Reta & Arthritis

CharlieBrown

Explorer
Joined
Mar 29, 2026
Messages
111
Reaction score
0
Location
Vancouver BC, Canada
Sorry in advance if this ends up being lengthy...

Back when I was younger, I rode a road bike as an amateur and did races. Through those years, my right knee suffered 2 MCL tears and 2 meniscus tears, plus I injured the inner gastronomic muscle on my left side.

As a result, running became impossible (my right knee has no cartilage left), and hiking would leave me with mild inflammation.

A diagnosis of arthritis in my left foot came last year. Walking beyond 30 minutes brought significant discomfort.

Being only in my mid 60's, I found myself wondering.....is this all there is? No hiking in Beautiful British Columbia, and not even a walk longer than 30 minutes.

That's where Reta comes in. The glucagon benefits are what led me to start Reta, and I came across a report in the NY Medical Journal stating that by the end of phase 2 trials, 25% of participants with knee osteoarthritis walked out of the clinic "pain free".

My Reta journey began in January @ 0.5mg, with increases of 1mg every 6th day. For the last 5 weeks I've been at 8mg.

Once the 4th week passed, I began to notice the pain in my left foot fading. At 2 months, I was pain free. The bone spur in front of my big toe remains, though pressing on it no longer hurts like it used to. And my right knee shows no inflammation after hiking with moderate elevation.

Since last month, I've been heading to the gym after dinner to RUN on the treadmill. To me, that's incredible. Telling my orthopedic surgeon about this would be something I'd love to do.

My hope is that this helps others dealing with similar issues 🙂
 
Thanks for telling your story. That's really impactful. It's a shame that there's so much danger in letting a doctor know about the research we do, particularly now that AI has begun taking medical notes. Once "med seeking" ends up in your file...
 
CharlieBrown said:

Sorry in advance if this ends up being lengthy...

Back when I was younger, I rode a road bike as an amateur and did races. Through those years, my right knee suffered 2 MCL tears and 2 meniscus tears, plus I injured the inner gastronomic muscle on my left side.

As a result, running became impossible (my right knee has no cartilage left), and hiking would leave me with mild inflammation.

A diagnosis of arthritis in my left foot came last year. Walking beyond 30 minutes brought significant discomfort.

Being only in my mid 60's, I found myself wondering.....is this all there is? No hiking in Beautiful British Columbia, and not even a walk longer than 30 minutes.

That's where Reta comes in. The glucagon benefits are what led me to start Reta, and I came across a report in the NY Medical Journal stating that by the end of phase 2 trials, 25% of participants with knee osteoarthritis walked out of the clinic "pain free".

My Reta journey began in January @ 0.5mg, with increases of 1mg every 6th day. For the last 5 weeks I've been at 8mg.

Once the 4th week passed, I began to notice the pain in my left foot fading. At 2 months, I was pain free. The bone spur in front of my big toe remains, though pressing on it no longer hurts like it used to. And my right knee shows no inflammation after hiking with moderate elevation.

Since last month, I've been heading to the gym after dinner to RUN on the treadmill. To me, that's incredible. Telling my orthopedic surgeon about this would be something I'd love to do.

My hope is that this helps others dealing with similar issues 🙂
Great to hear you're feeling better! Stories about these kinds of transformations and wins never get old.

That titration ramp was quite steep.. what did the side effects put you through?
 
DragonOfTheSea said:

CharlieBrown said:

Sorry in advance if this ends up being lengthy...

Back when I was younger, I rode a road bike as an amateur and did races. Through those years, my right knee suffered 2 MCL tears and 2 meniscus tears, plus I injured the inner gastronomic muscle on my left side.

As a result, running became impossible (my right knee has no cartilage left), and hiking would leave me with mild inflammation.

A diagnosis of arthritis in my left foot came last year. Walking beyond 30 minutes brought significant discomfort.

Being only in my mid 60's, I found myself wondering.....is this all there is? No hiking in Beautiful British Columbia, and not even a walk longer than 30 minutes.

That's where Reta comes in. The glucagon benefits are what led me to start Reta, and I came across a report in the NY Medical Journal stating that by the end of phase 2 trials, 25% of participants with knee osteoarthritis walked out of the clinic "pain free".

My Reta journey began in January @ 0.5mg, with increases of 1mg every 6th day. For the last 5 weeks I've been at 8mg.

Once the 4th week passed, I began to notice the pain in my left foot fading. At 2 months, I was pain free. The bone spur in front of my big toe remains, though pressing on it no longer hurts like it used to. And my right knee shows no inflammation after hiking with moderate elevation.

Since last month, I've been heading to the gym after dinner to RUN on the treadmill. To me, that's incredible. Telling my orthopedic surgeon about this would be something I'd love to do.

My hope is that this helps others dealing with similar issues 🙂
Great to hear you're feeling better! Stories about these kinds of transformations and wins never get old.

That titration ramp was quite steep.. what did the side effects put you through?

alphaamigo said:

Thanks for telling your story. That's really impactful. It's a shame that there's so much danger in letting a doctor know about the research we do, particularly now that AI has begun taking medical notes. Once "med seeking" ends up in your file...
Thanks 🙂
 
DragonOfTheSea said:

CharlieBrown said:

Sorry in advance if this ends up being lengthy...

Back when I was younger, I rode a road bike as an amateur and did races. Through those years, my right knee suffered 2 MCL tears and 2 meniscus tears, plus I injured the inner gastronomic muscle on my left side.

As a result, running became impossible (my right knee has no cartilage left), and hiking would leave me with mild inflammation.

A diagnosis of arthritis in my left foot came last year. Walking beyond 30 minutes brought significant discomfort.

Being only in my mid 60's, I found myself wondering.....is this all there is? No hiking in Beautiful British Columbia, and not even a walk longer than 30 minutes.

That's where Reta comes in. The glucagon benefits are what led me to start Reta, and I came across a report in the NY Medical Journal stating that by the end of phase 2 trials, 25% of participants with knee osteoarthritis walked out of the clinic "pain free".

My Reta journey began in January @ 0.5mg, with increases of 1mg every 6th day. For the last 5 weeks I've been at 8mg.

Once the 4th week passed, I began to notice the pain in my left foot fading. At 2 months, I was pain free. The bone spur in front of my big toe remains, though pressing on it no longer hurts like it used to. And my right knee shows no inflammation after hiking with moderate elevation.

Since last month, I've been heading to the gym after dinner to RUN on the treadmill. To me, that's incredible. Telling my orthopedic surgeon about this would be something I'd love to do.

My hope is that this helps others dealing with similar issues 🙂
Great to hear you're feeling better! Stories about these kinds of transformations and wins never get old.

That titration ramp was quite steep.. what did the side effects put you through?
Thanks 🙂

Before I gave Reta a shot, I put in a lot of research time. I kept ginger nearby in case nausea hit.

I followed the advice to ramp up gradually, and I never experienced ANY appetite suppression, nor any side effects. Getting to 8-12mg as fast as I safely could was the plan.

When 4mg brought still no appetite suppression, I looked it up online; turns out it's pretty common.

The worst thing I dealt with was exhaustion, and that stuck around for just 1 week.

I've stayed at 8mg since everything is going so well. Those "old Man boobs" are finally gone.

Love handles have vanished, my chest has definition, and the six pack abs are beginning to appear.

I was using TRT; just 50mg / wk. I doubled it and hit the gym every day.

In my profile pic I was 160lbs, now I'm 143. My aim.........to match Jake Gyllenhaal's physique in Road House.

Edit: one big side effect did show up; I lost all interest and pleasure in my morning coffee.

It's been 3 months since my last coffee; I have no craving for it.
 
CharlieBrown said:

DragonOfTheSea said:

CharlieBrown said:

Sorry in advance if this ends up being lengthy...

Back when I was younger, I rode a road bike as an amateur and did races. Through those years, my right knee suffered 2 MCL tears and 2 meniscus tears, plus I injured the inner gastronomic muscle on my left side.

As a result, running became impossible (my right knee has no cartilage left), and hiking would leave me with mild inflammation.

A diagnosis of arthritis in my left foot came last year. Walking beyond 30 minutes brought significant discomfort.

Being only in my mid 60's, I found myself wondering.....is this all there is? No hiking in Beautiful British Columbia, and not even a walk longer than 30 minutes.

That's where Reta comes in. The glucagon benefits are what led me to start Reta, and I came across a report in the NY Medical Journal stating that by the end of phase 2 trials, 25% of participants with knee osteoarthritis walked out of the clinic "pain free".

My Reta journey began in January @ 0.5mg, with increases of 1mg every 6th day. For the last 5 weeks I've been at 8mg.

Once the 4th week passed, I began to notice the pain in my left foot fading. At 2 months, I was pain free. The bone spur in front of my big toe remains, though pressing on it no longer hurts like it used to. And my right knee shows no inflammation after hiking with moderate elevation.

Since last month, I've been heading to the gym after dinner to RUN on the treadmill. To me, that's incredible. Telling my orthopedic surgeon about this would be something I'd love to do.

My hope is that this helps others dealing with similar issues 🙂
Great to hear you're feeling better! Stories about these kinds of transformations and wins never get old.

That titration ramp was quite steep.. what did the side effects put you through?
Thanks 🙂

Before I gave Reta a shot, I put in a lot of research time. I kept ginger nearby in case nausea hit.

I followed the advice to ramp up gradually, and I never experienced ANY appetite suppression, nor any side effects. Getting to 8-12mg as fast as I safely could was the plan.

When 4mg brought still no appetite suppression, I looked it up online; turns out it's pretty common.

The worst thing I dealt with was exhaustion, and that stuck around for just 1 week.

I've stayed at 8mg since everything is going so well. Those "old Man boobs" are finally gone.

Love handles have vanished, my chest has definition, and the six pack abs are beginning to appear.

I was using TRT; just 50mg / wk. I doubled it and hit the gym every day.

In my profile pic I was 160lbs, now I'm 143. My aim.........to match Jake Gyllenhaal's physique in Road House.

Edit: one big side effect did show up; I lost all interest and pleasure in my morning coffee.

It's been 3 months since my last coffee; I have no craving for it.
That reads like really solid progress!

And needing less caffeine is no bad thing — cheers to cutting back on the less healthy habits💉
 
alphaamigo said:

Thanks for telling your story. That's really impactful. It's a shame that there's so much danger in letting a doctor know about the research we do, particularly now that AI has begun taking medical notes. Once "med seeking" ends up in your file...
I'm upfront with my physicians about everything. Given the serious conditions I deal with, I opened my most recent appointment by saying, "I hope you don't fire me as a customer, but I'm using Retatrutide." After reviewing my labs, my endocrinologist remarked that she had been wondering how I managed it. The improvement is that dramatic!!!

She's a peptide supporter, as a lot of younger doctors tend to be. She also told me Reta will probably get approval either late this year or early next year. Once that happens, she'll be able to write a prescription for it.
 
That's great. 👍 After starting reta, I believe the calcium deposit in my shoulder has disappeared. I'm able to lift my arm fully up toward the ceiling for the first time in 5 years. Another thing I've seen is that opening a jar no longer causes pain in my hands.
 
Back
Top