Reta and histamine reaction: swelling, big red patch at the injection site, and itching — anyone else?

Mr. Blonde said:

badsr71 said:

None of my friends or family — a bit more than 30 people — have had a histamine reaction to Reta. With MOTS, though, it is a different situation, particularly when the dose is higher.
Mots never gave me that. My dose was 10mg, taken 3x each week. Beyond that, it didn't really do anything else for me either. Apparently I'm already optimized. I envy anyone who actually sees results from Mots. Lucky bastards.
Mots left me completely drained. After 3 weeks I quit, even though my diet, supplements & exercise are always locked in. Next I plan to run SS31 and then mots, hoping for better results!
 
ambot88 said:

Someone I know has been developing huge red welts from the reta, which came from the same batch I have - she attempted every method I could suggest, yet each week the reaction grew more severe, leaving her no choice but to stop using it.
Yeah, he's close to giving up on it!
 
Reta hasn't done that to me, but Tirz absolutely did! It got bad enough that I had to quit it altogether. Whether this is the reason Reta hasn't triggered anything for me I can't say for sure, but on the day I inject, I also put 500mcg of KPV into a spot roughly two inches from where the Reta goes in. On top of that, it seems to ease the unbearable skin sensitivity and itching I get between my shoulder blades the day after my Reta shot.
 
Hambocommando said:

Reta hasn't done that to me, but Tirz absolutely did! It got bad enough that I had to quit it altogether. Whether this is the reason Reta hasn't triggered anything for me I can't say for sure, but on the day I inject, I also put 500mcg of KPV into a spot roughly two inches from where the Reta goes in. On top of that, it seems to ease the unbearable skin sensitivity and itching I get between my shoulder blades the day after my Reta shot.
The KPV part is interesting... I'm curious whether it might do something for the skin sensitivity/allodynia I've been getting from the Reta. A kit is on its way, so I'll find out.
 
Summer48 said:

This has occurred to me on numerous occasions, though it was with a Mounjaro pen made by EL. After switching to the gray market version, I've had zero issues. A few of those red welts would itch intensely.
Strange that the gray version doesn't trigger this for you! Does it quiet food noise to roughly the same degree?
 
CraigLSU said:

Has Reta ever triggered a histamine reaction for anyone here — swelling, a large red area surrounding the injection site, and itching?
It happens without fail, every time. The reaction sticks around for roughly 10 or 11 days. Once cortisol falls and histamine climbs at night, the flare-up gets even more intense. At times a red border shows up alongside it. KPV gives me no relief. In fact, my KPV shots also swell and flare. What a blast!

d7e4d4ae4ca6f52f2c689302e5789f57ff89ba45a0159cf060570f594347d358.webp
 
Across 5 separate batches, I've dealt with histamine reactions: that covers 3 compounds (sema, tirz, reta), with sema and tirz coming from 2 different suppliers. Each round of itching stuck around for 5 to 7 days. When I tested BAC water alone (from 2 suppliers), nothing happened at all.

At a drugstore near me I picked up a lotion combining calamine with an antihistamine. It takes the edge off and gets me through the roughest stretch of the itch. The best fix I've landed on so far is going deeper with the injection. It's not reliable, but these days a histamine reaction hits me roughly 20% of the time.

Going deeper does sting more. On top of that, I have concerns it might raise certain risks (since it looks like it sidesteps the immune system) and possibly cut down how well the GLP-1s work. I've come across accounts from people who said their histamine reactions ultimately faded. Fingers crossed I reach that point eventually.
 
Just a heads-up: peptides aren't sterile, so keep that in mind when making choices. Here are a few current photos of R30 and T60 as a reminder:

183722cfa7624339a34c8f5ed3d8a3043067ffaca0cc034e4e4000ddcf02eda7.webp


aed6ff3cb9498ab153b424e0c17c215b3844d7aea4ea413166f034d66ce5b5a4.webp


38e54567c0e8e9146db58720c6e8504a228670b71fc79f169d51dff7c0ae5d4f.webp


937376d9d0c137d62b8a777570a8979c6e2fc9b167696688eae64b1d5fb94de6.webp


ISRs (injection site reactions) most often come from moldy or unsterile peptides. Remember, this isn't pharmacy grade.

Thankfully, PES filters can make these completely sterile and safe. I'm fine using these vials since they've been filtered
 
justaguy97 said:

Just a heads-up: peptides aren't sterile, so keep that in mind when making choices. Here are a few current photos of R30 and T60 as a reminder:

View attachment 10940

View attachment 10941

View attachment 10942

View attachment 10943

ISRs (injection site reactions) most often come from moldy or unsterile peptides. Remember, this isn't pharmacy grade.

Thankfully, PES filters can make these completely sterile and safe. I'm fine using these vials since they've been filtered
At least 5 to 10% of participants in the drug company studies experienced injection site reactions, and I really hope what they were given was sterile. That makes it hard to argue contamination explains the majority of cases. Some certainly are contaminated, sure, yet we lack solid data on how often that happens. A few colony forming units per vial could plausibly produce the growth you see on agar plates, though such a small number probably will not trigger an acute immune response, and in most cases your immune system will clear them before an infection takes hold. A larger burden could set off an immune reaction, but then infection would worry me more. I am not saying filtration is pointless or that peptides from China meet medical sterility standards. What I am saying is that I have still not come across anyone on this forum reporting an infection after a subcutaneous peptide injection.
 
wiggle_zoom said:

Across 5 separate batches, I've dealt with histamine reactions: that covers 3 compounds (sema, tirz, reta), with sema and tirz coming from 2 different suppliers. Each round of itching stuck around for 5 to 7 days. When I tested BAC water alone (from 2 suppliers), nothing happened at all.

At a drugstore near me I picked up a lotion combining calamine with an antihistamine. It takes the edge off and gets me through the roughest stretch of the itch. The best fix I've landed on so far is going deeper with the injection. It's not reliable, but these days a histamine reaction hits me roughly 20% of the time.

Going deeper does sting more. On top of that, I have concerns it might raise certain risks (since it looks like it sidesteps the immune system) and possibly cut down how well the GLP-1s work. I've come across accounts from people who said their histamine reactions ultimately faded. Fingers crossed I reach that point eventually.
That's curious. My guess is that the dermis holds far more resident immune cells than subcutaneous fat does, which would account for a weaker reaction when the shot goes deeper. What it triggers is an immune response, and I doubt the trace amounts of whatever your immune system is targeting would do any harm, so I wouldn't worry about the immune system being bypassed. Set against the sheer volume of junk — bacterial fragments and metabolites included — that crosses from the gut into the blood daily, I doubt it would matter much. One possibility is that you're reacting to the benzyl alcohol in the bac water, so have you tried plain water for injections instead? Being allergic to all 3 peptides strikes me as somewhat improbable.
 
chonkkk said:

Summer48 said:

This has occurred to me on numerous occasions, though it was with a Mounjaro pen made by EL. After switching to the gray market version, I've had zero issues. A few of those red welts would itch intensely.
Strange that the gray version doesn't trigger this for you! Does it quiet food noise to roughly the same degree?
Yep, every one of those symptoms for me. The one thing I still haven't tried is wiping the spot down with alcohol pads — instead I washed it with soap and water prior to pinning. So maybe that's the culprit!
 
DragonOfTheSea said:

justaguy97 said:

For anyone here who has histamine reactions to GLPs:

Do you use filtering?
That's a fair point to raise..

I run all my peptides through a filter, and I haven't run into any histamine problems.
I haven’t done any filtering myself up to now, so I’m unable to tell whether that would change anything. Still, I might give it a try before long.
 
lessthanhalf said:


Interesting. I would assume that there are a lot more immune cells resident in the dermis under the skin than there are in the subcutaneous fat tissue, which would explain why a deeper injection causes a lesser reaction. The problem it causes is the immune reaction, I do not think tiny amounts of whatever your immune system is reacting to are going to be harmful, so I would not be concerned about bypassing the immune system. Compared with the amount of crap literally and bacterial metabolites and fragments that make it through the gut every day into the bloodstream, I doubt it would be significant. In theory it could be the benzyl alcohol in the bac you are reacting to, have you tried plain water for injections instead? Being allergic to all 3 peptides seems a bit unlikely.

Click to expand...
I ran the identical protocol I use for peptides, except the syringe contained only BAC water. Same swabs, same needles, everything. With BAC water by itself, there is zero reaction.

Sterile water is sitting here unused — I have not yet reconstituted anything with it in place of BAC water. The whole vial would need to be finished off in a short window. Since BAC water alone triggers nothing for me, switching to sterile water probably won't fix this anyway.

My first guess was an allergy to whatever filler is in the lyophilized powder. But the timing of my histamine reactions doesn't line up with that. With sema, the first 2-3 shots were fine. It showed up later (around #4 or #5?) and each time got worse. With tirz, shot #1 was clean. Shot #2 gave a tiny reaction. Shot #3 brought an unmistakable histamine reaction, and it escalated after that. Reta followed the same script: nothing initially, then worsening. That points to the active ingredient itself. Dammit! ☹️
 
justaguy97 said:

Just a heads-up: peptides aren't sterile, so keep that in mind when making choices. Here are a few current photos of R30 and T60 as a reminder:

View attachment 10940

View attachment 10941

View attachment 10942

View attachment 10943

ISRs (injection site reactions) most often come from moldy or unsterile peptides. Remember, this isn't pharmacy grade.

Thankfully, PES filters can make these completely sterile and safe. I'm fine using these vials since they've been filtered

wiggle_zoom said:


I have tried doing exactly the same routine I do for peptides, but injecting BAC water alone. Same alcohol pads, same syringes, etc. I get no reaction at all when inject only BAC water.

I have bought sterile water but I have not tried reconstituting with sterile water instead of BAC water. I would have to use up the whole vial pretty quickly. And given that I don't get a reaction to BAC water, I don't expect the swap from BAC water to sterile water to solve the problem.

I thought maybe I was allergic to the filler they use in the lyophilized powder. But then, my histamine reactions don't follow quite the right pattern. When I started sema, I did not have a reaction for the first 2-3 injections. It started a bit later (maybe #4 or #5?) and got progressively worse. When i started tirz, I did not have a reaction to the first injection. Then a teeny-tiny reaction to the second. Then a clear histamine reaction to the third, and progressively worse from there. Same for reta: no reaction at first, then worsening over time. Makes me think I am actually reacting to the active ingredient. Dammit! ☹️

Click to expand...
For me, the first 6 or so shots caused nothing. After that, each injection brought a reaction. Switching to grey stopped them, though I'll have to wait and see whether that holds as the weeks pass.
 
Summer48 said:


Yes all the same only thing I haven’t done is use the alcohol pads instead cleaned the area with soap and water before pinning. So could be that!

Click to expand...
I've come across the idea that using alcohol pads immediately before injecting may lead to redness, so hearing a firsthand account of that is quite interesting!
 
CraigLSU said:

Has Reta ever triggered a histamine reaction for anyone here — swelling, a large red area surrounding the injection site, and itching?
Wow, I have been dealing with the same thing on Tirz!! Eventually I found a different injection method that stops them! I add 1-2 units of plain bac water on top of the medication in the syringe, pushed it in slowly, and used just half of the 12.5 mg — no reaction!! The following morning I took the remaining half in exactly the same manner, and I have been thrilled with no reaction. I have kept this up for 5 months, and I used to get that large red itchy lump lasting 5-6 days — woo hoo!!
 
wiggle_zoom said:


I have tried doing exactly the same routine I do for peptides, but injecting BAC water alone. Same alcohol pads, same syringes, etc. I get no reaction at all when inject only BAC water.

I have bought sterile water but I have not tried reconstituting with sterile water instead of BAC water. I would have to use up the whole vial pretty quickly. And given that I don't get a reaction to BAC water, I don't expect the swap from BAC water to sterile water to solve the problem.

I thought maybe I was allergic to the filler they use in the lyophilized powder. But then, my histamine reactions don't follow quite the right pattern. When I started sema, I did not have a reaction for the first 2-3 injections. It started a bit later (maybe #4 or #5?) and got progressively worse. When i started tirz, I did not have a reaction to the first injection. Then a teeny-tiny reaction to the second. Then a clear histamine reaction to the third, and progressively worse from there. Same for reta: no reaction at first, then worsening over time. Makes me think I am actually reacting to the active ingredient. Dammit! ☹️

Click to expand...
That does sound like an allergy to every one of them, which is a bit of a rough deal. Reacting to the filler mannitol seems unlikely to me, since the molecule is too small to trigger an immune response. Some people are simply more prone to developing allergies than others, and the fact that this was not present at the start but came on quickly more or less guarantees the drug itself is the cause — particularly since sema, tirz and reta all followed roughly the same pattern. Whether it is safe to continue using them depends on how unpleasant and itchy the reactions are; it could be fine as long as there is absolutely no sign of a systemic reaction. Do antihistamines give you any relief? I cannot think of an easy way to combine a tiny dose of injectable antihistamine with the GLP to head off the local reaction, since those are prescription-only and a doctor would be unlikely to prescribe it for that purpose.
 
Back
Top