Seeking input on hormone panel results

happybunny63

Explorer
Joined
Apr 19, 2025
Messages
1
Reaction score
0
Location
US
I'm 62, female, and chronic fatigue, low energy, and low mood have been part of my life.

For years—since my 40s—my hormone levels had been at rock bottom, and I finally began hormone treatment.

In May I started Test E at 4.5mg/wk along with an Estrogen 25ug patch applied 2x/wk.

When August came, 3 months in: Total testosterone level (LC/MS) = 17.8 ng/dL; Free (direct) testosterone level = 0.5 ng/dL; Estradiol level (LC/MS) = 6.1; Total Estrogen = 409 *; Progesterone (LC/MS) = 0.1; SHBG = 98.7

I kept raising the Test E until it reached 15mg/wk, and I also began Progesterone 100mg daily.

December results: Total testosterone level (LC/MS) in Dec = 18.6 ng/dL; Free (direct) testosterone level = 1.7 ng/ Estradiol level (LC/MS) = 28; Total Estrogen = 422 *. My Progesterone (LC/MS) = 25

My Test E is now up to 21mg because acne, oily skin, and facial hair still haven't appeared as side effects.

What I want to ask:

(1) For my free direct testosterone level, what would be a good target to aim for?

More energy has made me feel better, but I want to add lean muscle mass (a Dexa scan put me slightly below average.)

(2) With Total Estrogen staying above 400, should I be concerned enough to begin Arimidex? Does Arimidex selectively lower Estradiol or does it lower Total Estrogen levels?

(3) Can I do anything to bring my SHBG level down?
 
happybunny63 said:

I'm 62, female, and chronic fatigue, low energy, and low mood have been part of my life.

For years—since my 40s—my hormone levels had been at rock bottom, and I finally began hormone treatment.

In May I started Test E at 4.5mg/wk along with an Estrogen 25ug patch applied 2x/wk.

When August came, 3 months in: Total testosterone level (LC/MS) = 17.8 ng/dL; Free (direct) testosterone level = 0.5 ng/dL; Estradiol level (LC/MS) = 6.1; Total Estrogen = 409 *; Progesterone (LC/MS) = 0.1; SHBG = 98.7

I kept raising the Test E until it reached 15mg/wk, and I also began Progesterone 100mg daily.

December results: Total testosterone level (LC/MS) in Dec = 18.6 ng/dL; Free (direct) testosterone level = 1.7 ng/ Estradiol level (LC/MS) = 28; Total Estrogen = 422 *. My Progesterone (LC/MS) = 25

My Test E is now up to 21mg because acne, oily skin, and facial hair still haven't appeared as side effects.

What I want to ask:

(1) For my free direct testosterone level, what would be a good target to aim for?

More energy has made me feel better, but I want to add lean muscle mass (a Dexa scan put me slightly below average.)

(2) With Total Estrogen staying above 400, should I be concerned enough to begin Arimidex? Does Arimidex selectively lower Estradiol or does it lower Total Estrogen levels?

(3) Can I do anything to bring my SHBG level down?
Since I'm male, I can't speak to the other markers, but...............

Still, look up Boron and SHBG online. It lowers SHBG quite a bit. Boron can be bought easily as a supplement.
 
happybunny63 said:

I'm 62, female, and chronic fatigue, low energy, and low mood have been part of my life.

For years—since my 40s—my hormone levels had been at rock bottom, and I finally began hormone treatment.

In May I started Test E at 4.5mg/wk along with an Estrogen 25ug patch applied 2x/wk.

When August came, 3 months in: Total testosterone level (LC/MS) = 17.8 ng/dL; Free (direct) testosterone level = 0.5 ng/dL; Estradiol level (LC/MS) = 6.1; Total Estrogen = 409 *; Progesterone (LC/MS) = 0.1; SHBG = 98.7

I kept raising the Test E until it reached 15mg/wk, and I also began Progesterone 100mg daily.

December results: Total testosterone level (LC/MS) in Dec = 18.6 ng/dL; Free (direct) testosterone level = 1.7 ng/ Estradiol level (LC/MS) = 28; Total Estrogen = 422 *. My Progesterone (LC/MS) = 25

My Test E is now up to 21mg because acne, oily skin, and facial hair still haven't appeared as side effects.

What I want to ask:

(1) For my free direct testosterone level, what would be a good target to aim for?

More energy has made me feel better, but I want to add lean muscle mass (a Dexa scan put me slightly below average.)

(2) With Total Estrogen staying above 400, should I be concerned enough to begin Arimidex? Does Arimidex selectively lower Estradiol or does it lower Total Estrogen levels?

(3) Can I do anything to bring my SHBG level down?
Your SHBG appears to be quite elevated. The amount of testosterone you're using seems high for achieving only a low-normal free testosterone reading. My suspicion is that estrogen intake is too high, which would drive SHBG upward. It's possible that lowering both your T and E doses would actually leave you with a greater free testosterone level. Your mileage may vary, but this seems like a reasonable thing to bring up with your physician.

Arimidex tends to be unpredictable, so I wouldn't take it without consistent lab monitoring and a doctor's oversight. Still, I believe you'd do better by simply adjusting your levels using as few medications as possible.
 
Back
Top