Reta and lowered sex drive: anyone else?

black_tweets

Explorer
Joined
May 19, 2025
Messages
8
Reaction score
0
Location
Chicago
hey everyone - has anyone else run into this after getting on reta? My first dose was in July 2025....I began at very small amounts (0.25mg) and worked my way to 3mg/week. Fat loss has been slow but seriously AH-MAZING!! I've hit my goal weight and now I'm only taking it to hold steady. The issue: my libido is completely gone. It was never spectacular to start with, but it definitely existed. When I try to pinpoint when this began, the timeline seems to line up with reta. Is anyone else dealing with the same thing? Trying to figure out whether this is just me or something reta causes?
 
Honestly, that tracks. Reta could be playing a role here. There are several possible explanations.

A decrease in sex drive is something some users of GLP-1s/dual agonists report, and it frequently comes back to how the medication influences appetite, energy, and mood.

Even during maintenance, calorie intake tends to stay below what it used to be, and existing in that lower-calorie state can bring on tiredness and fatigue, since the body is running on less fuel and adjusting to that. Calorie restriction is well known to do this — the body downshifts and conserves energy, and libido can drop as a result.

For some individuals, Reta may also bring about emotional flatness or a dip in motivation, given its effect on brain reward pathways, so previously exciting or desirable things may feel dulled. Evidence also points to GLP-1 signaling influencing the brain's reward and motivation circuits, which sheds light on why motivation or emotional response can feel blunted in some people.

Beyond that, losing weight and eating less can alter hormones such as estrogen and testosterone, which may further affect libido.

So while a lower sex drive may not appear among the commonly listed side effects, low energy, a calorie deficit, emotional flatness, and hormonal shifts together can POTENTIALLY contribute and change it.
 
redbullwings said:

Honestly, that tracks. Reta could be playing a role here. There are several possible explanations.

A decrease in sex drive is something some users of GLP-1s/dual agonists report, and it frequently comes back to how the medication influences appetite, energy, and mood.

Even during maintenance, calorie intake tends to stay below what it used to be, and existing in that lower-calorie state can bring on tiredness and fatigue, since the body is running on less fuel and adjusting to that. Calorie restriction is well known to do this — the body downshifts and conserves energy, and libido can drop as a result.

For some individuals, Reta may also bring about emotional flatness or a dip in motivation, given its effect on brain reward pathways, so previously exciting or desirable things may feel dulled. Evidence also points to GLP-1 signaling influencing the brain's reward and motivation circuits, which sheds light on why motivation or emotional response can feel blunted in some people.

Beyond that, losing weight and eating less can alter hormones such as estrogen and testosterone, which may further affect libido.

So while a lower sex drive may not appear among the commonly listed side effects, low energy, a calorie deficit, emotional flatness, and hormonal shifts together can POTENTIALLY contribute and change it.

black_tweets said:

hey everyone - has anyone else run into this after getting on reta? My first dose was in July 2025....I began at very small amounts (0.25mg) and worked my way to 3mg/week. Fat loss has been slow but seriously AH-MAZING!! I've hit my goal weight and now I'm only taking it to hold steady. The issue: my libido is completely gone. It was never spectacular to start with, but it definitely existed. When I try to pinpoint when this began, the timeline seems to line up with reta. Is anyone else dealing with the same thing? Trying to figure out whether this is just me or something reta causes?
For roughly the past 18 months, this has been a struggle for me. Desire has been completely absent.

Prior to starting Tirz, I was consistently interested in doing things, and around 4 months in I had lost roughly 20 pounds, but at that point my interest disappeared. Over the last 16 months or so, intimacy with my wife has been very rare. Fortunately, she has been incredibly understanding. Still, it has been a source of frustration for me.

I looked into it, and while there is documentation that this can happen, it is uncommon. From what I understand, it involves the same mechanism behind food cravings. Essentially a reward system.

I attempted a switch to Reta, and it made no difference. So I figured maybe I was simply stuck. Then I came across information suggesting it might be how antidepressants interact with GLP1s. So I chose to cut my dose of that medication in half.

After 2 weeks, I am not back to how I once was, but I notice I am wanting it more and more.

Perhaps this is just wishful thinking, but if that is the case, so be it. It is a welcome change!

Just some things to consider!
 
Could this be tied to elevated cortisol? Do you do resistance training and keep your nutrition in check? Would you be okay sharing your age and gender with me?
 
black_tweets said:

hey everyone - has anyone else run into this after getting on reta? My first dose was in July 2025....I began at very small amounts (0.25mg) and worked my way to 3mg/week. Fat loss has been slow but seriously AH-MAZING!! I've hit my goal weight and now I'm only taking it to hold steady. The issue: my libido is completely gone. It was never spectacular to start with, but it definitely existed. When I try to pinpoint when this began, the timeline seems to line up with reta. Is anyone else dealing with the same thing? Trying to figure out whether this is just me or something reta causes?
At the beginning I did, though roughly 1 month later it returned.
 
redbullwings said:

Honestly, that tracks. Reta could be playing a role here. There are several possible explanations.

A decrease in sex drive is something some users of GLP-1s/dual agonists report, and it frequently comes back to how the medication influences appetite, energy, and mood.

Even during maintenance, calorie intake tends to stay below what it used to be, and existing in that lower-calorie state can bring on tiredness and fatigue, since the body is running on less fuel and adjusting to that. Calorie restriction is well known to do this — the body downshifts and conserves energy, and libido can drop as a result.

For some individuals, Reta may also bring about emotional flatness or a dip in motivation, given its effect on brain reward pathways, so previously exciting or desirable things may feel dulled. Evidence also points to GLP-1 signaling influencing the brain's reward and motivation circuits, which sheds light on why motivation or emotional response can feel blunted in some people.

Beyond that, losing weight and eating less can alter hormones such as estrogen and testosterone, which may further affect libido.

So while a lower sex drive may not appear among the commonly listed side effects, low energy, a calorie deficit, emotional flatness, and hormonal shifts together can POTENTIALLY contribute and change it.
Wow — it's as if you looked right into my head! I've been struggling to find the right words for what I've been going through, and "emotional flatness" nails it exactly! At my yearly checkup I put the same question to my doctor... whether feeling less excited about things is just normal at my age (42), and she told me yes, that's simply how life goes. She has no idea I'm taking reta, though. This makes so much sense, and it's a relief to know I'm not the only one. Thank you so much!!
 
BubbaZ said:

redbullwings said:

Honestly, that tracks. Reta could be playing a role here. There are several possible explanations.

A decrease in sex drive is something some users of GLP-1s/dual agonists report, and it frequently comes back to how the medication influences appetite, energy, and mood.

Even during maintenance, calorie intake tends to stay below what it used to be, and existing in that lower-calorie state can bring on tiredness and fatigue, since the body is running on less fuel and adjusting to that. Calorie restriction is well known to do this — the body downshifts and conserves energy, and libido can drop as a result.

For some individuals, Reta may also bring about emotional flatness or a dip in motivation, given its effect on brain reward pathways, so previously exciting or desirable things may feel dulled. Evidence also points to GLP-1 signaling influencing the brain's reward and motivation circuits, which sheds light on why motivation or emotional response can feel blunted in some people.

Beyond that, losing weight and eating less can alter hormones such as estrogen and testosterone, which may further affect libido.

So while a lower sex drive may not appear among the commonly listed side effects, low energy, a calorie deficit, emotional flatness, and hormonal shifts together can POTENTIALLY contribute and change it.

black_tweets said:

hey everyone - has anyone else run into this after getting on reta? My first dose was in July 2025....I began at very small amounts (0.25mg) and worked my way to 3mg/week. Fat loss has been slow but seriously AH-MAZING!! I've hit my goal weight and now I'm only taking it to hold steady. The issue: my libido is completely gone. It was never spectacular to start with, but it definitely existed. When I try to pinpoint when this began, the timeline seems to line up with reta. Is anyone else dealing with the same thing? Trying to figure out whether this is just me or something reta causes?
For roughly the past 18 months, this has been a struggle for me. Desire has been completely absent.

Prior to starting Tirz, I was consistently interested in doing things, and around 4 months in I had lost roughly 20 pounds, but at that point my interest disappeared. Over the last 16 months or so, intimacy with my wife has been very rare. Fortunately, she has been incredibly understanding. Still, it has been a source of frustration for me.

I looked into it, and while there is documentation that this can happen, it is uncommon. From what I understand, it involves the same mechanism behind food cravings. Essentially a reward system.

I attempted a switch to Reta, and it made no difference. So I figured maybe I was simply stuck. Then I came across information suggesting it might be how antidepressants interact with GLP1s. So I chose to cut my dose of that medication in half.

After 2 weeks, I am not back to how I once was, but I notice I am wanting it more and more.

Perhaps this is just wishful thinking, but if that is the case, so be it. It is a welcome change!

Just some things to consider!
It hadn't crossed my mind that it could clash with bupropion, which I've been taking every day at the smallest dose. I'll give taking it every other day a shot and check whether that makes a difference. Thanks so much!!!
 
articfox said:

Could this be tied to elevated cortisol? Do you do resistance training and keep your nutrition in check? Would you be okay sharing your age and gender with me?
I do bootcamp-style workouts 5-6x a week, mixing strength days with cardio days. I'm a woman, and my 42nd birthday is about a month away. When it comes to eating well...honestly, no. My appetite is basically gone, and although I make an effort to get some protein in, I'm nowhere close to even 50g daily, which I realize is pretty bad.
 
black_tweets said:

BubbaZ said:

redbullwings said:

Honestly, that tracks. Reta could be playing a role here. There are several possible explanations.

A decrease in sex drive is something some users of GLP-1s/dual agonists report, and it frequently comes back to how the medication influences appetite, energy, and mood.

Even during maintenance, calorie intake tends to stay below what it used to be, and existing in that lower-calorie state can bring on tiredness and fatigue, since the body is running on less fuel and adjusting to that. Calorie restriction is well known to do this — the body downshifts and conserves energy, and libido can drop as a result.

For some individuals, Reta may also bring about emotional flatness or a dip in motivation, given its effect on brain reward pathways, so previously exciting or desirable things may feel dulled. Evidence also points to GLP-1 signaling influencing the brain's reward and motivation circuits, which sheds light on why motivation or emotional response can feel blunted in some people.

Beyond that, losing weight and eating less can alter hormones such as estrogen and testosterone, which may further affect libido.

So while a lower sex drive may not appear among the commonly listed side effects, low energy, a calorie deficit, emotional flatness, and hormonal shifts together can POTENTIALLY contribute and change it.

black_tweets said:

hey everyone - has anyone else run into this after getting on reta? My first dose was in July 2025....I began at very small amounts (0.25mg) and worked my way to 3mg/week. Fat loss has been slow but seriously AH-MAZING!! I've hit my goal weight and now I'm only taking it to hold steady. The issue: my libido is completely gone. It was never spectacular to start with, but it definitely existed. When I try to pinpoint when this began, the timeline seems to line up with reta. Is anyone else dealing with the same thing? Trying to figure out whether this is just me or something reta causes?
For roughly the past 18 months, this has been a struggle for me. Desire has been completely absent.

Prior to starting Tirz, I was consistently interested in doing things, and around 4 months in I had lost roughly 20 pounds, but at that point my interest disappeared. Over the last 16 months or so, intimacy with my wife has been very rare. Fortunately, she has been incredibly understanding. Still, it has been a source of frustration for me.

I looked into it, and while there is documentation that this can happen, it is uncommon. From what I understand, it involves the same mechanism behind food cravings. Essentially a reward system.

I attempted a switch to Reta, and it made no difference. So I figured maybe I was simply stuck. Then I came across information suggesting it might be how antidepressants interact with GLP1s. So I chose to cut my dose of that medication in half.

After 2 weeks, I am not back to how I once was, but I notice I am wanting it more and more.

Perhaps this is just wishful thinking, but if that is the case, so be it. It is a welcome change!

Just some things to consider!
It hadn't crossed my mind that it could clash with bupropion, which I've been taking every day at the smallest dose. I'll give taking it every other day a shot and check whether that makes a difference. Thanks so much!!!
For me it's Bupropian. My dose went from 300 down to 150. It's made a real difference, no question.
 
I just wanted to chime in with my 2 cents!

First off, I'm not a doctor. These are simply my own findings.

I've been on Reta for 6 months, and before that I spent roughly 2 months in a calorie deficit 'au natural'. Like you, I felt quite 'flat' and had a pretty rough time with low libido, so I recently had a full blood panel done. Rather than speculate, I wanted real evidence about what was happening, since I worried something else might be going on.

Luckily, there was nothing else going on, so I'm very healthy!

That said, and I'm not saying this applies to you, since only proper blood tests can confirm that, my SHBG (Sex-Hormone Binding Globulin) is very high (81). My understanding is that this comes from the ongoing calorie deficit, at times 1000 calories below my TDEE, which pushed my body into a kind of 'fight' mode to protect itself.

From what I gather, speaking as a layman, the high SHBG is 'scooping up' a big share of the free testosterone in my body. That's what's behind the missing libido and the 'flatness' or 'tiredness' I had.

I dropped my dose and raised my calories. It seems to have helped quite a lot, though not entirely.

I hope this is useful to someone else in the same situation 🙂
 
Bunts said:

I just wanted to chime in with my 2 cents!

First off, I'm not a doctor. These are simply my own findings.

I've been on Reta for 6 months, and before that I spent roughly 2 months in a calorie deficit 'au natural'. Like you, I felt quite 'flat' and had a pretty rough time with low libido, so I recently had a full blood panel done. Rather than speculate, I wanted real evidence about what was happening, since I worried something else might be going on.

Luckily, there was nothing else going on, so I'm very healthy!

That said, and I'm not saying this applies to you, since only proper blood tests can confirm that, my SHBG (Sex-Hormone Binding Globulin) is very high (81). My understanding is that this comes from the ongoing calorie deficit, at times 1000 calories below my TDEE, which pushed my body into a kind of 'fight' mode to protect itself.

From what I gather, speaking as a layman, the high SHBG is 'scooping up' a big share of the free testosterone in my body. That's what's behind the missing libido and the 'flatness' or 'tiredness' I had.

I dropped my dose and raised my calories. It seems to have helped quite a lot, though not entirely.

I hope this is useful to someone else in the same situation 🙂
wow, this is incredibly useful!! I went through a complete blood panel too (thanks Function Health!) and my SHBG came back at 92! At first glance I brushed it off, since the app labels it "within range;" toward the upper end, but still inside range, so I figured it was no big deal. I'm considering lowering my dose gradually as well, in hopes that some sensations and sex drive return. I really appreciate it!!
 
black_tweets said:

Bunts said:

I just wanted to chime in with my 2 cents!

First off, I'm not a doctor. These are simply my own findings.

I've been on Reta for 6 months, and before that I spent roughly 2 months in a calorie deficit 'au natural'. Like you, I felt quite 'flat' and had a pretty rough time with low libido, so I recently had a full blood panel done. Rather than speculate, I wanted real evidence about what was happening, since I worried something else might be going on.

Luckily, there was nothing else going on, so I'm very healthy!

That said, and I'm not saying this applies to you, since only proper blood tests can confirm that, my SHBG (Sex-Hormone Binding Globulin) is very high (81). My understanding is that this comes from the ongoing calorie deficit, at times 1000 calories below my TDEE, which pushed my body into a kind of 'fight' mode to protect itself.

From what I gather, speaking as a layman, the high SHBG is 'scooping up' a big share of the free testosterone in my body. That's what's behind the missing libido and the 'flatness' or 'tiredness' I had.

I dropped my dose and raised my calories. It seems to have helped quite a lot, though not entirely.

I hope this is useful to someone else in the same situation 🙂
wow, this is incredibly useful!! I went through a complete blood panel too (thanks Function Health!) and my SHBG came back at 92! At first glance I brushed it off, since the app labels it "within range;" toward the upper end, but still inside range, so I figured it was no big deal. I'm considering lowering my dose gradually as well, in hopes that some sensations and sex drive return. I really appreciate it!!
Yay, that makes me so happy it was useful for you! Thanks for telling me.

Based only on my own experience: spend a couple of weeks eating at maintenance calories again. Make sure you keep carbs suitably high, possibly a bit higher than feels comfortable. And from what I've read, healthy fats matter a lot for hormonal balance. That ought to be enough to sort it out and have you set to keep going!

Best of luck 🙂
 
Back
Top