Reta and Feeling Cold

Joined
Feb 8, 2026
Messages
71
Reaction score
0
Location
Alabama
I'm not upset about it—usually I run really warm, but lately I've been able to sleep without sweating for the first time in memory, even before I put on extra weight. These days I wear long sleeves and pants to bed and sleep wonderfully...anyone else experiencing this? Currently I take 6mg every 5 days.

Does anyone understand what causes this? I believe I came across something suggesting that fat mobilization boosts subcutaneous blood flow, which then releases heat.
 
MakeNoPeaceWithEvil said:

I'm not upset about it—usually I run really warm, but lately I've been able to sleep without sweating for the first time in memory, even before I put on extra weight. These days I wear long sleeves and pants to bed and sleep wonderfully...anyone else experiencing this? Currently I take 6mg every 5 days.

Does anyone understand what causes this? I believe I came across something suggesting that fat mobilization boosts subcutaneous blood flow, which then releases heat.
I've heard there might be a link to lower inflammation while taking glp1's; it's not unusual for folks on them to experience chills. A number of my friends mention getting chills once they began.
 
MakeNoPeaceWithEvil said:

I'm not upset about it—usually I run really warm, but lately I've been able to sleep without sweating for the first time in memory, even before I put on extra weight. These days I wear long sleeves and pants to bed and sleep wonderfully...anyone else experiencing this? Currently I take 6mg every 5 days.

Does anyone understand what causes this? I believe I came across something suggesting that fat mobilization boosts subcutaneous blood flow, which then releases heat.
Circulation plays a role in this. Normally I run hot, yet ever since I began 6 months ago, my hands and feet have stayed cold. A few months back I put the question to Gemini. What it gave me seems about as solid an explanation as anything else I've come across:

Why GLP-1 Medications Can Make You Feel Cold

Weight Loss and Loss of Insulation

Fat Loss: GLP-1 medications, such as semaglutide (Ozempic, Wegovy), drive weight loss by curbing appetite and calorie intake. When body fat drops, so does natural insulation, so body heat escapes more readily.

Thermoregulation: Fat acts as insulation, and losing it impairs the body's capacity to hold onto heat. The result can be greater sensitivity to cold.

Metabolic Changes

Lower Caloric Intake: Eating less means less energy is available for thermogenesis, the body's heat-production process. Body temperature may therefore fall.

Decreased Metabolic Rate: With weight loss, resting metabolic rate can decline too, cutting heat generation further.

Circulatory Adjustments

Blood Flow Changes: Losing weight can change blood circulation, favoring core warmth over the extremities. Hands and feet may then feel colder.

Hormonal Influences

Thyroid Function: Weight loss can affect thyroid hormone levels, which are key to temperature regulation. When these hormones fluctuate, feeling cold can follow.

Coping With Cold Sensitivity

Dress in Layers: Extra clothing helps trap body heat.

Balanced Diet: Regular, balanced meals support metabolic function and help keep body temperature steady.

Stay Active: Exercise generates body heat and helps preserve muscle mass, which matters for staying warm.

On the whole, feeling cold while taking GLP-1 medications is a normal reaction to weight loss and metabolic shifts, rather than a direct side effect of the drug itself.
 
MakeNoPeaceWithEvil said:

I'm not upset about it—usually I run really warm, but lately I've been able to sleep without sweating for the first time in memory, even before I put on extra weight. These days I wear long sleeves and pants to bed and sleep wonderfully...anyone else experiencing this? Currently I take 6mg every 5 days.

Does anyone understand what causes this? I believe I came across something suggesting that fat mobilization boosts subcutaneous blood flow, which then releases heat.

For me, how chilly I get scales with the dose

Allodynia and anhedonia follow the same pattern
 
I've been using tirz and it's made me feel chilly. Even in the daytime, I keep long sleeves on. When I go to bed, I wear full sweatpants and hoodies plus a blanket. It doesn't bother me because in the summer I don't need to turn my ac up as high.
 
I began at 1mg of reta weekly. I was absolutely freezing. After 5 weeks, since I couldn't sleep, I lowered it to .5mg and the chill has disappeared.

My wife has moved up to 2mg and she says she's cold too. No sleep issues for her, though—I can hear her snoring 😭
 
Haha, I'm in the tropics and ever since September I've been wearing fuzzy socks, long pants, and sweatshirts. My guess is the body panics when it sheds all that insulation it had gotten used to, and then even a tiny dip in surrounding temperature sets off a response.
 
Rolltide61 said:

I figured it was just age catching up with me. 64 didn't seem like it should be that old.
Rolltide, that's great. About the chills, I figure it's more of a women's thing than anything else. Desinr-gal is always saying she's cold, and she lives in Hawaii. Lol
 
With retatrutide, strange skin feelings sometimes come across as coldness. Quite often, I cannot tell whether it is that or genuine cold.
 
lessthanhalf said:

With retatrutide, strange skin feelings sometimes come across as coldness. Quite often, I cannot tell whether it is that or genuine cold.
Both happen to me too. My skin is sensitive, though it's mild enough that I barely register it unless I'm focusing on it... The cold, on the other hand, is no joke, and honestly I've been enjoying it. For the first time since puberty lol, I can sleep at 70F without sweating my ass off
 
Peotidethrowaway said:

My partner is always cold while on Reta or tirz. This winter the heating costs have been very high.
I'm with you. When I began last summer it felt great, but this winter I went way over on heating costs! 9 months in and I'm still feeling cold. Bring on summer!
 
Peotidethrowaway said:

My partner is always cold while on Reta or tirz. This winter the heating costs have been very high.
If you want to lower what you spend on heating, a few homemade heat packs can be made from brand-new cotton socks.

Put flax seeds inside, since their oil content lets the packs hold a "moist" kind of warmth. Sewing the open ends shut is the most secure option, though tying them works too.

Heat them in the microwave in 30 second bursts so they do not scorch, checking along the way to dial in the temperature you like. You can keep using them for weeks.

Three or four of them can be made and draped over your body.

Warmth comes right away, and they work well for chilly feet as well!
 
Back
Top