Reta started at the wrong dose — need advice

jperiod

Explorer
Joined
Mar 30, 2026
Messages
36
Reaction score
0
Location
southwest
So today was day 1 of reta for us, and my husband ended up as the test subject. Instead of 0.25 mg, I mistakenly injected him with 2.5 mg for his first dose! 😱 Is there anything we can or should do to counteract the effects? Originally I'd planned 0.25 twice a week, so what should his next dose be? Given the half life, should I hold off 3 weeks before giving another 0.25 so he's back to the intended dose? We were going to bump up every 4 weeks if needed, preferring slow and steady loss with fewer side effects.
 
jperiod said:

So today was day 1 of reta for us, and my husband ended up as the test subject. Instead of 0.25 mg, I mistakenly injected him with 2.5 mg for his first dose! 😱 Is there anything we can or should do to counteract the effects? Originally I'd planned 0.25 twice a week, so what should his next dose be? Given the half life, should I hold off 3 weeks before giving another 0.25 so he's back to the intended dose? We were going to bump up every 4 weeks if needed, preferring slow and steady loss with fewer side effects.
He will definitely notice it. There's a good chance he won't have any appetite for 7 days. My suggestion would be to hold off on the following injection for about 7 days. Let us know how bad the side effects hit him. Curious people are waiting to hear.
 
jperiod said:

So today was day 1 of reta for us, and my husband ended up as the test subject. Instead of 0.25 mg, I mistakenly injected him with 2.5 mg for his first dose! 😱 Is there anything we can or should do to counteract the effects? Originally I'd planned 0.25 twice a week, so what should his next dose be? Given the half life, should I hold off 3 weeks before giving another 0.25 so he's back to the intended dose? We were going to bump up every 4 weeks if needed, preferring slow and steady loss with fewer side effects.
yeah, he's going to be okay. I do think 2mg or higher is too strong for someone's first Reta dose.. but it won't cause any real harm. At most, I'd expect some mild stomach discomfort while his system gets used to it.

Wait 7 days, then lower the dose again... maybe to 1mg or less. When I began RT10, I was at 600mcg, then 800mcg, then moved to 1mg every 5 days. These days I've landed on 1.2 (12 units) every 5 days, and that's where it feels just right. I might increase it later if random food cravings come back. The way it works has been incredible... the food noise is gone, and I no longer crave alcohol, weed, cookies, chips, etc. Hell, last night I had an In N Out cheeseburger and couldn't even finish the fries (not the fries' fault) lol
 
What you should do next really depends on why you're taking Reta in the first place. If the main objective is dropping a lot of weight, staying at that dose is probably okay. But if you're using it for maintenance, then you'll need to ride it out and stick with the smallest dose that works, so your long-term dosing stays sensible.
 
jperiod said:

So today was day 1 of reta for us, and my husband ended up as the test subject. Instead of 0.25 mg, I mistakenly injected him with 2.5 mg for his first dose! 😱 Is there anything we can or should do to counteract the effects? Originally I'd planned 0.25 twice a week, so what should his next dose be? Given the half life, should I hold off 3 weeks before giving another 0.25 so he's back to the intended dose? We were going to bump up every 4 weeks if needed, preferring slow and steady loss with fewer side effects.

My own beginning dose was 2mg. Odds are he will come through it without problems.
 
I also began at 2mg. In Lilly's trials, that is the starting dose. Right now I'm taking 8mg.
 
That kind of slip-up happens often, and because clinical trials use it as a normal beginning dose, he will probably be okay. For the next few days, simply watch him closely, and after he levels out, move ahead gradually.
 
You can check glp1plotter.com to figure out the right time to start injections again. Around 18 May, serum levels look like they'll fall to about 1mg - I'm not sure why microdosing is being considered, but my choice would be to pin 1mg on 18 May. Alternatively, you could hold off until 30 May, when serum levels are near 0.25mg. Personally, I began at 1mg and now I'm at 5mg.
 
Should the amount prove excessive for him, side effects like loose stools, vomiting, or difficulty going to the bathroom could show up, though they clear up within about 2 days. The real hurdle is that these short-lived issues might make him unwilling to keep going. Take it easy and avoid any symptoms.
 
jperiod said:

So today was day 1 of reta for us, and my husband ended up as the test subject. Instead of 0.25 mg, I mistakenly injected him with 2.5 mg for his first dose! 😱 Is there anything we can or should do to counteract the effects? Originally I'd planned 0.25 twice a week, so what should his next dose be? Given the half life, should I hold off 3 weeks before giving another 0.25 so he's back to the intended dose? We were going to bump up every 4 weeks if needed, preferring slow and steady loss with fewer side effects.

Retatrutide isn't semaglutide, and semaglutide's starting point is 0.25mg. For retatrutide, the starting dose is 2mg.
 
sheilarae74 said:

I'm wondering what kind of impact it ultimately had on him. I hope the original poster returns to fill us in.

Same here — I sympathize with him, and I'm hoping she checks back in.
 
sheilarae74 said:

I'm wondering what kind of impact it ultimately had on him. I hope the original poster returns to fill us in.

anhydrous said:

sheilarae74 said:

I'm wondering what kind of impact it ultimately had on him. I hope the original poster returns to fill us in.

Same here — I sympathize with him, and I'm hoping she checks back in.

Honestly, this is barely a problem at all… what he got was 2.5mg rather than the usual 2mg starting amount of Reta. Responses vary from person to person, but the odds that he happens to be such a strong responder that an extra 25% on top of the standard 2mg dose produces a noticeable shift in symptoms look quite slim.

Sure, all of it is far above beginning at .5mg/week, though that's a separate matter.

It's nothing like the poor woman that took 7.5mg of Cagri for her starting dose. She's in for a ride.
 
The 2.5mg you administered isn't the incorrect amount — it's the 0.25mg you intended that would have been off. 2.5mg is quite near the 2mg starting point that drug companies typically use. Side effects are possible, sure, but beginning at 0.25mg doesn't remove that risk; it only postpones it, perhaps softening the impact or making it arrive more gradually. Doses that are 1/8th of the standard really tend to be a time and effort sink. If you're after a very cautious start, 1mg could be reasonable, but 0.25mg isn't.

That said, a 10-fold dosing error is something that happens frequently, and avoiding it matters. Had you given 20mg rather than 2 as a first dose, the side effects might be extremely serious, so always verify your dose math at least twice, then run the numbers through an online peptide calculator to confirm both the dilution and the dose.
 
woundcarping said:


It’s practically a nothing burger of an issue… he took 2.5mg instead of the typical 2mg of Reta. People react differently, but the likelihood he's some super responder where a 25% extra dose will make a meaningful difference to the symptoms of the typical 2mg dose seems pretty low.

It's all wildly more than starting at .5mg/week, but that's another issue.

It's nothing like the poor woman that took 7.5mg of Cagri for her starting dose. She's in for a ride.

Click to expand...

So here's the situation: my husband volunteered to be the first one to try reta, and we kicked things off today. The plan was a 0.25 mg starting dose, but I messed up and injected 2.5 mg instead — that's 10 times what I meant to give. 😱

Is there anything we can do, or should do, to counteract this?
 
anhydrous said:


Alright bend over and let me stick you with 10x the dose you thought you were getting.

Click to expand...

Taking 1/8 of the usual starting dose on purpose? Not something I’d do.
 
woundcarping said:

sheilarae74 said:

I'm wondering what kind of impact it ultimately had on him. I hope the original poster returns to fill us in.

anhydrous said:

sheilarae74 said:

I'm wondering what kind of impact it ultimately had on him. I hope the original poster returns to fill us in.

Same here — I sympathize with him, and I'm hoping she checks back in.

Honestly, this is barely a problem at all… what he got was 2.5mg rather than the usual 2mg starting amount of Reta. Responses vary from person to person, but the odds that he happens to be such a strong responder that an extra 25% on top of the standard 2mg dose produces a noticeable shift in symptoms look quite slim.

Sure, all of it is far above beginning at .5mg/week, though that's a separate matter.

It's nothing like the poor woman that took 7.5mg of Cagri for her starting dose. She's in for a ride.
I'm not sure...2mg gave me problems. If my starting dose had been 2.5mg rather than 0.5, there's no telling what condition I'd have ended up in. I still want to find out what happened, simply because I just GOTTA know. 😁





2f69d987997f5b4337455f9a86eacdd5921d83e50058121eb078e2ad1aad54db.gif
 
Why is this being treated like such a huge issue? The amount he received was just .5mg above what the suggested initial dose is. I'm curious where people are finding these .25 and .5mg starting amounts. During the months I spent looking into Reta before I finally began, those numbers never came up. Everywhere I looked, it was 2mg. I went through a ton of material prior to starting, though none of it was on Reddit.
 
Update! Saturday he was mostly okay, but Sunday morning his acid reflux flared up badly. Throughout the day he felt extremely full and bloated, and eating much was difficult. Today he's queasy, and during the night it seemed like his body was in a panic attack (possibly a higher heart rate?). He's also alternating between feeling hot and cold. So the side effects aren't terrible, but he's not happy. 😆

In the meantime, my son and I took 0.25 mg (well, likely .3 since that's simpler to measure), and both of us just get full a lot sooner, but nothing beyond that really.

Before starting, I spent about 2-3 months reading up, reddit included, and it looked like beginning with a very tiny amount and dividing doses into twice a week might reduce side effects. We aren't aiming to lose quickly, no more than 2 lbs a week.
 
Back
Top