pull my stomach in, and now I feel like that isn’t even possible. Even though I’m eating far less and staying in a deficit, my belly looks larger than it did before I started any glp.
 
Reports of bloating tied to GLP medications are something I've barely encountered, if ever, yet this symptom shows up all the time with various digestive conditions, IBS in particular. What other GI issues are present — vomiting, hard stools, loose stools — can shift the picture somewhat, but attributing it to the GLP medication is still a reasonable assumption. Without knowing your current dosage or how long ago you last raised it, the clearest fix would be to reduce the amount slightly at your next injection; alternatively, if the discomfort is severe, hold off until things calm down and then take a smaller dose, meaning a delay of several days up to a week. When food intake is the trigger, the usual guidance for glp medications applies: keep portions small, avoid drinking too much alongside meals, and so on. Where the bloated feeling originates matters — if it stems from the stomach due to delayed gastric emptying, that's one thing, whereas if it comes from the intestines or colon, excess gas is typically the culprit, and slower gut motility likely makes that worse. Figuring out whether the pressure sits in the upper or lower digestive tract should make it fairly easy to distinguish between the two.
 
On top of that, it's not just something I've read or heard other people talk about when it comes to how specific foods hit them — I've felt it firsthand. Whenever I have high fat or greasy meals, my stomach feels like there's a rock sitting in it.

here's a quick google explaining the mechanism:

Eating a high-fat diet while on GLP-1 medications like Ozempic or Wegovy can worsen side effects. High-fat and fried foods slow stomach emptying even further, often leading to severe nausea, acid reflux, vomiting, and bloating. Doctors recommend limiting greasy foods and choosing small amounts of healthy fats instead. [1, 2, 3, 4, 5]

Why High-Fat Diets Cause Issues

    • Delayed digestion: GLP-1 drugs already slow down how fast your stomach empties. Adding heavy fats makes this process much slower.
    • Worse side effects: Greasy meals trigger sharp increases in stomach discomfort, heartburn, and nausea.
    • Calorie density: High-fat items crowd out smaller meal spaces meant for essential nutrients. [1, 2, 3, 4, 5]

Foods to Avoid

    • Fried items: French fries, fried chicken, and deep-fried fish.
    • Greasy meats: Sausage, bacon, and heavy fast-food burgers.
    • Heavy sauces: Cream-based sauces, excessive butter, and rich gravies.
    • Processed snacks: Potato chips and heavy cheeses in large amounts

Click to expand...
 
iwillloseweight said:

I switched from Reta to Tirz because Reta gave me no effects and I put on weight, and Tirz has worked really well. The pounds are coming off, but the bloating is intense. I used to instinctively pull my stomach in, and now I feel like that isn’t even possible. Even though I’m eating far less and staying in a deficit, my belly looks larger than it did before I started any glp.
During the early stage of using Tirz, I went through 1 episode just like that. To flush everything out, I took Milk of Magnesia, and the problem was gone in a few hours. It hasn't happened again since, though I still keep GasX around just in case. I hope this turns out to be a 1x occurrence for you as well. From what I understand, if I had had the GasX back then, it would have been a gentler, kinder choice.
 
Back
Top