Reta at week 11: my results

monkymate

Explorer
Joined
Jun 23, 2026
Messages
33
Reaction score
0
Location
Lexington KY
Began on May 18th. The starting picture: obesity 308lbs, A1c 7.6, average fasting morning glucose of 140 (Diabeties, managed with Metformin and Jardiance), sleep apnea at 10cm pressure on APAP, LDL high at 130 with HDL low at 32, and a fatty liver with raised AST and ALT.

The first 4weeks were 1mg Reta, then 2 for four weeks, then 4 from there on. Exercise went up to brisk walking 3 times a week, 3.5 to 3.8 mph for an hour a time. I am also part of the VA's (Veteran) MOVE weight loss program, which I recommend highly. RETA was not what they gave me, but the program qualified me for a "slot" in the VA lottery for Zepbound, and for a Vet that is the only way to get it through the VA. Since liver fat blasting was what I wanted, grey it was instead.

Labs came back yesterday 8/6, and on everything I had made gains or improved.

-Weight 269, so 39lbs lost, and the WYZE scale with its 12 sensors shows lean muscle preserved with the loss being fat. A DEXA scan is still needed, but consistency on a BIA scale reveals trends.

-A1c came in at 6.0, and on the doctor's advice both Metformin and Jardiance were stopped. Morning fasting glucose now sits at 85 to 92.

-There is an auto adjust feature on the sleep machine, so I lowered the minimum to 4cm (the lowest the machine goes) and it kept hunting for disturbances, dropping itself to 4cm around 2 weeks ago. Sleeping without it is possible, but the snoring continues, so for the sake of the wife I still use it.

-LDL has come down and HDL has gone up. Both remain slightly out of range, but improved.

-AST and ALT are likewise only just out of range, a great improvement on the fatty liver

The low back pain and the right knee are doing much better.

A godsend, this has been. The weight is down, the food noise has gone, no restrictive diet - I simply eat normally and healthily.
 
Great job. Which dose is where the most weight loss started showing, or was it fairly steady the whole way? I am only starting, though ghk-cu will be part of it too. It arrives on Monday. Anything else in the mix for you? Which part of the move program appeals to you? For PTSD treatment they keep offering it to me, to help me "socialize." Not sold on it yet, though.
 
Heavytruck said:

Great job. Which dose is where the most weight loss started showing, or was it fairly steady the whole way? I am only starting, though ghk-cu will be part of it too. It arrives on Monday. Anything else in the mix for you? Which part of the move program appeals to you? For PTSD treatment they keep offering it to me, to help me "socialize." Not sold on it yet, though.
The move program is pretty solid. Good information, encouragement and advice in abundance. It is not a program that pretends a calorie deficit plus exercise is all you need. What dose worked best I could not say. My Shotsy graph is below.





1731b3e67bb70cd0c2f4617bb66f77960ba70f76f0a4c11d0df2464f3ae308d4.webp
 
Nice work, and I am delighted for you. Thanks for putting this up. Great results, and fairly common ones too. For people who exercise while on reta, life turns around. Maintain that momentum, and once you are ready, work some resistance training in. Bands are cheap, barely take up any room and are very versatile. Go slowly; an injury is the last thing you want. Explosive results will follow.

Here is to the opening chapter of the rest of your life!
 
monkymate said:

Began on May 18th. The starting picture: obesity 308lbs, A1c 7.6, average fasting morning glucose of 140 (Diabeties, managed with Metformin and Jardiance), sleep apnea at 10cm pressure on APAP, LDL high at 130 with HDL low at 32, and a fatty liver with raised AST and ALT.

The first 4weeks were 1mg Reta, then 2 for four weeks, then 4 from there on. Exercise went up to brisk walking 3 times a week, 3.5 to 3.8 mph for an hour a time. I am also part of the VA's (Veteran) MOVE weight loss program, which I recommend highly. RETA was not what they gave me, but the program qualified me for a "slot" in the VA lottery for Zepbound, and for a Vet that is the only way to get it through the VA. Since liver fat blasting was what I wanted, grey it was instead.

Labs came back yesterday 8/6, and on everything I had made gains or improved.

-Weight 269, so 39lbs lost, and the WYZE scale with its 12 sensors shows lean muscle preserved with the loss being fat. A DEXA scan is still needed, but consistency on a BIA scale reveals trends.

-A1c came in at 6.0, and on the doctor's advice both Metformin and Jardiance were stopped. Morning fasting glucose now sits at 85 to 92.

-There is an auto adjust feature on the sleep machine, so I lowered the minimum to 4cm (the lowest the machine goes) and it kept hunting for disturbances, dropping itself to 4cm around 2 weeks ago. Sleeping without it is possible, but the snoring continues, so for the sake of the wife I still use it.

-LDL has come down and HDL has gone up. Both remain slightly out of range, but improved.

-AST and ALT are likewise only just out of range, a great improvement on the fatty liver

The low back pain and the right knee are doing much better.

A godsend, this has been. The weight is down, the food noise has gone, no restrictive diet - I simply eat normally and healthily.
Wow, incredible! Sharing this was good of you.
 
monkymate said:

Began on May 18th. The starting picture: obesity 308lbs, A1c 7.6, average fasting morning glucose of 140 (Diabeties, managed with Metformin and Jardiance), sleep apnea at 10cm pressure on APAP, LDL high at 130 with HDL low at 32, and a fatty liver with raised AST and ALT.

The first 4weeks were 1mg Reta, then 2 for four weeks, then 4 from there on. Exercise went up to brisk walking 3 times a week, 3.5 to 3.8 mph for an hour a time. I am also part of the VA's (Veteran) MOVE weight loss program, which I recommend highly. RETA was not what they gave me, but the program qualified me for a "slot" in the VA lottery for Zepbound, and for a Vet that is the only way to get it through the VA. Since liver fat blasting was what I wanted, grey it was instead.

Labs came back yesterday 8/6, and on everything I had made gains or improved.

-Weight 269, so 39lbs lost, and the WYZE scale with its 12 sensors shows lean muscle preserved with the loss being fat. A DEXA scan is still needed, but consistency on a BIA scale reveals trends.

-A1c came in at 6.0, and on the doctor's advice both Metformin and Jardiance were stopped. Morning fasting glucose now sits at 85 to 92.

-There is an auto adjust feature on the sleep machine, so I lowered the minimum to 4cm (the lowest the machine goes) and it kept hunting for disturbances, dropping itself to 4cm around 2 weeks ago. Sleeping without it is possible, but the snoring continues, so for the sake of the wife I still use it.

-LDL has come down and HDL has gone up. Both remain slightly out of range, but improved.

-AST and ALT are likewise only just out of range, a great improvement on the fatty liver

The low back pain and the right knee are doing much better.

A godsend, this has been. The weight is down, the food noise has gone, no restrictive diet - I simply eat normally and healthily.
Fantastic! Well done!
 
What great stuff this is! Congrats - and light resistance gets my vote too, the same as everyone else.. not anything too crazy, just enough that you feel you are working 🙂
 
monkymate said:

Began on May 18th. The starting picture: obesity 308lbs, A1c 7.6, average fasting morning glucose of 140 (Diabeties, managed with Metformin and Jardiance), sleep apnea at 10cm pressure on APAP, LDL high at 130 with HDL low at 32, and a fatty liver with raised AST and ALT.

The first 4weeks were 1mg Reta, then 2 for four weeks, then 4 from there on. Exercise went up to brisk walking 3 times a week, 3.5 to 3.8 mph for an hour a time. I am also part of the VA's (Veteran) MOVE weight loss program, which I recommend highly. RETA was not what they gave me, but the program qualified me for a "slot" in the VA lottery for Zepbound, and for a Vet that is the only way to get it through the VA. Since liver fat blasting was what I wanted, grey it was instead.

Labs came back yesterday 8/6, and on everything I had made gains or improved.

-Weight 269, so 39lbs lost, and the WYZE scale with its 12 sensors shows lean muscle preserved with the loss being fat. A DEXA scan is still needed, but consistency on a BIA scale reveals trends.

-A1c came in at 6.0, and on the doctor's advice both Metformin and Jardiance were stopped. Morning fasting glucose now sits at 85 to 92.

-There is an auto adjust feature on the sleep machine, so I lowered the minimum to 4cm (the lowest the machine goes) and it kept hunting for disturbances, dropping itself to 4cm around 2 weeks ago. Sleeping without it is possible, but the snoring continues, so for the sake of the wife I still use it.

-LDL has come down and HDL has gone up. Both remain slightly out of range, but improved.

-AST and ALT are likewise only just out of range, a great improvement on the fatty liver

The low back pain and the right knee are doing much better.

A godsend, this has been. The weight is down, the food noise has gone, no restrictive diet - I simply eat normally and healthily.
That is great news. Keep it going.

What does your overall diet look like? Careful food choices, not merely eating less, can push the results further.
 
lastresort said:

monkymate said:

Began on May 18th. The starting picture: obesity 308lbs, A1c 7.6, average fasting morning glucose of 140 (Diabeties, managed with Metformin and Jardiance), sleep apnea at 10cm pressure on APAP, LDL high at 130 with HDL low at 32, and a fatty liver with raised AST and ALT.

The first 4weeks were 1mg Reta, then 2 for four weeks, then 4 from there on. Exercise went up to brisk walking 3 times a week, 3.5 to 3.8 mph for an hour a time. I am also part of the VA's (Veteran) MOVE weight loss program, which I recommend highly. RETA was not what they gave me, but the program qualified me for a "slot" in the VA lottery for Zepbound, and for a Vet that is the only way to get it through the VA. Since liver fat blasting was what I wanted, grey it was instead.

Labs came back yesterday 8/6, and on everything I had made gains or improved.

-Weight 269, so 39lbs lost, and the WYZE scale with its 12 sensors shows lean muscle preserved with the loss being fat. A DEXA scan is still needed, but consistency on a BIA scale reveals trends.

-A1c came in at 6.0, and on the doctor's advice both Metformin and Jardiance were stopped. Morning fasting glucose now sits at 85 to 92.

-There is an auto adjust feature on the sleep machine, so I lowered the minimum to 4cm (the lowest the machine goes) and it kept hunting for disturbances, dropping itself to 4cm around 2 weeks ago. Sleeping without it is possible, but the snoring continues, so for the sake of the wife I still use it.

-LDL has come down and HDL has gone up. Both remain slightly out of range, but improved.

-AST and ALT are likewise only just out of range, a great improvement on the fatty liver

The low back pain and the right knee are doing much better.

A godsend, this has been. The weight is down, the food noise has gone, no restrictive diet - I simply eat normally and healthily.
That is great news. Keep it going.

What does your overall diet look like? Careful food choices, not merely eating less, can push the results further.
With the food noise gone the diet has improved and I am eating much better. 200 is the goal weight, so the aim is 200 grams of protein, mostly out of eggs and meat. Whole vegetables, salads and fruits supply the carbs. Starches such as potatoes and rice feature but not heavily. Sweets hold no appeal. Yogurt and dairy are in there as well. Processed foods are being edged out.

The pre-dinner McDonald’s snack is a thing of the past.🤣 Eating just my BMR and staying clean is something I have never managed for this long. It seems too easy
 
Oh, and the Yuka app comes highly recommended for looking foods up. What I was eating has been quite an eye opener. Tracking is done for food with MyFitnessPal, for exercise and sleep and other data with the Apple Watch Ultra 3, and for weight and general body composition with a BIA scale, the Wyze Ultra Body Scan. Medical care all runs through the VA, and I am part of the MOVE program with a dietitian, an endocrinologist and my primary care Dr. Everything these produce feeds into Apple Health, where all sorts of trends are visible, along with lab history for past 15 years. Between a Nuclear Navy background and a career in building automation and control, tracking and trending everything comes naturally to me.
 
Losing weight was never the difficulty in the past, nor was doing what I should do; what I could never manage was making it last beyond a month or so without giving in to the voice in my head. Given how much RETA has improved my health and my diet, dropping all the other Meds in favour of this one strikes me as a no brainer, and for the rest of my life some form of GLP1 will be part of it.
 
In a similar stretch of time you have lost nearly double what I have. Tirz is what I have been using, but I am certain your own efforts are what doubled your results. Other health issues and a bad ankle have kept me sedentary, though only today I began moving with intent again.

Lucky for me, sleep apnea vanished inside the first week of tirz, and every lab result has improved.
 
monkymate said:

Began on May 18th. The starting picture: obesity 308lbs, A1c 7.6, average fasting morning glucose of 140 (Diabeties, managed with Metformin and Jardiance), sleep apnea at 10cm pressure on APAP, LDL high at 130 with HDL low at 32, and a fatty liver with raised AST and ALT.

The first 4weeks were 1mg Reta, then 2 for four weeks, then 4 from there on. Exercise went up to brisk walking 3 times a week, 3.5 to 3.8 mph for an hour a time. I am also part of the VA's (Veteran) MOVE weight loss program, which I recommend highly. RETA was not what they gave me, but the program qualified me for a "slot" in the VA lottery for Zepbound, and for a Vet that is the only way to get it through the VA. Since liver fat blasting was what I wanted, grey it was instead.

Labs came back yesterday 8/6, and on everything I had made gains or improved.

-Weight 269, so 39lbs lost, and the WYZE scale with its 12 sensors shows lean muscle preserved with the loss being fat. A DEXA scan is still needed, but consistency on a BIA scale reveals trends.

-A1c came in at 6.0, and on the doctor's advice both Metformin and Jardiance were stopped. Morning fasting glucose now sits at 85 to 92.

-There is an auto adjust feature on the sleep machine, so I lowered the minimum to 4cm (the lowest the machine goes) and it kept hunting for disturbances, dropping itself to 4cm around 2 weeks ago. Sleeping without it is possible, but the snoring continues, so for the sake of the wife I still use it.

-LDL has come down and HDL has gone up. Both remain slightly out of range, but improved.

-AST and ALT are likewise only just out of range, a great improvement on the fatty liver

The low back pain and the right knee are doing much better.

A godsend, this has been. The weight is down, the food noise has gone, no restrictive diet - I simply eat normally and healthily.
Your self‑discipline and perseverance are genuinely admirable. What a truly inspiring, well‑thought‑out and detailed plan!
 
lastresort said:

That is imprecise. In calorie terms, "whole" food says very little. Meticulous calorie counting is what you need.
This comes up from people now and then. What I absolutely LOVE is not needing any kind of meticulous relationship with food any more. Even after 13 months I am not at goal, yet going back to that is impossible. Realising how much brain power food used to consume is among the biggest benefits for me. An extra lobe is what it feels like. Never going back.
 
The scale keeps dropping at 2lbs+ per week, while muscle, lean mass, and BMR have held steady. I'm now in the 250s! That puts me 1/2 of the way toward my 200-205 target. Fat loss so far: 49.5lbs. This month I have an ultrasound scheduled to see how the fatty liver is responding.

Image unavailable
 
Wow, I really should get my levels checked and one. I've only been on it for roughly a month, though. Awesome progress! this board is amazing.
 
Back
Top