Reta and mental health, specifically

kazza94x said:

IAmAMeatPopsicle said:

I want to add my two cents here. November 2025 is when I began Reta, and there have been several side effects worth mentioning. To give some background, I live with CPTSD and have experienced depression that comes and goes.

Strictly speaking, motivation isn't something I lack, but the reward side of dopamine has definitely been dulled. These days, picking up a book, putting on an audiobook, or settling in to watch a show doesn't really hit the spot. My attention wanders; I'll begin and abandon things repeatedly. Something I normally like can take me weeks or even months to get through, whereas my friends finish it in just a few days.
Is there anything at all that "does it" for you, or has it become completely blunted? And if you're on antis as well, they may be a factor here.
Cats. I do art projects, in one form or another. I won't list every enjoyable thing I have to live with, but it definitely makes life... interesting, complicated, or perhaps both? About antis.. no. My physician put me on some, but once I began feeling more 'blunted' than I do now, my therapist told me to quit them.
 
kazza94x said:

Hey everyone,

Lately I’ve been noticing more flatness, tiredness, exhaustion, extreme fatigue, very dry skin, and a bit of emptiness.

I’m working with a therapist and doctor, etc., but these things have been ramping up after reta. Before that I was on sema and had no issues.

Has anyone else gone through something similar?

When did yours begin?

How bad does it get?

What do you do to cope?

Only share if you’re comfortable. No pressure.
I apologize in advance—there’s a lot I want to cover, so this will be quite lengthy.

Anhedonia has been something I’ve dealt with for many years. Over the past year, though, it has intensified, particularly after I began tirz at the start of this year.

Having spent a lifetime coping with this, I’ll share what I recommend:

1. Have your hormones checked. For women who still menstruate, request a complete hormone panel. Peri-menopause may begin in the 30s, or even sooner, when hormone disruption is present—and obesity can cause that disruption. For women past menstruation, inquire about hormone replacement, including testosterone supplementation. For men, obesity similarly affects hormones, and testosterone replacement can be transformative when it is needed.

2. The most important lifestyle shift for lessening anhedonia is savoring. Make an active effort to notice things that do feel good, could feel good, or ought to feel good. Then intentionally take part in those activities and truly, deliberately, soak in/wallow in/engage with them. Say to yourself that you’re having fun, that it’s a good time, that you’re enjoying it. I realize that may sound silly, but by altering your thoughts about a situation, you can persuade your brain to release more positive chemicals.

3. Find out which things cause the release of the feel-good chemicals, then do all of them every day. Dopamine, the reward chemical, calls for reward-seeking behavior: making goals and reaching them, rewarding yourself for “good behavior,” and listening to music (our brain’s anticipation networks consider music HIGHLY rewarding). Oxytocin, the bonding chemical, comes from hugging someone, cuddling, sex, a long kiss, or petting your dog. Serotonin, the contentment chemical, gets released once you are ok. You are good. Nothing bad is happening. So seek out ways to take joy in small things, stay present, let your brain rest (PUT DOWN THE PHONE), and spend some time simply realizing that you are good in this moment. Endorphins, which serve as energy and pain-relief chemicals, come from working out really hard, doing exciting things, and having adventures. Last, GABA serves as the rest-and-relax chemical. Meditate, breathe, do progressive muscle relaxation, yoga.

4. NOTE: For many people, anhedonia appears once anxiety disappears. When you are anxious much of the time, your brain is set up to scan for danger, and having less anxiety can feel like flatness—as though something is wrong. The only way to help that flatness improve is learning to accept the absence of threat.

5. Supplements I’ve found useful—5htp (in the past, when my anhedonia came with fairly severe depression, this was literally a lifesaver for me). Tyrosine (not ideal in my case, but it takes the edge off and lifts mood a little). DLPhenylalanine—this affects my overall mood most strongly and my capacity to engage in positive behaviors.
 
kazza94x said:

sheilarae74 said:

In a way, I see anhedonia as somewhat beneficial: the things that used to irritate me or trigger anxiety no longer bother me at all. My appetite for most of the unhealthy food I once consumed has also disappeared. Still, there are plenty of negative aspects. I have turned into something of a hermit. Activities that I formerly liked no longer bring me pleasure. Over the past few weeks, my motivation appears to have dropped even further. My original goal in losing weight was simply to gain more energy so I could complete tasks. Eating more would likely help me feel at least a bit better, but right now I must struggle just to consume enough to not starve. This has turned into a damaging loop, and I likely ought to look into it further.
That sounds awful. I also stay at home most of the time and keep myself away from other people. I suspect it might take a while for us to rediscover ourselves prior to us having a harmful relationship with food. What's your view?
Honestly, I doubt I've ever had a healthy dynamic with food.
 
Before I ever started reta, my mental state was dreadful. I have depressive dominant bipolar disorder, and I'm a former addict. For me, the anhedonia that reta brought on has ended up being a big step upward. Feeling nothing but "flat" beats enduring nonstop misery.

Reta has been part of my routine for roughly four months. My weekly dose has never gone above ~5mg. I realize that at larger doses, anhedonia may become far worse.

Still, I have a huge amount of behind-the-scenes work in place. If my supplement regimen weren't finely tuned, I can't picture using reta by itself.

My stack includes benofitamine, calcium pantothenate, P5P, riboflavin taken twice, a sublingual B12 complex plus methylfolate.

Those are only separate pieces of a B-complex—just the beginning.

Beyond that, I use many trace minerals when needed (boron and copper are fantastic if you've never had them properly balanced), zinc, and a huge amount of magnesium. I also add potassium and sodium to water when needed. D3/K2 too.

I also use glycine and taurine, along with TMG, phosphatidylcholine, fish oil, and lately lithium orotate. Lithium orotate has helped tremendously with obsessive and axious feelings, though interactions involving the methylation system along with folate/B12 uptake are complicated.

There are many more supplements I want to add but currently cannot pay for... CoQ10 and L-Carnitine are the two big ones I'm eager for.

On top of all that, I have to keep macros and diet in balance. Even when macros are correct, I can feel awful if sleep or exercise is off, or if I've gone a month without eating an honest vegetable.

The balancing act is extensive. Often I'll run out of a key vitamin and lack the money to buy more in time, or I'll overdo one thing and everything collapses—I feel terrible for a week, then have to pull back and rethink.

Some folks believe supplements are unnecessary and that diet alone supplies everything. To me, that's a terrible joke. Without my basic knowledge of supplemental nutrition, taking reta would be unimaginable.

At minimum: use a B complex, use a trace mineral complex, take magnesium glycinate on its own, and find an electrolyte mix with an effective potassium dose so your electrolytes are covered. If you won't even do that, God alone can help you.
 
tryingzen said:

kazza94x said:

Hey everyone,

Lately I’ve been noticing more flatness, tiredness, exhaustion, extreme fatigue, very dry skin, and a bit of emptiness.

I’m working with a therapist and doctor, etc., but these things have been ramping up after reta. Before that I was on sema and had no issues.

Has anyone else gone through something similar?

When did yours begin?

How bad does it get?

What do you do to cope?

Only share if you’re comfortable. No pressure.
I apologize in advance—there’s a lot I want to cover, so this will be quite lengthy.

Anhedonia has been something I’ve dealt with for many years. Over the past year, though, it has intensified, particularly after I began tirz at the start of this year.

Having spent a lifetime coping with this, I’ll share what I recommend:

1. Have your hormones checked. For women who still menstruate, request a complete hormone panel. Peri-menopause may begin in the 30s, or even sooner, when hormone disruption is present—and obesity can cause that disruption. For women past menstruation, inquire about hormone replacement, including testosterone supplementation. For men, obesity similarly affects hormones, and testosterone replacement can be transformative when it is needed.

2. The most important lifestyle shift for lessening anhedonia is savoring. Make an active effort to notice things that do feel good, could feel good, or ought to feel good. Then intentionally take part in those activities and truly, deliberately, soak in/wallow in/engage with them. Say to yourself that you’re having fun, that it’s a good time, that you’re enjoying it. I realize that may sound silly, but by altering your thoughts about a situation, you can persuade your brain to release more positive chemicals.

3. Find out which things cause the release of the feel-good chemicals, then do all of them every day. Dopamine, the reward chemical, calls for reward-seeking behavior: making goals and reaching them, rewarding yourself for “good behavior,” and listening to music (our brain’s anticipation networks consider music HIGHLY rewarding). Oxytocin, the bonding chemical, comes from hugging someone, cuddling, sex, a long kiss, or petting your dog. Serotonin, the contentment chemical, gets released once you are ok. You are good. Nothing bad is happening. So seek out ways to take joy in small things, stay present, let your brain rest (PUT DOWN THE PHONE), and spend some time simply realizing that you are good in this moment. Endorphins, which serve as energy and pain-relief chemicals, come from working out really hard, doing exciting things, and having adventures. Last, GABA serves as the rest-and-relax chemical. Meditate, breathe, do progressive muscle relaxation, yoga.

4. NOTE: For many people, anhedonia appears once anxiety disappears. When you are anxious much of the time, your brain is set up to scan for danger, and having less anxiety can feel like flatness—as though something is wrong. The only way to help that flatness improve is learning to accept the absence of threat.

5. Supplements I’ve found useful—5htp (in the past, when my anhedonia came with fairly severe depression, this was literally a lifesaver for me). Tyrosine (not ideal in my case, but it takes the edge off and lifts mood a little). DLPhenylalanine—this affects my overall mood most strongly and my capacity to engage in positive behaviors.
From the male side, I’d add this: a calorie deficit—especially when your diet doesn’t have enough healthy fats—does a number on your hormones, just as obesity does. Obesity itself disrupts hormones and pushes you toward estrogen dominance. Whenever weekly loss goes past 2+lbs, testosterone likely sits in a hypogonadal range. After you reach a healthy weight, your test will probably recover and end up higher than it was before GLP. Until then (check my other post), if you’d rather not dive all the way into learning the details and having bloodwork done, supplements such as boron, zinc, selenium, copper, healthy fats, and L-Carnitine may help support your test.

For women in menopause—and men too—you can obtain your own labs and self-administer HRT. /r/trt_females is a good spot to browse and see what other women are doing. Stay away from the pellet.

tryingzen said:

kazza94x said:

Hey everyone,

Lately I’ve been noticing more flatness, tiredness, exhaustion, extreme fatigue, very dry skin, and a bit of emptiness.

I’m working with a therapist and doctor, etc., but these things have been ramping up after reta. Before that I was on sema and had no issues.

Has anyone else gone through something similar?

When did yours begin?

How bad does it get?

What do you do to cope?

Only share if you’re comfortable. No pressure.
I apologize in advance—there’s a lot I want to cover, so this will be quite lengthy.

Anhedonia has been something I’ve dealt with for many years. Over the past year, though, it has intensified, particularly after I began tirz at the start of this year.

Having spent a lifetime coping with this, I’ll share what I recommend:

1. Have your hormones checked. For women who still menstruate, request a complete hormone panel. Peri-menopause may begin in the 30s, or even sooner, when hormone disruption is present—and obesity can cause that disruption. For women past menstruation, inquire about hormone replacement, including testosterone supplementation. For men, obesity similarly affects hormones, and testosterone replacement can be transformative when it is needed.

2. The most important lifestyle shift for lessening anhedonia is savoring. Make an active effort to notice things that do feel good, could feel good, or ought to feel good. Then intentionally take part in those activities and truly, deliberately, soak in/wallow in/engage with them. Say to yourself that you’re having fun, that it’s a good time, that you’re enjoying it. I realize that may sound silly, but by altering your thoughts about a situation, you can persuade your brain to release more positive chemicals.

3. Find out which things cause the release of the feel-good chemicals, then do all of them every day. Dopamine, the reward chemical, calls for reward-seeking behavior: making goals and reaching them, rewarding yourself for “good behavior,” and listening to music (our brain’s anticipation networks consider music HIGHLY rewarding). Oxytocin, the bonding chemical, comes from hugging someone, cuddling, sex, a long kiss, or petting your dog. Serotonin, the contentment chemical, gets released once you are ok. You are good. Nothing bad is happening. So seek out ways to take joy in small things, stay present, let your brain rest (PUT DOWN THE PHONE), and spend some time simply realizing that you are good in this moment. Endorphins, which serve as energy and pain-relief chemicals, come from working out really hard, doing exciting things, and having adventures. Last, GABA serves as the rest-and-relax chemical. Meditate, breathe, do progressive muscle relaxation, yoga.

4. NOTE: For many people, anhedonia appears once anxiety disappears. When you are anxious much of the time, your brain is set up to scan for danger, and having less anxiety can feel like flatness—as though something is wrong. The only way to help that flatness improve is learning to accept the absence of threat.

5. Supplements I’ve found useful—5htp (in the past, when my anhedonia came with fairly severe depression, this was literally a lifesaver for me). Tyrosine (not ideal in my case, but it takes the edge off and lifts mood a little). DLPhenylalanine—this affects my overall mood most strongly and my capacity to engage in positive behaviors.
Good information all around, and I’m happy you mentioned GABA. I began taking pregnenolone (nutricost 10mg) and it helped my anxiety a lot. Paired with lithium orotate, some days I nearly feel normal.

In men, pregnenolone works somewhat like progesterone supplementation does for women; it serves as the hormonal precursor to gabaergic neurosteroids.

tryingzen said:

kazza94x said:

Hey everyone,

Lately I’ve been noticing more flatness, tiredness, exhaustion, extreme fatigue, very dry skin, and a bit of emptiness.

I’m working with a therapist and doctor, etc., but these things have been ramping up after reta. Before that I was on sema and had no issues.

Has anyone else gone through something similar?

When did yours begin?

How bad does it get?

What do you do to cope?

Only share if you’re comfortable. No pressure.
I apologize in advance—there’s a lot I want to cover, so this will be quite lengthy.

Anhedonia has been something I’ve dealt with for many years. Over the past year, though, it has intensified, particularly after I began tirz at the start of this year.

Having spent a lifetime coping with this, I’ll share what I recommend:

1. Have your hormones checked. For women who still menstruate, request a complete hormone panel. Peri-menopause may begin in the 30s, or even sooner, when hormone disruption is present—and obesity can cause that disruption. For women past menstruation, inquire about hormone replacement, including testosterone supplementation. For men, obesity similarly affects hormones, and testosterone replacement can be transformative when it is needed.

2. The most important lifestyle shift for lessening anhedonia is savoring. Make an active effort to notice things that do feel good, could feel good, or ought to feel good. Then intentionally take part in those activities and truly, deliberately, soak in/wallow in/engage with them. Say to yourself that you’re having fun, that it’s a good time, that you’re enjoying it. I realize that may sound silly, but by altering your thoughts about a situation, you can persuade your brain to release more positive chemicals.

3. Find out which things cause the release of the feel-good chemicals, then do all of them every day. Dopamine, the reward chemical, calls for reward-seeking behavior: making goals and reaching them, rewarding yourself for “good behavior,” and listening to music (our brain’s anticipation networks consider music HIGHLY rewarding). Oxytocin, the bonding chemical, comes from hugging someone, cuddling, sex, a long kiss, or petting your dog. Serotonin, the contentment chemical, gets released once you are ok. You are good. Nothing bad is happening. So seek out ways to take joy in small things, stay present, let your brain rest (PUT DOWN THE PHONE), and spend some time simply realizing that you are good in this moment. Endorphins, which serve as energy and pain-relief chemicals, come from working out really hard, doing exciting things, and having adventures. Last, GABA serves as the rest-and-relax chemical. Meditate, breathe, do progressive muscle relaxation, yoga.

4. NOTE: For many people, anhedonia appears once anxiety disappears. When you are anxious much of the time, your brain is set up to scan for danger, and having less anxiety can feel like flatness—as though something is wrong. The only way to help that flatness improve is learning to accept the absence of threat.

5. Supplements I’ve found useful—5htp (in the past, when my anhedonia came with fairly severe depression, this was literally a lifesaver for me). Tyrosine (not ideal in my case, but it takes the edge off and lifts mood a little). DLPhenylalanine—this affects my overall mood most strongly and my capacity to engage in positive behaviors.
Exactly! Even more so when someone has no job and no hobbies.

tryingzen said:

kazza94x said:

Hey everyone,

Lately I’ve been noticing more flatness, tiredness, exhaustion, extreme fatigue, very dry skin, and a bit of emptiness.

I’m working with a therapist and doctor, etc., but these things have been ramping up after reta. Before that I was on sema and had no issues.

Has anyone else gone through something similar?

When did yours begin?

How bad does it get?

What do you do to cope?

Only share if you’re comfortable. No pressure.
I apologize in advance—there’s a lot I want to cover, so this will be quite lengthy.

Anhedonia has been something I’ve dealt with for many years. Over the past year, though, it has intensified, particularly after I began tirz at the start of this year.

Having spent a lifetime coping with this, I’ll share what I recommend:

1. Have your hormones checked. For women who still menstruate, request a complete hormone panel. Peri-menopause may begin in the 30s, or even sooner, when hormone disruption is present—and obesity can cause that disruption. For women past menstruation, inquire about hormone replacement, including testosterone supplementation. For men, obesity similarly affects hormones, and testosterone replacement can be transformative when it is needed.

2. The most important lifestyle shift for lessening anhedonia is savoring. Make an active effort to notice things that do feel good, could feel good, or ought to feel good. Then intentionally take part in those activities and truly, deliberately, soak in/wallow in/engage with them. Say to yourself that you’re having fun, that it’s a good time, that you’re enjoying it. I realize that may sound silly, but by altering your thoughts about a situation, you can persuade your brain to release more positive chemicals.

3. Find out which things cause the release of the feel-good chemicals, then do all of them every day. Dopamine, the reward chemical, calls for reward-seeking behavior: making goals and reaching them, rewarding yourself for “good behavior,” and listening to music (our brain’s anticipation networks consider music HIGHLY rewarding). Oxytocin, the bonding chemical, comes from hugging someone, cuddling, sex, a long kiss, or petting your dog. Serotonin, the contentment chemical, gets released once you are ok. You are good. Nothing bad is happening. So seek out ways to take joy in small things, stay present, let your brain rest (PUT DOWN THE PHONE), and spend some time simply realizing that you are good in this moment. Endorphins, which serve as energy and pain-relief chemicals, come from working out really hard, doing exciting things, and having adventures. Last, GABA serves as the rest-and-relax chemical. Meditate, breathe, do progressive muscle relaxation, yoga.

4. NOTE: For many people, anhedonia appears once anxiety disappears. When you are anxious much of the time, your brain is set up to scan for danger, and having less anxiety can feel like flatness—as though something is wrong. The only way to help that flatness improve is learning to accept the absence of threat.

5. Supplements I’ve found useful—5htp (in the past, when my anhedonia came with fairly severe depression, this was literally a lifesaver for me). Tyrosine (not ideal in my case, but it takes the edge off and lifts mood a little). DLPhenylalanine—this affects my overall mood most strongly and my capacity to engage in positive behaviors.
I need to warn people off 5HTP. A huge number of people run into trouble with it, and it isn’t a safe serotonin booster. L-Tryptophan is far safer.

sheilarae74 said:

kazza94x said:

sheilarae74 said:

In a way, I see anhedonia as somewhat beneficial: the things that used to irritate me or trigger anxiety no longer bother me at all. My appetite for most of the unhealthy food I once consumed has also disappeared. Still, there are plenty of negative aspects. I have turned into something of a hermit. Activities that I formerly liked no longer bring me pleasure. Over the past few weeks, my motivation appears to have dropped even further. My original goal in losing weight was simply to gain more energy so I could complete tasks. Eating more would likely help me feel at least a bit better, but right now I must struggle just to consume enough to not starve. This has turned into a damaging loop, and I likely ought to look into it further.
That sounds awful. I also stay at home most of the time and keep myself away from other people. I suspect it might take a while for us to rediscover ourselves prior to us having a harmful relationship with food. What's your view?
Honestly, I doubt I've ever had a healthy dynamic with food.
Yeah, you’re telling me. Food was my gateway drug. I’ve been demolishing large pizzas since I was a 200lb 12 year old.
 
birdwhacker said:

tryingzen said:

kazza94x said:

Hey everyone,

Lately I’ve been noticing more flatness, tiredness, exhaustion, extreme fatigue, very dry skin, and a bit of emptiness.

I’m working with a therapist and doctor, etc., but these things have been ramping up after reta. Before that I was on sema and had no issues.

Has anyone else gone through something similar?

When did yours begin?

How bad does it get?

What do you do to cope?

Only share if you’re comfortable. No pressure.
I apologize in advance—there’s a lot I want to cover, so this will be quite lengthy.

Anhedonia has been something I’ve dealt with for many years. Over the past year, though, it has intensified, particularly after I began tirz at the start of this year.

Having spent a lifetime coping with this, I’ll share what I recommend:

1. Have your hormones checked. For women who still menstruate, request a complete hormone panel. Peri-menopause may begin in the 30s, or even sooner, when hormone disruption is present—and obesity can cause that disruption. For women past menstruation, inquire about hormone replacement, including testosterone supplementation. For men, obesity similarly affects hormones, and testosterone replacement can be transformative when it is needed.

2. The most important lifestyle shift for lessening anhedonia is savoring. Make an active effort to notice things that do feel good, could feel good, or ought to feel good. Then intentionally take part in those activities and truly, deliberately, soak in/wallow in/engage with them. Say to yourself that you’re having fun, that it’s a good time, that you’re enjoying it. I realize that may sound silly, but by altering your thoughts about a situation, you can persuade your brain to release more positive chemicals.

3. Find out which things cause the release of the feel-good chemicals, then do all of them every day. Dopamine, the reward chemical, calls for reward-seeking behavior: making goals and reaching them, rewarding yourself for “good behavior,” and listening to music (our brain’s anticipation networks consider music HIGHLY rewarding). Oxytocin, the bonding chemical, comes from hugging someone, cuddling, sex, a long kiss, or petting your dog. Serotonin, the contentment chemical, gets released once you are ok. You are good. Nothing bad is happening. So seek out ways to take joy in small things, stay present, let your brain rest (PUT DOWN THE PHONE), and spend some time simply realizing that you are good in this moment. Endorphins, which serve as energy and pain-relief chemicals, come from working out really hard, doing exciting things, and having adventures. Last, GABA serves as the rest-and-relax chemical. Meditate, breathe, do progressive muscle relaxation, yoga.

4. NOTE: For many people, anhedonia appears once anxiety disappears. When you are anxious much of the time, your brain is set up to scan for danger, and having less anxiety can feel like flatness—as though something is wrong. The only way to help that flatness improve is learning to accept the absence of threat.

5. Supplements I’ve found useful—5htp (in the past, when my anhedonia came with fairly severe depression, this was literally a lifesaver for me). Tyrosine (not ideal in my case, but it takes the edge off and lifts mood a little). DLPhenylalanine—this affects my overall mood most strongly and my capacity to engage in positive behaviors.
From the male side, I’d add this: a calorie deficit—especially when your diet doesn’t have enough healthy fats—does a number on your hormones, just as obesity does. Obesity itself disrupts hormones and pushes you toward estrogen dominance. Whenever weekly loss goes past 2+lbs, testosterone likely sits in a hypogonadal range. After you reach a healthy weight, your test will probably recover and end up higher than it was before GLP. Until then (check my other post), if you’d rather not dive all the way into learning the details and having bloodwork done, supplements such as boron, zinc, selenium, copper, healthy fats, and L-Carnitine may help support your test.

For women in menopause—and men too—you can obtain your own labs and self-administer HRT. /r/trt_females is a good spot to browse and see what other women are doing. Stay away from the pellet.

tryingzen said:

kazza94x said:

Hey everyone,

Lately I’ve been noticing more flatness, tiredness, exhaustion, extreme fatigue, very dry skin, and a bit of emptiness.

I’m working with a therapist and doctor, etc., but these things have been ramping up after reta. Before that I was on sema and had no issues.

Has anyone else gone through something similar?

When did yours begin?

How bad does it get?

What do you do to cope?

Only share if you’re comfortable. No pressure.
I apologize in advance—there’s a lot I want to cover, so this will be quite lengthy.

Anhedonia has been something I’ve dealt with for many years. Over the past year, though, it has intensified, particularly after I began tirz at the start of this year.

Having spent a lifetime coping with this, I’ll share what I recommend:

1. Have your hormones checked. For women who still menstruate, request a complete hormone panel. Peri-menopause may begin in the 30s, or even sooner, when hormone disruption is present—and obesity can cause that disruption. For women past menstruation, inquire about hormone replacement, including testosterone supplementation. For men, obesity similarly affects hormones, and testosterone replacement can be transformative when it is needed.

2. The most important lifestyle shift for lessening anhedonia is savoring. Make an active effort to notice things that do feel good, could feel good, or ought to feel good. Then intentionally take part in those activities and truly, deliberately, soak in/wallow in/engage with them. Say to yourself that you’re having fun, that it’s a good time, that you’re enjoying it. I realize that may sound silly, but by altering your thoughts about a situation, you can persuade your brain to release more positive chemicals.

3. Find out which things cause the release of the feel-good chemicals, then do all of them every day. Dopamine, the reward chemical, calls for reward-seeking behavior: making goals and reaching them, rewarding yourself for “good behavior,” and listening to music (our brain’s anticipation networks consider music HIGHLY rewarding). Oxytocin, the bonding chemical, comes from hugging someone, cuddling, sex, a long kiss, or petting your dog. Serotonin, the contentment chemical, gets released once you are ok. You are good. Nothing bad is happening. So seek out ways to take joy in small things, stay present, let your brain rest (PUT DOWN THE PHONE), and spend some time simply realizing that you are good in this moment. Endorphins, which serve as energy and pain-relief chemicals, come from working out really hard, doing exciting things, and having adventures. Last, GABA serves as the rest-and-relax chemical. Meditate, breathe, do progressive muscle relaxation, yoga.

4. NOTE: For many people, anhedonia appears once anxiety disappears. When you are anxious much of the time, your brain is set up to scan for danger, and having less anxiety can feel like flatness—as though something is wrong. The only way to help that flatness improve is learning to accept the absence of threat.

5. Supplements I’ve found useful—5htp (in the past, when my anhedonia came with fairly severe depression, this was literally a lifesaver for me). Tyrosine (not ideal in my case, but it takes the edge off and lifts mood a little). DLPhenylalanine—this affects my overall mood most strongly and my capacity to engage in positive behaviors.
Good information all around, and I’m happy you mentioned GABA. I began taking pregnenolone (nutricost 10mg) and it helped my anxiety a lot. Paired with lithium orotate, some days I nearly feel normal.

In men, pregnenolone works somewhat like progesterone supplementation does for women; it serves as the hormonal precursor to gabaergic neurosteroids.

tryingzen said:

kazza94x said:

Hey everyone,

Lately I’ve been noticing more flatness, tiredness, exhaustion, extreme fatigue, very dry skin, and a bit of emptiness.

I’m working with a therapist and doctor, etc., but these things have been ramping up after reta. Before that I was on sema and had no issues.

Has anyone else gone through something similar?

When did yours begin?

How bad does it get?

What do you do to cope?

Only share if you’re comfortable. No pressure.
I apologize in advance—there’s a lot I want to cover, so this will be quite lengthy.

Anhedonia has been something I’ve dealt with for many years. Over the past year, though, it has intensified, particularly after I began tirz at the start of this year.

Having spent a lifetime coping with this, I’ll share what I recommend:

1. Have your hormones checked. For women who still menstruate, request a complete hormone panel. Peri-menopause may begin in the 30s, or even sooner, when hormone disruption is present—and obesity can cause that disruption. For women past menstruation, inquire about hormone replacement, including testosterone supplementation. For men, obesity similarly affects hormones, and testosterone replacement can be transformative when it is needed.

2. The most important lifestyle shift for lessening anhedonia is savoring. Make an active effort to notice things that do feel good, could feel good, or ought to feel good. Then intentionally take part in those activities and truly, deliberately, soak in/wallow in/engage with them. Say to yourself that you’re having fun, that it’s a good time, that you’re enjoying it. I realize that may sound silly, but by altering your thoughts about a situation, you can persuade your brain to release more positive chemicals.

3. Find out which things cause the release of the feel-good chemicals, then do all of them every day. Dopamine, the reward chemical, calls for reward-seeking behavior: making goals and reaching them, rewarding yourself for “good behavior,” and listening to music (our brain’s anticipation networks consider music HIGHLY rewarding). Oxytocin, the bonding chemical, comes from hugging someone, cuddling, sex, a long kiss, or petting your dog. Serotonin, the contentment chemical, gets released once you are ok. You are good. Nothing bad is happening. So seek out ways to take joy in small things, stay present, let your brain rest (PUT DOWN THE PHONE), and spend some time simply realizing that you are good in this moment. Endorphins, which serve as energy and pain-relief chemicals, come from working out really hard, doing exciting things, and having adventures. Last, GABA serves as the rest-and-relax chemical. Meditate, breathe, do progressive muscle relaxation, yoga.

4. NOTE: For many people, anhedonia appears once anxiety disappears. When you are anxious much of the time, your brain is set up to scan for danger, and having less anxiety can feel like flatness—as though something is wrong. The only way to help that flatness improve is learning to accept the absence of threat.

5. Supplements I’ve found useful—5htp (in the past, when my anhedonia came with fairly severe depression, this was literally a lifesaver for me). Tyrosine (not ideal in my case, but it takes the edge off and lifts mood a little). DLPhenylalanine—this affects my overall mood most strongly and my capacity to engage in positive behaviors.
Exactly! Even more so when someone has no job and no hobbies.

tryingzen said:

kazza94x said:

Hey everyone,

Lately I’ve been noticing more flatness, tiredness, exhaustion, extreme fatigue, very dry skin, and a bit of emptiness.

I’m working with a therapist and doctor, etc., but these things have been ramping up after reta. Before that I was on sema and had no issues.

Has anyone else gone through something similar?

When did yours begin?

How bad does it get?

What do you do to cope?

Only share if you’re comfortable. No pressure.
I apologize in advance—there’s a lot I want to cover, so this will be quite lengthy.

Anhedonia has been something I’ve dealt with for many years. Over the past year, though, it has intensified, particularly after I began tirz at the start of this year.

Having spent a lifetime coping with this, I’ll share what I recommend:

1. Have your hormones checked. For women who still menstruate, request a complete hormone panel. Peri-menopause may begin in the 30s, or even sooner, when hormone disruption is present—and obesity can cause that disruption. For women past menstruation, inquire about hormone replacement, including testosterone supplementation. For men, obesity similarly affects hormones, and testosterone replacement can be transformative when it is needed.

2. The most important lifestyle shift for lessening anhedonia is savoring. Make an active effort to notice things that do feel good, could feel good, or ought to feel good. Then intentionally take part in those activities and truly, deliberately, soak in/wallow in/engage with them. Say to yourself that you’re having fun, that it’s a good time, that you’re enjoying it. I realize that may sound silly, but by altering your thoughts about a situation, you can persuade your brain to release more positive chemicals.

3. Find out which things cause the release of the feel-good chemicals, then do all of them every day. Dopamine, the reward chemical, calls for reward-seeking behavior: making goals and reaching them, rewarding yourself for “good behavior,” and listening to music (our brain’s anticipation networks consider music HIGHLY rewarding). Oxytocin, the bonding chemical, comes from hugging someone, cuddling, sex, a long kiss, or petting your dog. Serotonin, the contentment chemical, gets released once you are ok. You are good. Nothing bad is happening. So seek out ways to take joy in small things, stay present, let your brain rest (PUT DOWN THE PHONE), and spend some time simply realizing that you are good in this moment. Endorphins, which serve as energy and pain-relief chemicals, come from working out really hard, doing exciting things, and having adventures. Last, GABA serves as the rest-and-relax chemical. Meditate, breathe, do progressive muscle relaxation, yoga.

4. NOTE: For many people, anhedonia appears once anxiety disappears. When you are anxious much of the time, your brain is set up to scan for danger, and having less anxiety can feel like flatness—as though something is wrong. The only way to help that flatness improve is learning to accept the absence of threat.

5. Supplements I’ve found useful—5htp (in the past, when my anhedonia came with fairly severe depression, this was literally a lifesaver for me). Tyrosine (not ideal in my case, but it takes the edge off and lifts mood a little). DLPhenylalanine—this affects my overall mood most strongly and my capacity to engage in positive behaviors.
I need to warn people off 5HTP. A huge number of people run into trouble with it, and it isn’t a safe serotonin booster. L-Tryptophan is far safer.

sheilarae74 said:

kazza94x said:

sheilarae74 said:

In a way, I see anhedonia as somewhat beneficial: the things that used to irritate me or trigger anxiety no longer bother me at all. My appetite for most of the unhealthy food I once consumed has also disappeared. Still, there are plenty of negative aspects. I have turned into something of a hermit. Activities that I formerly liked no longer bring me pleasure. Over the past few weeks, my motivation appears to have dropped even further. My original goal in losing weight was simply to gain more energy so I could complete tasks. Eating more would likely help me feel at least a bit better, but right now I must struggle just to consume enough to not starve. This has turned into a damaging loop, and I likely ought to look into it further.
That sounds awful. I also stay at home most of the time and keep myself away from other people. I suspect it might take a while for us to rediscover ourselves prior to us having a harmful relationship with food. What's your view?
Honestly, I doubt I've ever had a healthy dynamic with food.
Yeah, you’re telling me. Food was my gateway drug. I’ve been demolishing large pizzas since I was a 200lb 12 year old.
Reading this, along with several other replies, feels like someone wrote out my own biography, haha.

Food came first as an addiction; drugs came second. Eventually, I dropped all the weight and, for the first time ever, I looked great, yet I threw myself hard into drugs for years and ended up truly unable to function. A very serious mental-health breakdown followed, and family, doctors, and medication helped me at last leave those years of drug addiction behind. Even so, I returned IMMEDIATELY to the thing that had always been my poison—the love I’d had longest, and the comfort I’d known since I was a boy: food. I ballooned..

These days, though, Reta has helped me shed 9 kilos across 4.5 weeks 💪. The adhedonia has actually become somewhat of a relief; I have bad ADHD, and I believe 100% that Reta has given my mind some calm, while my ability to concentrate is clearly higher. Experiencing positivity is unfamiliar. 🫡
 
tryingzen said:

kazza94x said:

Hey everyone,

Lately I’ve been noticing more flatness, tiredness, exhaustion, extreme fatigue, very dry skin, and a bit of emptiness.

I’m working with a therapist and doctor, etc., but these things have been ramping up after reta. Before that I was on sema and had no issues.

Has anyone else gone through something similar?

When did yours begin?

How bad does it get?

What do you do to cope?

Only share if you’re comfortable. No pressure.
I apologize in advance—there’s a lot I want to cover, so this will be quite lengthy.

Anhedonia has been something I’ve dealt with for many years. Over the past year, though, it has intensified, particularly after I began tirz at the start of this year.

Having spent a lifetime coping with this, I’ll share what I recommend:

1. Have your hormones checked. For women who still menstruate, request a complete hormone panel. Peri-menopause may begin in the 30s, or even sooner, when hormone disruption is present—and obesity can cause that disruption. For women past menstruation, inquire about hormone replacement, including testosterone supplementation. For men, obesity similarly affects hormones, and testosterone replacement can be transformative when it is needed.

2. The most important lifestyle shift for lessening anhedonia is savoring. Make an active effort to notice things that do feel good, could feel good, or ought to feel good. Then intentionally take part in those activities and truly, deliberately, soak in/wallow in/engage with them. Say to yourself that you’re having fun, that it’s a good time, that you’re enjoying it. I realize that may sound silly, but by altering your thoughts about a situation, you can persuade your brain to release more positive chemicals.

3. Find out which things cause the release of the feel-good chemicals, then do all of them every day. Dopamine, the reward chemical, calls for reward-seeking behavior: making goals and reaching them, rewarding yourself for “good behavior,” and listening to music (our brain’s anticipation networks consider music HIGHLY rewarding). Oxytocin, the bonding chemical, comes from hugging someone, cuddling, sex, a long kiss, or petting your dog. Serotonin, the contentment chemical, gets released once you are ok. You are good. Nothing bad is happening. So seek out ways to take joy in small things, stay present, let your brain rest (PUT DOWN THE PHONE), and spend some time simply realizing that you are good in this moment. Endorphins, which serve as energy and pain-relief chemicals, come from working out really hard, doing exciting things, and having adventures. Last, GABA serves as the rest-and-relax chemical. Meditate, breathe, do progressive muscle relaxation, yoga.

4. NOTE: For many people, anhedonia appears once anxiety disappears. When you are anxious much of the time, your brain is set up to scan for danger, and having less anxiety can feel like flatness—as though something is wrong. The only way to help that flatness improve is learning to accept the absence of threat.

5. Supplements I’ve found useful—5htp (in the past, when my anhedonia came with fairly severe depression, this was literally a lifesaver for me). Tyrosine (not ideal in my case, but it takes the edge off and lifts mood a little). DLPhenylalanine—this affects my overall mood most strongly and my capacity to engage in positive behaviors.
Can a normal doctor handle hormone labs, or do I have to see a gynecologist? I have to schedule a well check. I'm post-menopausal and think a boost might do me good. Your post was really useful. When a woman requires testosterone, are the products the same as what people obtain through forums, or does a woman get something different? I know that sounds silly, and it's probably the same, but I don't want chest hair!! hahaha
 
Thighknee said:

birdwhacker said:

tryingzen said:

kazza94x said:

Hey everyone,

Lately I’ve been noticing more flatness, tiredness, exhaustion, extreme fatigue, very dry skin, and a bit of emptiness.

I’m working with a therapist and doctor, etc., but these things have been ramping up after reta. Before that I was on sema and had no issues.

Has anyone else gone through something similar?

When did yours begin?

How bad does it get?

What do you do to cope?

Only share if you’re comfortable. No pressure.
I apologize in advance—there’s a lot I want to cover, so this will be quite lengthy.

Anhedonia has been something I’ve dealt with for many years. Over the past year, though, it has intensified, particularly after I began tirz at the start of this year.

Having spent a lifetime coping with this, I’ll share what I recommend:

1. Have your hormones checked. For women who still menstruate, request a complete hormone panel. Peri-menopause may begin in the 30s, or even sooner, when hormone disruption is present—and obesity can cause that disruption. For women past menstruation, inquire about hormone replacement, including testosterone supplementation. For men, obesity similarly affects hormones, and testosterone replacement can be transformative when it is needed.

2. The most important lifestyle shift for lessening anhedonia is savoring. Make an active effort to notice things that do feel good, could feel good, or ought to feel good. Then intentionally take part in those activities and truly, deliberately, soak in/wallow in/engage with them. Say to yourself that you’re having fun, that it’s a good time, that you’re enjoying it. I realize that may sound silly, but by altering your thoughts about a situation, you can persuade your brain to release more positive chemicals.

3. Find out which things cause the release of the feel-good chemicals, then do all of them every day. Dopamine, the reward chemical, calls for reward-seeking behavior: making goals and reaching them, rewarding yourself for “good behavior,” and listening to music (our brain’s anticipation networks consider music HIGHLY rewarding). Oxytocin, the bonding chemical, comes from hugging someone, cuddling, sex, a long kiss, or petting your dog. Serotonin, the contentment chemical, gets released once you are ok. You are good. Nothing bad is happening. So seek out ways to take joy in small things, stay present, let your brain rest (PUT DOWN THE PHONE), and spend some time simply realizing that you are good in this moment. Endorphins, which serve as energy and pain-relief chemicals, come from working out really hard, doing exciting things, and having adventures. Last, GABA serves as the rest-and-relax chemical. Meditate, breathe, do progressive muscle relaxation, yoga.

4. NOTE: For many people, anhedonia appears once anxiety disappears. When you are anxious much of the time, your brain is set up to scan for danger, and having less anxiety can feel like flatness—as though something is wrong. The only way to help that flatness improve is learning to accept the absence of threat.

5. Supplements I’ve found useful—5htp (in the past, when my anhedonia came with fairly severe depression, this was literally a lifesaver for me). Tyrosine (not ideal in my case, but it takes the edge off and lifts mood a little). DLPhenylalanine—this affects my overall mood most strongly and my capacity to engage in positive behaviors.
From the male side, I’d add this: a calorie deficit—especially when your diet doesn’t have enough healthy fats—does a number on your hormones, just as obesity does. Obesity itself disrupts hormones and pushes you toward estrogen dominance. Whenever weekly loss goes past 2+lbs, testosterone likely sits in a hypogonadal range. After you reach a healthy weight, your test will probably recover and end up higher than it was before GLP. Until then (check my other post), if you’d rather not dive all the way into learning the details and having bloodwork done, supplements such as boron, zinc, selenium, copper, healthy fats, and L-Carnitine may help support your test.

For women in menopause—and men too—you can obtain your own labs and self-administer HRT. /r/trt_females is a good spot to browse and see what other women are doing. Stay away from the pellet.

tryingzen said:

kazza94x said:

Hey everyone,

Lately I’ve been noticing more flatness, tiredness, exhaustion, extreme fatigue, very dry skin, and a bit of emptiness.

I’m working with a therapist and doctor, etc., but these things have been ramping up after reta. Before that I was on sema and had no issues.

Has anyone else gone through something similar?

When did yours begin?

How bad does it get?

What do you do to cope?

Only share if you’re comfortable. No pressure.
I apologize in advance—there’s a lot I want to cover, so this will be quite lengthy.

Anhedonia has been something I’ve dealt with for many years. Over the past year, though, it has intensified, particularly after I began tirz at the start of this year.

Having spent a lifetime coping with this, I’ll share what I recommend:

1. Have your hormones checked. For women who still menstruate, request a complete hormone panel. Peri-menopause may begin in the 30s, or even sooner, when hormone disruption is present—and obesity can cause that disruption. For women past menstruation, inquire about hormone replacement, including testosterone supplementation. For men, obesity similarly affects hormones, and testosterone replacement can be transformative when it is needed.

2. The most important lifestyle shift for lessening anhedonia is savoring. Make an active effort to notice things that do feel good, could feel good, or ought to feel good. Then intentionally take part in those activities and truly, deliberately, soak in/wallow in/engage with them. Say to yourself that you’re having fun, that it’s a good time, that you’re enjoying it. I realize that may sound silly, but by altering your thoughts about a situation, you can persuade your brain to release more positive chemicals.

3. Find out which things cause the release of the feel-good chemicals, then do all of them every day. Dopamine, the reward chemical, calls for reward-seeking behavior: making goals and reaching them, rewarding yourself for “good behavior,” and listening to music (our brain’s anticipation networks consider music HIGHLY rewarding). Oxytocin, the bonding chemical, comes from hugging someone, cuddling, sex, a long kiss, or petting your dog. Serotonin, the contentment chemical, gets released once you are ok. You are good. Nothing bad is happening. So seek out ways to take joy in small things, stay present, let your brain rest (PUT DOWN THE PHONE), and spend some time simply realizing that you are good in this moment. Endorphins, which serve as energy and pain-relief chemicals, come from working out really hard, doing exciting things, and having adventures. Last, GABA serves as the rest-and-relax chemical. Meditate, breathe, do progressive muscle relaxation, yoga.

4. NOTE: For many people, anhedonia appears once anxiety disappears. When you are anxious much of the time, your brain is set up to scan for danger, and having less anxiety can feel like flatness—as though something is wrong. The only way to help that flatness improve is learning to accept the absence of threat.

5. Supplements I’ve found useful—5htp (in the past, when my anhedonia came with fairly severe depression, this was literally a lifesaver for me). Tyrosine (not ideal in my case, but it takes the edge off and lifts mood a little). DLPhenylalanine—this affects my overall mood most strongly and my capacity to engage in positive behaviors.
Good information all around, and I’m happy you mentioned GABA. I began taking pregnenolone (nutricost 10mg) and it helped my anxiety a lot. Paired with lithium orotate, some days I nearly feel normal.

In men, pregnenolone works somewhat like progesterone supplementation does for women; it serves as the hormonal precursor to gabaergic neurosteroids.

tryingzen said:

kazza94x said:

Hey everyone,

Lately I’ve been noticing more flatness, tiredness, exhaustion, extreme fatigue, very dry skin, and a bit of emptiness.

I’m working with a therapist and doctor, etc., but these things have been ramping up after reta. Before that I was on sema and had no issues.

Has anyone else gone through something similar?

When did yours begin?

How bad does it get?

What do you do to cope?

Only share if you’re comfortable. No pressure.
I apologize in advance—there’s a lot I want to cover, so this will be quite lengthy.

Anhedonia has been something I’ve dealt with for many years. Over the past year, though, it has intensified, particularly after I began tirz at the start of this year.

Having spent a lifetime coping with this, I’ll share what I recommend:

1. Have your hormones checked. For women who still menstruate, request a complete hormone panel. Peri-menopause may begin in the 30s, or even sooner, when hormone disruption is present—and obesity can cause that disruption. For women past menstruation, inquire about hormone replacement, including testosterone supplementation. For men, obesity similarly affects hormones, and testosterone replacement can be transformative when it is needed.

2. The most important lifestyle shift for lessening anhedonia is savoring. Make an active effort to notice things that do feel good, could feel good, or ought to feel good. Then intentionally take part in those activities and truly, deliberately, soak in/wallow in/engage with them. Say to yourself that you’re having fun, that it’s a good time, that you’re enjoying it. I realize that may sound silly, but by altering your thoughts about a situation, you can persuade your brain to release more positive chemicals.

3. Find out which things cause the release of the feel-good chemicals, then do all of them every day. Dopamine, the reward chemical, calls for reward-seeking behavior: making goals and reaching them, rewarding yourself for “good behavior,” and listening to music (our brain’s anticipation networks consider music HIGHLY rewarding). Oxytocin, the bonding chemical, comes from hugging someone, cuddling, sex, a long kiss, or petting your dog. Serotonin, the contentment chemical, gets released once you are ok. You are good. Nothing bad is happening. So seek out ways to take joy in small things, stay present, let your brain rest (PUT DOWN THE PHONE), and spend some time simply realizing that you are good in this moment. Endorphins, which serve as energy and pain-relief chemicals, come from working out really hard, doing exciting things, and having adventures. Last, GABA serves as the rest-and-relax chemical. Meditate, breathe, do progressive muscle relaxation, yoga.

4. NOTE: For many people, anhedonia appears once anxiety disappears. When you are anxious much of the time, your brain is set up to scan for danger, and having less anxiety can feel like flatness—as though something is wrong. The only way to help that flatness improve is learning to accept the absence of threat.

5. Supplements I’ve found useful—5htp (in the past, when my anhedonia came with fairly severe depression, this was literally a lifesaver for me). Tyrosine (not ideal in my case, but it takes the edge off and lifts mood a little). DLPhenylalanine—this affects my overall mood most strongly and my capacity to engage in positive behaviors.
Exactly! Even more so when someone has no job and no hobbies.

tryingzen said:

kazza94x said:

Hey everyone,

Lately I’ve been noticing more flatness, tiredness, exhaustion, extreme fatigue, very dry skin, and a bit of emptiness.

I’m working with a therapist and doctor, etc., but these things have been ramping up after reta. Before that I was on sema and had no issues.

Has anyone else gone through something similar?

When did yours begin?

How bad does it get?

What do you do to cope?

Only share if you’re comfortable. No pressure.
I apologize in advance—there’s a lot I want to cover, so this will be quite lengthy.

Anhedonia has been something I’ve dealt with for many years. Over the past year, though, it has intensified, particularly after I began tirz at the start of this year.

Having spent a lifetime coping with this, I’ll share what I recommend:

1. Have your hormones checked. For women who still menstruate, request a complete hormone panel. Peri-menopause may begin in the 30s, or even sooner, when hormone disruption is present—and obesity can cause that disruption. For women past menstruation, inquire about hormone replacement, including testosterone supplementation. For men, obesity similarly affects hormones, and testosterone replacement can be transformative when it is needed.

2. The most important lifestyle shift for lessening anhedonia is savoring. Make an active effort to notice things that do feel good, could feel good, or ought to feel good. Then intentionally take part in those activities and truly, deliberately, soak in/wallow in/engage with them. Say to yourself that you’re having fun, that it’s a good time, that you’re enjoying it. I realize that may sound silly, but by altering your thoughts about a situation, you can persuade your brain to release more positive chemicals.

3. Find out which things cause the release of the feel-good chemicals, then do all of them every day. Dopamine, the reward chemical, calls for reward-seeking behavior: making goals and reaching them, rewarding yourself for “good behavior,” and listening to music (our brain’s anticipation networks consider music HIGHLY rewarding). Oxytocin, the bonding chemical, comes from hugging someone, cuddling, sex, a long kiss, or petting your dog. Serotonin, the contentment chemical, gets released once you are ok. You are good. Nothing bad is happening. So seek out ways to take joy in small things, stay present, let your brain rest (PUT DOWN THE PHONE), and spend some time simply realizing that you are good in this moment. Endorphins, which serve as energy and pain-relief chemicals, come from working out really hard, doing exciting things, and having adventures. Last, GABA serves as the rest-and-relax chemical. Meditate, breathe, do progressive muscle relaxation, yoga.

4. NOTE: For many people, anhedonia appears once anxiety disappears. When you are anxious much of the time, your brain is set up to scan for danger, and having less anxiety can feel like flatness—as though something is wrong. The only way to help that flatness improve is learning to accept the absence of threat.

5. Supplements I’ve found useful—5htp (in the past, when my anhedonia came with fairly severe depression, this was literally a lifesaver for me). Tyrosine (not ideal in my case, but it takes the edge off and lifts mood a little). DLPhenylalanine—this affects my overall mood most strongly and my capacity to engage in positive behaviors.
I need to warn people off 5HTP. A huge number of people run into trouble with it, and it isn’t a safe serotonin booster. L-Tryptophan is far safer.

sheilarae74 said:

kazza94x said:

sheilarae74 said:

In a way, I see anhedonia as somewhat beneficial: the things that used to irritate me or trigger anxiety no longer bother me at all. My appetite for most of the unhealthy food I once consumed has also disappeared. Still, there are plenty of negative aspects. I have turned into something of a hermit. Activities that I formerly liked no longer bring me pleasure. Over the past few weeks, my motivation appears to have dropped even further. My original goal in losing weight was simply to gain more energy so I could complete tasks. Eating more would likely help me feel at least a bit better, but right now I must struggle just to consume enough to not starve. This has turned into a damaging loop, and I likely ought to look into it further.
That sounds awful. I also stay at home most of the time and keep myself away from other people. I suspect it might take a while for us to rediscover ourselves prior to us having a harmful relationship with food. What's your view?
Honestly, I doubt I've ever had a healthy dynamic with food.
Yeah, you’re telling me. Food was my gateway drug. I’ve been demolishing large pizzas since I was a 200lb 12 year old.
Reading this, along with several other replies, feels like someone wrote out my own biography, haha.

Food came first as an addiction; drugs came second. Eventually, I dropped all the weight and, for the first time ever, I looked great, yet I threw myself hard into drugs for years and ended up truly unable to function. A very serious mental-health breakdown followed, and family, doctors, and medication helped me at last leave those years of drug addiction behind. Even so, I returned IMMEDIATELY to the thing that had always been my poison—the love I’d had longest, and the comfort I’d known since I was a boy: food. I ballooned..

These days, though, Reta has helped me shed 9 kilos across 4.5 weeks 💪. The adhedonia has actually become somewhat of a relief; I have bad ADHD, and I believe 100% that Reta has given my mind some calm, while my ability to concentrate is clearly higher. Experiencing positivity is unfamiliar. 🫡
If Ireland were home, I'd turn enormous. Brennans with Kerrygold, plus Tayto sambos, would be my downfall.
 
kazza94x said:

Hey everyone,

Lately I’ve been noticing more flatness, tiredness, exhaustion, extreme fatigue, very dry skin, and a bit of emptiness.

I’m working with a therapist and doctor, etc., but these things have been ramping up after reta. Before that I was on sema and had no issues.

Has anyone else gone through something similar?

When did yours begin?

How bad does it get?

What do you do to cope?

Only share if you’re comfortable. No pressure.
Hello!

I haven't been around here long, but the same thing has hit me because of extremely hot weather and mounjaro. Most people enjoy summer; I have never been a fan of it. This isn't a new thing for me.

Since I couldn't train—no exaggeration—I lowered monjuaro from 2,5 to 1,25 and added reta 0,50.

Is there anything you truly love? For me, it's my dog, music, and dancing. Do more of that, even when at first you don't feel like beginning. Please, try it.

I'm no expert at all. I have lived with severe depression, and I understand how you feel, but please don't quit. Not right now.

Get your protein in, take BCAA'S (I get the sense glucagon shows no mercy whatsoever), and even when fruit o potato (carbs) are not what you want, eat them.

Another thing that helps me is taking a walk and staying in the present moment. Our circadian rhythms get reset by the sun.

I realize it sounds very basic, but I want to give you encouragement.

Sending plenty of good energy your way.
 
Back
Top