Retatrutide and low blood pressure

vale113

Explorer
Joined
Apr 12, 2026
Messages
154
Reaction score
0
Location
Italia
I've had low blood pressure my whole life. Is there a chance retatrutide could bring it down even more?
 
woundcarping said:

Yep.
Thanks, that's what I figured. Things have gotten worse as the temperatures have gone up. I'm nearly at my goal weight and stopping isn't something I want. What options do I have?
 
Boosting plasma volume may be possible through sodium intake and staying hydrated.

Rising to your feet more gradually might lessen that dizzy feeling when you stand. 😂

What were your starting numbers, and where do they sit at the moment?
 
What does "low blood pressure" look like in your case? After you stand up, do you feel dizzy or notice your vision fading (postural hypotension), or is it something different?

Has a significant amount of weight come off? Or did this begin only once you started reta? Are you taking any other medications that could bring blood pressure down? Since starting reta, have you been drinking less fluid? That last one happens very often.

Do you own a blood pressure monitor? If you don't, buy one — they don't cost much. Take readings while sitting and while standing, several times, and record the numbers.

My suggestion would be to get a medical opinion and have bloods checked before you try anything. Having several blood pressure readings from home will make that process much faster and easier.

Without knowing exactly what the problem is, I can't say what should be done about it, and even for something as simple as salt tablets, I would rather see basic blood electrolytes first.
 
My readings used to sit at 110/70 consistently, but these days they're 87/65. I've also found that standing up suddenly doesn't feel great.
 
vale113 said:

My readings used to sit at 110/70 consistently, but these days they're 87/65. I've also found that standing up suddenly doesn't feel great.
@lessthanhalf posed some very good questions for figuring this out—the more of them you address, the nearer you'll get to the answer you're after.
 
For someone dealing with obesity, that bp reading seems quite low. What's your current weight?

Your bp is on the low side and you're experiencing symptomatic postural hypotension. Since several of my questions went unanswered, I still can't pin down the cause. What about your age? Any cardiac issues?

Retatrutide itself reduces blood pressure, and when you add substantial weight loss on top of that, the drop becomes even greater. Following major weight reduction from bariatric surgery, at least 50% of patients develop this, so it stands to reason the same would be common after weight loss on reta.

Nearly 4 years ago I began having my vision grey out when standing, and I still get it today — though I did lose 80 kilos. If massive weight loss is the culprit, this could persist long term.

I'd still recommend getting a doctor's assessment and guidance. Options exist that can help, such as blood pressure raising medication when needed, though a cardiologist typically handles prescribing that. Your situation doesn't sound severe enough to warrant it. I won't suggest trying salt tablets unless you've had your electrolyte levels checked beforehand. If reta has you drinking less, increase your fluid intake. Compression stockings may also help.

The most dangerous problem by far is fainting and then injuring yourself when you hit the ground. Usually you get some warning through dizziness or vision changes, so if that's happening, be careful and try to get your head down — for me, simply bending over a bit does the trick. If you remain upright and blood pressure drops low enough for your brain, a reflex kicks in — vasovagal syncope — where your body plunges blood pressure further, making you faint and fall as a means of restoring blood flow to the brain.
 
I don't have obesity. My goal was to shed close to 20kg, and binge eating was an issue for me — reta made a big difference with that. I'm nearly at my target, but if things keep going this way, I figure I should quit and check whether it gets better. Would Cagri or eloralintide make any difference?
 
My guess is that the main driver behind the blood pressure drop is the weight loss, though reta itself probably plays a part too. From what I understand, cagri and elora both lower bp as well. If you quit reta just to correct it, there's a solid chance the weight comes back.

I figure dealing with mild postural hypotension is a better trade for overall health than regaining 20 kg.
 
My blood pressure is extremely low too — so low that on 2 occasions they turned me away from giving blood.

This is something I’d like to know more about as well.
 
I'd really like to find out how to bring high blood pressure down. Shedding weight is making a difference: it went from 150/90 to around 140/87. My weight fell from 98kg to 84kg. Before statins end up being the only route left, I'm eager to learn whether anything else could assist. Right now I take aged garlic extract, celery seed extract, coq10, pqq, olive leaf extract, vitamin d3 and mk7. Plus 4000mg of pure epa fish oil, berberine, alkermansia, oea. With all of that, maybe once the next blood test comes back I'll have to look at statins as an option, since statins are probably gentler on the liver and kidneys than that mix.
 
Back
Top