Reta and gag-reflex sensitivity

Grrrem

Explorer
Joined
Feb 5, 2026
Messages
25
Reaction score
0
Location
Hampshire
Since I began reta, my gag reflex has turned extremely sensitive. In the morning, I cannot drink anything before I brush my teeth and tongue — if I do, I gag and throw up.

Smells that I didn't like before also hit me harder now. Take today: across a 5.5h stretch I had 3 alcoholic drinks, which isn't something I do much anymore since I'm changing my lifestyle. On my way home, as soon as I stepped outside, I walked into cigarette smoke and gagged so badly that I was sick.

Has anyone else experienced a gag reflex this sensitive, to the point of actually being physically sick?

From searching around, I can see some people have dealt with gagging on Tirz, but for me this change has been really clear and consistent.
 
Same here. Taking a whole bunch of tablets at once was never a problem for me before. These days I have to take them in separate batches. And after the gagging kicks in, stopping it is a struggle. My gag reflex has always been pretty much absent, so this is an adjustment. It doesn't actually make me throw up, though.
 
Mewgenic said:

Same here. Taking a whole bunch of tablets at once was never a problem for me before. These days I have to take them in separate batches. And after the gagging kicks in, stopping it is a struggle. My gag reflex has always been pretty much absent, so this is an adjustment. It doesn't actually make me throw up, though.
Absolutely! Once it kicks in, stopping is really tough, and before this I never had any trouble at all. Good to know I'm not alone—taking my supplements is also a problem if I try more than 1 at once.

Up to now I haven't come across much on forums about how to solve this, so if you come across anything that works, please tell me.
 
Grrrem said:

Since I began reta, my gag reflex has turned extremely sensitive. In the morning, I cannot drink anything before I brush my teeth and tongue — if I do, I gag and throw up.

Smells that I didn't like before also hit me harder now. Take today: across a 5.5h stretch I had 3 alcoholic drinks, which isn't something I do much anymore since I'm changing my lifestyle. On my way home, as soon as I stepped outside, I walked into cigarette smoke and gagged so badly that I was sick.

Has anyone else experienced a gag reflex this sensitive, to the point of actually being physically sick?

From searching around, I can see some people have dealt with gagging on Tirz, but for me this change has been really clear and consistent.
When I first exceeded 2mg/week, this became one of the earliest side effects I could clearly notice. These days I'm at 4mg/week and it has largely settled down. For roughly 2-3 weeks my gag reflex felt overly sensitive, then it returned to how it was before. Smells haven't caused me any significant nausea, either.
 
Yeah, I get the gagging reflex as well. I don't have any tips or know-how to help with it. Brushing my teeth and taking my supplements are the worst for setting it off. Ugh…
 
No gag for me, though the dry mouth while sleeping is present, and it only began a few weeks back.
 
I'm not sure Reta alone is at fault here — it feels like the entire GLP category is behind it. Mornings hit me with a wave of disgust toward everything, and I can hardly tolerate any food until much later in the day.
 
It isn't a gag reflex for me, though I've noticed a mild cough that seems to come from a tingling sensation in my throat. I can't tell whether I just happened to pick up a cough about 1 week after I began reta, or whether it's tied to reta sensitivity. Has anyone else dealt with something like this?
 
Interesting. I have experienced a bit of dry mouth, yet I never picked up on any heightened gag reflex. Odd one.
 
Whiynot20026 said:

A dry mouth is a well-known side effect. Time to get horizontal

And reach for your water bottles.

Bill

BNLFL said:

No gag for me, though the dry mouth while sleeping is present, and it only began a few weeks back.

ambot88 said:

Interesting. I have experienced a bit of dry mouth, yet I never picked up on any heightened gag reflex. Odd one.

A dry mouth is something I've noticed too, especially when I wake up, though the gagging and the throwing up that follows don't appear to line up with the moments my mouth is dry.

As for the gagging, it started for me at 4mg, and at this point I'm taking 6mg.
 
Sir Chuck said:

I get it! These days, the sight of new vomit or poo sets off my gag reflex hard.
Yeah, earlier today I saw a movie that was full of snot and vomit, plus a scene where someone eats a bug — cue the gagging.
 
Grrrem said:

Mewgenic said:

Same here. Taking a whole bunch of tablets at once was never a problem for me before. These days I have to take them in separate batches. And after the gagging kicks in, stopping it is a struggle. My gag reflex has always been pretty much absent, so this is an adjustment. It doesn't actually make me throw up, though.
Absolutely! Once it kicks in, stopping is really tough, and before this I never had any trouble at all. Good to know I'm not alone—taking my supplements is also a problem if I try more than 1 at once.

Up to now I haven't come across much on forums about how to solve this, so if you come across anything that works, please tell me.
So far there's nothing that does the trick — I'm just putting up with it. Should I find something, though, you'll be the first to hear
 
Back
Top