Retatrutide, nutrition, and keeping muscle while cutting

CuriousInquiry

Explorer
Joined
May 24, 2026
Messages
6
Reaction score
0
Location
Nashville
I'm strongly considering retatrutide for body recomposition, based on the trial data and the many success stories I've come across. That said, muscle loss is still on my mind. I've put in a lot of hours reading up on how reta works (I've got a handle on the 3 mechanisms at least), and it looks like it beats other GLPs when it comes to holding onto muscle mass, but sorting the loud anecdotal claims from the actual science has been tough.

A couple of claims keep coming up. One is that reta and very low carb eating don't mix, to the point where it could even be risky (though I've yet to see anything supporting that beyond bro science). The other is that unless you stack some peptide X or Y with it, you'll drop a lot of muscle even if your protein and training are on point. That's not a game I want to play.

So does anyone have solid, reta-specific, science based info on diet macros and best practices for preserving muscle mass while shedding fat on this drug? If not that, then at least some reliable anecdotal reports (long term, consistent, accurate measurements, etc) about what's actually worked for you?
 
CuriousInquiry said:

I'm strongly considering retatrutide for body recomposition, based on the trial data and the many success stories I've come across. That said, muscle loss is still on my mind. I've put in a lot of hours reading up on how reta works (I've got a handle on the 3 mechanisms at least), and it looks like it beats other GLPs when it comes to holding onto muscle mass, but sorting the loud anecdotal claims from the actual science has been tough.

A couple of claims keep coming up. One is that reta and very low carb eating don't mix, to the point where it could even be risky (though I've yet to see anything supporting that beyond bro science). The other is that unless you stack some peptide X or Y with it, you'll drop a lot of muscle even if your protein and training are on point. That's not a game I want to play.

So does anyone have solid, reta-specific, science based info on diet macros and best practices for preserving muscle mass while shedding fat on this drug? If not that, then at least some reliable anecdotal reports (long term, consistent, accurate measurements, etc) about what's actually worked for you?

A nearly identical discussion appeared just 1 day ago.





4ac98be9d3de24c277a13bb93eb2222401048ddd3de6cf3389c1e35c46eef600.webp
 
LOL, that's a fair thing to wonder about, but the way you're framing it doesn't really work. There isn't even a phase 3 paper out on reta at this point. So how could anyone possibly have higher-tier studies looking at muscle impact? And even if something like that existed, it would come from the drugmaker, meaning it'd be built to produce the best-looking outcome they could get. 🤣

In my view, you'd get further by digging into research on GLPs that have already been sold for years, then working out whether those findings would plausibly carry over to reta.
 
woundcarping said:

CuriousInquiry said:

I'm strongly considering retatrutide for body recomposition, based on the trial data and the many success stories I've come across. That said, muscle loss is still on my mind. I've put in a lot of hours reading up on how reta works (I've got a handle on the 3 mechanisms at least), and it looks like it beats other GLPs when it comes to holding onto muscle mass, but sorting the loud anecdotal claims from the actual science has been tough.

A couple of claims keep coming up. One is that reta and very low carb eating don't mix, to the point where it could even be risky (though I've yet to see anything supporting that beyond bro science). The other is that unless you stack some peptide X or Y with it, you'll drop a lot of muscle even if your protein and training are on point. That's not a game I want to play.

So does anyone have solid, reta-specific, science based info on diet macros and best practices for preserving muscle mass while shedding fat on this drug? If not that, then at least some reliable anecdotal reports (long term, consistent, accurate measurements, etc) about what's actually worked for you?

A nearly identical discussion appeared just 1 day ago.





View attachment 11323
Appreciate the warning. I had the impression I'd already answered something along these lines not long ago.
 
Here’s my situation, in case it helps you make up your mind.

Before this, I ran an anabolic cycle that wrapped up close to 3 months back. Losing muscle was obviously on my mind.

I began Reta in April at 2mg per week, split into 1mg doses twice weekly. My weight has dropped from 97kg down to 91kg.

My nutrition is locked in like this:

Calories: 1800

Carbs: 160

Protein: 175 (often much more)

Fats: 55

Muscle preservation was a concern for me as well, but I lift weights 5 days per week. A bit of mass has gone, though it was mostly water. I’m glad to report my strength is unchanged.

Creatine can make your muscles appear fuller, or you could simply use a refeed day to top up glycogen.

Bottom line: with some resistance training plus a high protein intake, you’ll be okay.
 
CuriousInquiry said:

I'm strongly considering retatrutide for body recomposition, based on the trial data and the many success stories I've come across. That said, muscle loss is still on my mind. I've put in a lot of hours reading up on how reta works (I've got a handle on the 3 mechanisms at least), and it looks like it beats other GLPs when it comes to holding onto muscle mass, but sorting the loud anecdotal claims from the actual science has been tough.

A couple of claims keep coming up. One is that reta and very low carb eating don't mix, to the point where it could even be risky (though I've yet to see anything supporting that beyond bro science). The other is that unless you stack some peptide X or Y with it, you'll drop a lot of muscle even if your protein and training are on point. That's not a game I want to play.

So does anyone have solid, reta-specific, science based info on diet macros and best practices for preserving muscle mass while shedding fat on this drug? If not that, then at least some reliable anecdotal reports (long term, consistent, accurate measurements, etc) about what's actually worked for you?
Look up Josh Holyfield over on YouTube — he covers exactly this topic in depth.

Make sure your protein intake stays HIGH, and naturally you should either continue or begin resistance/weight training.

I’m 59; starting weight was 180 at 18% body fat, and I’m now 160 at 12% body fat with zero muscle lost. The key is that you MUST take in at least 1 gram of protein per pound of lean target weight, and you MUST train the muscle you already have.

Additional research avenues can support this objective, but it’s on you to investigate what fits your own circumstances and health status. As a point of reference, 5 years back I was 250# at 36% body fat, dropped a great deal of weight via carnivore and kept it off without much effort, though peptides and expanded knowledge have “upped my game”.

Best of luck with your efforts 🙏
 
LabRatts said:

CuriousInquiry said:

I'm strongly considering retatrutide for body recomposition, based on the trial data and the many success stories I've come across. That said, muscle loss is still on my mind. I've put in a lot of hours reading up on how reta works (I've got a handle on the 3 mechanisms at least), and it looks like it beats other GLPs when it comes to holding onto muscle mass, but sorting the loud anecdotal claims from the actual science has been tough.

A couple of claims keep coming up. One is that reta and very low carb eating don't mix, to the point where it could even be risky (though I've yet to see anything supporting that beyond bro science). The other is that unless you stack some peptide X or Y with it, you'll drop a lot of muscle even if your protein and training are on point. That's not a game I want to play.

So does anyone have solid, reta-specific, science based info on diet macros and best practices for preserving muscle mass while shedding fat on this drug? If not that, then at least some reliable anecdotal reports (long term, consistent, accurate measurements, etc) about what's actually worked for you?
Look up Josh Holyfield over on YouTube — he covers exactly this topic in depth.

Make sure your protein intake stays HIGH, and naturally you should either continue or begin resistance/weight training.

I’m 59; starting weight was 180 at 18% body fat, and I’m now 160 at 12% body fat with zero muscle lost. The key is that you MUST take in at least 1 gram of protein per pound of lean target weight, and you MUST train the muscle you already have.

Additional research avenues can support this objective, but it’s on you to investigate what fits your own circumstances and health status. As a point of reference, 5 years back I was 250# at 36% body fat, dropped a great deal of weight via carnivore and kept it off without much effort, though peptides and expanded knowledge have “upped my game”.

Best of luck with your efforts 🙏
Starting at 180 with 18% body fat and ending at 160 with 12% means 10lbs of fat were shed. What do you think accounts for the other 10lbs of weight lost?
 
Back
Top