Saline with bacteriostatic properties?

PeptideConsumer

Explorer
Joined
Apr 4, 2024
Messages
27
Reaction score
0
Location
UK
Curious—is anyone here using saline in place of water?

In the past, I'd mix a small amount of benzyl alcohol into saline so it would be bacteriostatic, but filtering and measuring everything was a hassle.

My primary use case is nasal sprays; the body tolerates saline far better than purified water.
 
In recent years, BAC water has grown in popularity. Saline solution, on the other hand, was in use right from the start. Still, when it comes to stopping bacterial growth, BAC water is clearly much better than saline; so the longer you plan to keep a peptide after you reconstitute it, the stronger the case for BAC water.

Sadly, the only product with proven quality is Hospira, which is why using that one is always the best route. That said, plenty of regions have no Hospira available, or it is hard to obtain, and in those situations the decision becomes far less clear-cut; testing by Yanoshika has demonstrated that water sold on Amazon or eBay fails to meet the necessary parameters, while water from Chinese suppliers comes with pH problems and causes some peptides to gel.

So my view is this: when genuine Hospira cannot be obtained, pharmacy-grade saline solution is a reasonable alternative, as long as you make sure not to keep using the peptide beyond 20–30 days.
 
PeptideConsumer said:

Curious—is anyone here using saline in place of water?

In the past, I'd mix a small amount of benzyl alcohol into saline so it would be bacteriostatic, but filtering and measuring everything was a hassle.

My primary use case is nasal sprays; the body tolerates saline far better than purified water.
When I make up nasal sprays, I combine 1ml of BAC with 4ml of saline. Plain saline on its own would likely work fine, but knowing a small amount of bac is present makes me feel more at ease.
 
Worth remembering that some peptides (Reta being the obvious one) should not go into saline. There are others as far as I know, but I have never worked with them closely enough to say.
 
deluge said:

Worth remembering that some peptides (Reta being the obvious one) should not go into saline. There are others as far as I know, but I have never worked with them closely enough to say.
Yeah, I came across a mention of that too — something about sodium interacting with part of a peptide.

From what I remember, a white leftover can show up inside the vial.

Pretty sure it was either PT-141 or melanotan.

Fair enough, though for a nasal spray saline is way gentler, haha.

When doctors give botox they stick to saline only, since purified water stings badly and causes a rough reaction when injected.
 
Back
Top