Reta and Dry Skin

captain_spork

Explorer
Joined
May 19, 2026
Messages
15
Reaction score
0
Location
Dublin
Most of what I read about reta side effects mentions skin sensitivity. Dry skin, though, I have not come across. My face is normally combination — an oily T-zone with dryness elsewhere. Since my first pin 5 days ago, however, the dryness has been extreme, enough that it flakes. Applying moisturiser regularly and getting a good daily amount of fluids plus electrolytes has helped quite a bit. I have not dropped much weight so far, so fat loss is not the cause. I am unsure. Has this happened to anyone else?
 
captain_spork said:

Most of what I read about reta side effects mentions skin sensitivity. Dry skin, though, I have not come across. My face is normally combination — an oily T-zone with dryness elsewhere. Since my first pin 5 days ago, however, the dryness has been extreme, enough that it flakes. Applying moisturiser regularly and getting a good daily amount of fluids plus electrolytes has helped quite a bit. I have not dropped much weight so far, so fat loss is not the cause. I am unsure. Has this happened to anyone else?
When I first started both Reta and Tirz, I experienced this too. It showed up within the first 2 weeks after injecting. My guess is that it's tied to losing a lot of water weight early on, which dries out the skin organs. For days my skin was ashy and dry, and I needed to moisturize 2/3 times a day. In the end, my water intake must have caught up, because it stopped.

By week 4, my skin was back to being hydrated and smooth. So for me, it went away.
 
PepGladiator said:

captain_spork said:

Most of what I read about reta side effects mentions skin sensitivity. Dry skin, though, I have not come across. My face is normally combination — an oily T-zone with dryness elsewhere. Since my first pin 5 days ago, however, the dryness has been extreme, enough that it flakes. Applying moisturiser regularly and getting a good daily amount of fluids plus electrolytes has helped quite a bit. I have not dropped much weight so far, so fat loss is not the cause. I am unsure. Has this happened to anyone else?
When I first started both Reta and Tirz, I experienced this too. It showed up within the first 2 weeks after injecting. My guess is that it's tied to losing a lot of water weight early on, which dries out the skin organs. For days my skin was ashy and dry, and I needed to moisturize 2/3 times a day. In the end, my water intake must have caught up, because it stopped.

By week 4, my skin was back to being hydrated and smooth. So for me, it went away.
Thanks!
 
My eczema has gone wild — it's been a real battle trying to bring it back under control. Antibiotics were just prescribed for it, so with any luck that will finally knock it out. For moisture, Aveeno works quite well. I apply a generous amount multiple times each day.
 
My skin’s sensitivity goes hand in hand with dryness. On top of that, my mouth is extremely dry. A full year has passed and none of these symptoms have eased up. Every day I apply moisturizer and rely on biotene for my mouth, yet neither brings relief…

I’m keeping my fingers crossed that once I quit Reta, this will end…

Thyroid is something worth looking into. It might play a role as well. My labs came back abnormal, but not abnormal enough for treatment…
 
My guess is that your vitamin levels have shifted because of adjustments to what you eat and how you eat it, plus slower stomach emptying. Taking a solid multivitamin in the morning should help you get through periods of dry skin. On top of that, the weather right now is colder than usual for this time of year, which probably isn't doing you any favors. I also agree with the person who suggested aveeno moisturiser — it comes in multiple versions and does work for dry skin. I wouldn't suggest applying it heavily, since a small amount is enough.

What really catches my attention, OP, is the shift in your oily t zone. Could Reta be doing something that dampens that production pathway (maybe by bringing some of your hormones back into balance)?
 
meeklady said:

My eczema has gone wild — it's been a real battle trying to bring it back under control. Antibiotics were just prescribed for it, so with any luck that will finally knock it out. For moisture, Aveeno works quite well. I apply a generous amount multiple times each day.
Wow, my eczema flared up too while I was on reta! Back then I never connected the dots, but after I quit, my eczema hasn't flared up again.
 
Back
Top