octopusthorpe
Explorer
50 y/o, 5'10", dropped 160lb during 2016 through low-carb eating, progressive overload strength work, and hiking.
That loss stayed put until perimenopause arrived in late 2024 - close to 20lb came on within a year even though diet and training stayed the same.
HRT was started (estradiol patch plus low-dose test-c), and it addressed everything except the slow upward creep on the scale.
Weight climbed from around 140 to somewhere in the 157-162lb range and refused to move no matter which of my reliable fat loss methods I used.
After five and a half weeks on reta I'm 18.6lb lighter (1mg/week, divided into two 0.5 doses) and my lifting has not suffered (max bench 130lb, max squat 205lb, max deadlift 305lb), though my weekly hikes did take a hit - normally I cover 20-30 miles each Saturday with about 2k feet of elevation gain, but recovery has slipped, so now I'm doing roughly 12-15 miles every other week. On non-hiking days I use a light indoor bike.
RHR and HRV have only shifted slightly (RHR moved from 45-50bpm up to 51-54bpm). Sleep isn't ideal (still about 6-7 hours a night, and the 4am wake-ups are annoying).
Protein: roughly 160g/day (normal for me).
Since I'm now at 144 I might lower the dose somewhat, as I don't want to shed too much - just stunned by how well this works.
That loss stayed put until perimenopause arrived in late 2024 - close to 20lb came on within a year even though diet and training stayed the same.
HRT was started (estradiol patch plus low-dose test-c), and it addressed everything except the slow upward creep on the scale.
Weight climbed from around 140 to somewhere in the 157-162lb range and refused to move no matter which of my reliable fat loss methods I used.
After five and a half weeks on reta I'm 18.6lb lighter (1mg/week, divided into two 0.5 doses) and my lifting has not suffered (max bench 130lb, max squat 205lb, max deadlift 305lb), though my weekly hikes did take a hit - normally I cover 20-30 miles each Saturday with about 2k feet of elevation gain, but recovery has slipped, so now I'm doing roughly 12-15 miles every other week. On non-hiking days I use a light indoor bike.
RHR and HRV have only shifted slightly (RHR moved from 45-50bpm up to 51-54bpm). Sleep isn't ideal (still about 6-7 hours a night, and the 4am wake-ups are annoying).
Protein: roughly 160g/day (normal for me).
Since I'm now at 144 I might lower the dose somewhat, as I don't want to shed too much - just stunned by how well this works.