Reta causing severe tiredness right from the start

Bioexplorer

Explorer
Joined
Apr 18, 2026
Messages
117
Reaction score
0
Location
Lexington, KY
My wife took her first 1mg dose of Reta yesterday. She reports no shift in appetite or any other effect, except that she is overwhelmingly tired and sleepy. She is unable to keep her eyes open throughout the day. This is completely different from what happened to me. Has anyone else experienced this, and if so, what was the duration?

I doubt she'll tolerate this for long. Definitely not a shortage of calories. If anything, she's eating more than before starting.
 
During my initial 7 days on Tirz, I went through the exact same thing. That kind of extreme sleepiness is a frequent response to GLPs, and for most individuals it fades away within 7 to 14 days. When it comes to blunting hunger, Reta does not perform as strongly as Tirz, and many users say they do not notice anything until the dose is increased.
 
It doesn't happen instantly with this stuff—it takes time. For her, that dose might not be enough. My wife and I began at 2mg, stayed there for 4 weeks, then increased. I don't know anything about fatigue. That hasn't happened to either of us.
 
Bioexplorer said:

My wife took her first 1mg dose of Reta yesterday. She reports no shift in appetite or any other effect, except that she is overwhelmingly tired and sleepy. She is unable to keep her eyes open throughout the day. This is completely different from what happened to me. Has anyone else experienced this, and if so, what was the duration?

I doubt she'll tolerate this for long. Definitely not a shortage of calories. If anything, she's eating more than before starting.
Same thing happened to me. The peak of it ran roughly 2 days, though in my experience it took a solid month or two before I'd call things "normal." Honestly, it would surprise me if she weren't eating more given that state, but my guess is that once a week has passed (or as soon as the scale begins to budge), it will mostly work in her favor. And as the tiredness shifts from crippling to merely annoying, it probably won't hold her back as much. It's like coming out the other side of the flu: you aren't back to 100% yet, but you can tell you're improving, and that alone feels encouraging.
 
I’m on the same page.

For a lot of people, that drowsiness — for me it was close to narcoleptic — is expected and doesn’t stick around. The really strong phase only lasted a few weeks, showing up for a couple of hours, about 24-36hrs after every dose. After that, it fades into a mild afternoon energy dip lasting a couple of hours, and then it mostly levels out.

If it ever comes back months down the line for me, it typically means my body needs more fuel (food).
 
When I first began, I dealt with serious exhaustion for roughly 2 weeks. I blamed it on dropping from 3000-5000 calories daily all the way down to 1000. Every part of my day suffered, and a lot of my training sessions turned into really lazy efforts. As time passed it improved, and after a couple months things leveled out.
 
Bioexplorer said:

My wife took her first 1mg dose of Reta yesterday. She reports no shift in appetite or any other effect, except that she is overwhelmingly tired and sleepy. She is unable to keep her eyes open throughout the day. This is completely different from what happened to me. Has anyone else experienced this, and if so, what was the duration?

I doubt she'll tolerate this for long. Definitely not a shortage of calories. If anything, she's eating more than before starting.
That dose is really quite small. My recommendation would be to raise it to at least 2mg for 1 week, then increase to 4mg in the following week.

While on reta, getting sufficient protein and carbs matters a lot.
 
Appreciate the great responses. She's feeling more hopeful now that things will improve. Before we consider raising the dose, we'll check in on how she's doing once this first week wraps up.

What catches me off guard is just how much each person's reaction varies. Even that small dose knocked me out, and I really had to push myself to eat enough, though I never dealt with serious exhaustion.
 
Encourage her to stick with it. In my case, effects showed up 48 hours in, while my dad, using the identical vial, felt nothing until 2-3 weeks had passed. Once the effects do arrive and the scale begins to move, that drive will show up! Hang in there—both of you have plenty of backing in this space!
 
Bioexplorer said:

My wife took her first 1mg dose of Reta yesterday. She reports no shift in appetite or any other effect, except that she is overwhelmingly tired and sleepy. She is unable to keep her eyes open throughout the day. This is completely different from what happened to me. Has anyone else experienced this, and if so, what was the duration?

I doubt she'll tolerate this for long. Definitely not a shortage of calories. If anything, she's eating more than before starting.
When I began reta in January, I experienced the exact same issue. Normally I struggle with insomnia, yet during the first 2 months I did nothing but sleep. I could fall asleep instantly, particularly later in the day. In time this faded, and these days fatigue only hits me when I increase the dose, and it passes quickly. My energy is still below what I'd want, and I'm continuing to look into what might help offset that.
 
My fatigue was fairly intense at first and mostly faded within several weeks. The flat mood was different: it took a few weeks to build up, then stuck around until roughly 2 weeks after I stopped.

I wouldn’t raise the dose while still managing side effects. For me, 1mg twice weekly worked best. Once I held off on a dose so I could test 1.5mg once a week, and when it hit the following day I was violently ill.

Another thing: despite solid appetite suppression and the scale creeping downward, I saw zero visible difference and my pants fit the same for about 6 weeks. Then one morning I looked in the mirror and it seemed like a large amount of weight had vanished overnight.

Low and slow.
 
DragonOfTheSea said:

I’m on the same page.

For a lot of people, that drowsiness — for me it was close to narcoleptic — is expected and doesn’t stick around. The really strong phase only lasted a few weeks, showing up for a couple of hours, about 24-36hrs after every dose. After that, it fades into a mild afternoon energy dip lasting a couple of hours, and then it mostly levels out.

If it ever comes back months down the line for me, it typically means my body needs more fuel (food).
Same thing happened to me, word for word. It hits a couple of days later every time. It stopped once I got through the first few weeks. These days (6 weeks in), if the tiredness gets too heavy it usually means I haven't eaten enough, so I'll have a fairlife.
 
Six weeks into using Reta, my daily calorie shortfall sits at roughly 800 kcal on average. Fatigue has become a constant companion. Sleep quality is actually excellent — largely thanks to giving up alcohol — yet I keep nodding off on the couch a full hour ahead of my normal bedtime.

A couple of complicating factors are at play: work is currently in its demanding stretch, requiring extra mental and occasionally physical exertion, and I am training more often and harder than I did before starting Reta.
 
6 5" and 240 was where I began. 227lbs as of today. A month on .5mg now. Cut from 2500+ a day (never actually tracked it, could have been more) down to 2,000 or under — high protein, low carb. Weighing everything, logging everything. Gym and cardio. Energy is definitely up. Sleep is worse. Everyone's different.

All I want out of reta is more say over what I eat — no nausea, just a degree of indifference. Last night's meal was fantastic, and I could still have walked away from it.
 
Troposphere said:

Six weeks into using Reta, my daily calorie shortfall sits at roughly 800 kcal on average. Fatigue has become a constant companion. Sleep quality is actually excellent — largely thanks to giving up alcohol — yet I keep nodding off on the couch a full hour ahead of my normal bedtime.

A couple of complicating factors are at play: work is currently in its demanding stretch, requiring extra mental and occasionally physical exertion, and I am training more often and harder than I did before starting Reta.
All I want is to push my workouts harder. Since my last injury, what used to be consistent progress has become repeated extended pauses, and at times I lose weight. I'm hoping things get better once my body adjusts.
 
Bioexplorer said:

Troposphere said:

Six weeks into using Reta, my daily calorie shortfall sits at roughly 800 kcal on average. Fatigue has become a constant companion. Sleep quality is actually excellent — largely thanks to giving up alcohol — yet I keep nodding off on the couch a full hour ahead of my normal bedtime.

A couple of complicating factors are at play: work is currently in its demanding stretch, requiring extra mental and occasionally physical exertion, and I am training more often and harder than I did before starting Reta.
All I want is to push my workouts harder. Since my last injury, what used to be consistent progress has become repeated extended pauses, and at times I lose weight. I'm hoping things get better once my body adjusts.
Rock climbing and yoga are the 2 activities I focus on most for exercise. Having less body fat makes both of them simpler to perform. Since dropping weight, I'm able to push myself more in these pursuits.
 
Back
Top