Seizures and GLP1 Use

fatty33

Explorer
Joined
Aug 25, 2025
Messages
38
Reaction score
0
Location
Michigan
Is there anyone in this group who has experienced a seizure while taking a GLP1? I have a classmate who has been using MJ for what I believe is around 2 years, and she is currently hospitalized after having a few seizures. The doctors are suggesting her GLP1 might be the cause. She mentioned too that her blood pressure was quite low, and she was still taking medication for blood pressure. It strikes me as strange that after losing over 200#, she would still need her BP meds. That said, I am not familiar with her full medical background.
 
fatty33 said:

Is there anyone in this group who has experienced a seizure while taking a GLP1? I have a classmate who has been using MJ for what I believe is around 2 years, and she is currently hospitalized after having a few seizures. The doctors are suggesting her GLP1 might be the cause. She mentioned too that her blood pressure was quite low, and she was still taking medication for blood pressure. It strikes me as strange that after losing over 200#, she would still need her BP meds. That said, I am not familiar with her full medical background.
That's awful, I'm really sorry. From my own experience, Tirz brought my BP down further than any blood pressure medication I've ever used. It's dropped enough that I'm hoping to stop taking my BP med if the trend continues.

This is the first I've come across a seizure tied to a GLP-1. Is your classmate being taken off it for that reason?
 
rkbleddyn said:

fatty33 said:

Is there anyone in this group who has experienced a seizure while taking a GLP1? I have a classmate who has been using MJ for what I believe is around 2 years, and she is currently hospitalized after having a few seizures. The doctors are suggesting her GLP1 might be the cause. She mentioned too that her blood pressure was quite low, and she was still taking medication for blood pressure. It strikes me as strange that after losing over 200#, she would still need her BP meds. That said, I am not familiar with her full medical background.
That's awful, I'm really sorry. From my own experience, Tirz brought my BP down further than any blood pressure medication I've ever used. It's dropped enough that I'm hoping to stop taking my BP med if the trend continues.

This is the first I've come across a seizure tied to a GLP-1. Is your classmate being taken off it for that reason?
Yep, since beginning tirz my BP has dropped to around 115 over 70...I assumed that was from working out more and dropping 20lbs....The tirz angle hadn't crossed my mind...
 
On their own, glp-1 medications don't seem to be a frequent cause of seizures. The authors of this study use a very large dataset to chart the benefits and risks of glp-1s, and in the abstract seizures are named specifically as having a lower risk while taking glp-1s.



ede2650840bf26d0a30cbb321893bac4875065071dbeb756f7c00140bf4ebde6.png




Mapping the effectiveness and risks of GLP-1 receptor agonists - Nature Medicine



An atlas of the associations between the use of GLP-1 receptor agonists (GLP-1RAs) and 175 health outcomes reports the effectiveness and risks of GLP-1RAs compared with other antihyperglycemic medications, such as sulfonylureas, DPP4 inhibitors and SGLT2 inhibitors.

a4f208e4f08396c003b764a087afb4011de329b67ff0fa5bb37ee068ab07778d.png



www.nature.com

Could it have been your classmate fainting rather than a seizure? Fainting is extremely common and can be mistaken for a seizure. Very low blood pressure can bring on a seizure, though I suspect fainting would be the more likely event.

Low blood sugar is also conceivable and could trigger a seizure, particularly if your classmate takes a sulfonylurea.

Wishing your friend a speedy recovery!
 
Flash-BCR said:

rkbleddyn said:

fatty33 said:

Is there anyone in this group who has experienced a seizure while taking a GLP1? I have a classmate who has been using MJ for what I believe is around 2 years, and she is currently hospitalized after having a few seizures. The doctors are suggesting her GLP1 might be the cause. She mentioned too that her blood pressure was quite low, and she was still taking medication for blood pressure. It strikes me as strange that after losing over 200#, she would still need her BP meds. That said, I am not familiar with her full medical background.
That's awful, I'm really sorry. From my own experience, Tirz brought my BP down further than any blood pressure medication I've ever used. It's dropped enough that I'm hoping to stop taking my BP med if the trend continues.

This is the first I've come across a seizure tied to a GLP-1. Is your classmate being taken off it for that reason?
Yep, since beginning tirz my BP has dropped to around 115 over 70...I assumed that was from working out more and dropping 20lbs....The tirz angle hadn't crossed my mind...

According to my doctor, the explanation lies in how Tirz favorably influences kidney function, specifically the manner in which sodium is processed by them.
 
My electrolytes may be affected by GLP. A few months back, when my GLP dose was raised to 9mg, my sodium fell to 125-126 mEq/L, close to the danger zone. No matter what I try, I can't get it to rise.

Seizures and even brain swelling can result from low sodium (hyponatremia), so monitoring it is really important.
 
fatty33 said:

Is there anyone in this group who has experienced a seizure while taking a GLP1? I have a classmate who has been using MJ for what I believe is around 2 years, and she is currently hospitalized after having a few seizures. The doctors are suggesting her GLP1 might be the cause. She mentioned too that her blood pressure was quite low, and she was still taking medication for blood pressure. It strikes me as strange that after losing over 200#, she would still need her BP meds. That said, I am not familiar with her full medical background.
I figured this would be about seizures at customs. Hmm? haven't really come across that with glp1's.
 
CNCCurrency said:

fatty33 said:

Is there anyone in this group who has experienced a seizure while taking a GLP1? I have a classmate who has been using MJ for what I believe is around 2 years, and she is currently hospitalized after having a few seizures. The doctors are suggesting her GLP1 might be the cause. She mentioned too that her blood pressure was quite low, and she was still taking medication for blood pressure. It strikes me as strange that after losing over 200#, she would still need her BP meds. That said, I am not familiar with her full medical background.
I figured this would be about seizures at customs. Hmm? haven't really come across that with glp1's.
That's exactly what drew me in as well—problems with seizures at the border. I find it hard to accept that doctors would pin this on GLP. Sure, super low blood sugar can bring on seizures, but GLP would only be a very minor piece of the puzzle in dropping that low. Still, there's truth to the idea that people taking GLP along with blood pressure meds need to keep a close eye, since I know plenty who had to stop or at least reduce their medication once they lost weight on GLP.
 
fatty33 said:

Is there anyone in this group who has experienced a seizure while taking a GLP1? I have a classmate who has been using MJ for what I believe is around 2 years, and she is currently hospitalized after having a few seizures. The doctors are suggesting her GLP1 might be the cause. She mentioned too that her blood pressure was quite low, and she was still taking medication for blood pressure. It strikes me as strange that after losing over 200#, she would still need her BP meds. That said, I am not familiar with her full medical background.
Mine can get pretty severe around the point when my medication gets switched. Since beginning medical marijuana roughly 12 months back, I haven't experienced any. GLP never intensified them beyond how they already were.
 
Gt3294a said:

CNCCurrency said:

fatty33 said:

Is there anyone in this group who has experienced a seizure while taking a GLP1? I have a classmate who has been using MJ for what I believe is around 2 years, and she is currently hospitalized after having a few seizures. The doctors are suggesting her GLP1 might be the cause. She mentioned too that her blood pressure was quite low, and she was still taking medication for blood pressure. It strikes me as strange that after losing over 200#, she would still need her BP meds. That said, I am not familiar with her full medical background.
I figured this would be about seizures at customs. Hmm? haven't really come across that with glp1's.
That's exactly what drew me in as well—problems with seizures at the border. I find it hard to accept that doctors would pin this on GLP. Sure, super low blood sugar can bring on seizures, but GLP would only be a very minor piece of the puzzle in dropping that low. Still, there's truth to the idea that people taking GLP along with blood pressure meds need to keep a close eye, since I know plenty who had to stop or at least reduce their medication once they lost weight on GLP.
They also pulled me off every blood pressure medication except 1. I had been taking 4.
 
fatty33 said:

Is there anyone in this group who has experienced a seizure while taking a GLP1? I have a classmate who has been using MJ for what I believe is around 2 years, and she is currently hospitalized after having a few seizures. The doctors are suggesting her GLP1 might be the cause. She mentioned too that her blood pressure was quite low, and she was still taking medication for blood pressure. It strikes me as strange that after losing over 200#, she would still need her BP meds. That said, I am not familiar with her full medical background.
That is something of a flaw in the GLP-1 telehealth model. These drugs touch overall health in profound ways, yet those outfits only care about shifting a weight loss script and turn a blind eye to the consequences. Needing to retune blood pressure medication while on a GLP-1 is routine, and it may not get done when the prescriber of the GLP-1 acts as though nothing outside the number on the scale deserves their attention.

The gray market crowd obviously runs into the same thing, though plenty of them take a far more hands-on approach to their own care instead of trusting that a doctor is on top of it, when in reality the doctor is not even watching.
 
SVT810E said:

fatty33 said:

Is there anyone in this group who has experienced a seizure while taking a GLP1? I have a classmate who has been using MJ for what I believe is around 2 years, and she is currently hospitalized after having a few seizures. The doctors are suggesting her GLP1 might be the cause. She mentioned too that her blood pressure was quite low, and she was still taking medication for blood pressure. It strikes me as strange that after losing over 200#, she would still need her BP meds. That said, I am not familiar with her full medical background.
That is something of a flaw in the GLP-1 telehealth model. These drugs touch overall health in profound ways, yet those outfits only care about shifting a weight loss script and turn a blind eye to the consequences. Needing to retune blood pressure medication while on a GLP-1 is routine, and it may not get done when the prescriber of the GLP-1 acts as though nothing outside the number on the scale deserves their attention.

The gray market crowd obviously runs into the same thing, though plenty of them take a far more hands-on approach to their own care instead of trusting that a doctor is on top of it, when in reality the doctor is not even watching.

usually, to get a refill you have to complete a questionnaire, and it asks directly about heart rate, blood pressure, other side effects, and so on. That was the case with the one I used, anyway.

Whether they truly check for anything out of the ordinary, or simply overlook it, I can't say.
 
rkbleddyn said:

fatty33 said:

Is there anyone in this group who has experienced a seizure while taking a GLP1? I have a classmate who has been using MJ for what I believe is around 2 years, and she is currently hospitalized after having a few seizures. The doctors are suggesting her GLP1 might be the cause. She mentioned too that her blood pressure was quite low, and she was still taking medication for blood pressure. It strikes me as strange that after losing over 200#, she would still need her BP meds. That said, I am not familiar with her full medical background.
That's awful, I'm really sorry. From my own experience, Tirz brought my BP down further than any blood pressure medication I've ever used. It's dropped enough that I'm hoping to stop taking my BP med if the trend continues.

This is the first I've come across a seizure tied to a GLP-1. Is your classmate being taken off it for that reason?
I don't have any answers. We aren't in touch, and the only details I have come from what she shared on her Facebook page. It struck me as odd that her BP wasn't being monitored, especially given how much weight she has dropped.
 
Grogu said:

On their own, glp-1 medications don't seem to be a frequent cause of seizures. The authors of this study use a very large dataset to chart the benefits and risks of glp-1s, and in the abstract seizures are named specifically as having a lower risk while taking glp-1s.



View attachment 11431



Mapping the effectiveness and risks of GLP-1 receptor agonists - Nature Medicine



An atlas of the associations between the use of GLP-1 receptor agonists (GLP-1RAs) and 175 health outcomes reports the effectiveness and risks of GLP-1RAs compared with other antihyperglycemic medications, such as sulfonylureas, DPP4 inhibitors and SGLT2 inhibitors.

View attachment 11432


www.nature.com

Could it have been your classmate fainting rather than a seizure? Fainting is extremely common and can be mistaken for a seizure. Very low blood pressure can bring on a seizure, though I suspect fainting would be the more likely event.

Low blood sugar is also conceivable and could trigger a seizure, particularly if your classmate takes a sulfonylurea.

Wishing your friend a speedy recovery!
Fainting could bring on a seizure — that angle hadn't crossed my mind.

aRareUnicorn said:

My electrolytes may be affected by GLP. A few months back, when my GLP dose was raised to 9mg, my sodium fell to 125-126 mEq/L, close to the danger zone. No matter what I try, I can't get it to rise.

Seizures and even brain swelling can result from low sodium (hyponatremia), so monitoring it is really important.
Could electrolytes be part of her routine? Honestly, I have no idea.

Then again, it's possible the doctors are in the dark too, and they simply ordered a bunch of tests to turn a profit.....
 

Attachments

  • ede2650840bf26d0a30cbb321893bac4875065071dbeb756f7c00140bf4ebde6.png
    ede2650840bf26d0a30cbb321893bac4875065071dbeb756f7c00140bf4ebde6.png
    83.6 KB · Views: 2
  • a4f208e4f08396c003b764a087afb4011de329b67ff0fa5bb37ee068ab07778d.png
    a4f208e4f08396c003b764a087afb4011de329b67ff0fa5bb37ee068ab07778d.png
    1.2 KB · Views: 2
aRareUnicorn said:

My electrolytes may be affected by GLP. A few months back, when my GLP dose was raised to 9mg, my sodium fell to 125-126 mEq/L, close to the danger zone. No matter what I try, I can't get it to rise.

Seizures and even brain swelling can result from low sodium (hyponatremia), so monitoring it is really important.
My last 2 BT came back on the low side, but not at a risky level. What fixed it was Liquid IV. I put half a packet into each of 2 Gatorade bottles, then have 1 bottle per day. Each Liquid IV has 500G sodium. When I used 2 every day, my BP went up too high. Now I'm down to 1 again. There's a BP test coming up this month, so I'll see what happens.
 
Grogu said:

On their own, glp-1 medications don't seem to be a frequent cause of seizures. The authors of this study use a very large dataset to chart the benefits and risks of glp-1s, and in the abstract seizures are named specifically as having a lower risk while taking glp-1s.



View attachment 11431



Mapping the effectiveness and risks of GLP-1 receptor agonists - Nature Medicine



An atlas of the associations between the use of GLP-1 receptor agonists (GLP-1RAs) and 175 health outcomes reports the effectiveness and risks of GLP-1RAs compared with other antihyperglycemic medications, such as sulfonylureas, DPP4 inhibitors and SGLT2 inhibitors.

View attachment 11432


www.nature.com

Could it have been your classmate fainting rather than a seizure? Fainting is extremely common and can be mistaken for a seizure. Very low blood pressure can bring on a seizure, though I suspect fainting would be the more likely event.

Low blood sugar is also conceivable and could trigger a seizure, particularly if your classmate takes a sulfonylurea.

Wishing your friend a speedy recovery!
That's the same thing I was wondering about. Once I'd been on Tirz for roughly 4 months and had dropped 40lbs, I developed pronounced Orthostatic Hypotension (a big BP drop when going from sitting to standing). It got to the point that I quit 1 of my BP meds completely and halved the other one.

When I finally saw my Cardiologist a few weeks afterward, he was on board with what I'd done.

The left reading is sitting, the right one is standing, taken only 1 minute after. (edit this is the right photo; the previous one was some Metoprolol and VIP experiments I'd been messing with).




61c8697caa21b2f343b379ad5a68b147fae1878d594de1d971d8ed30867a83ce.webp


If I lose another 10 lbs, I might drop the BP meds entirely. The way they make me feel is something I really dislike.
 
deluge said:


This is what I was thinking. I had significant Orthostatic Hypotension (large BP drop when standing up after sitting) after about 4 months on Tirz, and 40lbs lost. So much that I stopped 1 BP med entirely, and cut the other in half.

Weeks later, when I saw my Cardiologist, he agreed with my changes.

Left is sitting, right was standing, just 1 minute later. (edit this is the correct photo; last was some experiments with Metoprolol and VIP I was playing around with). View attachment 27295

Another 10 lbs and I may just stop taking the BP meds altogether. I really don't like how they make me feel.

Click to expand...

Wow, that pulse number as well! Going from sitting to standing, that's a big shift in blood pressure. I can see how a person could faint.

Great job on the weight loss! That's really impressive.
 
Grogu said:


Holy cow! Look at the pulse too! That’s quite a blood pressure change from the seated position. I could imagine someone passing out.

Congratulations on the weight loss! Awesome work.

Click to expand...
Before I switched medications, that occurred around 5 or 6 times. There were multiple instances where I came very close—if I hadn't instantly halted and bent over the car hood, the dining room table, or whatever was nearby, I believe I would have passed out.
 
deluge said:


That happened probably 5 or 6 times before I changed my meds. Had several very close calls, where I do think if I hadn't immediately stopped and leaned over the car hood, or dining room table, or whatever, I would have blacked out.

Click to expand...

That sounds frightening. Good thing you made changes to your medication. These drugs can alter our bodies so much that adjusting what we take becomes completely essential.
 
In theory, GLP1s have the potential to reduce blood sugar levels. When blood sugar falls far enough, a seizure may occur.

Still, it is uncommon for glucose to decrease to that extent — despite the fact that these drugs were originally created for diabetes treatment.
 
Back
Top