Senior Dogs?

CariocaLeftSeoul

Explorer
Joined
Feb 19, 2026
Messages
39
Reaction score
0
Location
Orlando, FL
Is anyone here giving peptides to their dogs? I've got a Westie who's 15.5 years old. She's partially blind, partially deaf, dealing with some arthritis, has significant incontinence (indoors she wears diapers), dry eyes, and it's clear her mind isn't always present (though it's not always absent either — she still knows who everyone is and wants pets, but a few times a day she gets that "I came in here for a reason but can't recall it" expression).

I realize her time is limited, but when we took her to the vet a few weeks back for stomach trouble, antibiotics cleared it up and she was otherwise in good health. Has anyone administered anything to their dog purely to boost quality of life or hold off age-related decline — something that helps during these later years when they aren't ill or hurting, just slower and somewhat forgetful?
 
You have my heartfelt empathy—our household takes in older canines, so we've navigated this path multiple times. While I've never given my own dogs peptide injections, I have managed the issues you listed on several occasions.

For the dry eye discomfort, there are inexpensive generic drops available. As for the hearing loss, it could be tied to Doggy Dementia—she may simply zone out for a while, and likely can hear you but is unable to react. Regarding the Arthritis, you might look into Librela (betinvetmab), a monthly Sub-Q shot for Arthritis pain. I've tried it with 2 of my dogs; with one, we felt it possibly sped up the Dementia somewhat. The other dog received it to improve the quality of life she had remaining. Near the end for pain, it was worth every $$. For the Doggy Dementia, there's a tablet called Selegiline (Anipryl) that we purchased and administered a few times. Ultimately we chose it was her time and simply gave it back to the Vet, so someone else could use it, and I can't say whether it would have helped.

On a different topic: my Husky is 10, and he gets Adequan (somewhat like Librela) but closer to PPS (Pentosan Polysulfate Sodium) used for horses and humans (which I take). There's a chew for dogs called Ursolyx, meant to help maintain muscle mass. My Husky's Arthritis is pretty severe; the Adequan is doing well for him, and the Ursolyx has only been a couple months, so we'll see at the next Vet visit.

Wishing you the very best of luck.
 
I've got an older cat, and if there were a peptide that worked like a fountain of youth, I'd happily drop hundreds each month on it 🙁

Ghk-Cu crossed my mind for her, but only for a moment. My worry is that it could carry contaminants — other peptides, heavy metals, or something else harmful. Sure, that's unlikely, but it's not out of the question either. I'll gamble with my own body lol, yet I refuse to gamble with my cat's. Honestly, the most we can manage is keeping them active with play and exercise every day and crossing our fingers. On top of that, she gets fish oil and a bit of microgreens daily, which I hope will keep dementia at bay.





Image unavailable
 
RubbaDubba1 said:

You have my heartfelt empathy—our household takes in older canines, so we've navigated this path multiple times. While I've never given my own dogs peptide injections, I have managed the issues you listed on several occasions.

For the dry eye discomfort, there are inexpensive generic drops available. As for the hearing loss, it could be tied to Doggy Dementia—she may simply zone out for a while, and likely can hear you but is unable to react. Regarding the Arthritis, you might look into Librela (betinvetmab), a monthly Sub-Q shot for Arthritis pain. I've tried it with 2 of my dogs; with one, we felt it possibly sped up the Dementia somewhat. The other dog received it to improve the quality of life she had remaining. Near the end for pain, it was worth every $$. For the Doggy Dementia, there's a tablet called Selegiline (Anipryl) that we purchased and administered a few times. Ultimately we chose it was her time and simply gave it back to the Vet, so someone else could use it, and I can't say whether it would have helped.

On a different topic: my Husky is 10, and he gets Adequan (somewhat like Librela) but closer to PPS (Pentosan Polysulfate Sodium) used for horses and humans (which I take). There's a chew for dogs called Ursolyx, meant to help maintain muscle mass. My Husky's Arthritis is pretty severe; the Adequan is doing well for him, and the Ursolyx has only been a couple months, so we'll see at the next Vet visit.

Wishing you the very best of luck.
Off-topic, but it matters. Anyone using PPS should get a dilated eye exam once a year, and make sure the provider knows about that medication.

If that isn't something you do right now, you can request that whoever prescribes the PPS refer you to someone for monitoring.
 
myopicmystic said:

RubbaDubba1 said:

You have my heartfelt empathy—our household takes in older canines, so we've navigated this path multiple times. While I've never given my own dogs peptide injections, I have managed the issues you listed on several occasions.

For the dry eye discomfort, there are inexpensive generic drops available. As for the hearing loss, it could be tied to Doggy Dementia—she may simply zone out for a while, and likely can hear you but is unable to react. Regarding the Arthritis, you might look into Librela (betinvetmab), a monthly Sub-Q shot for Arthritis pain. I've tried it with 2 of my dogs; with one, we felt it possibly sped up the Dementia somewhat. The other dog received it to improve the quality of life she had remaining. Near the end for pain, it was worth every $$. For the Doggy Dementia, there's a tablet called Selegiline (Anipryl) that we purchased and administered a few times. Ultimately we chose it was her time and simply gave it back to the Vet, so someone else could use it, and I can't say whether it would have helped.

On a different topic: my Husky is 10, and he gets Adequan (somewhat like Librela) but closer to PPS (Pentosan Polysulfate Sodium) used for horses and humans (which I take). There's a chew for dogs called Ursolyx, meant to help maintain muscle mass. My Husky's Arthritis is pretty severe; the Adequan is doing well for him, and the Ursolyx has only been a couple months, so we'll see at the next Vet visit.

Wishing you the very best of luck.
Off-topic, but it matters. Anyone using PPS should get a dilated eye exam once a year, and make sure the provider knows about that medication.

If that isn't something you do right now, you can request that whoever prescribes the PPS refer you to someone for monitoring.
I appreciate that, and I understand where PPS originated. My current medications include a GLP-1, PPS, and Tadalafil, and on top of that I have a mild case of Keratoconus — a progressive eye condition in which the cornea becomes thinner and bulges outward into a cone shape, producing blurred vision, distortion, and high astigmatism. Ever since the Keratoconus diagnosis, I've taken my eye health more seriously, and I've been lucky that it hasn't advanced beyond what was found at 1st diagnosis. I have my eyes examined annually and might eventually switch to 2X a year. I'm in my 50's and I still manage with single vision lenses, with only small vision changes each year.
 
RubbaDubba1 said:

myopicmystic said:

RubbaDubba1 said:

You have my heartfelt empathy—our household takes in older canines, so we've navigated this path multiple times. While I've never given my own dogs peptide injections, I have managed the issues you listed on several occasions.

For the dry eye discomfort, there are inexpensive generic drops available. As for the hearing loss, it could be tied to Doggy Dementia—she may simply zone out for a while, and likely can hear you but is unable to react. Regarding the Arthritis, you might look into Librela (betinvetmab), a monthly Sub-Q shot for Arthritis pain. I've tried it with 2 of my dogs; with one, we felt it possibly sped up the Dementia somewhat. The other dog received it to improve the quality of life she had remaining. Near the end for pain, it was worth every $$. For the Doggy Dementia, there's a tablet called Selegiline (Anipryl) that we purchased and administered a few times. Ultimately we chose it was her time and simply gave it back to the Vet, so someone else could use it, and I can't say whether it would have helped.

On a different topic: my Husky is 10, and he gets Adequan (somewhat like Librela) but closer to PPS (Pentosan Polysulfate Sodium) used for horses and humans (which I take). There's a chew for dogs called Ursolyx, meant to help maintain muscle mass. My Husky's Arthritis is pretty severe; the Adequan is doing well for him, and the Ursolyx has only been a couple months, so we'll see at the next Vet visit.

Wishing you the very best of luck.
Off-topic, but it matters. Anyone using PPS should get a dilated eye exam once a year, and make sure the provider knows about that medication.

If that isn't something you do right now, you can request that whoever prescribes the PPS refer you to someone for monitoring.
I appreciate that, and I understand where PPS originated. My current medications include a GLP-1, PPS, and Tadalafil, and on top of that I have a mild case of Keratoconus — a progressive eye condition in which the cornea becomes thinner and bulges outward into a cone shape, producing blurred vision, distortion, and high astigmatism. Ever since the Keratoconus diagnosis, I've taken my eye health more seriously, and I've been lucky that it hasn't advanced beyond what was found at 1st diagnosis. I have my eyes examined annually and might eventually switch to 2X a year. I'm in my 50's and I still manage with single vision lenses, with only small vision changes each year.
What I'm referring to is the newer findings regarding PPS maculopathy, which harms the retina and leads to loss of vision. Right now, studies and research on it are still ongoing. The thinking is that it depends on how long and how much is taken, yet worry exists that it may keep worsening even once the medication is stopped.

Some individuals rely on this medication to live a full life, so I won't tell anyone to avoid it, but monitoring for any changes matters so that informed choices can be made.

When it comes to keratoconus, because it stems from a genetic predisposition, annual exams are advised for any children you may have. Also, none of you should rub your eyes, since that is known to drive progression.

Options exist to lessen or stop progression, such as cross linking and CTAK. Scleral and gas permeable lenses also do a lot to give patients the best possible visual acuity.
 
Years back, I owned a Siberian Husky who had diabetes. It wasn't peps, but for the final 5 years of his life I administered insulin injections to him 2 times daily. We had seen that he was consuming large amounts of water and urinating everywhere. After bringing him to the vet, he received the diagnosis, and the vet instructed me on the insulin dosage; he appeared to feel a lot better.
 
RubbaDubba1 said:

You have my heartfelt empathy—our household takes in older canines, so we've navigated this path multiple times. While I've never given my own dogs peptide injections, I have managed the issues you listed on several occasions.

For the dry eye discomfort, there are inexpensive generic drops available. As for the hearing loss, it could be tied to Doggy Dementia—she may simply zone out for a while, and likely can hear you but is unable to react. Regarding the Arthritis, you might look into Librela (betinvetmab), a monthly Sub-Q shot for Arthritis pain. I've tried it with 2 of my dogs; with one, we felt it possibly sped up the Dementia somewhat. The other dog received it to improve the quality of life she had remaining. Near the end for pain, it was worth every $$. For the Doggy Dementia, there's a tablet called Selegiline (Anipryl) that we purchased and administered a few times. Ultimately we chose it was her time and simply gave it back to the Vet, so someone else could use it, and I can't say whether it would have helped.

On a different topic: my Husky is 10, and he gets Adequan (somewhat like Librela) but closer to PPS (Pentosan Polysulfate Sodium) used for horses and humans (which I take). There's a chew for dogs called Ursolyx, meant to help maintain muscle mass. My Husky's Arthritis is pretty severe; the Adequan is doing well for him, and the Ursolyx has only been a couple months, so we'll see at the next Vet visit.

Wishing you the very best of luck.
I appreciate you getting back to me, and apologies for taking so long to respond! For her dry eyes—something that showed up when she was young and has only worsened over time—she uses an ointment that's prescribed. Librela was something we gave a try, though its effectiveness appeared to fade after roughly 12 months. The alternatives you brought up are new to me, but I'll look into them.
 
CNCCurrency said:

For my female dog, I administer epithalon along with thymulin.
Has anything improved or shifted that you've picked up on? There's epitalon sitting in my house, and I'm partway through a thymalin cycle personally.

nitetrak said:

Years back, I owned a Siberian Husky who had diabetes. It wasn't peps, but for the final 5 years of his life I administered insulin injections to him 2 times daily. We had seen that he was consuming large amounts of water and urinating everywhere. After bringing him to the vet, he received the diagnosis, and the vet instructed me on the insulin dosage; he appeared to feel a lot better.
Yeah, roughly a year back I had a hunch it might be diabetes — her water intake went through the roof right around when the incontinence took a turn for the worse — yet the bloodwork showed nothing. Only a few weeks ago she had bloodwork run once more, and diabetes is still ruled out.
 
When it comes to peptides for arthritis in pets, BPC appears to be the sole widely used option, assuming any peptide can be called widely used for animals. Compared with TB-500, its cancer/growth risk is regarded as lower. Peppy's provides the dosing information.
 
I'm fairly sure a CN supplier or GB had animal medications listed on a pricing sheet at some point, though I can't locate it anymore. If someone could point me toward it, I'd really appreciate it — I'm asking for a buddy who shells out $100/month on Prozinc (protamine zinc recombinant human insulin; please don't ask) for his diabetic dog.

He's likely capable of reconstituting, but mixing or any other peptide or fix-it approach is off the table. Also, this isn't type 2 diabetes, nor type 1. It's some canine-specific thing.
 
Sorry to hear about your older dog. I haven't given peptides to my senior dog — I'd like to, but I'm too scared to inject him. Since he hurt his hind leg, which is sprained and arthritic, I've been applying DMSO along with black seed oil once daily, and there's been significant improvement. I also came across information that eye drops containing 2% DMSO may support eyesight. There is a dedicated DMSO group on Fb, plus a useful DMSO book written by Amandha Vollmer. Book link:


https://a.co/d/04EgHEV1
 
For my senior dog, here is what I administer:

BPC-157

NAD+

A Cartalax cycle

Since I started cycling in peps in 2025, he appears more active and bouncy.

No adverse reactions at all (results may differ for you).

BPC-157 serves as the foundation, which I cycle off for a month after every 10 weeks.

With NAD+, I'll use up a whole 500mg vial at 3x a week, then take a break for a month or two; 25mg 3 x a week, and the dog's weight is 75lbs.

Cartalax gets run every 6 months.
 
A few weeks ago I came across something saying that giving male dogs testosterone can be beneficial, because they get neutered when they're young. If my hunting spaniel girls were still here, I'd have absolutely tried peptides on them. 😢
 
Back
Top