Retatrutide plateau: 7 weeks in, 21 lbs down, now stuck

Pokemon999

Explorer
Joined
Mar 9, 2026
Messages
14
Reaction score
0
Location
Sussex
Hey everyone,

I've run into a plateau with retatrutide. About 7 weeks on it so far, and I'm down 21 lbs. I'm keeping a calorie deficit and getting plenty of protein. I realize that's a solid drop for such a short stretch, but these past 2 weeks the scale hasn't budged — I even put on a couple of pounds. It's throwing me off because I'm eating the same way I was when I dropped the 21 lbs in the first place. I'm not going to raise my dose, since it's already fairly high for how early I am in this process. Any ideas why I've stalled, and what else could help me keep losing? (I've still got a LOT to lose.)

Thanks
 
Get stricter about logging and weighing what you eat, and add more activity. It can begin with restless habits such as leg bouncing and arm raises. If you can, get more walking in. The medication helps a lot, but while it makes dropping weight very achievable, the weight loss itself isn’t caused by it.
 
450>210 here.

Keep it simple. Use the appetite suppression that's working for you at this moment and let the medication carry most of the load.

If you've got a large amount to lose, the way I did, then here's what I'd suggest: pick a hard calorie deficit target plus a minimum protein goal for each day, so you're never guessing whether you're actually in a deficit, meet that target on most days, step on the scale less often so it doesn't cause unnecessary worry, and add more movement. Nothing extreme is required - simply be more physically active than before - tidying up, walking, yoga, lifting weights, whatever, it doesn't matter at this stage - just choose something. For me, doing anything at all was progress.
 
At the 7-week mark you're still dropping about -3lb weekly once you account for a 2-week flat stretch… which works out to a 4lb/week average across the first 5 weeks.

Nothing in your post covers stats, dosing, sides, goals, intake or exercise.

My take: your expectations need a reality check. Education is one way to get there. And if you're after tailored guidance, you'll need to share tailored details.
 
With 7 weeks elapsed and calorie intake unchanged, the scale is simply misleading you — or more plausibly, shifts in body fluid balance are creating the impression that fat loss has stopped. A drop in calories makes the body burn through a large store of liver glycogen, and since glycogen carries a lot of water with it, as much as 5 kilos of fluid can come off across the first week or 2. Balance gets readjusted again somewhere after that, which is most likely the phase you're in now. On GLP's, real plateaus rarely arrive before roughly a year of treatment.

Considering the 21 pounds gone in 7 weeks, the drug is clearly doing its job — though a week or 2 may pass before the scale reflects it. It also means part of those 21 lbs was fluid rather than fat, which is true of any weight loss: the underlying rate is probably below 3lbs weekly. If the numbers aren't giving you the feedback you want, try watching waist circumference instead. Otherwise, trust the process — eat below your needs and weight comes off. Meaningful drops in metabolic rate from weight loss are far too early to appear at this stage.
 
Back
Top