Reta's impact on metabolism

jusmypullup

Explorer
Joined
Jun 12, 2026
Messages
6
Reaction score
0
Location
Illinois
I've now been taking reta for roughly 2 weeks (3mg each week), and I'm wondering when during the side effect timeline the boost to BMR tends to be strongest. I do feel some appetite suppression, yet I'm still hungry most of the time, so I'm considering titrating up but haven't decided. Food noise doesn't bother me as long as I'm getting close to the maximum metabolic effect from the reta.
 
I looked into this just now, and it turns out nobody has ever directly quantified human energy expenditure while on reta. That means virtually every claim on the topic amounts to speculation, or at best extrapolation from animal data. (and mice and rats handle thermoregulation in a way that differs greatly from humans)

Figures commonly cited sit at 100-200 kcal/day at 12mg, and it probably scales with dose, yet since those figures don't come from human measurements they aren't exactly dependable.

So the biggest metabolic bump would come from the biggest dose, but it's all speculation really.

Should reta add 100 kcal/day of extra EE, that would translate to roughly 5% or 5kg of additional weight loss across a year, which is near the extra weight loss it produces relative to tirz, assuming equal reductions in food intake and both at their max doses.
 
lessthanhalf said:

I looked into this just now, and it turns out nobody has ever directly quantified human energy expenditure while on reta. That means virtually every claim on the topic amounts to speculation, or at best extrapolation from animal data. (and mice and rats handle thermoregulation in a way that differs greatly from humans)

Figures commonly cited sit at 100-200 kcal/day at 12mg, and it probably scales with dose, yet since those figures don't come from human measurements they aren't exactly dependable.

So the biggest metabolic bump would come from the biggest dose, but it's all speculation really.

Should reta add 100 kcal/day of extra EE, that would translate to roughly 5% or 5kg of additional weight loss across a year, which is near the extra weight loss it produces relative to tirz, assuming equal reductions in food intake and both at their max doses.
Yeah, curiosity got the better of me so I went through the studies, ran some numbers, and landed on the same answer: 100-200/day, varying with dose and body size. I've also come across this calculation in other places and it holds up. From personal observation, at roughly 9 weeks my lab rat's calories in/calories out tally is also pointing to a similar ballpark of unexplained missing calories.

Following the same old-school approach that used to yield 1.5 lbs/week loss, I'm now dropping 1.8 lbs/week. 0.3 lbs x 3500 calories = 1050 calories/7 days = 150 cal/day. My workout routine hasn't been altered at all.

Sure, 9 weeks with 1 person isn't a solid sample size, but it does match up.
 
lessthanhalf said:

I looked into this just now, and it turns out nobody has ever directly quantified human energy expenditure while on reta. That means virtually every claim on the topic amounts to speculation, or at best extrapolation from animal data. (and mice and rats handle thermoregulation in a way that differs greatly from humans)

Figures commonly cited sit at 100-200 kcal/day at 12mg, and it probably scales with dose, yet since those figures don't come from human measurements they aren't exactly dependable.

So the biggest metabolic bump would come from the biggest dose, but it's all speculation really.

Should reta add 100 kcal/day of extra EE, that would translate to roughly 5% or 5kg of additional weight loss across a year, which is near the extra weight loss it produces relative to tirz, assuming equal reductions in food intake and both at their max doses.

That has in fact happened, though the findings haven't come out yet.




ClinicalTrials.gov





Image unavailable


clinicaltrials.gov
 
Back
Top