Reta making me extremely hungry

FlowerFairy said:

guster said:

FlowerFairy said:

guster said:

Sid the SeaGull said:

guster said:

Graymaxxem said:

From what I’ve come across, reta’s appetite-suppressing effect only shows up near 8 mg. I gave it a few months myself, then went back to T. R was fine by me, yet the scale wouldn’t budge — and honestly that suited me, since my goal was to halt the weight loss. (Typing that feels insane! I was aiming to stop losing! WTaF!) The thing is, R lacks the inflammation control that T provides, and that’s something I can’t do without.
Hmm, I had high hopes that retatrutide's third fat-burning pathway would really change things. I'll give it some time and observe the results. I can't help but question if the product I have is fake, since Mounjaro gave me some effect even at 1 mg.
Based on what I've come across, that third receptor doesn't really start working properly until you're past 6mg, though some people say it takes less. Right now I'm just on 3 this month, and I plan to go up to 4 next month, that's what I'm expecting
Going the standard way would take ages, huh. My plan is to bump to 4 mg by week 3. Maybe my earlier tirzepatide use built up some tolerance—guess I'll see.
Full potency takes about 1 month to build up in your system. When you bump the dose every 3 weeks, there’s no chance for that full potency to be reached. Relying on how it “feels” is an easy path to problems. Let it have the time it needs to do its job.
Do you not believe that Mounjaro has made my body accustomed to GLP?
That isn't how these medications operate, and it isn't about your system becoming “accustomed” to GLP drugs. This is simply how they function for everybody. 🙄

Ramping your concentration up faster than staying at one dose for 4-5 weeks is completely doable.

In just 18 days I went from zero Reta exposure to an accumulated peak above 9mg, all while tapering off a 5.6mg Tirz peak concentration. At this point I've been on Reta for 7 weeks, dosing 4mg 2x weekly.

e8c98d2718b18af646605adc20ba011da7cfb25f804bc9aec8db236b224de64c.webp
 
There isn't a solid pharmacology reason that would explain why you'd feel hungrier on reta than you did during 2 months on nothing at all. In theory the glucagon agonism might drive appetite up, yet with gip and glp-1 agonism happening alongside it, I can't see how that would work. Possibly your receptors are unusual.

Practically speaking, your dose is still tiny. Lots of people claim reta only kicks in past some threshold dose, but it's actually the only one of these that yields substantial weight loss at low doses, close to 9% at 1mg/week across a year. On this forum everyone repeats that it suppresses hunger less than tirz, yet the weight loss numbers don't line up with that. Sure, at higher doses the glucagon agonism probably has you burning an extra 100-200kcal a day, but if people truly ate more on reta, they wouldn't be dropping as much weight. Over a year 100kcal/day comes to only about 4.7kg of fat ( 365 x 100 / 7700kcal/kg of fat tissue ). Funny that this by itself would be enough to account for the greater weight loss versus tirz.

If you don't want to abandon it and switch back to tirzepatide, then you're already doing the one reasonably safe thing for pushing doses up fast, much like what I did to get from 0 to 15 mg of tirzepatide within a month. Stay at 1 mg per day and continue until hunger falls or side effects appear, and if you make it a week, move to 1.5mg per day. Since absorption takes roughly a day, sudden severe side effects are fairly unlikely, as blood levels should drop back to where they were before the latest dose within a day or 2. If side effects show up, halt the increases and hold steady. Given that you handled 10mg of tirzepatide, you'd very likely handle a roughly equivalent reta dose, which I'd guess sits around 7-8mg, so in someone who has already demonstrated they tolerate glp's fine, escalating quickly through small daily doses is safer than it would be for the average person. I wouldn't suggest this to anyone who's never used glp's, or who is diabetic or has several medical conditions. Still, it would spare you weeks to months of extra hunger while waiting for it to work. I'd be shocked if you didn't feel far less hungry once you reached a week of 1mg doses per day. And after you find a dose you like, you can spread it out into larger doses taken less often, as long as the weekly mg total stays the same.
 
Here's how it went for me. I quit Zepbound at 2.5mg abruptly — that had taken off 30 lbs over 3 months — and started reta at 2mg. Across 4 weeks I basically stayed flat, possibly put on 5 lbs. Then I bumped to 4mg of reta each week. Once the 2nd dose kicked in, my appetite went up and yet my body torched MORE fat! It was straight-up dissolving, and my body fat dropped from 13% to 11%. Within 1 week I was 5 lbs under my target weight. Real hunger blunting never showed up, but shedding pounds was the aim and it happened. At this point I'm stepping back to microdosing to hold steady.

Guess I'm a super responder, though most people will locate their sweet spot. The key is not to hurry or obsess over it. Titrate slowly and hold off on increasing until the current dose has built up sufficiently in your system. Patience is everything!
 
woundcarping said:

FlowerFairy said:

guster said:

FlowerFairy said:

guster said:

Sid the SeaGull said:

guster said:

Graymaxxem said:

From what I’ve come across, reta’s appetite-suppressing effect only shows up near 8 mg. I gave it a few months myself, then went back to T. R was fine by me, yet the scale wouldn’t budge — and honestly that suited me, since my goal was to halt the weight loss. (Typing that feels insane! I was aiming to stop losing! WTaF!) The thing is, R lacks the inflammation control that T provides, and that’s something I can’t do without.
Hmm, I had high hopes that retatrutide's third fat-burning pathway would really change things. I'll give it some time and observe the results. I can't help but question if the product I have is fake, since Mounjaro gave me some effect even at 1 mg.
Based on what I've come across, that third receptor doesn't really start working properly until you're past 6mg, though some people say it takes less. Right now I'm just on 3 this month, and I plan to go up to 4 next month, that's what I'm expecting
Going the standard way would take ages, huh. My plan is to bump to 4 mg by week 3. Maybe my earlier tirzepatide use built up some tolerance—guess I'll see.
Full potency takes about 1 month to build up in your system. When you bump the dose every 3 weeks, there’s no chance for that full potency to be reached. Relying on how it “feels” is an easy path to problems. Let it have the time it needs to do its job.
Do you not believe that Mounjaro has made my body accustomed to GLP?
That isn't how these medications operate, and it isn't about your system becoming “accustomed” to GLP drugs. This is simply how they function for everybody. 🙄

Ramping your concentration up faster than staying at one dose for 4-5 weeks is completely doable.

In just 18 days I went from zero Reta exposure to an accumulated peak above 9mg, all while tapering off a 5.6mg Tirz peak concentration. At this point I've been on Reta for 7 weeks, dosing 4mg 2x weekly.

View attachment 11641
The fact that it's possible doesn't make it advisable. I'm sure some people are doing it. That doesn't make it safe.
 
As far as I know, retatrutide works as a triple agonist hitting these 3 targets:

• GLP-1

• GIP

• glucagon

Appetite is usually dampened by GLP-1, whereas glucagon ramps up energy expenditure and may at times push hunger signals higher. So I keep wondering whether there’s an early window during treatment when the glucagon side shows up before GLP-1’s appetite-lowering action has fully developed.

Put differently, might a person feel extra hungry during those first weeks, particularly after prior exposure to potent GLP-1 meds such as tirzepatide, which could leave some existing tolerance to GLP-1 signaling?

I realize the clinical trials mostly describe appetite going down on the whole, so I’m not saying this is a confirmed side effect. What I’m really after is the mechanism behind it, and whether other people have gone through anything like this in those early weeks before appetite suppression truly takes hold.

Anyone else who switched from tirzepatide or semaglutide and saw this?
 
When I first began Reta, my appetite went up. After about 2 weeks it leveled out, and these days I still have the occasional day of intense hunger, yet fat loss is continuing. My guess is that this comes from glucagon's action.
 
Habibibi said:

guster said:

Sid the SeaGull said:

guster said:

woundcarping said:

For months you were on 10mg of Tirz, and now you're doing 1mg twice weekly — and you're surprised that you're hungry?

Your approach to reconstitution is odd, and I figure there's a typo in there.
Yeah, I get it. For those roughly 2 months without tirzepatide, I had no issues. But at this moment, my hunger is stronger than it ever was before I began any GLP medication.

My reconstitution might look odd since I mistakenly bought a stronger concentration than I meant to, 40 mg in each vial. So that nothing went to waste, I mixed it and only used half of it, meaning 20 mg, then put the other half in the freezer to save for later.
I'd be curious to hear whether, in your opinion, the Reta lost potency once it had been reconstituted and then stored in the freezer for a while.
I haven't touched the frozen reta. Only the remaining portion
Once retatrutide has been reconstituted, it should not be frozen. The entire vial should be used; even after 60 days, reconstituted retatrutide does not undergo any meaningful degradation. Because bacterial growth is the primary concern when using it beyond 4 weeks, I strongly suggest filtering.
Sadly the timing is off—it has already gone through freezing and thawing. The bac water is in, and within about the next 7 days I plan to inject my Rat. We'll just have to wait and find out what comes of it....
 
From what I've gathered, peptides break down when they go through multiple freeze-thaw rounds. Still, losing just 1% or a few percent after one thaw hardly matters at all, so there's no reason to stress over it. Suppose the loss even reached 5% — which I seriously doubt — a dose would contain 4.75mg rather than 5mg, a gap too tiny to feel.
 
lessthanhalf said:

From what I've gathered, peptides break down when they go through multiple freeze-thaw rounds. Still, losing just 1% or a few percent after one thaw hardly matters at all, so there's no reason to stress over it. Suppose the loss even reached 5% — which I seriously doubt — a dose would contain 4.75mg rather than 5mg, a gap too tiny to feel.
Thanks, that matches a few of the tips I've come across. Should my rat make it through and live to tell the story, I'm sure it will give an update in the weeks ahead
 
Sid the SeaGull said:

lessthanhalf said:

From what I've gathered, peptides break down when they go through multiple freeze-thaw rounds. Still, losing just 1% or a few percent after one thaw hardly matters at all, so there's no reason to stress over it. Suppose the loss even reached 5% — which I seriously doubt — a dose would contain 4.75mg rather than 5mg, a gap too tiny to feel.
Thanks, that matches a few of the tips I've come across. Should my rat make it through and live to tell the story, I'm sure it will give an update in the weeks ahead
Wait, your rat can talk? 🤣
 
Habibibi said:

It really is a pity that such an incredible medication goes to rodents...
As long as a rat has a wheel and something engaging to do, it's actually quite rare for one to become fat at all. During the years I kept them, I'd also let mine roam free through much of the evening. You simply open the door, off they go in every direction, and at the point when they need to go back in, a shake of a peanut bag brings the whole group running — each one takes a single peanut, then returns to the enclosure.

This was back in the early 2000's, so no pictures exist, but according to my first husband, there are moments when he'll be in the middle of something and suddenly recall 7 rats arranged in a semi-circle around me, waiting patiently while their Bedtime Peanut was handed out one by one.
 
I'd bet there are plenty of seriously overweight mice and rats sitting in labs all over the place. All you need is a 60% fat diet, and by now at least hundreds, maybe thousands, of them have been given reta to treat their obesity. Once they finally shed the extra weight and end up dissected, that's not such a good deal for them. Still, testing it on them before humans is probably the better route.
 
Back
Top