Reta and retinopathy

BigGuy73

Explorer
Joined
Jul 31, 2025
Messages
6
Reaction score
0
Location
Orlando
I've had diabetes for roughly 15 years. My treatment path started with metformin and Byetta in 2010, then moved to Victoza, Ozempic, Mounjaro, and currently Reta. My A1C has generally stayed below 7 — closer to somewhere between 6.0 and 6.5 — even when I'm not being strict about my diet. No complications have shown up so far.

I've now been using Reta for around 5 months, gradually increasing the dose, and I'm at 2.5 mg on Mondays, Wednesdays, and Fridays — 7.5 mg weekly in total. Some weight has come off, but not dramatically.

Today was my yearly eye appointment, and the doctor told me I have very mild diabetic retinopathy. He emphasized there's no cause for concern, and that if I get my blood sugar under tighter control, it likely won't be visible at my next exam 12 months from now. I mentioned compounded Tirz to him but kept Reta to myself, since it isn't FDA approved yet and I don't want my insurance company to learn about it. He also said there are no indicators that would point toward NAION.

What do you all think? I've come across claims that Reta might make retinopathy worse. Are there any T2 diabetics here dealing with something similar?

Please share your thoughts, everyone. I'd like to continue with Reta, but going blind is not a risk I want to take.
 
Over the past 6-12 months, how stable has your blood sugar been? Are you seeing this provider for the first time at this exam? The longer someone has had diabetes (meaning the total time since onset, regardless of when it was formally diagnosed), the more likely diabetic retinopathy becomes. In many cases, mild findings improve once blood sugar is better controlled or kept steady, though it depends on how much fluctuation there was previously.

What follow-up interval did your doctor give you? There's no obligation to respond to any of this here, but a return window of 5-12 months is generally a reassuring sign. Had anything looked urgent, they would have scheduled you sooner.

As for reta making diabetic retinopathy worse, I haven't come across any literature on that so far, but I'll put it on my list for literature review - thanks for flagging it.
 
BigGuy73 said:

I've had diabetes for roughly 15 years. My treatment path started with metformin and Byetta in 2010, then moved to Victoza, Ozempic, Mounjaro, and currently Reta. My A1C has generally stayed below 7 — closer to somewhere between 6.0 and 6.5 — even when I'm not being strict about my diet. No complications have shown up so far.

I've now been using Reta for around 5 months, gradually increasing the dose, and I'm at 2.5 mg on Mondays, Wednesdays, and Fridays — 7.5 mg weekly in total. Some weight has come off, but not dramatically.

Today was my yearly eye appointment, and the doctor told me I have very mild diabetic retinopathy. He emphasized there's no cause for concern, and that if I get my blood sugar under tighter control, it likely won't be visible at my next exam 12 months from now. I mentioned compounded Tirz to him but kept Reta to myself, since it isn't FDA approved yet and I don't want my insurance company to learn about it. He also said there are no indicators that would point toward NAION.

What do you all think? I've come across claims that Reta might make retinopathy worse. Are there any T2 diabetics here dealing with something similar?

Please share your thoughts, everyone. I'd like to continue with Reta, but going blind is not a risk I want to take.
I don't see any way a glp1 bringing your levels down could make it worse.




064e06bb531a77d4bcbc5b10b63517c5b228de259af7f7f07173ade9c6526ce5.gif
 
CNCCurrency said:

BigGuy73 said:

I've had diabetes for roughly 15 years. My treatment path started with metformin and Byetta in 2010, then moved to Victoza, Ozempic, Mounjaro, and currently Reta. My A1C has generally stayed below 7 — closer to somewhere between 6.0 and 6.5 — even when I'm not being strict about my diet. No complications have shown up so far.

I've now been using Reta for around 5 months, gradually increasing the dose, and I'm at 2.5 mg on Mondays, Wednesdays, and Fridays — 7.5 mg weekly in total. Some weight has come off, but not dramatically.

Today was my yearly eye appointment, and the doctor told me I have very mild diabetic retinopathy. He emphasized there's no cause for concern, and that if I get my blood sugar under tighter control, it likely won't be visible at my next exam 12 months from now. I mentioned compounded Tirz to him but kept Reta to myself, since it isn't FDA approved yet and I don't want my insurance company to learn about it. He also said there are no indicators that would point toward NAION.

What do you all think? I've come across claims that Reta might make retinopathy worse. Are there any T2 diabetics here dealing with something similar?

Please share your thoughts, everyone. I'd like to continue with Reta, but going blind is not a risk I want to take.
I don't see any way a glp1 bringing your levels down could make it worse.




View attachment 10182
100% a recognised phenomenon. It isn't down to GLP1 alone
 

Attachments

  • 064e06bb531a77d4bcbc5b10b63517c5b228de259af7f7f07173ade9c6526ce5.gif
    064e06bb531a77d4bcbc5b10b63517c5b228de259af7f7f07173ade9c6526ce5.gif
    439.5 KB · Views: 5
myopicmystic said:

CNCCurrency said:

BigGuy73 said:

I've had diabetes for roughly 15 years. My treatment path started with metformin and Byetta in 2010, then moved to Victoza, Ozempic, Mounjaro, and currently Reta. My A1C has generally stayed below 7 — closer to somewhere between 6.0 and 6.5 — even when I'm not being strict about my diet. No complications have shown up so far.

I've now been using Reta for around 5 months, gradually increasing the dose, and I'm at 2.5 mg on Mondays, Wednesdays, and Fridays — 7.5 mg weekly in total. Some weight has come off, but not dramatically.

Today was my yearly eye appointment, and the doctor told me I have very mild diabetic retinopathy. He emphasized there's no cause for concern, and that if I get my blood sugar under tighter control, it likely won't be visible at my next exam 12 months from now. I mentioned compounded Tirz to him but kept Reta to myself, since it isn't FDA approved yet and I don't want my insurance company to learn about it. He also said there are no indicators that would point toward NAION.

What do you all think? I've come across claims that Reta might make retinopathy worse. Are there any T2 diabetics here dealing with something similar?

Please share your thoughts, everyone. I'd like to continue with Reta, but going blind is not a risk I want to take.
I don't see any way a glp1 bringing your levels down could make it worse.




View attachment 10182
100% a recognised phenomenon. It isn't down to GLP1 alone
Rooted in debates rather than glp1's? Or am I the confused one?
 
CNCCurrency said:

myopicmystic said:

CNCCurrency said:

BigGuy73 said:

I've had diabetes for roughly 15 years. My treatment path started with metformin and Byetta in 2010, then moved to Victoza, Ozempic, Mounjaro, and currently Reta. My A1C has generally stayed below 7 — closer to somewhere between 6.0 and 6.5 — even when I'm not being strict about my diet. No complications have shown up so far.

I've now been using Reta for around 5 months, gradually increasing the dose, and I'm at 2.5 mg on Mondays, Wednesdays, and Fridays — 7.5 mg weekly in total. Some weight has come off, but not dramatically.

Today was my yearly eye appointment, and the doctor told me I have very mild diabetic retinopathy. He emphasized there's no cause for concern, and that if I get my blood sugar under tighter control, it likely won't be visible at my next exam 12 months from now. I mentioned compounded Tirz to him but kept Reta to myself, since it isn't FDA approved yet and I don't want my insurance company to learn about it. He also said there are no indicators that would point toward NAION.

What do you all think? I've come across claims that Reta might make retinopathy worse. Are there any T2 diabetics here dealing with something similar?

Please share your thoughts, everyone. I'd like to continue with Reta, but going blind is not a risk I want to take.
I don't see any way a glp1 bringing your levels down could make it worse.




View attachment 10182
100% a recognised phenomenon. It isn't down to GLP1 alone
Rooted in debates rather than glp1's? Or am I the confused one?
Long-standing diabetes and chronically elevated blood glucose weaken blood vessels throughout the body, including those in the eyes. If blood sugar averages shift quickly — whether from bariatric surgery, GLP1 medications, or dietary changes — those already weakened vessels become even less stable, which may lead to diabetic retinopathy getting worse. In most cases this is not lasting, and it tends to occur mainly during the first 6-12 months. For that reason, individuals who have moderate to severe retinopathy may want to monitor this closely.
 
myopicmystic said:

CNCCurrency said:

myopicmystic said:

CNCCurrency said:

BigGuy73 said:

I've had diabetes for roughly 15 years. My treatment path started with metformin and Byetta in 2010, then moved to Victoza, Ozempic, Mounjaro, and currently Reta. My A1C has generally stayed below 7 — closer to somewhere between 6.0 and 6.5 — even when I'm not being strict about my diet. No complications have shown up so far.

I've now been using Reta for around 5 months, gradually increasing the dose, and I'm at 2.5 mg on Mondays, Wednesdays, and Fridays — 7.5 mg weekly in total. Some weight has come off, but not dramatically.

Today was my yearly eye appointment, and the doctor told me I have very mild diabetic retinopathy. He emphasized there's no cause for concern, and that if I get my blood sugar under tighter control, it likely won't be visible at my next exam 12 months from now. I mentioned compounded Tirz to him but kept Reta to myself, since it isn't FDA approved yet and I don't want my insurance company to learn about it. He also said there are no indicators that would point toward NAION.

What do you all think? I've come across claims that Reta might make retinopathy worse. Are there any T2 diabetics here dealing with something similar?

Please share your thoughts, everyone. I'd like to continue with Reta, but going blind is not a risk I want to take.
I don't see any way a glp1 bringing your levels down could make it worse.




View attachment 10182
100% a recognised phenomenon. It isn't down to GLP1 alone
Rooted in debates rather than glp1's? Or am I the confused one?
Long-standing diabetes and chronically elevated blood glucose weaken blood vessels throughout the body, including those in the eyes. If blood sugar averages shift quickly — whether from bariatric surgery, GLP1 medications, or dietary changes — those already weakened vessels become even less stable, which may lead to diabetic retinopathy getting worse. In most cases this is not lasting, and it tends to occur mainly during the first 6-12 months. For that reason, individuals who have moderate to severe retinopathy may want to monitor this closely.
I'm still not getting it. So dropping 1 to 1 /2 a week counts as rapid? Based on what I've come across, every dr's opinion is that this is completely fine.
 
CNCCurrency said:

myopicmystic said:

CNCCurrency said:

myopicmystic said:

CNCCurrency said:

BigGuy73 said:

I've had diabetes for roughly 15 years. My treatment path started with metformin and Byetta in 2010, then moved to Victoza, Ozempic, Mounjaro, and currently Reta. My A1C has generally stayed below 7 — closer to somewhere between 6.0 and 6.5 — even when I'm not being strict about my diet. No complications have shown up so far.

I've now been using Reta for around 5 months, gradually increasing the dose, and I'm at 2.5 mg on Mondays, Wednesdays, and Fridays — 7.5 mg weekly in total. Some weight has come off, but not dramatically.

Today was my yearly eye appointment, and the doctor told me I have very mild diabetic retinopathy. He emphasized there's no cause for concern, and that if I get my blood sugar under tighter control, it likely won't be visible at my next exam 12 months from now. I mentioned compounded Tirz to him but kept Reta to myself, since it isn't FDA approved yet and I don't want my insurance company to learn about it. He also said there are no indicators that would point toward NAION.

What do you all think? I've come across claims that Reta might make retinopathy worse. Are there any T2 diabetics here dealing with something similar?

Please share your thoughts, everyone. I'd like to continue with Reta, but going blind is not a risk I want to take.
I don't see any way a glp1 bringing your levels down could make it worse.




View attachment 10182
100% a recognised phenomenon. It isn't down to GLP1 alone
Rooted in debates rather than glp1's? Or am I the confused one?
Long-standing diabetes and chronically elevated blood glucose weaken blood vessels throughout the body, including those in the eyes. If blood sugar averages shift quickly — whether from bariatric surgery, GLP1 medications, or dietary changes — those already weakened vessels become even less stable, which may lead to diabetic retinopathy getting worse. In most cases this is not lasting, and it tends to occur mainly during the first 6-12 months. For that reason, individuals who have moderate to severe retinopathy may want to monitor this closely.
I'm still not getting it. So dropping 1 to 1 /2 a week counts as rapid? Based on what I've come across, every dr's opinion is that this is completely fine.
Nope — what I'm referring to is losing over 2 per week over an extended period, and that point applies only when we're talking about people with diabetes.
 
The same week I began Ozempic, eye floaters appeared. My doctor figured there was nothing to it, so I quit the medication. After that, I visited 3 eye doctors, all of whom told me there was no link to Ozempic. I went back on it, and now the floaters in my eyes have increased. In my view, those eye doctors simply weren't informed enough about Ozempic. Still, diabetes is the root issue here. Whether you have type 1 or type 2 was never mentioned. Type 2 is the more manageable form, so if you happen to be type 2, you're heading in the right direction. Keep in mind that Reta's phase three trials are not yet complete—we are the test subjects.
 
Hey everyone, I’ve had T2 diabetes for 16 years now. I went for an eye exam last week, and the doctor said I’m at a very early stage of retinopathy. He explained that if I keep my blood sugar controlled, it shouldn’t progress, and he asked me to return in a year.
 
BigGuy73 said:

Hey everyone, I’ve had T2 diabetes for 16 years now. I went for an eye exam last week, and the doctor said I’m at a very early stage of retinopathy. He explained that if I keep my blood sugar controlled, it shouldn’t progress, and he asked me to return in a year.
Developing mild or early-stage retinopathy after 15+ years is pretty typical. Without more details about your situation, I doubt reta is the only thing at play. Research hasn't established a direct causal link with GLP1s, though it's possible they contribute somehow.

What patients are usually told is to keep glucose and blood pressure steady and well-controlled, stay on top of scheduled lab work, get regular exercise, eat a balanced diet, and lose weight as you're able. All things you're already aware of, clearly, otherwise you wouldn't be here on this site.
 
Back
Top