Reta and Klow Before Dental Work?

Joined
Feb 8, 2026
Messages
27
Reaction score
0
Location
New Jersey
I’ve got actual dental treatment coming up, which feels odd for someone whose teeth are in great shape. Apparently I’m grinding them, and now a crown is needed. The only prior items are my wisdom teeth being taken out and one cavity, so routine cleanings are all I know at the dentist. So, is there any issue with being on Reta and KLOW and then receiving the local anesthetic—lidocaine, as I understand it? Naturally, I’ll have to let the dentist know I use Mounjaro just to be safe and hear what they think. These things appear unrelated to me, but I truly don’t know, and my google-fu has failed me. Any insight would be appreciated.
 
The BPC inside KLOW has the potential to interact with anesthetics, and with morphine or other painkillers too.

For something like a crown, I doubt Reta makes any practical difference either way.
 
My guess is that no problem will arise, provided you aren't prescribed oral antibiotics once the procedure is done. If antibiotics are needed, you'd want to avoid anything that slows digestion. Still, antibiotics are not commonly given for a straightforward crown. Checking with your dentist could be a good idea.
 
BlatantlyObviousXL said:

I’ve got actual dental treatment coming up, which feels odd for someone whose teeth are in great shape. Apparently I’m grinding them, and now a crown is needed. The only prior items are my wisdom teeth being taken out and one cavity, so routine cleanings are all I know at the dentist. So, is there any issue with being on Reta and KLOW and then receiving the local anesthetic—lidocaine, as I understand it? Naturally, I’ll have to let the dentist know I use Mounjaro just to be safe and hear what they think. These things appear unrelated to me, but I truly don’t know, and my google-fu has failed me. Any insight would be appreciated.
Whenever a scenario like this arises, the usual thing to do is ask WWKRD?

(What Would Keith Richards Do)
 
Rolltide61 said:

BlatantlyObviousXL said:

I’ve got actual dental treatment coming up, which feels odd for someone whose teeth are in great shape. Apparently I’m grinding them, and now a crown is needed. The only prior items are my wisdom teeth being taken out and one cavity, so routine cleanings are all I know at the dentist. So, is there any issue with being on Reta and KLOW and then receiving the local anesthetic—lidocaine, as I understand it? Naturally, I’ll have to let the dentist know I use Mounjaro just to be safe and hear what they think. These things appear unrelated to me, but I truly don’t know, and my google-fu has failed me. Any insight would be appreciated.
Whenever a scenario like this arises, the usual thing to do is ask WWKRD?

(What Would Keith Richards Do)
I am dying 🤣☠️
 
BlatantlyObviousXL said:

I’ve got actual dental treatment coming up, which feels odd for someone whose teeth are in great shape. Apparently I’m grinding them, and now a crown is needed. The only prior items are my wisdom teeth being taken out and one cavity, so routine cleanings are all I know at the dentist. So, is there any issue with being on Reta and KLOW and then receiving the local anesthetic—lidocaine, as I understand it? Naturally, I’ll have to let the dentist know I use Mounjaro just to be safe and hear what they think. These things appear unrelated to me, but I truly don’t know, and my google-fu has failed me. Any insight would be appreciated.
If they aren't putting you under, you should be okay. But if you do go under, they have to be informed, since aspiration is a concern. The glp slows digestion and delays emptying of your digestive tract, which means a higher chance that food remains inside. Usually they'll recommend no glp for 1-2 weeks, or a liquid-only diet for 2-3 day prior to surgery.
 
FartfulCodger said:

My guess is that no problem will arise, provided you aren't prescribed oral antibiotics once the procedure is done. If antibiotics are needed, you'd want to avoid anything that slows digestion. Still, antibiotics are not commonly given for a straightforward crown. Checking with your dentist could be a good idea.
Sharing my own experience: since February ‘26, Tirzepatide has been part of my routine. In April ‘26, I needed two root canals, and that meant 5 appointments total — during the first one, the drill broke off inside my root. I also did two rounds of oral antibiotics, each 10 days long. When I told my dentist and my Endodontist about every medication I take, neither said I needed to stop tirz because of slowed digestion or because of the antibiotics. For me, everything turned out fine. I additionally used one probiotic capsule daily from April through part of May. Your mileage may vary.
 
HouseCat said:

FartfulCodger said:

My guess is that no problem will arise, provided you aren't prescribed oral antibiotics once the procedure is done. If antibiotics are needed, you'd want to avoid anything that slows digestion. Still, antibiotics are not commonly given for a straightforward crown. Checking with your dentist could be a good idea.
Sharing my own experience: since February ‘26, Tirzepatide has been part of my routine. In April ‘26, I needed two root canals, and that meant 5 appointments total — during the first one, the drill broke off inside my root. I also did two rounds of oral antibiotics, each 10 days long. When I told my dentist and my Endodontist about every medication I take, neither said I needed to stop tirz because of slowed digestion or because of the antibiotics. For me, everything turned out fine. I additionally used one probiotic capsule daily from April through part of May. Your mileage may vary.
Oh my, the drill snapped off!! What the hell!!! 😲
 
BlatantlyObviousXL said:

HouseCat said:

FartfulCodger said:

My guess is that no problem will arise, provided you aren't prescribed oral antibiotics once the procedure is done. If antibiotics are needed, you'd want to avoid anything that slows digestion. Still, antibiotics are not commonly given for a straightforward crown. Checking with your dentist could be a good idea.
Sharing my own experience: since February ‘26, Tirzepatide has been part of my routine. In April ‘26, I needed two root canals, and that meant 5 appointments total — during the first one, the drill broke off inside my root. I also did two rounds of oral antibiotics, each 10 days long. When I told my dentist and my Endodontist about every medication I take, neither said I needed to stop tirz because of slowed digestion or because of the antibiotics. For me, everything turned out fine. I additionally used one probiotic capsule daily from April through part of May. Your mileage may vary.
Oh my, the drill snapped off!! What the hell!!! 😲
What I meant was “drill bit,” but still…until this point in my life, just one cavity had ever shown up, so this whole situation felt like a huge amount! Plus, locating an endodontist who accepted my insurance and was also willing to fix work done by a different practitioner? Not a good time. A tip worth remembering: every 6 months, schedule cleanings and X-Rays! (Not like the version of me who spent a decade paying no attention to anything dental 🫣😅)
 
Back
Top