bluetap said:
Given how little you told us (she's female, she's Asian, lol), here's what I can offer from my own experience:
I'm not Asian, and I chose to begin at a low amount and move up gradually so I could watch how my system responded. For people generally, Reta's starting dose is 2mg for 4 weeks, then an increase of 2mg every 4 weeks from there, continuing until you reach a set level — I don't recall the exact figure anymore, but I believe it was around 10mg or 12mg. Personally I think that's a LOT, though maybe not to some others, and it is the way the clinical trials have handled it.
My own beginning was .5mg. No issues! The following week I moved to 1mg. Still fine, no problems and no negative side effects. A week after that I took 2mg, which also went well. In the end I never went above 2mg, since I reached my target goal fairly fast. If the weight starts coming back I might return to .5mg and stay there, though I'm also more physically active these days, so hopefully it stays off. So if you (or she) feel uneasy, starting slow is a sensible approach. There's no need to hurry, right? She'll get there.
On the subject of losing joy: my man had that exact worry too (we began together). After reading things online, he was afraid I might stop liking him lol
No loss of joy has happened to me, nothing I could even liken to that. My personality is unchanged (if anything my mood has gotten a bit better overall, thanks to the results I was seeing). Plus I stopped shedding a ton of hair with every shower — a nice surprise of a side effect!
From others I hear that certain very specific habits have shifted, and I think it relates to activities that hand out "cheap" dopamine hits.
A coworker of mine said she no longer cared about chatting with strangers on dating apps for the attention (she never planned to meet any of them irl.)
I've read about people losing their addiction to social media apps, and even cutting way back on drinking, simply because it stopped having the same effect for them.
If you (or your wife) have anything more specific to ask, go ahead!